Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If things continue the way they are in Texas, and a lot more Republicans in power get the shit scared out of them, including loss of US Congressional House and more state legislative seats, Texas is going to get so ugly for an election cycle or two.

But, there's not much Republicans in Texas can do to stem the tide, and in fact, they are running a serious risk of flipping it even sooner if they keep acting like fucking idiots.

A rational GOP in Texas would be looking at flipping all of these younger voters and out-of-staters over to the GOP.

The GOP isn't rational, and instead, they are going to make it as difficult as possible to vote for a lot of people, and that's going to serve two purposes - turn these people permanently off to the GOP, and motivate people to get out and vote.

Our district is Rep Flores and the Republican field is getting crowded (maybe 4-6?) even without Sessions. I think the Democratic side has two candidates. When Flores ran for the first time, he did a lot of door to door. Got elected and disappeared. Hosted telephone town halls that pre screened calls not only to weed out cranks, but also legitimate constituents’ concerns. 

If any candidate hits up our house again this go round, I’m going to see if I can record the conversation. I have some questions I want answered. 

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Grammar

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

The Texas GOP is causing the flip.

And they are too fucking stupid to realize it.

There are plenty of minorities who share some views that should make them feel at home in the GOP.  And plenty of them are of the right age  (olds) that the Rs should have been able to make them feel vulnerable and scare them into thinking that the Democrats were going to take this or that or away from them.

Hell, my sister-in-law's parents should be easy pickings for the GOP - Both pushing 70, old-school Catholic, Hispanic, some of the most conservative people I know (up there with my relatives in Oklahoma and Arkansas), to the point of not trusting banks, the government, etc.  They both voted for George W (and I know her dad did not care for Ann Richards).   Their family roots run back to before Austin and his merry band of colonists showed up.  And her uncle is retired military and lives in San Antonio and worked as a military contractor for another 20 years.

But there is no way in hell the Rs will ever get them back, and like I said, they are making no effort to attract the younger voters who are going to soon make up the majority of voters.   The damage has been done.  The Texas GOP and various Republicans in leadership positions (Cruz, etc.) were a bunch of dumbfucks and let themselves be defined by Trump.

Their incompetence is only rivaled by Democrats in Texas.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I’m not sure why some of you expect people to be “permanently” turned off to the GOP.

W had an approval rating in the low 20s on Obama’s Inauguration Day.  The Republicans had ruled over a decade that included the worst terrorist attack in modern history, a bungled war that turned into a quagmire, a natural disaster that rendered a great American city unlivable for months, and the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression.

After Obama got the car back onto the road, our country promptly and eagerly handed the keys right back to the GOP. They won the House in 2010, the Senate in 2014, and rounded it out with the trifecta in 2016.

Remember, Bush left office with an approval rating 15 points lower than Trump’s has ever been.  Maybe this administration will turn people permanently away from the Republican Party.  But I’m not expecting it this time.

spacer.png

• Like 8

I’m not sure why some of you expect people to be “permanently” turned off to the GOP.
W had an approval rating in the low 20s on Obama’s Inauguration Day.  The Republicans had ruled over a decade that included the worst terrorist attack in modern history, a bungled war that turned into a quagmire, a natural disaster that rendered a great American city unlivable for months, and the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression.
After Obama got the car back onto the road, our country promptly and eagerly handed the keys right back to the GOP. They won the House in 2010, the Senate in 2014, and rounded it out with the trifecta in 2016.
Remember, Bush left office with an approval rating 15 points lower than Trump’s has ever been.  Maybe this administration will turn people permanently away from the Republican Party.  But I’m not expecting it this time.
 fool-george-w-bush-2.jpg

I think we’ve learned our lesson. Don’t elect a black guy again. That REALLY sent them over the edge. And I’m sorta kinda being serious. I truly had no idea that simply electing a black guy was going to make half the country utterly lose its shit and go all-in in hate and white nationalism.
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Welch said:

spacer.png

I don't expect it at all.  That's what a smart populace would do: permanently turn against an entire party of traitors, liars, propaganda peddlers, and just plain evil motherfuckers.  

We are not a smart populace.  

ETA: they are also immature and childish

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Welch said:

spacer.png

Times change my man. You are not realizing the effect this administration is having, in my humble opinion.

