Pebble Beach/Monterey Things to Do

JohnnyShotgun

Hey guys, looking for recs for the Monterey Coast. Wife and I will be there for 5 nights in late January, staying at the Inn at Spanish Bay. Wineries, breweries, seafood, are some of the things we are interested in. We would love local spots for food and drink as well. I know there is an aquarium close by, so will probably stop there for a visit. Open to any other suggestions. Thanks.

Alvarado is brewpub type setting, decent food and bit better beer, Fieldworks is an outdoor type setting, no food but outstanding beer.
Plenty of good places to eat between Monterey and Carmel, Montrio Bistro, Flying fish grill, Portabella and Aubergine for are all really good.
First awakening and From scratch have for breakfast. There are several seafood options on the wharf but they seemed a bit touristy so we skipped.

January is gray whale season, get on a whale watching charter

If you want to golf & not pay PBGR rates, go play Pacific Grove Muni near the aquarium. The front nine is as pedestrian as can be, but the back nine is great (Egan design, who along with MacKenzie did the PB redesign in 1929).
It doesn't have the fame of Spyglass or Links at Spanish Bay (I couldn't get on PB, when I was there for a couple of days) - but it's ocean front, and you can get on, unlike PB or Cypress Point.

Our group had a great dinner at the Mission Ranch Hotel Restaurant.

I’m gonna echo what others have said above but as that area is my current favorite place to visit, I have lots of enthusiastic opinions. Also, as I think I also just wanted an excuse to go look through them again, I’ve also included way too many pics from my most recent trip there.

With respect to breweries, definitely check out Alvarado Street and Fieldworks in Monterey. Both have excellent beers. Alvarado Street is a brewpub too so you can eat there if interested. Plus, they are always releasing two or three different canned beers each week so I like to go there early on to sample what’s there but also pick up some 4 packs to go.

471093244cd460a691d8fd1d02735c95.jpg

Fieldworks is actually just a “tap yard” so it’s good to check out if you just want to hang out and enjoy the weather or, even better, go at night for a nice relaxing vibe.

ac1d1144d03b469f2fa6a7ea4b550d02.jpg

fe65424a2e0d9676a6ef6a243f73227b.jpg

The 17 Mile Drive is definitely recommended for scenery and will get you by the golf courses which you need to check out even if you don’t play. Plus if you eat or have drinks at one of the restaurants/bars on the way (including the courses) your entry fee will be deducted from the bill.

0036779658890f3d849cf1daf1d82569.jpg

dbe493be6317de9550706d3bca286b61.jpg

An even better drive/scenery is driving down Big Sur. On the way, stop and hike around (really just walk around) Point Lobos park. Amazing scenery.

8079441625c5eeb9ded405c82a732d6d.jpg

820143b588191fdfd40a4f06532627e4.jpg

51ceac8cd59eef03cf44b78b2b53ace9.jpg

Keep going down south to at least past Bixby Bridge, check out the purple sands of Pfeifer Beach (and Keyhole Rock).

01ccbb1cbff2ead6cd2a582b777e8549.jpg

15eac13d79477f5390a89e2298b6c69d.jpg

1b97e5a9db2f2ccb7c3f9a02bb6e8b09.jpg

I love having their burger and enjoying the view at Nepenthe, which can be great even when there are a lot of clouds that have rolled in (beneath you):

4ac08b4eeedbfaa97460fabc2bcabba1.jpg

If you are gonna press on further south, I’d also recommend stopping by Ragged Point, the elephant seal rookery (hundreds of them when we were there) and Morro Bay (as Morro Rock is quite striking).

dfad11bd880d89aab14a6d46cd898d76.jpg

7bcccf3a0e80552fc249ed9d7103300a.jpg

cab28e43d8fd93519f7d801e759a8134.jpg

In and around Monterey, the aquarium is pretty impressive (& I’m not a guy that would normally go to one on a trip) and Cannery Row is literally right down the street from the entrance.

9815c569f9615ddcd10d970afab7c06e.jpg

I’ll stop with all the pics but one last rec for one of my favorite places to go there if you like to check out the ocean and views is Lovers Point park which is along a great path for walking/running/bikes right along the ocean and to the northwest of the aquarium. That whole path to the northwest of the aquarium all the way to northern point (bear the lighthouse) is all very striking scenery.

