2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Going back through my KGB playbook, it appears we’re in stage three.

Stage 3: Crisis –  

The government systems cannot function anymore.  

Society collapses- can't function properly  

Power struggle occurs.  

Just to compare and contrast, where is Russia in the KGB playbook?

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Stage 4: Normalization... they’ve been there since around 2000

It's amazing we're getting tooled around by a third rate, backward nation state.

Something tells me we have a lot to do with their current predicament. I guess that makes me feel a little better.

Edited by David Dennison

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's amazing we're getting tooled around by a third rate, backward nation state.

While their economy is dogshit, their power, wealth, and intelligence capabilities are so centralized, it makes them just as dangerous as anyone else.

and they still have all the nukes for defense. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While their economy is dogshit, their power, wealth, and intelligence capabilities are so centralized, it makes them just as dangerous as anyone else.

and they still have all the nukes for defense. 

They are not nearly as dangerous as we are.

But they do have nukes.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Regarding sick outs by TSA, ATC, etc. wife sent me this link.  Article from earlier today:

https://m.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2019/01/opm-warns-feds-against-sick-outs/154334/?oref=m-ge-river

This is just incredibly amazing and equally awful. Good luck punishing people and forcing them out of their jobs and trying to restaff after that. There would be a much longer last impact than Reagan firing all those air traffic controllers in '81.

34 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

This is just incredibly amazing and equally awful. Good luck punishing people and forcing them out of their jobs and trying to restaff after that. There would be a much longer last impact than Reagan firing all those air traffic controllers in '81.

Good thing we destroyed all those terrible unions! Now everyone can live much better... 

Edited by Doc Sam Beckett
Cholas 4 life
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

This will not end this week. Trump cannot wait to have his sotu address in front of a maga rally.

Actually I think it’s bugging the shit out of him that Nancy is denying him the House floor.  Telling Donald Trump, President of the USA, that a member of Congress, a female Democrat no less, can keep him from speaking somewhere has got to be driving him nuts.  

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

Yep.  Anybody who would consider coming in and taking on these jobs are going to have to weigh the fact that Trump will shut down the government anytime he can to get whatever pet project he wants funded. 

11 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ex sister-in-law is an air traffic controller at Seattle-Tacoma Int.  She said that there's a rumor that air traffic controllers are going to call in sick in Atlanta in the middle of next week, shutting down the largest airport in the world just in time for the Super Bowl.  Two of her co-workers have taken retail jobs in order to make ends meet, so they're coming in to work dog tired.  She says there is a lot of desperation now. 

Note to self. Change next weeks flight to transfer in Charlotte instead of Atlanta. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

44 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Note to self. Change next weeks flight to transfer in Charlotte instead of Atlanta. 

I flew out of Austin this past Friday night and the security line went fairly quickly. I will say, however, the TSA agents were in no mood to deal with the typical fucktards that don't know to remove their laptops or shoes. They seemed quite "surly."

Obviously, I wasn't privy to the shit being discussed between the pilots and ATCs, which I'm very grateful for not hearing.

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

I flew out of Austin this past Friday night and the security line went fairly quickly. I will say, however, the TSA agents were in no mood to deal with the typical fucktards that don't know to remove their laptops or shoes. They seemed quite "surly."

Obviously, I wasn't privy to the shit being discussed between the pilots and ATCs, which I'm very grateful for not hearing.

Flew Lufthansa out of DIA last week and the TSA agent literally didn’t bother looking at my ID. She took it. She looked to see if my name popped up when I scanned my boarding pass. But she kept her arm outstretched and held my ID in a way it was literally impossible to see the front of it, and then handed it back.

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is a really effective message that should be accessible to most people. Earlier in the thread I analogized it to how you respond to a child throwing a fit. If you give in, they're going to do it again. Every parents knows this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Flew Lufthansa out of DIA last week and the TSA agent literally didn’t bother looking at my ID. She took it. She looked to see if my name popped up when I scanned my boarding pass. But she kept her arm outstretched and held my ID in a way it was literally impossible to see the front of it, and then handed it back.

Yeah, but you're probably white so there's that.

Power struggle occurs.  

You are fucking insane man.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Power struggle occurs.  

Read more  

You are fucking insane man.

Hey, I know how crazy this shit is but have you seen stage 1 and 2?

Stage one - demoralization - destroy objective truth.  Lie lie lie.

Stage two - destabilization 

You let your target population destabilize themselves. 
Radicalization begins.  
Polarization occurs among family, friends, and neighbors...results in constant fighting...Compromise is impossible
Law and order erodes – Society becomes antagonistic within itself – divisions, fracturing. 
The media puts itself in opposition to the society at large.  
Divisive cultural issues come to the mainstream resulting in conflict, sometimes violently.

But never mind me, I’m nuts.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

So now they are saying tax refunds could be delayed, because IRS personnel are staying home, etc. 

and the polls show Trump is owning this, whether he wants it or not.   

Tomorrow is going to be interesting as hell.  Americans are going to find out whether their Senators care about them or appeasing Donnie. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So now they are saying tax refunds could be delayed, because IRS personnel are staying home, etc.

Yeah. It's a mistake to say that they are going out on time, when you are depending on people who are not currently receiving a paycheck to perform work. You can bet I'd probably be a little slow doing my work if I was there, but not getting my paycheck at the expected time.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tomorrow is going to be interesting as hell.  Americans are going to find out whether their Senators care about them or appeasing Donnie. 

We already know neither bill is getting 60 votes. How much longer until Mitch can’t keep Rs in caucus? Guys up for 2020 re-election should start to worry. For example, Do Texans really want a wall and government to seize private land at the expense of wrecking the economy and screwing federal law enforcement? 

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Newsflash: The people supporting the shutdown don't receive "refunds"

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

With much, much worse polls for Team Red.

Elections are millions of miles away from now.

Think about how much time was left on the clock with Kavanaugh to negate meaningful influence on the election.  It was like a month. 

Team Red has plenty of time to recover. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We already know neither bill is getting 60 votes. How much longer until Mitch can’t keep Rs in caucus? Guys up for 2020 re-election should start to worry. For example, Do Texans really want a wall and government to seize private land at the expense of wrecking the economy and screwing federal law enforcement? 

Texas will disappoint in 2020 just like it did with Teddddd

18 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Yeah. It's a mistake to say that they are going out on time, when you are depending on people who are not currently receiving a paycheck to perform work. You can bet I'd probably be a little slow doing my work if I was there, but not getting my paycheck at the expected time.

"Can't wait to go to work tomorrow, for free, and issue thousands of dollars in refund money to other people while I'm unpaid!" - IRS workers

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Newsflash: The people supporting the shutdown don't receive "refunds"

70-80% of American taxpayers get a refund.   We can joke that the 20%-30% not getting them are Trump supporters, but even just a cursory glance at Trump’s base shows most of them probably get refunds. 

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story