Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia's statement is a reasonable and fair one.  Weapons coming in to your adversary are indeed a fair military target.

Problem: good luck executing on that, fuckers.  Hitting a moving convoy, at night, with YOUR air assets, which will be seen coming from literally a hundred miles away?  Seems like a good way to 1) not hit very many actual trucks (maybe you get lucky and hit one or two) and 2) lose some more aircraft.  

Bring it.

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No more quarters.....

And this will become a problem, too.  Russia is going to be stuck using Grads and artillery.  Which is both dumb and messy.  AND requires ground forces near Ukrainian cities and positions to conduct.  Night-time hunting for Ukrainian ground forces may pick up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And this will become a problem, too.  Russia is going to be stuck using Grads and artillery.  Which is both dumb and messy.  AND requires ground forces near Ukrainian cities and positions to conduct.  Night-time hunting for Ukrainian ground forces may pick up.

Their only advantage was always numbers in men/material.  Take that away, you take away their best option for success.  

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Russia's statement is a reasonable and fair one.  Weapons coming in to your adversary are indeed a fair military target.

Problem: good luck executing on that, fuckers.  Hitting a moving convoy, at night, with YOUR air assets, which will be seen coming from literally a hundred miles away?  Seems like a good way to 1) not hit very many actual trucks (maybe you get lucky and hit one or two) and 2) lose some more aircraft.  

Bring it.

The thing to worry about is an attack on the choke points where the stuff is coming across. I’ve been out there recently. If you crater the roads and railways just as they cross the border, this whole rodeo gets shut down. It will also be escalatory with the West and have a high humanitarian cost.  They’re not going to be hunting and killing convoys, this is why the Slovak defense minister warned about strikes on Uzhorod airport and why Lviv airport got hit overnight. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bring it.

Interesting that Russia has little offensive drone capability.  And, their tiny reconnaissance drones may not be being used, or used well.  https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/03/where-are-russias-drones/362612/

Not sure I would have thought drones would be the kind of game-changer that is being demonstrated.

34 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Somebody clarify this for me please. I thought that the petrodollar deal between USA and Saudi Arabia was “we protect you, and you sell petroleum ONLY in USD”. So now Saudi makes a deal with Russia to sell them petroleum for rubles. Wouldn’t USA have to respond to that and say fuck you, we are not arming you anymore?

Tell them good luck with buying that shitty Russian military equipment and being trained by incompetents. 
That’ll work out well when Iran comes rolling through Mecca.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If you crater the roads and railways just as they cross the border, this whole rodeo gets shut down.

Isn't the converse also true?  Russian dependence on rail systems to bring in their material?  Thought I read something early about their mistake (as the germans made in WWII) that the track width/gauge was different from their own and it caused big issues

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interesting that Russia has little offensive drone capability.  And, their tiny reconnaissance drones may not be being used, or used well.  https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/03/where-are-russias-drones/362612/

Not sure I would have thought drones would be the kind of game-changer that is being demonstrated.

Buy em or don't, whatever man, that Russian drone operator still gets to fly drones all day.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Isn't the converse also true?  Russian dependence on rail systems to bring in their material?  Thought I read something early about their mistake (as the germans made in WWII) that the track width/gauge was different from their own and it caused big issues

The Confederates had gauge issues in the Civil War too.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Drone use capability was decisive in the recent Armenia vs Azerjimmyjohhnytommybahami war. Russia's inability to control the air and instead rely on a slow moving tank doctrine has been a gigantic mistake. Especially working in a large flat plains with very little coverage or concealment.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Drone use capability was decisive in the recent Armenia vs Azerjimmyjohhnytommybahami war. Russia's inability to control the air and instead rely on a slow moving tank doctrine has been a gigantic mistake. Especially working in a large flat plains with very little coverage or concealment.

This is still so stunning.  How ill prepared they were.  How bereft of any actual, actionable intel they had.  Bears repeating, but our GW1 forces using tech from that time period would beat the ever living shit out of this modern Russian group.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Somebody clarify this for me please. I thought that the petrodollar deal between USA and Saudi Arabia was “we protect you, and you sell petroleum ONLY in USD”. So now Saudi makes a deal with Russia to sell them petroleum for rubles. Wouldn’t USA have to respond to that and say fuck you, we are not arming you anymore?

You just made the Royal dismemberment list buddy.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

This is still so stunning.  How ill prepared they were.  How bereft of any actual, actionable intel they had.  Bears repeating, but our GW1 forces using tech from that time period would beat the ever living shit out of this modern Russian group.

