Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

For y'all that know this stuff- do the French and American volunteer soldiers who have been posted recently have modern American/western equipment (like they brought it with them) or does it look more in line with weapons provided by the Ukrainians? I've been curious about this.

The official statement from the Ukrainian Gov stated that volunteers were not to bring arms and that arms would be provided. That said, lots of modern ARs in recent pictures. Wali is shooting a Sako TRG 338 Lapua (~$4k Finnish gun topped with a $3k Schmidt and Bender scope; probably not laying around every barracks in Ukraine). The dudes from Georgia (Asia) showed up with a Barrett .50 cal rifle and were cleared at customs. The Americans on video today were sporting AKs (not American rifles). Situation’s fluid.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, 686 said:

The official statement from the Ukrainian Gov stated that volunteers were not to bring arms and that arms would be provided. That said, lots of modern ARs in recent pictures. Wali is shooting a Sako TRG 338 Lapua (~$4k Finnish gun topped with a $3k Schmidt and Bender scope; probably not laying around every barracks in Ukraine). The dudes from Georgia (Asia) showed up with a Barrett .50 cal rifle and were cleared at customs. The Americans on video today were sporting AKs (not American rifles). Situation’s fluid.

It’s really easy for Ukrainians to rustle up 5.45x39 or 7.62 x39 for foreign fighters, less easy to find 5.56x45. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ukraine making wishlists for thousands of pieces of equipment as their president says to not ever say they don’t have an army to nato standards. 

I know he’s being patriotic during wartime, but needing nato to feed them all of these weapons is how we know that they are not nato ready.  If this had happened to Poland, what is Ukraine sending to them?

they are waging war with their own blood but others’ pocketbooks. 

Kind of true for nearly every nation though.  US was supporting its allies in WW1 and WW2 through money and weapons.  

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Same here.  At first thought he was getting in the tank to get out of doing shit. 

I just thought he enjoyed playing pew pew with old tanks. Because I’m 48 and I’ll still blast the shit out of some imaginary bad guys if you let me crawl around in a tank or airplane cabin. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It’s really easy for Ukrainians to rustle up 5.45x39 or 7.62 x39 for foreign fighters, less easy to find 5.56x45. 

Yeah, the ammo compatibility is a factor, but I think he was a little wary of issuing an open invitation for unknown armed men to enter the country. At least if they are unarmed, Ukraine has an opportunity to do a cursory check before handing them a rifle.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 686 said:

Yeah, the ammo compatibility is a factor, but I think he was a little wary of issuing an open invitation for unknown armed men to enter the country. At least if they are unarmed, Ukraine has an opportunity to do a cursory check before handing them a rifle.

Wasn't ammo a part of the aid package from the US?  Never thought about the caliber?  Probably a lot of it was/is for belt-fed weapons, but not all.  

26 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If John Deere doesn't have plans for Ukraine edition tractors they should fire their entire marketing department. 

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Side mount for an M-60 and/or Javelin would be a sweet upgrade.   

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They just need to add a section to the manual: “Towing recommendations for Russian armored vehicles, from BTRs to T-90s.” Recommended gears, connection equipment, etc. Don’t want to burn out your transmission towing a tank in the wrong gear.

Shit, John Deere is the evil empire of agriculture. They'll add a section that says towing military hardware voids the warranty and owners will have to bring their tractors to the dealer to have them "Recertified" at owners expense. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Shit, John Deere is the evil empire of agriculture. They'll add a section that says towing military hardware voids the warranty and owners will have to bring their tractors to the dealer to have them "Recertified" at owners expense. 

I'm pretty sure John Deere would say that any tanks or military equipment towed by John Deere "leased" products are the property of John Deere. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yeah and marketing managers are pussies. The best we'll get is t shirts with a Deere pulling a tank.  Available at your local county fair.

Deere could make their OWN t-shirts depicting this, and give all the proceeds to charity.  They'd print money.  Not gonna happen.  Pussies.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yeah and marketing managers are pussies. The best we'll get is t shirts with a Deere pulling a tank.  Available at your local county fair.

Deere could make their OWN t-shirts depicting this, and give all the proceeds to charity.  They'd print money.  Not gonna happen.  Pussies.

"Russians buy tractors, too"

-Michael Jordan  

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Wasn’t it a New Holland tractor?

5 minutes ago, freyguy said:

So when does Ukraine go on the offensive and push those fuckers out?

the issue for Ukraine right now is almost all the bridges on the east side of the country have been blown to stop the Russian advance.   That works both ways.

liberating Kyiv entirely is helpful for the western half of the country, but the eastern army is their most experienced army group and the linkup at Mariupol badly threatens their ability to defend the east.

Ukraine needs to launch a heavy counter attack towards Mariupol pretty quickly which means they need to get a shitload of heavy vehicles into the East side of Dnipro and Zaporizhzhia in the next week or so.... and then a huge counter attack directly south cutting off the Crimea attack spear of Russia.

thats not gonna be easy.

Unfortunately, I think the net net of the next few months will end up with Russia pretty much controlling everything east of the Dnieper River... again, because all the bridges accross the river are blown and you cant transfer heavy weapons across easily.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1