Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Rural Germany, which is a continuous blanket of small towns and villages every 1-2 miles, burns fuel oil & wood for heat. No natural gas network, no propane, solar occasionally.  I expect imported "wood" from the US is cheaper than the indigineous wood.  Probably just checking whatever box on the form is closest to reality without intent to mislead.

WE have friends who live in one of the small "villages: adjacent to Koblenz.  They now have gas, and have for some time, but they also have a wood stove.  I commented on how nice a wood fire and wood stove was to my peer, and he said yeah, they love it, but by law they have to stop using it in a year or two.

German energy policy and thinking is pulled in multiple different directions, often inconsistently.

There's a bigger picture here in terms of energy policy and energy security that nation states are all going to have to think about a lot harder than they have.  That's a picture where our relative "isolation" on our own continent is in our favor.  We've had to develop our own energy resources as opposed to depend too heavily on imports.  Smaller countries with fewer resources have to think differently, and more strategically.  Germany.....did not.  It got in bed with authoritarian warmongers, and now comes the inevitable shitstorm.

Rashists write the names of their liquidated pilots on rockets, thank you, it is so convenient to understand the name of the pig dog that is shelling Ukrainian cities.

️ Exclusive video, Ukrainian Air Force pilot saves our plane during the shelling of the airport
 Glory to the Heroes of Ukraine!

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I would bet that timeline will be a little quicker given the ramp up and frequency of incoming equipment.   Probably trying to throw the Russians off their game a bit.  The “Baba Yaga Offensive” has been planned and will begin soon.   

19 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I would bet that timeline will be a little quicker given the ramp up and frequency of incoming equipment.   Probably trying to throw the Russians off their game a bit.  The “Baba Yaga Offensive” has been planned and will begin soon.   

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

кричати хаос і пускають псів війни

no idea if google did that well or if it’s more like a beet kreisher translation

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I mean, the US forest harvesting model is one of the best in the world these days.  Them trees will grow back.  

Yep. In the Deep Souf you have regular forests that you can ambush canoeists inside, and you have tree farms that supply everything from pulpwood on up to 2 by 4s. They are literally farms that used to grow other stuff, and will grow something else again if the trees stop being profitable.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Anyone else saying this?

This is how you know that Rand Paul is full of shit (even more so than usual) when he says that supporting Ukraine's Nato aspirations caused the Russian invasion.

If Nato were an aggressive alliance--or if any individual Nato member had aggressive designs--then Russia would have to preserve much of its military capacity in a defensive posture.  But that's not the case.  And so Russia is free to devote almost all of its existing military to the Ukraine aggression.

This isn't just objective proof that Nato is not an aggressive alliance; it's proof that Russia knows that Nato does not intend any aggression against it and that its claims to the contrary are lies.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is how you know that Rand Paul is full of shit (even more so than usual) when he says that supporting Ukraine's Nato aspirations caused the Russian invasion.

If Nato were an aggressive alliance--or if any individual Nato member had aggressive designs--then Russia would have to preserve much of its military capacity in a defensive posture.  But that's not the case.  And so Russia is free to devote almost all of its existing military to the Ukraine aggression.

This isn't just objective proof that Nato is not an aggressive alliance; it's proof that Russia knows that Nato does not intend any aggression against it and that its claims to the contrary are lies.

I think NATO played a role in the aggression, but I also think that oil and control and ego played a role. In retrospect (to date), I also think this war was good for NATO and for the western world.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

With how quick shit is showing up in theatre I think the US announcements are letting EU/Nato countries know to send it now the backfill is coming.

• Like 1

Not sure I buy this.  Well could be Russian propaganda they can deny.  Shitty though the Russian orthodox church has been, this seems a pander too far. 
If true, I’m happy to add to the list of Russian religious martyrs. 

It ain’t that much different here chief… only thing holding it back from being this egregious is the chance of losing your tax exempt status.

no cr, just want to point out that it’s pretty damn believable from where I’m sittin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Not sure I buy this.  Well could be Russian propaganda they can deny.  Shitty though the Russian orthodox church has been, this seems a pander too far. 