Enjoy your trip!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Mdleast has it covered. Pfeiffer Beach is amazing, big sur is a whole day and an absolute must.

I love Carmel Valley, been enough times to have friends there. There is something about that valley road that just does it for me. Bernardus Lodge in the valley has a solid spa, it’s pricy but nice. The wine tasting rooms are there too. Ingrid Estate Chardonnay at the Bernardus tasting room is my fav - and I don’t like Chardonnay!!

I took my girlfriend to show her around this fall and we ended up having dinner with total strangers, walking the beach, and going back to their place in Carmel-by-the-sea - just an amazing. Ha sounds like swingers but it wasn’t.

Enjoy the weather it’s the best!

Big sur and Carmel valley road are musts, IMO. And you can’t go wrong with mdleast’s itinerary.

Some real high points covered here. I like Fishwife in Pacific Grove - it's better than the menu suggests. Not fancy, but solid seafood. A little more upscale is Passionfish. I'm a fan of Pacific Grove in general, as it's just slightly less traveled than Carmel - at least a different crowd.

The Aquarium is world-class, and huge - it can take a good chunk of the day to visit, but is highly worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve only been lucky enough to visit the area once, and it was all paid for, but The Sardine Factory restaurant in Cannery Row was very memorable. The place is very old school and I swear the owners are actual gangsters (awesome guys). The wine cellar is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen and has its own bar and banquet room. Ask to go down and take a look, and check out the famous names on the wine lockers.

And of course walking Pebble is a life experience.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:39 PM, mdleast said:

I’m gonna echo what others have said above but as that area is my current favorite place to visit, I have lots of enthusiastic opinions. Also, as I think I also just wanted an excuse to go look through them again, I’ve also included way too many pics from my most recent trip there.

With respect to breweries, definitely check out Alvarado Street and Fieldworks in Monterey. Both have excellent beers. Alvarado Street is a brewpub too so you can eat there if interested. Plus, they are always releasing two or three different canned beers each week so I like to go there early on to sample what’s there but also pick up some 4 packs to go.

471093244cd460a691d8fd1d02735c95.jpg

Fieldworks is actually just a “tap yard” so it’s good to check out if you just want to hang out and enjoy the weather or, even better, go at night for a nice relaxing vibe.

ac1d1144d03b469f2fa6a7ea4b550d02.jpg

fe65424a2e0d9676a6ef6a243f73227b.jpg

The 17 Mile Drive is definitely recommended for scenery and will get you by the golf courses which you need to check out even if you don’t play. Plus if you eat or have drinks at one of the restaurants/bars on the way (including the courses) your entry fee will be deducted from the bill.

0036779658890f3d849cf1daf1d82569.jpg

dbe493be6317de9550706d3bca286b61.jpg

An even better drive/scenery is driving down Big Sur. On the way, stop and hike around (really just walk around) Point Lobos park. Amazing scenery.

8079441625c5eeb9ded405c82a732d6d.jpg

820143b588191fdfd40a4f06532627e4.jpg

51ceac8cd59eef03cf44b78b2b53ace9.jpg

Keep going down south to at least past Bixby Bridge, check out the purple sands of Pfeifer Beach (and Keyhole Rock).

01ccbb1cbff2ead6cd2a582b777e8549.jpg

15eac13d79477f5390a89e2298b6c69d.jpg

1b97e5a9db2f2ccb7c3f9a02bb6e8b09.jpg

I love having their burger and enjoying the view at Nepenthe, which can be great even when there are a lot of clouds that have rolled in (beneath you):

4ac08b4eeedbfaa97460fabc2bcabba1.jpg

If you are gonna press on further south, I’d also recommend stopping by Ragged Point, the elephant seal rookery (hundreds of them when we were there) and Morro Bay (as Morro Rock is quite striking).

dfad11bd880d89aab14a6d46cd898d76.jpg

7bcccf3a0e80552fc249ed9d7103300a.jpg

cab28e43d8fd93519f7d801e759a8134.jpg

In and around Monterey, the aquarium is pretty impressive (& I’m not a guy that would normally go to one on a trip) and Cannery Row is literally right down the street from the entrance.

