Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My wife and I were discussing Operation Market-Garden in WW II last night, and it reminded me that the German Army in France collapsed rapidly, just like the Russian Army has in the Kharkiv region.  Many thought that the rout would go all the way to Berlin in short order, but the Germans had other ideas and turned and stiffened at the Rhine. 

you are mixing up 2 different battles. 

The German army getting routed in France was the end of the Battle of Normandy.  Ending in the closing of the Falaise gap. -although  Monty couldnt close the final road gap for 2 days resulting in a shitload of Germans (without heavy equipment) getting away.  it was still a huge victory, I think something like 60k germans were captured along with most of their heavy weapons. 

Market-Garden wasnt in France. it was Holland. we had recaptured almost all of France by the start of M-G. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

you are mixing up 2 different battles. 

The German army getting routed in France was the end of the Battle of Normandy.  Ending in the closing of the Falaise gap. -although  Monty couldnt close the final road gap for 2 days resulting in a shitload of Germans (without heavy equipment) getting away.  it was still a huge victory, I think something like 60k germans were captured along with most of their heavy weapons. 

Market-Garden wasnt in France. it was Holland. we had recaptured almost all of France by the start of M-G. 

No, I have them right.  Part of the reason that Market-Garden failed is that the planning for it assumed that the German Army was collapsing and would not be able to defend the Son-Grave-Nijmegan-Arnhem corridor effectively.  This assumption was based on the collapse in France continuing into Holland.  It did not, and Germany was reinforcing their forces in Holland.  British planners refused to believe that reinforcement was happening, again based on the collapse in France.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

not sure how reliable the news source but would be good news 

that’s lovely, but if we can keep giving them missile defense assets sufficient to eventually give Ukraine clear air superiority over all of their country, the fleet of newly acquired Russian tanks should be enough.

And some Warthogs for when that event finally occurs. Looks like they are getting closer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

that’s lovely, but if we can keep giving them missile defense assets sufficient to eventually give Ukraine clear air superiority over all of their country, the fleet of newly acquired Russian tanks should be enough.

And some Warthogs for when that event finally occurs. Looks like they are getting closer. 

Sounds to me like General Dynamics Land Systems wants in on the action. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We have a new leader in the clubhouse for weirdest Surly spouse humble brag ever.

We've both read A Bridge Too Far, and had just watched a YouTube video about the failure of Market-Garden.  It covered the tactical, logistical, and strategic failures well, but we discussed the strategic failures in a little more detail, as she didn't understand the reason that a usually very cautious Montgomery would propose such a risky operation.  I am a lucky, lucky man.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

We've both read A Bridge Too Far, and had just watched a YouTube video about the failure of Market-Garden.  It covered the tactical, logistical, and strategic failures well, but we discussed the strategic failures in a little more detail, as she didn't understand the reason that a usually very cautious Montgomery would propose such a risky operation.  I am a lucky, lucky man.

So is your husband. 

• Haha 2