If true, I’m happy to add to the list of Russian religious martyrs. 

Go back and look at how the Serb Orthodox Church acted during the war in Bosnia. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BLKNSTY said:

It ain’t that much different here chief… only thing holding it back from being this egregious is the chance of losing your tax exempt status.

no cr, just want to point out that it’s pretty damn believable from where I’m sittin’

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Go back and look at how the Serb Orthodox Church acted during the war in Bosnia. 

Never said impossible gentlemen.  I still think the support might be worded differently if it came from an on-high source.  Granted, the lower you go down the chain there are more chucklehead priests with no PR skills. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Anyone else saying this?

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's when shit gets dangerous in terms of nuke threat. 

Mark Hertling I think is the one who said this was their last gasp, but the OSINT people tracking weapons, Julia Ioffe, Zeihan, and a bunch of others have been circling around this, talking about how they've used up a massive amount of precision-guided munitions, as well as their cruise missiles, and they were already in a cycle of trying to replace what had been used in Syria, and basically they are way behind the curve and in a vulnerable position if Belarus rose up, or the forces in Georgia or Moldova were attacked.  I think Rob Lee had also tracked a bunch of old stuff that was brought into the fray from outlying regions/Siberia/etc.

And I and others have fixated on the fact that Russia is not on a wartime footing, and it went to war with a peacetime army.  The night-and-day contrast with Desert Storm is stunning, and Putin still won't take Russia into a wartime footing, and is fucking begging former military vets to come back, as well as getting fucking Libyans to fight for Russia (still no sign of Syrians).

I can't recall who it was, but one of the analysts that tracks Russian military hardware production and exports said the Ukrainians have wiped out over two years' worth of tanks, and I think several years worth of other armored vehicles, and with all of the sanctions/export bans on hardware/raw materials, Russia would struggle just trying to replace those tanks and other armored vehicles within 4 years.

Early on, when the tractor brigade was doing its thing, I looked up a bunch of the speciality equipment vehicles (command and control, fire control, radar, communications, missile vehicles, etc.) and some of that stuff had not been produced in a decade or more - some of the actual vehicle chassis systems had not been produced since the 80s or 90s, and had just been upgraded internally (puling out the old electronics and replacing them, etc.).

For those older systems - how they hell do they restart production on a vehicle that hasn't rolled off an assembly line in 10, 20, 30 years?  How do they replace the electronic components that made that vehicle what it was, when they have problems manufacturing simple cars or trucks?

Anyways, here's more of Putin's desperation - this is probably some kind of self-awareness of how fast Russian troops would go down if another country came into the theater.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

And here's some more fear/desperation on Putin's part (probably scared that Japan will act on the islands the Soviets took).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220427_10/

A senior Russian official has said that an exercise between Japan Self-Defense Forces and the US military near the Russian border is a threat to Russian security.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Igor Morgulov spoke in an interview with Russia's state-run RIA news agency on Tuesday.

The remark appears to refer to the joint drill held by Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force and the US Navy in the Sea of Japan earlier this month. A US strike group led by the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln took part in the exercise.

Morgulov reportedly said Russia is warning via diplomatic channels that Japan will have to brace for Russian countermeasures should it conduct such drills more frequently.

Russia has designated Japan as an "unfriendly" state since it joined other Western countries in imposing sanctions on Russia for its invasion of Ukraine. Russia has also unilaterally declared that it is suspending bilateral peace treaty talks with Japan.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

1234.  The Russians would have to have an extremely large number of forces committed to the borders of Estonia and Latvia, they'd have to have Belarus forces forward deployed to their western border, and they would be in the process of moving a large number of forces towards Finland.

They'd also be trying to get their Mediterranean ships into the Black Sea.

Russia’s annual defense budget is around $62 billion—less than one-tenth what the United States spends. In a couple of rare admissions, Russian military leaders have estimated that 20% to 40% of Russia’s military budget is stolen. 

Some analysts have been aware of the holes in Russia’s military… In a 2020 analysis for the University of Oxford, Zysk identified a slew of Russian military vulnerabilities

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1