I don't know if there's been That Dude Who References Sun-Tzu yet, but Putin has pretty much been that dude who does not know himself, and does not know his enemy. Ukrainians appear to be the opposite.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bring it.

Bomb Ass Party GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Wouldn’t USA have to respond to that and say fuck you, we are not arming you anymore?

Let's hope so.  We don't need their oil and they're aholes.  Go be China's vassal.  And good luck finding parts for all those kickass American fighter jets you run.

Edited by Parliament
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There is room for it so long as we recognize that it fundamentally misinterprets the situation. But Putin's motivation was never to keep Ukraine "neutral" and out of NATO. That's what he has claimed, which is precisely how you know it is a lie. In his mind Ukraine belongs to Russia. He doesn't want it independent, neutral, as a barrier to NATO, or anything like that. His demand for Ukrainian "neutrality" was simply a setup to make Ukraine weaker for the inevitable Russian special operation/police action (read: invasion). Ukraine could have done everything he asked. We could have promised not to bring Ukraine into NATO. And Putin would have still sent troops to replace Ukraine's leadership with someone loyal to him. 

THIS.  This is important, and torpedoes MaybeaCoordinator's dude's thesis.  The invasion of Ukraine is not about NATO or NATO expansion - it is about expansion of the envisioned Russian Empire.  And yes, a Russian Empire that doesn't just seek to expand westward, but has been ACTIVELY waging soft warfare against the US and Europe for over a decade in connection with same (sorry, some of you may be willing to forgive and forget Russia's role in Brexit and US elections, but I'm not, and I never will be).  You only stop a bully by punching him in the face.  That's it.  It's not more complicated than that.  You don't have to then go to his house and burn it down, but you have to stand up.  That's it.  It doesn't have to be more, but can't be any less.

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The thing to worry about is an attack on the choke points where the stuff is coming across. I’ve been out there recently. If you crater the roads and railways just as they cross the border, this whole rodeo gets shut down. It will also be escalatory with the West and have a high humanitarian cost.  They’re not going to be hunting and killing convoys, this is why the Slovak defense minister warned about strikes on Uzhorod airport and why Lviv airport got hit overnight. 

I would presume that air defense priorities are pointed that direction.  Russian missiles or aircraft head that way, and they are likely to be taken down.  And, road repair can be done pretty quickly.  You don't have to go 75 over a particular patch of road -- patch it, drive slowly, and then motor onward?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I don't know if there's been That Dude Who References Sun-Tzu yet, but Putin has pretty much been that dude who does not know himself, and does not know his enemy. Ukrainians appear to be the opposite.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I always knew you were Sebastian Gorka in real life.....

DG33LubUMAE8qyf.jpg

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I would presume that air defense priorities are pointed that direction.  Russian missiles or aircraft head that way, and they are likely to be taken down.  And, road repair can be done pretty quickly.  You don't have to go 75 over a particular patch of road -- patch it, drive slowly, and then motor onward?

I thought I read somewhere we were sending Patriot batteries and other SAMs to Poland. Snug them right up on the border, and the PAC-2 Patriots have a 99ish mile range. I'm sure Russia would claim it was an escalation, but they'd have to go sort through a bunch of wreckage to prove it, and good luck with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can you people appreciate what it’s like for me to work with Brisket? I mean, it’s just like this day in and day out.

Well, I saw this gif:
No Survivors GIFs | Tenor

Now change it to "His butt is a time bomb for which there will be no survivors."

Russian Orlan-10 drone shot down.

Operational Command "North": Russian complex "Buk-M2" destroyed in Chernihiv region

Moshchun, Kyiv region. The Russians' daily attempts to build pontoons have failed, and now their equipment (along with some Russian soldiers) is floating in the Irpin River.

Orcs are fleeing the shelling. Mom waves a pen, there and bury.

Operational Command "South" kills enemies.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I thought I read somewhere we were sending Patriot batteries and other SAMs to Poland. Snug them right up on the border, and the PAC-2 Patriots have a 99ish mile range. I'm sure Russia would claim it was an escalation, but they'd have to go sort through a bunch of wreckage to prove it, and good luck with that. 

The Patriots are at the Rzeszow airport. 

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I think of the modern Swiss less as neutrals, and more as cowardly Germans.

