Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I don't know if this was mentioned, but NATO is drawing a line, and I think it's probably a line that China agrees with as well.  If Russia reaches this point, China will probably tell them to throw in the towel, because I'd imagine that sanctions will start going after anybody still trading with Russia.

I don't think we'd respond with WMDs, but I imagine that we'd attack targets inside of Ukraine.

So let's say Ukraine continues to push the Russians back up north, and then redeploys to the south/east and begins putting more forces into the fight against those Russians.  

Some worry that the Russians would just redeploy more forces back up north/Belarus to threaten Kyiv again, but the flip side to that is that the Russians would then be in danger of losing the areas they currently occupy - what if Ukraine began driving them back and/or even threatened Crimea?  Kyiv would not be much of a victory at that point.  And Putin can't goad Belarus into filling in up there, since those soldiers may mutiny, and that would be a true goatfuck for Putin, as he'd have to worry about losing Belarus.

Of course, they can't occupy Kyiv even with every single Russian in uniform they currently have in Ukraine, so it's almost a moot point, but still, it's interesting.

Need a modern RTS to game this out.

This is cold-blooded of me to say, but this is extremely cost-effective in terms of taking on Russia, and we/NATO should act accordingly.

Not cold blooded at all; it just is what it is. Once it became clear the Ukrainians could hold their own, our Brass should be trying to make the most out of the opportunity to gut Putin. At this point I would have made it a personal goal to make sure any wheeled/tracked vehicle that touched Ukrainian soil never makes it back to Russia. I fully expect that ridiculous cunt Lavrov to have the gall to ask Ukraine for all the Russian vehicles back when this is over. “It’s just theft!”
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hell, I could have personally verified that if you asked. 
this here tank:
42646103635_80862a9439_b.jpg
which is an M4 that is on trophy display outside the 25th infrantry division  Museum in Scoffied Barracks Hawaii had its underside hatch open my entire 4 years of being there in 84-88
I cant tell you how many times I snuck under the tank (dont remember the chains being there), slid along the concrete to get inside.  
I sat in that turret and drivers seat and played dead nazis pew pew pew a lot. 
they clearly restored it since the mid 80s because it was OD green and rusty as fuck when I played in it.   And I wasnt the only kid that did that.  I only found out about the secret hatch from another kid at some point. 
That's a legit cool story.

Anything else you can personally verify?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ukraine making wishlists for thousands of pieces of equipment as their president says to not ever say they don’t have an army to nato standards. 

I know he's being patriotic during wartime, but needing nato to feed them all of these weapons is how we know that they are not nato ready.  If this had happened to Poland, what is Ukraine sending to them?

they are waging war with their own blood but others’ pocketbooks. 

First bolded text: ummm, don't look to closely at core NATO member and close US ally Germany.....they aren't much better equipped than Ukraine, maybe even less so.

Second bolded text: yep.  That's the deal.  And speaking on behalf of the "others".....it's a bargain at twice the price.  "Hey Brisket, the west is going to end up in a war with Russia, but all it's going to cost everyone except Ukraine is the cost of a bunch of weapons and absorbing refugees.  In exchange, thousands upon thousands of Ukrainians will die in our stead, and Ukraine will have its country completely wrecked and destroyed, while the US stays nice and safe."  I'd say "where the hell do I sign for that deal?"

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If Poland was taking on Russia completely by itself, I could see it asking for that kind of laundry list of weapons/systems a month into such a war.  Outside of the US and maybe England and France (and those are both doubtful), any of the NATO countries taking on Russia by itself is going to be needing a hefty laundry list of support to keep going.

I think we all expected that we'd be well into an insurgency by now, instead of Ukraine engaging in stand-up/head-to-head matchups and taking ground from the Russians, and we were supplying them that way.

This is cold-blooded of me to say, but this is extremely cost-effective in terms of taking on Russia, and we/NATO should act accordingly.

First bolded text: correct.  That this remains an actual frontal war between two intact militaries, and the defender is actually able to re-take some ground.....holy shit, we did NOT see that coming.

Second bolded text: cold-blooded maybe, but true.  NATO and the US are playing this as well as I could hope so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Hell, I could have personally verified that if you asked. 

this here tank:

42646103635_80862a9439_b.jpg

which is an M4 that is on trophy display outside the 25th infrantry division  Museum in Scoffied Barracks Hawaii had its underside hatch open my entire 4 years of being there in 84-88

I cant tell you how many times I snuck under the tank (dont remember the chains being there), slid along the concrete to get inside.  

