2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

My friends and I had the exact story as Ghost of LL and his buddies did. I'm sure every group of guys around 2008 or 2012 had the same though - let's take up curling.

Anyway, I lived in the apartments right across Brodie from that Brodie/William Cannon HEB, and we were all set to dominate that Sunset Valley center. Then it took forever to build and we got tied down and bought houses and forgot about it. Whatevrer happened to that thing, did it never take off?

I was cutting edge. 2002 winter olympics for me was when I got into it.  

Nope.  Died on the vine.  I believe, and I may be wrong here as this was awhile ago (2 firms and many drunken conversations with these guys)...they had hard money down on the lot but that was about it.  I think they lost some serious earnest money but otherwise didn't piss much away.  The ground-up was just too ambitious.  But it had to be, 150 feet long with I think 8 rinks/lanes, whatever the fuck they're called.  Plus a bar, lobby, small lockerroom, etc.  Basically 2/3rds the size of a normal bowling alley...but oh yeah---here's the kicker...a fucking HVAC bill that'll murder you six months outta the year (not straight HVAC mind you, but the chiller system underneath the floor plus ambient temps).  It would have had to have a constant flow of members running through there in 2-hour sessions like Top Golf but charging way, way more than was feasible for most folks who were of the mindset, "Yeah, that'd be fun to try a couple times with work friends or family visiting...but I wouldn't buy a membership."  

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I completely understand the Texas passion and loyalty to their barbecue. And my preference only applies to ribs, not brisket in which I do give Texas the nod. It is quite difficult for one to abandon the foods that remind them of their youth even if others don't share the opinion.  I've never quite understood people that care for circus peanuts, but they're out there, god bless 'em and I leave them alone to enjoy their fascination.

Yep. I ascribe my dislike of Dr. Pepper, grits and barbecue to not getting to Texas while I was young enough.  Meanwhile- I love California Mexican food (love Tex Mex too but it took me a while) maybe even more than anything down here.  Tastes of childhood are hard to get rid of.  

Circus peanuts are awesome.  Not sure what there is to understand.  Sugar.  Texture is fun.  I mean- I'm not ordering that as a desert or anything- or ever buying it myself- but if you had circus peanuts or say- hershey's kisses in a bowl right next to each other I'm hitting up the circus peanuts every time. 

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Nope.  Died on the vine.  I believe, and I may be wrong here as this was awhile ago (2 firms and many drunken conversations with these guys)...they had hard money down on the lot but that was about it.  I think they lost some serious earnest money but otherwise didn't piss much away.  The ground-up was just too ambitious.  But it had to be, 150 feet long with I think 8 rinks/lanes, whatever the fuck they're called.  Plus a bar, lobby, small lockerroom, etc.  Basically 2/3rds the size of a normal bowling alley...but oh yeah---here's the kicker...a fucking HVAC bill that'll murder you six months outta the year (not straight HVAC mind you, but the chiller system underneath the floor plus ambient temps).  It would have had to have a constant flow of members running through there in 2-hour sessions like Top Golf but charging way, way more than was feasible for most folks who were of the mindset, "Yeah, that'd be fun to try a couple times with work friends or family visiting...but I wouldn't buy a membership."  

My late mother used to do the books for a local rink. I was pretty young so I don't recall a lot of it but I gathered it was not an easy type of venue to run profitably, efficiently, and also took people that knew what they were doing and could really network the contacts needed to keep it populated. There were different sets of populations and different needs and hard to keep em all happy.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My late mother used to do the books for a local rink. I was pretty young so I don't recall a lot of it but I gathered it was not an easy type of venue to run profitably, efficiently, and also took people that knew what they were doing and could really network the contacts needed to keep it populated. There were different sets of populations and different needs and hard to keep em all happy.

Man- I'd think running a successful rink would be almost more sales than retail.  Like booking parties, events, leagues, practices etc.  I can't imagine that shit just happens on its own. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm pretty opposed to all barbecue in general, so if anyone needed another reason to dislike me I'm now on the record as not liking guns (I'm not in favor of taking away your gun or anything, I just don't like them for myself) and not liking barbecue in the last 30 or 45 minutes on this board. Again, I can't claim to be a Texan, merely that I've lived here for the better part of 30 years (I'm a man- I'm 42) minus time away for law school and working in DC and MN and WI for 3 or 4 summers total.  

What about chili?  Specifically, what about beans in chili?  Think carefully about your answer.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What about chili?  Specifically, what about beans in chili?  Think carefully about your answer.

spacer.png

I've never made chili from scratch. I buy it in a Hormel can and do that very occasionally. I like it when someone who knows how to make chili makes chili. My favorite way would be with deer meet in it.  I don't believe I've ever had it with beans in it- so I suppose I'm ok. I know I don't want it with spaghetti noodles in it like they do in Cincy.  That seems really fucking odd to me. 

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Apparently Wulaw didn't have a goddamn thing to do this afternoon. Fuck. 