9815c569f9615ddcd10d970afab7c06e.jpg

I’ll stop with all the pics but one last rec for one of my favorite places to go there if you like to check out the ocean and views is Lovers Point park which is along a great path for walking/running/bikes right along the ocean and to the northwest of the aquarium. That whole path to the northwest of the aquarium all the way to northern point (bear the lighthouse) is all very striking scenery.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I don't take enough when we travel and these brought back a lot of good memories. Lovers Point is a great place to watch a sunrise. Our condo looked out on the point. We walked to the rocks and watched the sun come up every morning we were there.

We were in Monterrey to watch my son in law race at Laguna Seca. If you are a gearhead at all, check to see if there are any events at the track. Hike to the top of the Corkscrew and imagine Alex Zanardi going offroad in an Indycar.

Went with wife in October for a week.  Driving through Big Sur and hopping out to do little hikes was one of our favorite things.  We did that several days.  One day we downed a bottle of Veuve at a little turnout on a high point south of Bixby Bridge.  It was pretty damn neat.

I actually liked lunch at Ventanas (which we did twice) better than the dinner at Post Ranch Inn.  At Ventanas you have a great view of the ocean and it was a good lunch at a reasonable price.  Post Ranch Inn I thought was kind of a rip off for what I paid.  Ventanas is almost right across the PCH from Post Ranch Inn.

Also liked Mission Ranch a lot, very good value.  And Le Biceclette (sp?) in Carmel for dinner.  Also, there is a cheesy Italian restaurant called Vesuvio in Carmel that has a pretty badass rooftop bar.  We went there before dinner one night.

Go to Spanish Bay Inn one evening for sunset cocktails and listen them play bag pipes.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I don't take enough when we travel and these brought back a lot of good memories. Lovers Point is a great place to watch a sunrise. Our condo looked out on the point. We walked to the rocks and watched the sun come up every morning we were there.

We were in Monterrey to watch my son in law race at Laguna Seca. If you are a gearhead at all, check to see if there are any events at the track. Hike to the top of the Corkscrew and imagine Alex Zanardi going offroad in an Indycar.

If you’re there during the vintage races holy shit it’s great. The car shows on pebble beach are amazing too. Laguna Seca is amazing though no other way about it. And the corkscrew is exactly where to watch. The climb up from the other side and the turn to the back to set up the corkscrew is pretty bad ass to drive or so I’ve heard.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 4:29 PM, Wally Fairway said:

If you want to golf & not pay PBGR rates, go play Pacific Grove Muni near the aquarium. The front nine is as pedestrian as can be, but the back nine is great (Egan design, who along with MacKenzie did the PB redesign in 1929).
It doesn't have the fame of Spyglass or Links at Spanish Bay (I couldn't get on PB, when I was there for a couple of days) - but it's ocean front, and you can get on, unlike PB or Cypress Point.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I had a buddy whose parents lived in PG so we spent a lot of time in that area. I probably played PG muni 20 times. The difference between the front and back nine is ridiculous. Loved that course for the money, which was under $30 at the time.

DCSF11_004-00001.jpg

We also did a fair amount of sea kayaking and scuba diving down there. Walk in off the beach at the cove at Lovers Point, and dive in the kelp forests with seals, otters, etc... water is pretty damn chilly however.

viewsmall.jpg

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Don’t know if you are playing Pebble or not, but the Tap Room in the clubhouse has really great food and beers. Lots of history. And you can go walk out to 18 green and watch people come in. It’s beautiful. Last time i was there I needed a 3 on 18 to shoot under par. I hit it in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Made 6. Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

If you’re there during the vintage races holy shit it’s great. The car shows on pebble beach are amazing too. Laguna Seca is amazing though no other way about it. And the corkscrew is exactly where to watch. The climb up from the other side and the turn to the back to set up the corkscrew is pretty bad ass to drive or so I’ve heard.

My kids have a couple of Miatas. We were there for the annual Mazda national get together. It was a lot of fun watching everything from absolute beginners to seasoned vets having a ball on the track for a weekend.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I'm in Pacific Grove for about 6 weeks. We had a high wave/water surge last week. Did a bit of damage like forced closure of some roads, overturned a car left in a parking lot, and lots of beach erosion. My phone's photos pale compared to what this guy grabbed with a real camera.

carmel big wave lone cypress.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1