People turned on Bush because they quite correctly realized the harm his policies had caused them personally. We were about to go into a Great Depression again, but the federal reserve, which back in the 30’s caused the depression itself, had learned that lesson and instead, we just got the Great Recession instead along with a decade of just getting by. Still going on. 

What is happening now is different. It’s not about the economy, its about where the country is heading. The sought for shining on the hill or the eliminating of the light. And at least a majority of people realize the harm that this administration is causing this country.

The people who currently support the Republican Party are either old, and will eventually die off, or are young and are a radical minority that can only win control by essentially eliminating democracy in the name of white supremacy. 

I don’t think they will win. But trump is an initial first challenge to that. For the sake of the country, it is essential that he loses one way or the other. If not, we just lost to the faux proletarian fascists abyss, which just so happens to what we fought WW2 about. 

Unlike Briskett, I still believe that Rome is the light. And won’t be extinguished, at least in my lifetime anyway.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Shitty jokes are what I personally strive for when I post on this site. I guess as long as I amuse at least myself I’m happy. Or if I can at least troll the trolls a little bit. 

It's always the ones you think are for sure going to kill too.  And nothing.  Then I end up getting a ton of rep for a throwaway comment.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's always the ones you think are for sure going to kill too.  And nothing.  Then I end up getting a ton of rep for a throwaway comment.

I consider this site to be way more intelligent than the average internet site. Which simply means its like having a normal conversation with people in real life. That’s at least something though. 

The internet is the ultimate bathroom wall we grew up with with people you never knew or would ever know writing inane  bullshit on the walls. It was naive to think it would ever turn out to be anything otherwise different. It is what is it. But when it comes to the aggregate sites like Facebook, et al. It would behoove us to recognize that fact and deal with it accordingly. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I consider this site to be way more intelligent than the average internet site. Which simply means its like having a normal conversation with people in real life. That’s at least something though. 

The internet is the ultimate bathroom wall we grew up with with people you never knew or would ever know writing inane  bullshit on the walls. It was naive to think it would ever turn out to be anything otherwise different. It is what is it. But when it comes to the aggregate sites like Facebook, et al. It would behoove us to recognize that fact and deal with it accordingly. 

Sacha Baron Cohen's speech, crossposted from one of the other billion threads, should be required watching for all.  Especially Americans, but all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sacha Baron Cohen's speech, crossposted from one of the other billion threads, should be required watching for all.  Especially Americans, but all.

I am at the 4:33 mark when he references Alex Jones. I will watch the rest of this, but letting everyone know early on that that crackpot is a joke is good. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

True, but the internet is also the ultimate library and the ultimate educator and the ultimate chronicle of works of art and inspired poetry. It is us and it always was going to be us. My own social media has been a source of profound revelations for me.  Just today, I got an email from an 87 year-old retired English teacher in the Texas Panhandle. She traced her family's entire multi-generational history for me. Her father was one of the guides who guided President Teddy Roosevelt on wolf hunts on the 6666 Ranch.  She's not quite a shut-in but she can't drive and pretty much the only person she sees is her daughter who comes to visit, take her to the grocery store etc...  She found a long-lost cousin on one of my threads and has started a correspondence with him that has enriched her life.  At the end she said she couldn't thank me enough, that I have no idea what my works to a lonely old Texas lady, and that if I ever visit Lockney please stop and see her and she'll make me lunch.  It put a lump in my throat.

In short, like every other thing man has ever invented, the internet is neither good nor bad. It's what we  do with it that determines whether it's being used for good or bad in that moment.

You have to go visit that woman. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am at the 4:33 mark when he references Alex Jones. I will watch the rest of this, but letting everyone know early on that that crackpot is a joke is good. 

its a great video. it lays out the obvious problem that business that monetize views/shares/likes will perpetuate the dark side of humanity. We have sensors elsewhere and we don't for facebook etc. its a very difficult conversation to have and it will get people up in arms re: free speech. and for the record i don't know if SBC is right or wrong, but I do agree that this is the biggest crisis facing western society. the platform is so much more important than any one actual story

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Welch said:

Most of the country didn't think George W. was a "bad" person. Most of the country thinks Trump is a horrible, immoral piece of shit. Most of the country is extremely uncomfortable with having him in the Oval Office. And the Republicans have shown that they'll support him no matter what. They will lie, distort, ignore, and spin 100% of the time.

