Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Maybe there's no way LNG helps the current situation, but I see it as a long-term thing. "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is today." European leaders would have to be fucking braindead beyond belief (a distinct possibility, I'll admit) to ever return to the Russian teat after this. I mean Fucking. Braindead.

I mean we are talking about people (germans) that took three nuke generators off line last year and STILL plan on taking their other 3 offline so they can go green. All while deepthroating the pipelines full of gas and oil from Russia because hey...we are green!  See!  We don't have nuke energy we don't drill for oil or gas!  We green!  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, pops said:

I mean we are talking about people (germans) that took three nuke generators off line last year and STILL plan on taking their other 3 offline so they can go green. All while deepthroating the pipelines full of gas and oil from Russia because hey...we are green!  See!  We don't have nuke energy we don't drill for oil or gas!  We green!  

Hindsight 20/20

3 minutes ago, pops said:

There are many German ways of thinking that I don't get.

Their strident "We're gonna go green! But we're also gonna ditch all our nuclear power with no real replacement!  Wait, we'll replace it with Russian gas and oil, which is totally green because, umm, it's Russian or something!" is perhaps the German way of thinking that I understand the least.

14757682.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Their strident "We're gonna go green! But we're also gonna ditch all our nuclear power with no real replacement!  Wait, we'll replace it with Russian gas and oil, which is totally green because, umm, it's Russian or something!" is perhaps the German way of thinking that I understand the least.

14757682.jpg

Well, the mental gymnastics Europeans in general go through to justify “green” is absurd.  They are buying wood pellets from SE US forest cuttings to burn as biomass and labeling it renewable and sometimes counting it as a carbon credit. 

Putting aside the sustainability of the entire operation, the basic physics of its renewablility slams face first into the Law of Conservation of Energy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

European leaders would have to be fucking braindead beyond belief (a distinct possibility, I'll admit) to ever return to the Russian teat after this. I mean Fucking. Braindead.

Will Americans accept a +/- 25% increase in natural gas costs/electricty to keep Europe from depending on Russia? If not, EU's next choice is Qatar.  They turned to Russia because the US did not present a viable option and the Middle East was a shit storm. 

In addition to the 25% gas price increase, will Americans accept the increased oil & gas development, pipelines & LNG facilitities? LNG can always expand in Texas & Louisiana, but it makes more sense for Appalachia gas to flow to East Coast LNG facilities.

Russia's gas production capacity is a sunk cost with deliverability capabilities to Europe already in place. Post Putin, Russia gas will flow to Europe as a secondary supply source because the delivered cost is so much cheaper than LNG. 

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

14757682.jpg

Well, Germany's freakout over nuclear (hi Fukushima) is a bit separate from its desire to go green. And really, nuclear is somewhat irrelevant to Germany's usage of natural gas. Like 75% of what it imports goes directly to heating rather than electricity generation. Reducing its reliance on natural gas would require replacing a lot of furnaces in a lot of buildings. 

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

14757682.jpg

Go under the car of a German car and you will be bewildered by the idiocy at play there too.  Hey let's have a panel you need to remove 30 screws to take down with different sizes just so you can change the oil.  oh but well that is too easy, lets make it so you push this pin out that falls into the crossmember and now you need an air compressor to recover!  Wait people were doing this with access panels decades ago?  Did they fly in on spaceships? /German Engineering

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

29 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, Germany's freakout over nuclear (hi Fukushima) is a bit separate from its desire to go green. And really, nuclear is somewhat irrelevant to Germany's usage of natural gas. Like 75% of what it imports goes directly to heating rather than electricity generation. Reducing its reliance on natural gas would require replacing a lot of furnaces in a lot of buildings. 

If only there were some way to convert electricity into heat.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Go under the car of a German car and you will be bewildered by the idiocy at play there too.  Hey let's have a panel you need to remove 30 screws to take down with different sizes just so you can change the oil.  oh but well that is too easy, lets make it so you push this pin out that falls into the crossmember and now you need an air compressor to recover!  Wait people were doing this with access panels decades ago?  Did they fly in on spaceships? /German Engineering

On my 944S, you needed a lift to drop the wheels so you could change the oil filter. To change the lower radiator hose, you needed a special 30" long screw driver, or a triple jointed wrist.

Marvel of engineering what they got out of a 4 cyl engine, but totally impractical to maintain.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If only there were some way to convert electricity into heat.

Thus my point on replacing the existing furnaces. Totally doable, but also expensive when basically every home relies on gas right now.  Shutting down the nukes has extended Germany's reliance on coal. Keeping them running wouldn't, absent other changes, materially reduce its reliance on natural gas. 

Edited by Dahobbs

49 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I'm no ballistics expert, but those appeared to be explosions from the inside of the building and blowing the building outward, not from an artillery round landing.  Even at the end there is no apparent exterior round entry or explosion area that seems like it was something coming from the outside and impacting the building. 

Edited by ABSR

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, the mental gymnastics Europeans in general go through to justify “green” is absurd.  They are buying wood pellets from SE US forest cuttings to burn as biomass and labeling it renewable and sometimes counting it as a carbon credit. 

Putting aside the sustainability of the entire operation, the basic physics of its renewablility slams face first into the Law of Conservation of Energy. 

I mean, the US forest harvesting model is one of the best in the world these days.  Them trees will grow back.  

