Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In retrospect, when it came to electing a black man to be president....

giphy.gif

A lot of us believed what we wanted to -- that we'd progressed as a society, that we were beyond grunting masses responding to age-old dog whistles.

We were WAY fucking wrong.  I truly had no idea how badly electing a black man as president was going to fucking break the brains of half the people in the country, but it did.  And they ain't going anywhere.  

And here’s the thing. We all like to sit back and call trump a moron, which of course he is, but who out there was the biggest Obama critic on twitter and the biggest birther idiot who became a hero to the anti-obama is a Black Muslim crowd? 

Donald J Trump.

It’s  not like he just descended from the escalator of his cheesy tower and announced he was running for president. He had been creating his obama hating cult for YEARS. 

And I don’t think he’s smart enough to have come up with that all on his own. Nope. Someone gave trump some “ideas.” And he ran with them. I wonder who that could have been? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

OK, so let's concede that toxic media influence is a core problem. What do "we" do to address that?

Nothing.  The ship has sailed, we are too stupid to survive as a functional Republic.  We're going to end up a well-armed banana republic.  I'm sure that's going to work out well for planet Earth.

• Like 1

NICE!

actually, this tweet distills the essence of what drives trump. it's the appearance of power. denial to a perfectly qualified candidate, because...reasons. Conflict of Interest randomly capitalized, though i don't think it is all that random. he capitalizes words upon which he wants rubes to focus. this guy has gone way out of his way to not call him a crook, but that isn't stopping him from calling mueller a biased fraud.

but can we all take a minute to appreciate that trump has figured out how to spell counsel?

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

A lot of us believed what we wanted to -- that we'd progressed as a society, that we were beyond grunting masses responding to age-old dog whistles.

We were WAY fucking wrong.  I truly had no idea how badly electing a black man as president was going to fucking break the brains of half the people in the country, but it did.  And they ain't going anywhere.  

I have pointed that out on this site more than once.

Given the facts that we were:

In the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Current lame duck R president had record low approval.

In an unpopular war(s) under widely known false pretenses.

Sarah Palin was a vice presidential candidate.

McCain was old.

This election should have been a Reaganesqe landslide.  I said it the morning after the election...No surprise Obama won, but I don't think a lot of America wants a black president.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

NICE!

actually, this tweet distills the essence of what drives trump. it's the appearance of power. denial to a perfectly qualified candidate, because...reasons. Conflict of Interest randomly capitalized, though i don't think it is all that random. he capitalizes words upon which he wants rubes to focus. this guy has gone way out of his way to not call him a crook, but that isn't stopping him from calling mueller a biased fraud.

but can we all take a minute to appreciate that trump has figured out how to spell counsel?

“named” by trump-hating democrats i can assume?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nothing.  The ship has sailed, we are too stupid to survive as a functional Republic.  We're going to end up a well-armed banana republic.  I'm sure that's going to work out well for planet Earth.

Actually, the IQ of an average American today is higher than at any point in our history.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I tend to agree.  I don't see an out. I don't see the course correction that could addresses the core issues in a meaningful. I may be missing it, or lack the right imagination.  As stated ad nauseum, political death spiral.  

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

Sometimes things need to be broken before you can really heal.  I never voted for Obama but I’m glad he brought these racist pieces of shit out in the open.  The problems of structural racism that were swept under the rug for 100 years are much easier to see and therefore easier to address now that we can’t pretend like racism doesn’t exist.  The racism is right in our face now.   How we respond will define us.  

I know Brisket thinks we’re past the point of no return but America’s best years were well after the Civil War.  

This is going to be a 20 year project. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Actually, the IQ of an average American today is higher than at any point in our history.  

Intelligence does not have a negative correlation with stupidity.  In fact, a certain level of intelligence (higher) is even more dangerous.  Dunning Kruger and all that.  Stupid people know they're stupid.  Smart people generally know they are smart, AND know the limits of their knowledge and information.  It's that group in between -- smarter than idiots, but not smart enough to know how dumb they still are -- that will kill you.  And that is the essence of America right now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I tend to agree.  I don't see an out. I don't see the course correction that could addresses the core issues in a meaningful. I may be missing it, or lack the right imagination.  As stated ad nauseum, political death spiral.  

Nah. Vote the shitstain out in 2020, have the dems take control of the senate, eliminate the filibuster, and pass a bunch of laws designed to make sure this crap never happens again. See house bill 1. 