(Yes, I am aware that many speak French, Italian, or Romansch. I'm working here. I don't come down to where you work and nitpick how you cook fish in the microwave.)

"But ve are a schmall helpless country mit overvhelming greed!"

Go tell it to Belgium. They took time off from raping the Congo to shoot back. 

To be fair to the Swiss, they basically live in heaven. If I was there I sure as shit wouldn't want to leave to go get shot at by nazis. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suspect all chocolate companies, including good ol' Hershey, were guilty of use of child and slave or near-slave labor in the production of cacao.

And they did supply chocolate to the Nazis.

Nazi... slave labor... I'm thinking cacao production isn't the phase or demographic of labor they used for German production. 

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

TLDR: Most were public sector employees who were forced to be there, and students were given a free day off to attend or sit through normal class lectures, so of course they showed up.

If you are having to hold fake rallies to sell your three-day war that’s on its third week, it’s generally not a good look. 

35 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can you people appreciate what it’s like for me to work with Brisket? I mean, it’s just like this day in and day out.

God, it makes me pine for the days of working with @DDD Dad, and that was no picnic—believe me.

Makes me think I need @Shady Ray up for a job—at least he’ll take half of September off to drink bier.

You actually associate with Internet people in real life? Gross.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Do you think we will use Patriots in Poland to take out missiles fired towards western Ukraine?

No, they’re there to reassure the Poles and NATO.  You’d have to get them super snug against the border and even then there’d be a lot of ground they couldn’t cover. 

If interested, NATO has a good infographic on current enhanced forward presence.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2789ceb3ecfcf78030e7e40e1ea8bd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

No, they’re there to reassure the Poles and NATO.  You’d have to get them super snug against the border and even then there’d be a lot of ground they couldn’t cover. 

If interested, NATO has a good infographic on current enhanced forward presence.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2789ceb3ecfcf78030e7e40e1ea8bd.jpeg

If there seems one constant (that you might be able to validate) it's that all these neighboring states that were once a part of the USSR.....they seem to HATE them some Russians.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you are having to hold fake rallies to sell your three-day war that’s on its third week, it’s generally not a good look. 

This is equally likely to be some Kremlin flunky’s best idea on how to cheer up the boss as it is a genuine effort to sell this thing to anyone. 

7 hours ago, immamac said:

It's really not dude, the leaders who have come into power just have different ideals ideologically and we align with the "good guys" more than not. The winners also get to write/dictate history. It feels good to be the good guy. 

If we pulled a Russia in Iraq how are we any different? We massively succeeded followed by a really stupid and extended insurgency - we staged a false flag, spied on them did everything wrong there and somehow we are just gonna pretend that we are somehow "different" than Russia? The entire global community condemned us for it and we did it anyway (with a few allies). The only difference is the results. Russia lost (there is no winning from where they are) and history will not be kind to them. We won and history is neutral at best to us. 

I'm not defending Saddam and his shit ass regime who was committing all kinds of atrocities and destabilizing the region, but the parallels are there. We of course did far less intentional killing of civilians and their infra, but it sure as fuck happened.

Stop glorifying this shit or putting it on some weird fascination with national identity. We are all humans and the animalistic side of humans crave war, its up to the cognitive humans to prevent it. 

I think this is mostly wrong. There are key differences between US/Iraq and Russia/Ukraine 

The first is that Bush very likely believed in the weapons of mass destruction. The assessment was based on intelligence reports that had been condensed to the point that none of the original information was available to Bush; he simply had to trust the judgement of his intelligence gatherers and analysts.

There’s no way Putin is so deranged as to believe the fairy tales about genocides, biological labs, Nazis, NATO trained birds or whatever.

The second is that if there had been weapons of mass destructions in Iraq, invading Iraq, removing the dictator, demolishing the actual weapons and manufacturing facilities, and whisking away a few key scientists would actually have done the job.

Stopping a genocide by bombing civilians indiscriminately is not stopping a genocide. Arguably, it is committing genocide.

Third. When Bush invaded Iraq, there was no shortage of Americans, and others, telling him it was a dumb idea that could only end up in a clusterfuck. People arranged marches and stuff to protest. None of them were thrown in prison.

and forth, the US was not going it alone in Iraq. While the US was the largest, most active, and the leader, there were 48 other nations that joined in (including Ukraine) and this was before the fact.  Russia went alone, and is struggling to get even its vasal states to join in, with only Syrian mercenaries seeming to help as a quid pro quo for the defense of the Syrian govt in their civil war.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1