Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Trump would never use the word insufficient.

Also, lol at whoever decided to use "insufficient evidence". So in other words there was SOME evidence that he is a shitbag criminal, but not enough. So totally exonerated! What a lying piece of human garbage. 

Probably learned it when banks stamped it across his checks. 

Edited by brown water
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Democrats have been talking about demographics destroying the Republican party for the last thirty years, while the Republicans have been wielding power to consolidate their control of the country and turn this place into the Handmaid's Tale. In another five years contraception will be illegal and women will be wearing the whole Handmaid's getup and center-left Democrats and center-right former Republicans will still be holding out hope for the next election to magically return everything to normalcy.

Hispanics only passed up whites in Texas within the past 5-10 years.  It’s going to take time to completely reflect that at the polls, but it’s happening, and Republicans are doing their best to piss them off.  

Republicans are acting like they know the change is coming, hence the voter suppression and robbing the cash register on the way out of the building.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Hispanics only passed up whites in Texas within the past 5-10 years.  It’s going to take time to completely reflect that at the polls, but it’s happening, and Republicans are doing their best to piss them off.  

That's not how power works. The Republicans hold power in Texas right now and aren't going to cede it.  They'll just ramp up voter suppression to another level and purge all but one Rodriguez, Dominguez, etc. and claim everyone else with those names are illegals. Demographics would be destiny if the Republicans played by any semblance of rules. They don't. This is Calvinball with life or death stakes for anyone who isn't a white, Christian male. We can't begin to solve that problem until we acknowledge it first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's not how power works. The Republicans hold power in Texas right now and aren't going to cede it.  They'll just ramp up voter suppression to another level and purge all but one Rodriguez, Dominguez, etc. and claim everyone else with those names are illegals. Demographics would be destiny if the Republicans played by any semblance of rules. They don't. This is Calvinball with life or death stakes for anyone who isn't a white, Christian male. We can't begin to solve that problem until we acknowledge it first.

This.

And also, even when they aren't suppressed, hispanics have shitty turnout.  Making up 30% of the state doesn't make a shit if only 20% of that (6% of the population) shows up to vote.  As many observers have noted, Texas isn't a red state, it's a non-voting state.

And who were the five dudes Trump said should be killed even though they were cleared using DNA evidence?  

The Central Park Five.

There’s a new documentary coming out on Netflix called “When They See Us” premiering this Friday.

It’s gotten fantastic reviews and I can’t wait to watch it.

Curious to see how Trump’s role in this is portrayed.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

And also, even when they aren't suppressed, hispanics have shitty turnout.  Making up 30% of the state doesn't make a shit if only 20% of that (6% of the population) shows up to vote.  As many observers have noted, Texas isn't a red state, it's a non-voting state.

And, if they try to increase turnout, they'll suffer real physical intimidation and violence at the polls as part of the GOP's suppression efforts. 

15 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This bullshit of if so-and-so is the Democratic nominee then I'm just sitting this one out no longer works. I have sat it out before because I felt both Republicans and Democrats were the same. If the last two and a half years of having a childish screaming asshole as president have taught us nothing else it should be that THIS IS NOT A BOTH SIDES thing any longer.

Anyone still saying both sides should be shot out of a cannon directly into an active volcano. I am no fan of the Democrats for the most part, but holy hell if you can't understand why they have to win the office of the president in 2020 instead of our fat fucking orange Dotard and his merry band of racist shitheads then I don't know what to tell you. They will gleefully continue to further ruin our country by treating all those evil brown people as being less than human as long as they are allowed to. If that is okay with you then fuck right off and crawl back into the hole you came out of. You deserve to wind up at the bottom of the East River.

This is great but there’s a LOT of people that bury their head in the sand.  They want to avoid seeing kids in detention centers so they can pull the R lever guilt free.  God forbid they lose their safe space and somebody discusses kids dying in customs custody or flat out racist policies.  These are the assholes we need to worry about.  Don’t let them off the hook.  That’s exactly what they’re looking for, a free pass to vote for their wallet above all else.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

And, if they try to increase turnout, they'll suffer real physical intimidation and violence at the polls as part of the GOP's suppression efforts. 