These last three years have taught people a lesson they'll remember in their bones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bookman said:

Most of the country didn't think George W. was a "bad" person. Most of the country thinks Trump is a horrible, immoral piece of shit. Most of the country is extremely uncomfortable with having him in the Oval Office. And the Republicans have shown that they'll support him no matter what. They will lie, distort, ignore, and spin 100% of the time.

These last three years have taught people a lesson they'll remember in their bones.

The problem is that half the country seems to love him.  That's a real problem and won't just disappear when he's out of office.

This is the most fractured the US has been since the Civil Rights / Vietnam era.  It's going to take decades to recover...if we ever do...and it's all because we had the gall to elect a black president.  

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The problem is that half the country seems to love him.  That's a real problem and won't just disappear when he's out of office.

This is the most fractured the US has been since the Civil Rights / Vietnam era.  It's going to take decades to recover...if we ever do...and it's all because we had the gall to elect a black president.  

A black president who seems, by all accounts, to have had and continues to have a happy home life. That has to sting.

The polls prior to Fiona Hill? She has been zooming up the twitter trends. What is going to scare the crap out of some of the GOP is I am (unscientifically) noticing a lot of white suburban women retweeting her on nonbot accounts.   She was a solid fact witness and her and Holmes together may not adjust the polls overnight. You have to get some momentum: put that stuff on blast Democrats. 

It is not half. The electoral college and the supreme court along with aggressive voter suppression is the reason we arrive close to 50/50.

We have allowed this and propaganda to fester and create the appearance of a 50-50 split. The media shifting to infotainment formats and trying to combat the myth of liberal media by giving the other sides lies a place is also a problem.

Well that’s like my opinion man.
  • Like 6

The polls prior to Fiona Hill? She has been zooming up the twitter trends. What is going to scare the crap out of some of the GOP is I am (unscientifically) noticing a lot of white suburban women retweeting her on nonbot accounts.   She was a solid fact witness and her and Holmes together may not adjust the polls overnight. You have to get some momentum: put that stuff on blast Democrats. 

Democratic leadership is like watching Tom Herman’s team with a lead.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

^True, so true. 

I’m on my phone so I will seek the post out and give rep/credit due later today-whoever mentioned short hashtags and soundbites- - you were on the money. Am seeing #QuitBroGo going through the sphere. MoscowMitch was inspired, but they’ve had a harder time getting anything to stick to Trump. 

Since I don't have an account, I have to go to various places to try and suss out Twitter trends.

Besides Trump (who is always up there, obviously), Bolton and Nunes are getting a lot of play.

#DevinNunesGotCaught was up there, but has been dropping. Same with #DirtyDevin.

#PompeoResign has gone up and down but is trending back downward. The paper dump probably didn't hold people's attention.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

It is not half. The electoral college and the supreme court along with aggressive voter suppression is the reason we arrive close to 50/50.

We have allowed this and propaganda to fester and create the appearance of a 50-50 split. The media shifting to infotainment formats and trying to combat the myth of liberal media by giving the other sides lies a place is also a problem.

Well that’s like my opinion man.

Go to foxnews.com right now and see what Trump voters see about current events. If that is your only source of "news," and you consider yourself conservative, then you are going to vote Trump. You would never even know that Trump has ever done anything bad. You wouldn't have even seen a full video of a Trump speech because all the ones you have seen are edited so he doesn't seem like a complete dumbass. 

Trump's real hardcore supporters are probably around 20% of the populace. They know he is dirty, and either want him to be dirty, or don't care so long as he gives them their white supremacist agenda. They are never going to turn. But you could turn about half his voters if you could get a message to them at all in their Fox prison. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DixonHur said:

It was much worse during the 60s. We'll be OK.

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It was much worse during the 60s. We'll be OK.

This.  We don't have tens and hundreds of thousands of folks in the streets burning draft cards (automatic felony) or fleeing to another country, we don't have millions marching against being drafted and sent off to war, we don't have people marching up to soldiers who have their bayonets fixed.

We don't even have a single troop of Rascal scooters rolling along at 3mph towards the Pentagon to show support for Eddie Gallagher.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Meh, tired of furrowed brows.  He will bow down like the rest

If they were going to bow down, things wouldn't have reached the point where they are daring Trump to fire them.

And Sec. Navy maybe a political appointee and donor, but he was also a Marine.  The SEALs have had way too many problems lately, and a bunch of shit has happened on his watch.  Toss in that the top Admiral over the SEALs is willing to end his career over this too, and you've got some DOD folks who are tired of Trump's shit.

• Like 1