Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

30 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

If those reports arr true of Duma members calling for Putin to be tried for treason because their losing and not because he started it in the first place, that's disconcerting.   

Could Putin actually get overthrown and an even worse person get put in charge?

I think the oligarchs will see that this is put to an end when Putin is gone- not out of wisdom, or grace, but out if a desire to preserve their fortunes. 

• Like 1

If those reports arr true of Duma members calling for Putin to be tried for treason because their losing and not because he started it in the first place, that's disconcerting.   
Could Putin actually get overthrown and an even worse person get put in charge?

The St. Pete duma members were against the war from the beginning, so they haven’t changed their stance. I don’t know about the Moscow members that issued this second motion. My read wasn’t that they wanted to replace him with someone who would “win”, more that they probably know they aren’t going to win and want to stop the bleeding before the Red Army is completely gutted and the country potentially bankrupted. I’m no expert so I may be over optimistic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 686 said:

The St. Pete duma members were against the war from the beginning, so they haven’t changed their stance. I don’t know about the Moscow members that issued this second motion. My read wasn’t that they wanted to replace him with someone who would “win”, more that they probably know they aren’t going to win and want to stop the bleeding before the Red Army is completely gutted and the country potentially bankrupted. I’m no expert so I may be over optimistic.

I think you are reading it correctly. The traditional Russian response to military disaster is to blame the leadership. There clearly is dissent building. It's starting to boil over, in spite of the severe consequences for speaking out.

The two unknowns:  How much of the population feels this way? How much more embarrassing does it have to get for the rest of them to change their minds? 

It could still take some time, but I think this is the beginning of the end for Vlad. A strongman only stays on top as long as he projects the image of a strongman and Ukraine has publicly castrated Vlad's image. 

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

What I love about these NATO presidential visits is you know they are arriving with arms and supplies.  It’s a very easy way for us to drop stuff off while telling the Russians: “don’t fire on Kyiv, wouldn’t want to kill a senior NATO official and invoke Article 5”

They can’t precisely hit kyiv if they wanted to, their rockets would probably hit a barn somewhere and claim it was a military base 

The amount of time they mention not to panic is a sign that they are in panic attack mode, they don’t know what to do at this time 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I mean, I'm actually kinda impressed. At first, I was like, go ahead an gun it and sink. But then it worked. For an impressively long while. I think I'd take my chances riding on the deck of one of those over a Russian pontoon bridge.

Anything that’s made to do this, but also that, usually sucks at both.

An AFV that’s also a boat? We should’ve given up on that after DD Sherman fiasco at Normandy. But we didn’t.

My understanding is that there were several Bradleys deposited in the ponds of lakes of Fort Benning before Big Army finally admitted it was a bad idea, cut the swim barriers off them, and just forgot about the whole cockamamie idea.

But I’m sure some wiseacre right this second is designing a 30 ton armored vehicle that he swears will swim like a fish while pealing potatoes and slaying your foes. All he needs is a black line on the Pentagon budget and an unlimited amount of R&D funds.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

But I’m sure some wiseacre right this second is designing a 30 ton armored vehicle that he swears will swim like a fish while pealing potatoes and slaying your foes. All he needs is a black line on the Pentagon budget and an unlimited amount of R&D funds.

Is this a problem? Asking for a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I've said it in this thread before but I still think Putin tries to launch a nuke at Kyiv or somewhere in Europe as a last fuck you before he goes out. The question is do the people who pull the final trigger actually do it. 

The talking heads on Russian state TV reflect his attitude.  If he was going to nuke, they’d be pushing harder to do nukes and justifying it.

I feel like he really wants to declare war and mass mobilize and get conscripts full into Ukraine (we know many are, but he wants it formally and openly). One of the talking heads she highlighted today was kind of complaining that it being a special military operation tied their hands.

Problem for him is that it would do no good at this point.  Russian logistics are in a shamble, as is their last-mile transportation (trucks, APCs, etc.), and bringing in 25,000 new conscripts wouldn’t do much if Ukraine was rolling them up everywhere.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If they launch a nuke, there is a good chance it will get intercepted or someone will warn the west that it’s coming. they know, there is no turning back once it gets launched or detonated.

Don’t we have a dedicated line to Russia to talk about if a Nuke gets launched by accident?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pods said:

Ukraine is closing the Izyum pocket. Since this info is usually at least 12 hours old, they probably already have.

Last figures I saw were ~10K troops and all their equipment still in Izyum. Most of the leadership has withdrawn. 

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Oskil the town is the real lynchpin here (or technically the bridge in Oskil and the one about 2 km south of town) that if they are in UKA hands, then we are going to see either a siege or just mass surrender.

There is no easy way to come to their rescue because of how the terrain lays out. either a relief force has to do a full run around Kapsuyk and then fight back south or break through a bridgehead that the UKA would hold. Neither of those options are feasible now, and the longer it takes to send relief, the more it plays into the UKA hands. There are literally 5 bridges up and down the front from Oskil to Kupsuyk, and the RU does not hold both sides of any of them, and in fact, the UKA may hold both sides of the bridgehead of 3 or 4 over a 70km stretch. And by the way, now all of them are under UKA HIMARS and Artilelry coverage...

Izyum is toast and the only thing left is whether this is a mass surrender or a siege that gets just pounded with encircled artillery.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

So, about the distance to Amarillo from Austin. A little closer, actually.
There should be a really good joke here at the expense of Amarillo but I can't quite figure it out.

Joke goes the other way. Why doesn’t Ukraine sink into the Black Sea? Because Russia Sucks.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The talking heads on Russian state TV reflect his attitude.  If he was going to nuke, they’d be pushing harder to do nukes and justifying it.