There’s power in numbers.  Bus in etc.  This can’t be an excuse.  Of course there will be efforts but this isn’t the south during civil rights riots.  Get up and go to the voting sites.  Utilize phone cameras etc.  Truth is most Hispanics don’t even try to vote in TX.  That has to stop.  

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Ahhh sheeeit, giving someone a ride to vote will get you 10-20. 

Lol not bus in like that.  I mean take whatever transport so there’s many at the sites together.  Not the south side Chicago bus in stuff...

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s power in numbers.  Bus in etc.  This can’t be an excuse.  Of course there will be efforts but this isn’t the south during civil rights riots.  Get up and go to the voting sites.  Utilize phone cameras etc.  Truth is most Hispanics don’t even try to vote in TX.  That has to stop.  

Yeah the reason the valley doesn’t vote is not because of voter suppression. The valley doesn’t vote because they are relatively happy (or at least not pissed off) and feel like the state and feds don’t do much for them anyway. Local school board elections down there are far more important than whether or not the whites put some jackass in the White House. 

Not sure how you change that but if trump isn’t gonna do it I have no idea what will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

What you don't understand is that Hispanics largely vote Republican.  I've been told this multiple times here on surly -- it must be true.

25 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s power in numbers.  Bus in etc.

Except there is a movement afoot to disallow more than something like 4 voters per vehicle.

It's such a patently absurd and utterly transparent move, it will probably pass.

42 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is great but there’s a LOT of people that bury their head in the sand.  They want to avoid seeing kids in detention centers so they can pull the R lever guilt free.  God forbid they lose their safe space and somebody discusses kids dying in customs custody or flat out racist policies.  These are the assholes we need to worry about.  Don’t let them off the hook.  That’s exactly what they’re looking for, a free pass to vote for their wallet above all else.  

Pretty much sums up my mom. Except she votes on abortion. Then ignores the news because it's too negative and everyone is fighting. We have a rule to not talk politics. But there was quiet the drama when her sisters found out she voted for Cruz.

• Like 1

Here's the text of some version of it.  I still can't figure out what the punishment for a violation is.  (and lest I get jumped on again by some illiterate surlymember again, my comment that i can't figure out the punishment is not an expression of endorsing the law.  it means I can't figure out the punishment)

SECTION 2.11.  Section 64.009, Election Code, is amended by

adding Subsections (e) and (f) to read as follows:
         (e)  A person who assists a voter voting under this section
  by providing the voter with transportation to the polling place
  must complete and sign a form that:
               (1)  requires the person to affirm that the voter is
  physically unable to enter the polling place without personal
  assistance or likelihood of injuring the voter's health; and
               (2)  contains the following information:
                     (A)  the person's name and address; and
                     (B)  whether the person is providing assistance
  solely under this section or under both this section and Subchapter

B.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What you don't understand is that Hispanics largely vote Republican.  I've been told this multiple times here on surly -- it must be true.

Whoever said that is a dumbass but Hispanics vote republican more often than you would think.

One of my best friends is Hispanic, grew up on the border and loves him some trump. A guy I know in the valley initially supported Cruz over Beto because he was told beto was gonna eliminate the bail bond business and that’s what he does for a living. I turned him around on that bullshit only to find out his son voted for Cruz anyway. Total bullshit. It’s maddening but what are ya gonna do. 

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah the reason the valley doesn’t vote is not because of voter suppression. The valley doesn’t vote because they are relatively happy (or at least not pissed off) and feel like the state and feds don’t do much for them anyway. Local school board elections down there are far more important than whether or not the whites put some jackass in the White House. 

Not sure how you change that but if trump isn’t gonna do it I have no idea what will.

The Valley also has a high Catholic population so they vote for republicans in big elections anyways. Also, a lot of Valley Mexicans think they're way better than the Mexico Mexicans. A lot of classism down there. They don't understand that when Trump and his buddies talk about immigrants, they're basically talking about all brown people, not just the poor ones crossing the border. You think anyone in Alabama cares if your Mexican ass was born in McAllen or Reynosa. You're brown and that's all that matters and all brown people need to go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Whoever said that is a dumbass but Hispanics vote republican more often than you would think.