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, ABSR said:

I'm no ballistics expert, but those appeared to be explosions from the inside of the building and blowing the building outward, not from an artillery round landing.  Even at the end there is no apparent exterior round entry or explosion area that seems like it was something coming from the outside and impacting the building. 

First and second rpg into the building facade with little damage,  the third rpg looks like if went through the right window and exploded inside focusing the blast back out the window.

39 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I mean, the US forest harvesting model is one of the best in the world these days.  Them trees will grow back.  

It’s more the energy for cutting, transport, processing, shipping.  That’s not “renewable” in any real sense other than the trees growing back.  And definitely not green. It’s basically just pre lignite coal, for all intents and purposes. 

I don’t begrudge southern land owners getting $$$$ for their forest, but the European mental gymnastics to call that “green” are right up their with timing chain cover on my GTI that you have to destroy to remove.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Bateshorn said:

It’s more the energy for cutting, transport, processing, shipping.  That’s not “renewable” in any real sense other than the trees growing back.  And definitely not green. It’s basically just pre lignite coal, for all intents and purposes. 

I was being sarcastically obtuse.   

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, you have to separate good policy from rational democratic policy making. We instinctively get this at home, but we get frustrated when overseas partners aren’t making good choices— even when rational.  Germany is a big democratic nation with overlapping legitimate and caustic interests just like us.  

You have a solid, essentially burgher class that just wants a humming export economy and affordable energy. You have a smaller, but savvy and vocal green movement that enjoys broad support from the burghers so long as the economy keeps going. You have a much smaller but proportionally extremely powerful group who— openly or not— stand to get fantastically rich from partnering with Russia, much more so than they do in maintaining nuclear energy. You have basically no constituency that cares strongly about nuclear.  And you have a bombshell event— Fukushima.

This is a golden opportunity for Merkel. She wins points with greens (I am on purpose not using capital letters) by shuttering nuclear, long a demand. She wins points with burghers— cheap gas and export factories! She satisfies the vast network of Ost-oriented businessmen and politicians. The cost is reliance on Russia, and it’s worth noting that she isn’t paying the piper on that. Her successor is. 

You can easily see an American leader making a similar short sighted bargain and in fact we have and continue to act this way.  Doing it with China is long term most damaging, but thus far every politician since Nixon has kicked that can down the road to the next person up.

This isn’t an excuse, and in particular neither we or the Germans are honest about the outsize role authoritarian money plays in this process.

This is approaching CR territory.  Just saying.  Can we keep US foreign policy and political strategy talk out of this thread?

Edited by DDD Dad

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

"You can easily see an American leader making a similar short sighted bargain and in fact we have and continue to act this way.  Doing it with China is long term most damaging, but thus far every politician since Nixon has kicked that can down the road to the next person up."

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

I don't think talk of foreign politics is CR territory.  CR is really limited to talk of domestic politics, inasmuch as that is what inflames the passions of the posters on this board.

Germany and/or Europe have essentially funded the invasion of Ukraine since it started. Not on purpose, I get that. 

I don't see how an explanation from one of the resident experts on this board discussing how Germany got there is even remotely CR and I appreciate the response. It gives context. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, I just found it informative.  

I found it informative as well, but when US foreign policy starts getting discussed it tends to beg further discussion of the relative merits of that policy (which falls squarely in the CR arena).

Just now, pops said:

Germany and/or Europe have essentially funded the invasion of Ukraine since it started. Not on purpose, I get that. 

I don't see how an explanation from one of the resident experts on this board discussing how Germany got there is even remotely CR and I appreciate the response. It gives context. 

Note the bolded portion of my reply to GOLL.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

They are buying wood pellets from SE US forest cuttings to burn as biomass and labeling it renewable and sometimes counting it as a carbon credit.  

Rural Germany, which is a continuous blanket of small towns and villages every 1-2 miles, burns fuel oil & wood for heat. No natural gas network, no propane, solar occasionally.  I expect imported "wood" from the US is cheaper than the indigineous wood.  Probably just checking whatever box on the form is closest to reality without intent to mislead.

19 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Rural Germany, which is a continuous blanket of small towns and villages every 1-2 miles, burns fuel oil & wood for heat. No natural gas network, no propane, solar occasionally.  I expect imported "wood" from the US is cheaper than the indigineous wood.  Probably just checking whatever box on the form is closest to reality without intent to mislead.

Oh, it’s a thing. I’m sure you are correct, but their government’s check some green political boxes as well.

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

Anyone else saying this?

I saw a thread where one of those retired generals was basically saying it.  Think AHB posted it fairly recently.  It didn't get into the direct Putin allegation, but certainly said that Russia had shot its' wad already.  Looking forward to seeing Russia get its shit pushed in village by village as they march back to the sea.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I saw a thread where one of those retired generals was basically saying it.  Think AHB posted it fairly recently.  It didn't get into the direct Putin allegation, but certainly said that Russia had shot its' wad already.  Looking forward to seeing Russia get its shit pushed in village by village as they march back to the sea.  

That's when shit gets dangerous in terms of nuke threat. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm less and less convinced of that as days go by.  Call me an optimist.  

Agree. Puttin has basically had his shit pushed in since day 1 given the expectations from pretty much everyone. Lobbing a nuke in on your way out the door doesn't do anything other than putting up an economically impenetrable wall around your country for the next 50 years at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1