I feel like he really wants to declare war and mass mobilize and get conscripts full into Ukraine (we know many are, but he wants it formally and openly). One of the talking heads she highlighted today was kind of complaining that it being a special military operation tied their hands.

Problem for him is that it would do no good at this point.  Russian logistics are in a shamble, as is their last-mile transportation (trucks, APCs, etc.), and bringing in 25,000 new conscripts wouldn’t do much if Ukraine was rolling them up everywhere.  

Yeah but this is my point. He knows he's losing. He knows it's going bad for Russia, and mostly, for him. What keeps him from launching a nuke when this is clearly over for Russia and he's in danger of getting deposed. 

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Joke goes the other way. Why doesn’t Ukraine sink into the Black Sea? Because Russia Sucks.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
2 hours ago, Rimbo said:
There should be a really good joke here at the expense of Amarillo but I can't quite figure it out.

Ain't got no blood in my veins, I just got them four lanes of hard Amarillo Highway.

...naw, those aren't it.

Was thinking along the lines of "you can drive north for 460 miles and end up in a shithole in Texas, too."

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah but this is my point. He knows he's losing. He knows it's going bad for Russia, and mostly, for him. What keeps him from launching a nuke when this is clearly over for Russia and he's in danger of getting deposed. 

While he’s been making some really stupid decisions militarily, this is a guy who sits at the end of 15-20 foot-long tables and makes his visitors sit at the other end, because he’s paranoid about COVID or assassination attempts or whatever.   He doesn’t want to die.

And I’m sure he’s aware that China, India, etc. will bail on him.

So I went to another message board... one I used to frequent, back in my lesser days... and stumbled across their thread on this.

Those idiots are legitimately arguing over whether or not Crimea should be part of Ukraine or not.

I mean, the talking points opposed to this are straight out of the GRU playbook.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

He has access to all we can see. Why wouldn't he? What idiot in his regime would be responsible for censoring his internet feed? 

Does he use the internet?  On the one hand, given what his proxies say on state TV, he has an awareness of what’s happening.

On the other hand, it’s clear that all of the corruption and grift present in Russian society and that has made his buddies wealthy, has also affected the Russian military (and made the oligarchs wealthy), and yet Putin doesn’t seem to have done much to correct it over the last 6 months or so.

Why isn’t he course-correcting? Yes, he doesn’t have a military background, and yes those around him like Shoigu mostly don’t either, but we are 6 months in, and the internet and Western television are full of people pointing out all of the mistakes Russia is making.  It’s easy to say that he figured out something that worked in Chechnya with brutal attacks against civilians and manipulating the Russian public with false flags, etc., but that was 20 years ago.  We can fast-forward to 2008 or 2014 or later to Syria. and talk about his moves against Georgia and Ukraine and the actions in Syria, and say that he applied those lessons to Ukraine 2022 because he was arrogant or whatever, but something is just incredibly off.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

So I went to another message board... one I used to frequent, back in my lesser days... and stumbled across their thread on this.

Those idiots are legitimately arguing over whether or not Crimea should be part of Ukraine or not.

I mean, the talking points opposed to this are straight out of the GRU playbook.

Texags?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

While he’s been making some really stupid decisions militarily, this is a guy who sits at the end of 15-20 foot-long tables and makes his visitors sit at the other end, because he’s paranoid about COVID or assassination attempts or whatever.   He doesn’t want to die.

And I’m sure he’s aware that China, India, etc. will bail on him.

He’s not going to use a nuke because this is a war of choice and not a vital, existential security struggle for Russia. He could pull back to the pre-February LOC tomorrow and announce that he trusts Ukraine learned it’s lesson. He’d be fine. Using a nuke would bring opprobrium from even the bad actors that are still making deals with him. 

Russia hasn’t even fully conventionally mobilized for this fight after five months of more or less sitting with their thumbs up their asses, pinned down by AFU artillery.  Putin badly wanted Kyiv to fall and it didn’t, his lunatic plan to decapitate leadership didn’t work, and there never was a plan B. They still haven’t thought of one, it’s notable that you never hear any noise about concrete steps that Russia would accept to end the war. They fucked this up and don’t know what is realistic now. 

But nukes are for desperate self-preservation or retaliation. And this fight isn’t that and there’s no reason to think Vladimir Putin believes it is. If we were seeing full scale mobilization instead of professional units farting around at Vostok 2022, that would be an indication of desperation and a worry that he sees this as existential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sooooooo.... They're abandoning Izyum.

Which makes complete sense. The troops would have been encircled shortly with no resupplies. Capturing Kupyansk - which is still stunning to me: 1) that it's happened at all 2) that it happened so fast - made it inevitable.

The Russians biggest depot for resupplying in the occupied territories, and they've just abandoned it. I know we all realize it's a full scale collapse going on of Russia's position in the Kharkiv Oblast and by extension any of the recent gains they've made in the Donbas, but I have to pinch myself. This is beyond my wildest expectations.

From Girkin, as translated by Dmitri/WarTranslated:

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Aren't you and Nicole from Amarillo/Lubbock/Agricultural Moscow?

• Hook 'Em 1

Reports that Izyum is liberated. No words for this other than complete Russian collapse.

So the Russians are apparently in full collapse/rout in the Northeast.

How long can the Ukes push on the Russians on the Kharkiv front until they no longer have enough troops to hold their gains and/or their supply lines are vulnerable?

Also news from the South has been scant. Seems like there are a lot of Russians sitting and stewing down there with nowhere to run. Gotta suck to be waiting in that Kherson pocket stuck against the river until the Ukes decide to deal with you. They seem pretty fucked.
  • Hook 'Em 1