One of my best friends is Hispanic, grew up on the border and loves him some trump. A guy I know in the valley initially supported Cruz over Beto because he was told beto was gonna eliminate the bail bond business and that’s what he does for a living. I turned him around on that bullshit only to find out his son voted for Cruz anyway. Total bullshit. It’s maddening but what are ya gonna do. 

Well, I think Hispanics vote Republican exactly as much as the statistics tell us they do, which is well less than 50%.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I think Hispanics vote Republican exactly as much as the statistics tell us they do, which is well less than 50%.

Oh I agree with you. I do think that Hispanics in Texas vote republican more than Hispanics in other states though. Hell W got a majority of the Hispanic vote when he ran for governor. 

But yes normally the Hispanic vote is much more democrat, even in Texas. 

Weve been waiting for the Hispanic vote in the valley to wake up because Texas would turn democrat overnight. Still waiting. 

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Oh I agree with you. I do think that Hispanics in Texas vote republican more than Hispanics in other states though. Hell W got a majority of the Hispanic vote when he ran for governor. 

But yes normally the Hispanic vote is much more democrat, even in Texas. 

Weve been waiting for the Hispanic vote in the valley to wake up because Texas would turn democrat overnight. Still waiting. 

beto got el paso to start catching up with the rest of the state.  they still lagged a substantial amount, but the gap closed a bit.

The GOP plan for Hispanic voters has two elements:

1) Scream about abortion as loudly and as often as you can, because Hispanics are largely Catholic, and that will ring the bell for them.  This can mean that the GOP doesn't lose the vote among Hispanics who DO show up by too large a margin.

2) Do everything you can to suppress the Hispanic vote altogether, because if that demographic is anything less than 51% in your favor, lock them out of the polls.  Allow vote by touchscreen on any tee-vee tuned into Fox News, of course.  But make sure that the only polling places open are in white suburbs, surrounded by menacing looking cops and ICE agents.  And of course, purge the voter rolls of anyone with a name suspected of being an illegal alien -- really, shouldn't the burden of proof be on everyone named Martinez to show up at the polls and prove, again, that they are eligible voters?  Maybe by doing a simple test comprised of an American Ninja Warrior obstacle course and a college level English class requiring a 5 page essay on the surprising anti-feminist subtext in The Scarlet Letter. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And of course, purge the voter rolls of anyone with a name suspected of being an illegal alien -- really, shouldn't the burden of proof be on everyone named Martinez to show up at the polls and prove, again, that they are eligible voters?  Maybe by doing a simple test comprised of an American Ninja Warrior obstacle course and a college level English class requiring a 5 page essay on the surprising anti-feminist subtext in The Scarlet Letter. 

I will say, I've always sort of filed "history" under "the past" in my brain, but the current place we are at really makes history come alive!  my high school history teachers would be so pleased.  it's pretty tough to ignore a thread of slavery to lily white to jim crow to civil rights era to current voting suppression.  and -- coincidences of coincidences -- its people from the same area that look the same every time doing it.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Local school board elections down there are far more important than whether or not the whites put some jackass in the White House. 

Local school board elections down there are far more important because your BIL can steer contracts your way if he's on the school board instead of your competitor's BIL.

U.S. Says Russia Likely Conducting Low-Yield Nuke Tests, Defying Test Ban Treaty

Russia has likely been secretly carrying out very low-yield nuclear tests to upgrade its nuclear arsenal, according to a new U.S. intelligence assessment, challenging Moscow’s claims that it is faithfully adhering to an international treaty banning nuclear tests.

Apologies for WSJ paywall, but this is the first reporting I'm seeing of this. Thank god we have such a strong leader to face us off against the kremlin in these trying time of nuclear arms testing.