Oh and expand the power of secret courts to issue FISA warrants whenever they please, especially when a Republican is investigated.  Can’t forget about that one! 

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

OK, so let's concede that toxic media influence is a core problem. What do "we" do to address that?

Well, let's start by teaching kids the historical underpinnings of the Constitution, with a lot of time devoted to 1A.  All of it.  What it means.  What it doesn't mean.  Why it exists.

It's kind of an analog of "love your neighbor as thy self" -- it may not be the whole story, but start there and you're well on your way to understanding some shit.

9 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have pointed that out on this site more than once.

Given the facts that we were:

In the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Current lame duck R president had record low approval.

In an unpopular war(s) under widely known false pretenses.

Sarah Palin was a vice presidential candidate.

McCain was old.

This election should have been a Reaganesqe landslide.  I said it the morning after the election...No surprise Obama won, but I don't think a lot of America wants a black president.

This is why I laugh when anyone thinks Mayor Pete will ever even have a chance in this election, even as a VP candidate.  If you think pushback against a black president brought out the worst, wait until the homophobes get started.  

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nah. Vote the shitstain out in 2020, have the dems take control of the senate, eliminate the filibuster, and pass a bunch of laws designed to make sure this crap never happens again. See house bill 1. 

Yes, and pack the court as well.  Sure fire way to de-escalate the political polarization. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, let's start by teaching kids the historical underpinnings of the Constitution, with a lot of time devoted to 1A.  All of it.  What it means.  What it doesn't mean.  Why it exists.

This is a great idea.  We should also include a substantial amount of time to the 2nd and 4th. Maybe JimmyJames can the first in line for the 4th amendment module.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, and pack the court as well.  Sure fire way to de-escalate the political polarization. 

There is no path forward that isn't -- AT BEST -- the political equivalent of "we had to destroy the village in order to save it."  There are no good options.  Only horrific options, and terrible options.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Do you think that if a Dem is elected POTUS in 2020 and a SCOTUS kicks the bucket in year one, the GOP senate would confirm a Dem nominated justice? I don't. I believe they'd block it the entire presidency.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Just now, Anastasis said:

This is a great idea.  We should also include a substantial amount of time to the 2nd and 4th. Maybe JimmyJames can the first in line for the 4th amendment module.

The fourth amendment has been dead for years. Not sure what your point is on that. 

As for the second, you would think people could come to reasonable restrictions on guns without violating it, but thanks to the NRA and plain Jane looking Russian honeypots, it hasn’t happened yet. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

There is no path forward that isn't -- AT BEST -- the political equivalent of "we had to destroy the village in order to save it."  There are no good options.  Only horrific options, and terrible options.

Sounds a lot like acknowledge of the inevitability of "burn it all down". 

I think 1A teaches a huge amount of what makes America unique (or at least did).  I think 2A is tough, because the interpretations are so ingrained on #bothsides that getting any kind of curriculum approved would be a nightmare.  That doesn't mean there's no good reason to try, but just starting with 1A would fill in giant knowledge gaps that have either existed for decades or are being intentionally generated.  Continue through the entire Bill of Rights in middle school.  Good luck with that, but yes, do it anyway.

1 hour ago, sachick said:

Death now would be too good for him. Let him finish out this term so he can go home to NY where he will then be convicted of some sort of RICO/tax fraud/bank fraud crime and have to do the walk of shame and turn himself if for his prison sentence. Do you think they'll allow him to wear his toupee in the fancy prison?

He's a loudmouth motherfucker.  If he go's out like Hector Salamanca, I'm ok with it.  But as long as he can flap those jowls, we're all better off with him dead.  And before anybody gets their panties in a wad, the last thing I want is for someone to kill this fat bastard...he'd be a martyr for the millions of sheep fighting to lick his taint.  No thanks. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Some of the smartest people I know are doctors. Many of them are also total idiots about a lot of things and belong on the spectrum. 

Try working in Silicon Valley.

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's a loudmouth motherfucker.  If he go's out like Hector Salamanca, I'm ok with it.  But as long as he can flap those jowls, we're all better off with him dead.  And before anybody gets their panties in a wad, the last thing I want is for someone to kill this fat bastard...he'd be a martyr for the millions of sheep fighting to lick his taint.  No thanks. 

Trump would be the most ironic martyr tho... 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

10%.  

let that sink in.

I'm pretty sure they didn't poll the entire House.  That's probably the list of those who have gone on record as being in favor of starting impeachment proceedings.  Presuming the other 90% are against is . . . presumptuous.