As usual I didn't start any of this talk (barbecue or curling or chili), but merely replied to it. If it makes you happy to blame me go ahead. The last page has been fun and doesn't involve anyone screaming at each other or calling each other a cunt, with a little light hearted humor thrown in so I can see why that pisses you off. 

2 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Jesus Christ. The list keeps growing.  What exactly do you do that’s worthwhile??

Start Astros threads with thread titles you don't like.  Help people buy home/save money on their mortgages. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I do know, yes.  And that's right, I am thinking of Carnitas.  

Now- Chorizo is sausage, right?  What the heck do they do with that? B/c I love Chorizo and egg breakfast tacos and then usually, at some point in time, it's like my stomach is exploding and I think I'm going to die.  But it tastes so good going down. And literally I can't think of another food that does that to me. But Chorizo does it every time.  What's the secret there?

lol, Chorizo is pan sausage often made without the casing.  you can make patties with it or brown it like ground meat.  Fat tastes good.

Why are politicians so awkward when they're doing normal shit? Like that or Trump trying to simply drink a glass of water, they look and act like the aliens in human skin in Men in Black when they try to do just every day basic things. 

How many senators do you think can change their own tire, I wonder. I think I'd set the over/under at 20.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Why are politicians so awkward when they're doing normal shit? Like that or Trump trying to simply drink a glass of water, they look and act like the aliens in human skin in Men in Black when they try to do just every day basic things. 

How many senators do you think can change their own tire, I wonder. I think I'd set the over/under at 20.

Yeah- but tweeting it out shows bad sense- why bring that on yourself.  It was a serious question I had 2 or 3 weeks ago (before the sexting) as to when shit like that catches hold and when it doesn't.
The opposite viewpoint would be maybe they aren't all that awkward but they are just being watched and photo'd all the time- and if someone did that you then they might find you looking weird doing normal stuff.  Maybe.  I sort of doubt that.  Watch people drink beer sometimes in a movie- looks goofy as fuck.  Fast and the furious.  Tom Cruise. 

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

well, 25 of them are women so you can cross them off....

I'll show myself out.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does nobody care about the rules anymore 

I asked her if I could post her picture. Or just of her cleavage I took when we were at the beach. She said no. I’m respecting her wishes. There might be something on the RV thread. Nothing you want to fap to. I don’t think anyway. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm pretty opposed to all barbecue in general, so if anyone needed another reason to dislike me I'm now on the record as not liking guns (I'm not in favor of taking away your gun or anything, I just don't like them for myself) and not liking barbecue in the last 30 or 45 minutes on this board. Again, I can't claim to be a Texan, merely that I've lived here for the better part of 30 years (I'm a man- I'm 42) minus time away for law school and working in DC and MN and WI for 3 or 4 summers total.  

I love meat- and when it hits my plate I want it to be purple and still mooing, baaaaa-ing or oinking.  Barbecue doesn't give you that. I don't get it.  That or Dr. Pepper. 

But, politically I did talk about the Cunningham thing as a question of- is this actually going to be a thing?  Then the sexting came right out and buried barbecue-gate. 

What the fuck man? Why would you even say some shit like that here?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

That lesbian sure has a nice truck. 

Why you gotta call them a lesbian based on a truck and jacket?  I mean, sure...the way they are holding the gloves scream, "Fisting Party Tonight!"  

And speaking of fisting.  Just watched that Sen. Perdue video.  Holy shit.  That man done got fisted.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

This is how the Dems should be asking, talk slowly and just throw shit in their face. I wish more of them would do this.

It’s the truth. Nothing is as powerful as the truth. 

Although a steamroller or frickin sharks with laser beams would be good in a pinch. 

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It’s the truth. Nothing is as powerful as the truth. 

Although a steamroller or frickin sharks with laser beams would be good in a pinch. 

They need to stick to 3 topics at most with all the dumb ppl out there, repeat the same points over and over again at them. Every debate should be using them.

memorize what they said and when and repeat it.

The Rs just use 1 point over and over again 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No. Not opposed to it in that sense (not trying to take it away from you) opposed to it in the sense that if someone says what do you want to eat- Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Sushi, or barbecue the answer will never be barbecue.  The answer is only barbecue if the question is- do you want to try that new Indian restaurant or barbecue- then I will get barbecue and order a chopped baker or something and smother cheese and sour cream and butter and sauce on said chopped baker so as to negate the dryness of the barbecue. But I'm not going to make a big issue of it or anything.  

This is a man who gets his BBQ from dickie’s. BBQ properly prepared is not dry and does not need sauce. 

Chorizo is pork and grease and vinegar and spices and delicious. 

Also that sunset valley curling center is a good bar now but they could never get the permits to actually build the curling center and I think they finally gave up last year. However Winston’s Jerk Chicken trick sits on that property and his jerk chicken and chicken curry are both pretty great. 

Finally GOLL is 100% right about ORD. There is no worse airport in the US to be stuck for long periods unless you flew in via international first class on United, then the Polaris lounge is top fucking notch. There is not one other single redeeming quality to that shitshow of an airport.