EDIT: Found another non-paywalled article

Russia has secretly conducted low-yield nuclear tests of some undetermined magnitude in an effort to upgrade its nuclear arsenal, according to a new U.S. intelligence assessment. The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that the supposed testing would be the first time Moscow has failed in its compliance with the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and challenges the Putin government’s claims to have strictly adhered to the arms-control accord. “The United States believes that Russia probably is not adhering to its nuclear testing moratorium in a manner consistent with the ‘zero-yield’ standard,” Lt. Gen. Robert Ashley, the director of the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, was prepared to say, according to remarks in a speech set for Wednesday. Administration officials would not specify the size of the Russian tests, nor would they say if the U.S. has raised its concerns directly with Moscow.

The alleged tests come after the Trump administration said it would withdraw from a treaty on intermediate-range nuclear forces because Russia had allegedly violated the agreement. A senior Trump administration official told the Journal that the U.S. isn’t interested in resuming nuclear testing, but allowing tests by adversaries, such as Russia and China, above the “zero yield” would be indefensible. “We do not want to be held to a different standard than Russia and China,” he said.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that the anonymous source is full of shit and Russia is not conducting nuclear tests.  

Hopefully trump will ask Putin that very question next time he sees him. That should clear it all up once and for all. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that the anonymous source is full of shit and Russia is not conducting nuclear tests.  

“The United States believes that Russia probably is not adhering to its nuclear testing moratorium in a manner consistent with the ‘zero-yield’ standard,” Lt. Gen. Robert Ashley, the director of the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, was prepared to say, according to remarks in a speech set for Wednesday. Administration officials would not specify the size of the Russian tests, nor would they say if the U.S. has raised its concerns directly with Moscow.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Do you lay in bed at night and feel good about how you spent your time during the day?  "None of those surly posters bit on my troll today, BUT ALAS tomorrow may finally be my day!"  Just seems like a waste of an existence.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Do you lay in bed at night and feel good about how you spent your time during the day?  "None of those surly posters bit on my troll today, BUT ALAS tomorrow may finally be my day!"  Just seems like a waste of an existence.  

I don't troll on the politics board.  Maybe on the Movies/TV board sometimes, but only rarely.

Spoiler

Lieutenant General Robert P. Ashley, Jr. became the 21st Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency on 3 October 2017. He formerly served as the Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-2, where he was the senior advisor to the Secretary of the Army and Army Chief of Staff for all aspects of intelligence, counterintelligence and security.

Lieutenant General Ashley is a career army military intelligence officer with assignments in Fort Bragg, NC, Washington, DC, Fort Gordon, GA, MacDill Air Force Base, FL, Izmir, Turkey, and deployments to Operation JOINT FORGE, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, Iraq, and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan.

He has commanded at the company, battalion, squadron, and brigade levels with combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a squadron, brigade commander, and J-2. His commands include the 206th Military Intelligence Battalion, Fort Gordon, GA, Intelligence Squadron, Office of Military Support, Washington, DC, and the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Airborne Corps.

Other key assignments include the Director of Intelligence, United States Army Joint Special Operations Command; the Director of Intelligence, United States Central Command; the Deputy Chief of Staff, Intelligence, International Security Assistance Force and Director of Intelligence, United States Forces, Afghanistan; and Commanding General, the United States Army Intelligence Center of Excellence and Fort Huachuca, AZ.

Lieutenant General Ashley has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Appalachian State University, a master’s degree in Strategic Intelligence from the Defense Intelligence College and a master’s degree in Strategic Studies from the United States Army War College. His awards and decorations include the Defense Superior Service Medal (2OLC), Legion of Merit (1OLC), and Bronze Star Medal (2OLC). Lieutenant General Ashley has also earned the Parachutist Badge, Army Aviation Crewmember Badge, Army Staff Identification Badge, and Australian Parachutist Badge.

Lieutenant General Ashley and his wife, Barbara, have two sons – Sean, married to Lucy, and Justin.

Its comical that a known board troll is calling this man full of shit. But we expect nothing less. 

Well the only new evidence to suggest that Russia is conducting nuclear tests (test facility for subcritical experiments) is equally applicable to us given that we have a similar facility, so maybe we are the ones actually violating the test ban treaty.  It's not like the administration is disposed favorably to arms control.