I sat in that turret and drivers seat and played dead nazis pew pew pew a lot. 

they clearly restored it since the mid 80s because it was OD green and rusty as fuck when I played in it.   And I wasnt the only kid that did that.  I only found out about the secret hatch from another kid at some point. 

Yea, that’s one of the perks of living on or around bases back then. I played in a German half track in front of my dads garrison in Schweinfurt a bunch as a kid. I also got to go to a night gunnery with M1s. They thought it was real fucking funny to convince a kid to watch the end of the barrel when firing in pitch black night…

• Like 1

Thread on the the 12 National Guard officers refused to go to Ukraine, and how Russian procedures, etc. work.

There's a lot more at the link above.

Interesting thread. I expected it to end with this.

anton-chigurh-rule.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think we all expected that we'd be well into an insurgency by now, instead of Ukraine engaging in stand-up/head-to-head matchups and taking ground from the Russians, and we were supplying them that way.

Just like Rocky IV

image.jpeg.6c88e4f6975545824ec9bc8cc6687371.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm still laughing that Russian social media showed a big-ass ship docked in Ukraine, and so the Ukrainians sunk it.

I mean, I know the Ukrainians probably had eyes on all of the shipping, but that kind of OpSec is so emblematic of the Russian military.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Saw on Reddit that in one town the Russians tried to stage a "humanitarian aid" event, and nobody showed up. So they just dropped the sacks off in the middle of the street and left. As soon as they left, the locals walked up and set fire to it all. 

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Rob Lee has been posting a lot of dead Russians on twitter (well photos of them when they were alive along with the tributes on the Russian social media/government sites) from the OSINT people who have been putting together information on what units are in Ukraine, and it's pretty telling - he'll go through a ton of officers, showing irreplaceable leaders at company and battalion level that are being killed, then he'll throw out some conscripts, then he'll do like today, and post a mix of enlisted (conscripts and contracts) who are in....I hate to use the word "elite", but they are considered elite units by the Russians - various Spetsnaz (which can vary from poorly trained conscripts to battle-hardened long-time veterans), airborne/air assault, etc.

He's also posting a lot of vehicles that we know are assigned to said "elite" units and not used by regular infantry (such as special air mobile vehicles).

All of this is showing that the Russians have been committing their best units to this, and I think that gets lost on some people.  If they start to bring more troops into the mix, it's definitely going to be more conscripts and more reserves, and those definitely won't be worth a shit.  You might as well put a time on them when they cross the border and start a betting pool on when they are going to surrender, drive into an ambush, run away, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The Russians being pushed back from Kyiv is great, but if Putin is going to use a tactical nuke on a city, he would want to pull back some to reduce their exposure, I would think.  I have an uneasy feeling about this.

He doesn’t give a shit about the front line personnel.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^^ That as well

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The Russians being pushed back from Kyiv is great, but if Putin is going to use a tactical nuke on a city, he would want to pull back some to reduce their exposure, I would think.  I have an uneasy feeling about this.

That's a line that China wouldn't support him crossing.  There's still plenty of sanctions/isolation that can be directed at Russia, and it would lead to sanctions against anyone still supporting Russia, including China.

Edited by atomheartbevo

^^^^ That as well
That's a line that China wouldn't support him crossing.  There's still plenty of sanctions/isolation that can be directed at Russia, and it would lead to sanctions against anyone still supporting Russia, including China.

This. If Russia nukes Kyiv, Russia is done as a nation state. Seriously, complete and total pariah status. Blockades, sanctions on everything, etc….and likely NATO conventional retaliation within Ukraine. There wouldn’t be a Russian asset left standing in the country.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

^^^^ That as well

The Chinese won’t support nukes because it makes the US using tactical nukes to defend Taiwan okay. It’s just an extension of the keep it conventional because…Pandora’s box. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 686 said:

Here’s the full video. Worth the watch.

http://

For y'all that know this stuff- do the French and American volunteer soldiers who have been posted recently have modern American/western equipment (like they brought it with them) or does it look more in line with weapons provided by the Ukrainians? I've been curious about this.

Edited by KYHorn

The bodies are piling up and starting to thaw in Ukraine

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/23/europe/ukraine-war-russian-soldiers-deaths-cmd-intl/index.html

US is all about "Leave no man behind" and Russia is all "Leave everyone behind!"

and speaking of bodies....more about Shoigu

Edited by atomheartbevo