Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Russia went alone, and is struggling to get even its vasal states to join in, with only Syrian mercenaries seeming to help as a quid pro quo for the defense of the Syrian govt in their civil war.

There’s talk that a lot of Syrians were joining up with the off chance they could slip into Europe via Ukraine and then try and stay there illegally, or however it works.  The fact that Russia is barely moving any of them to Ukraine makes me wonder if they are being carefully vetted.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

There’s talk that a lot of Syrians were joining up with the off chance they could slip into Europe via Ukraine and then try and stay there illegally, or however it works.  The fact that Russia is barely moving any of them to Ukraine makes me wonder if they are being carefully vetted.  

Honestly, having them do that would probably do more damage than putting them on the battlefield. There is already a narrative out there from Kremlin-y media that many of the Ukrainian refugees are really middle eastern men.  It is a way to turn people off of support for Ukrainians, since they aren’t really fleeing, they welcome Russia. And it’s a way to get Europe focused on Muslim migrants and fighting with each other.

And as with all narratives, there’s a kernel of truth.  Belarus and Russia had been chartering flights from Iraq and Syria and putting mostly working aged men in the Belarusian forests as a hybrid tactic against Europe. The Poles and Balts cracked down and refused them entry (with some justice, these were not real refugees and they had arrived in a safe country even if they were). Before I had COVID and was still at the border, to a person the volunteers told me that the first wave of refugees who arrived were indeed Middle Eastern men who were quickly shoved across the Belarus-Ukraine border right before or right after hostilities broke out and told to try their luck from Ukraine. They disappeared quickly into Europe. It makes sense, they were already migrants and were far quicker to the border than people running from war at points farther East. 

Thar wave was over quick though and now it’s all women and children and old people. 

33 minutes ago, Parliament said:

THAT'S the Spetsnaz who are such badasses?!  I know they're being used for stuff they aren't directly trained for, but come on.

Spetsnaz means "special forces" in general and is a generic term.  There are a number of units of various capacity that would fall under this designation

• Hook 'Em 1

Just heard Ret. Gen Jack Keane (who is for me the absolute best analyst in the universe on military stuff/this thing) say that he expects a little more Russian success for a few reasons.  All of their offenses have been stopped and Ukraine has done a mutherfuggin' brilliant job of cutting supply lines etc.  But he says that the best-led and equipped Russian troops and hardware are making their way from Moscow (they're so good they defend the city) into Belarus and the border to start ramping up the offensive again, and this time it might be more difficult for Ukraine to stop.  They've also been shelling pretty heavily in the west near Lviv where Ukrainian jet repair/maintenance facilities are - if they can't knock 'em all down they'll try to mess up their ability to regroup.  He expects a pretty savage movement within the next few days.  Plus if Mariupol falls, which is most likely, the land bridge to the Crimea and the naval strength is bridged, essentially giving the eastern sliver of Ukraine to Russia.  One strength Russia does have is that they have a pinpoint view of the entire sky as their sophisticated equipment/tech for their radar/air geo of course is back in Russia.  He expects the fighting to escalate esp. if Ukraine gets resupplied with missles and the like.

Doesn't sound hopeful, but looks like now's the time to go full throat to Moscow if their elite forces have to be peeled off to supplement their septic tank of a military operation so far.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Just heard Ret. Gen Jack Keane (who is for me the absolute best analyst in the universe on military stuff/this thing) say that he expects a little more Russian success for a few reasons.  All of their offenses have been stopped and Ukraine has done a mutherfuggin' brilliant job of cutting supply lines etc.  But he says that the best-led and equipped Russian troops and hardware are making their way from Moscow (they're so good they defend the city) into Belarus and the border to start ramping up the offensive again, and this time it might be more difficult for Ukraine to stop.  They've also been shelling pretty heavily in the west near Lviv where Ukrainian jet repair/maintenance facilities are - if they can't knock 'em all down they'll try to mess up their ability to regroup.  He expects a pretty savage movement within the next few days.  Plus if Mariupol falls, which is most likely, the land bridge to the Crimea and the naval strength is bridged, essentially giving the eastern sliver of Ukraine to Russia.  One strength Russia does have is that they have a pinpoint view of the entire sky as their sophisticated equipment/tech for their radar/air geo of course is back in Russia.  He expects the fighting to escalate esp. if Ukraine gets resupplied with missles and the like.

Doesn't sound hopeful, but looks like now's the time to go full throat to Moscow if their elite forces have to be peeled off to supplement their septic tank of a military operation so far.

There's no call for insulting septic tanks.  But yeah, not great news.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

NCOs are the backbone of our entire military. Specifically, NCOs who know how to get exactly what they need from those below them and above them the vast majority of the time.

Truth.  And I've actually used that as an analogy for young lawyers who show up fresh out of law school (like a fresh Lt. out of West Point).  You may think you know something.  You're bright, and we like your potential.  But if you want to learn, and perform well from the get-go, listen to your sergeants -- legal assistants, veteran secretaries, etc.

So much of good leadership and performance is humility, and trusting people BELOW you on the totem pole.  Russian soldiers in the field don't follow that.  Putin doesn't follow it.  And it shows.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Truth.  And I've actually used that as an analogy for young lawyers who show up fresh out of law school (like a fresh Lt. out of West Point).  You may think you know something.  You're bright, and we like your potential.  But if you want to learn, and perform well from the get-go, listen to your sergeants -- legal assistants, veteran secretaries, etc.

So much of good leadership and performance is humility, and trusting people BELOW you on the totem pole.  Russian soldiers in the field don't follow that.  Putin doesn't follow it.  And it shows.

When I was sixteen I knew everything, apparently I've been getting dumber the more experience I have.  

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Did you just compare our brave servicemembers to lawyers?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Most brilliant person in the world: Brisket, age 15-24 or so.

Dumbest person in the world: Brisket's dad, that exact same time period.

Biggest transformation n human history: Brisket's dad got a shitload smarter around the time Brisket turned 24.  It was the damndest thing.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z5g6lg7cjpytuk6fm8

Edited by choripan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This is still so stunning.  How ill prepared they were.  How bereft of any actual, actionable intel they had.  Bears repeating, but our GW1 forces using tech from that time period would beat the ever living shit out of this modern Russian group.

• Hook 'Em 1