Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

59 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

PBS' annual Capitol Fourth nonpartisan special is happening independently of the Trump event and has been planned for months, although Trump's team is claiming it as part of their other events (parade, Blue Angels, etc.). 

So glad to hear this.

I don't remember. Did Clinton/Bush/Obama speak at July 4th celebrations in DC? Maybe a 'Thanks for coming. God bless America'?

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol, just saw Kellyanne Conway's response when people questioned her about the 4th of July parade.  "I'm not going to let you politicize it!"

Same fucking play over and over.  No politicize! No politicize!  You politicize!

They only gave VIP tickets to RNC donors and are fundraising/inviting campaign supporters to attend- but let’s not politicize

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

“Mr. President, if this is to honor the troops, why is the showcase of your military parade Ivanka straddling the tip of an orange ballistic missile?”

“Shush!  Print whatever you want, but just shut up and don’t ruin this for me!”

Cher's If I Could Turn Back Time being played by a military band.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was in downtown Houston on Saturday night and the homeless situation was the worst I’ve seen it.   Mini tent cities under overpasses, lines of people sleeping on the sidewalk.  It was heartbreaking.

Man, I grew up there and never saw anything like that.

/s

1 hour ago, Keef said:

As a resident who loves living here, parts of San Francisco any American city with over 100,000 people are downright disgusting and, at times, dangerous.  The problem isn't all over, but large swathes of  SF any American city with over 100,000 people juxtapose significant wealth against abject poverty and homelessness.  I don't have answers or know anything about the potential policy fixes, but the issues here are real.

FIFY 

1 hour ago, retread said:

So glad to hear this.

I don't remember. Did Clinton/Bush/Obama speak at July 4th celebrations in DC? Maybe a 'Thanks for coming. God bless America'?

No, it's just a big patriotic celebration for the people. All the people. Politicians don't make speeches. But Trump has to make everything about him. 

Too bad he's not spending the 4th in Moscow again this year. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No, it's just a big patriotic celebration for the people. All the people. Politicians don't make speeches. But Trump has to make everything about him. 

I heard today on CNN...so probably fake...that presidents traditionally held a celebration at the WH and invited military dignitaries and their families, among others.  They would watch the fireworks from the South Lawn.

5 minutes ago, Gooby said:

I heard today on CNN...so probably fake...that presidents traditionally held a celebration at the WH and invited military dignitaries and their families, among others.  They would watch the fireworks from the South Lawn.

Right. They're allowed to celebrate the 4th too and watch the fireworks. They'd address the people at their private party. But the celebration on the National Mall is for the people. 

I have a feeling this 4th of July extravaganza is going to be epic...but not for the right reasons.  Red (blood), white (people), and blue (uniforms)...also wouldn't be shocked if some Trumpkin shoots the Baby Trump balloon.

Welcome to the new America, brought to you by the Proud Boys and ANTIFA

27 minutes ago, Gooby said:

Isn't this a violation of the flag code?

"4 U.S. Code § 8.Respect for flag

U.S. Code

Notes

prev | next

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.(a)

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b)

The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c)

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d)

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e)

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f)

The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g)

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h)

The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i)

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j)

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k)

The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

(Added Pub. L. 105–225, § 2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)"

Edited by Lagunamadre
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We didn’t rebuild Germany and Japan because we thought maybe they were right or at least not so bad after all.  We thought we were right, and they deserved to get nuked and firebombed, but we also realized it would benefit us not to put the screws to them so much that they came back again in a few years for round 3.

Like Brickhorn said, this is as much or more about pragmatism than being tender hearted.

While I appreciate your and Brickhorn’s thoughts, let’s not forget that magnanimous  nation-building only worked after first killing millions of Japanese and Germans, the suicide of Hitler and complete surrender of Japan by the emperor and only after we dropped the bomb on them twice.

We’re still at Pearl Harbor and the Blitzkrieg invasion of Belgium/France.  No future is certain, and Trumpism has not been yet stymied, much less driven back.  The only thing certain is that there is a united movement promoting a dark brand of conservatism in our country.  That they are a minority, but determined to win at any cost and will not settle for a fair fight by the rules, because that is a fight they would never win.

Pragmatic measures to expedite healing have to first be preceded by vanquishing the foe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Is this when he shows off his new uniform and medals? 

Edited by Brandywine