The Matrix

ztejas

I'm on a binge rn. Ripping blu rays on my 2k monitor and it's delivering.

Per @TreatyOak less threads more hot women so take this

d775ba153d663b4b11e0e9724848ef2b.jpg

That said, thoughts on this one?

I think Keanu as Neo fits the mold for "perfect castings" if only because he's so awkward and such a bad actor that it works.

The '95 - '05 window has some pretty great films.

How old were you when you first saw this one?

Edited by ztejas
Katrina Bowden

12 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

saw it 11 different times in the theater. And was my very first Blu-ray Disc 

Rep for seeing it 11 times.

Currently sipping some Pierre Ferrand Regenade 2 while I watch the subway fight scene.

God damn this movie ages well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great movie. I never saw it in the theater. I bought the DVD without really knowing anything about it other than seeing the previews on tv. I was blown away. The only really dumb part was having Neo die and Trinity's love bringing him back to life. That was over the top cheese. They could've accomplished the same thing with him figuring out that he was The One just short of death 

Worst sequels ever. There's no way the Wachowski brothers/sisters wrote Matrix. Had to be a ghost writer, or a ripoff. The sequels were so bad they couldn't have been written by the same people. 

• Like 1

I was a freshman at OSU and was given tickets for a pre-release viewing at the Union theater...had absolutely no idea what I was getting into outside of a few of the mysterious trailers that were out there.

Absolutely blew my mind, of course, and I pimped the free poster they gave me for years. Nice someone finally got a shitty copy on dvd we’d watch it at least once a week in the dorms common room.

The second two movies were such a letdown.

Great movie. I never saw it in the theater. I bought the DVD without really knowing anything about it other than seeing the previews on tv. I was blown away. The only really dumb part was having Neo die and Trinity's love bringing him back to life. That was over the top cheese. They could've accomplished the same thing with him figuring out that he was The One just short of death 
Worst sequels ever. There's no way the Wachowski brothers/sisters wrote Matrix. Had to be a ghost writer, or a ripoff. The sequels were so bad they couldn't have been written by the same people. 

Lol you and I posted almost the exact thing at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Facemask said:

Watched it when it came out and bought the blu ray around 2008. Recently watched it with my 7 yr old son with the system loud. He freaking loved it! Granted he didn't understand it all, but that'll come on later vuewings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hell I still don't understand it all and I'm a man and have seen it at least a dozen times.

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Eh the first sequel wasn’t bad. The second one was really bad.

Neo is The One. Neo can fly into Smith and destroy him as demonstrated in the first movie. Explain to me the scene where Neo fights 20 Smiths in the sequel. Why? He's The One. He can destroy them all with a thought. Why the fight? And why end it by just flying away? Why not just fly away in the first place?

The sequels were just based on upping the visual stimuli from the first movie with no thought to writing a coherent story. They didn't care that it made no sense. They just figured that the fight with Smith was the peak of the first movie so let's reprise that early in the second movie and really grab the audience's attention. But instead of one Smith, let's make it 20! Never mind that it's a completely idiotic premise because NEO'S THE ONE!! He can squash Smith like a bug. He can do anything he wants inside the matrix. 

So. Fucking. Stupid. 

Don't even get me started on the techno dance rave at Zion. 

Neo is The One. Neo can fly into Smith and destroy him as demonstrated in the first movie. Explain to me the scene where Neo fights 20 Smiths in the sequel. Why? He's The One. He can destroy them all with a thought. Why the fight? And why end it by just flying away? Why not just fly away in the first place?
The sequels were just based on upping the visual stimuli from the first movie with no thought to writing a coherent story. They didn't care that it made no sense. They just figured that the fight with Smith was the peak of the first movie so let's reprise that early in the second movie and really grab the audience's attention. But instead of one Smith, let's make it 20! Never mind that it's a completely idiotic premise because NEO'S THE ONE!! He can squash Smith like a bug. He can do anything he wants inside the matrix. 
So. Fucking. Stupid. 

ImportantGleefulFrogmouth-size_restricted.gif

The first one was perfect. There are almost no plot holes. The sequels never reached that same level but they had their moments. I remember watching the making of the highway scene, pretty cool.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:07 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

The Wachowski brothers/sisters borrowed/stole the premise for the Matrix from a Philip K. Dick's  speech, he gave back in 1977, talking about the significance of deja vu, and how we're living in a computer simulation,   (Video proof in the spoiler)

Spoiler

Got to the 3:40 mark...he explains it exactly as its shown in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDv8fm_R7g&ab_channel=WereWeLiedTo

That said, the Wachowski's did a nice job with how they revealed the premise.  And they did create an awesome cyber-punk aesthetic and some of the coolest special effects in the history of science fiction---rivaling Star Wars 

But agree with everyone else.  After the big reveal of the mind-blowing premise (which they stole), it turned into flying superheros and slow motion music video compilations.   

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monster said:

The Wachowski brothers/sisters borrowed/stole the premise for the Matrix from a Philip K. Dick's  speech, he gave back in 1977, talking about the significance of deja vu, and how we're living in a computer simulation,   (Video proof in the spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

Got to the 3:40 mark...he explains it exactly as its shown in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDv8fm_R7g&ab_channel=WereWeLiedTo

Right on. Thanks for posting that. I knew there was no way they conceived the original story themselves. If they had, the sequels would've been better. 

• Like 1

Such a good movie. First saw it as a junior? Senior? In high school. Had no idea what it was but absolutely loved it. The sequels were let downs, but the overall concept I love. I feel like they had a great idea for the original and didnt really think much ahead of that story so the sequels were just kind of thrown together. 

Still, great movie and I’m pretty sure we’re living in the matrix right now

Matrix: 1965 Lincoln Continental with rear doors that open the other way, because that’s how Morpheus rolled

Sequels: new Cadillac Escalade. WTF

There’s one scene in the sequels that I can bear to rewatch, and that is the fight against the Merovingian’s minions in the room with antique weapons. That’s it.

It took me 6 months after release to finally see it in a theater (dollar movie). The movie came out right after Columbine and there was a lot of talk about sensationalizing violence and scenes in the movie with trenchcoats and killing and such. I just didn't feel like watching it with the school shooting so fresh.

Then I finally watched it and thought it was groundbreaking and amazing and had absolutely zero to do with any of that Columbine crap.

I tried to show it to my son a year or two ago and he got so freaked out by the bug in belly button that he couldn't finish it.

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I oppose any notion that Kenau Reeves is a bad actor. He’s different. He’s subdued. Zen, Not bad

Point Break, Constantine, Devils Advicate, Speed, Dracula, Much Ado About Nothing

All of this.

Tons of actors are great at emoting, not acting.  They don't act like normal fucking people and their performances override the character they're supposed to be portraying.

Keanu doesn't do that shit.  Doesn't mean he's a bad actor.  It means he's humble enough to not make the entire movie about him.  Which makes him relatable. 

He's arguably one of the greatest action movie actors ever.  Putting aside the insane amount of work he puts in to learn martial arts, use weapons, etc., his acting style allows the audience to put themselves in his shoes as the lead.  You make the Matrix with anyone else and it probably fucking sucks (I think Will Smith was in the running at one point and hoo boy that would have been a trainwreck).  Keanu plays stuck, bored, corporate slacker/malcontent to a T and then perfectly encapsulates what all of us would be like if we got sucked out into a dystopia where robots use humans as batteries.

Oh, and unlike all the other kiddie diddling creeps and assholes in Hollywood, he's a good dude.  Gave away a ton of his money to the people that worked on the Matrix, IIRC.  He's like #2 behind Tom Hanks as all-time nice guys in show business. 

• Like 4

Also the thing with Keanu that you don't get with most top actors, except for like Tom Cruise, is his own stunts and stunt fighting.  Keanu actually knows how to fight, and it shows in the Matrix and in particularly John Wick.  Guys that they put in those roles most of the time you can tell they're handicapped by the way a scene is filmed and how much they can actually show/film.

I absolutely love this movie.  It's one of those I have to stop and watch if it is on.  I never bothered seeing the sequels as I felt the story had been told.  I didn't need to know any more about it.  From the comments about the sequels here, it seems I chose wisely.  

Keanu Reeves is not a good actor. Some of y'all are funny.

His performance in A Walk in the Clouds was hilarious, which was a problem.

As to the point of the thread, this film was incredible. It was great on its own and I told my wife as we left the theater that they were going to fuck it up with sequels. That doesn't mean I'm a psychic genius, that was just how obvious it was.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Keanu Reeves is not a good actor. Some of y'all are funny.

His performance in A Walk in the Clouds was hilarious, which was a problem.

As to the point of the thread, this film was incredible. It was great on its own and I told my wife as we left the theater that they were going to fuck it up with sequels. That doesn't mean I'm a psychic genius, that was just how obvious it was.

it's as close to a perfect movie as there is. i went into it knowing nothing about it, which made the experience so mindblowing at the time.

i really think the effects were the reason for the sequels. they wanted to push the envelope on those revolutionary special effects; turn up the volume, if you will. well, that and the money truck they drove to the wachowskis' house.

i still watched the sequels, but they didn't have the effect the first on did. as a matter of fact, i still have my matrix dvd around here somewhere. i never bought the sequels.

it'd be like if nolan did a sequel to inception. you told the story. 

fin.

• Like 1

Also the thing with Keanu that you don't get with most top actors, except for like Tom Cruise, is his own stunts and stunt fighting.  Keanu actually knows how to fight, and it shows in the Matrix and in particularly John Wick.  Guys that they put in those roles most of the time you can tell they're handicapped by the way a scene is filmed and how much they can actually show/film.

I sure hope that’s why the Bourne movies were shaky cam, otherwise one of my very favorite series was jacked up by deciding shaky cam was ‘artistic’. Always hated they hid the best fighting behind that shit.

I’m pretty sure Damon did his stunt fights well, and they just decided shaky cam was ‘cool’.

And on Keanu knowing his way around...

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 12:14 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

So. Fucking. Stupid. 

Yep, and led to the regarded genre sequels of Blade.  The Blade sequels were basically cut/paste of the idiocy of The Matrix sequels: all unwatchable.