2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Cal needs to be making as many inroads as possible to get Lincoln Riley and Dave Aranda sewn up before Week 17.

Is this a joke. I'll eat my own vomit if Lincoln Riley coaches this team. 

Edited by ztejas

Houston is one of the best football cities in the country with a sophisticated fan base. It is a curse that we have had NFL teams that are on par with Detroit in being the least successful team in the league sharing a state with a team up north that is a NFL blue blood with 5 Super Bowl trophies.

We could see with our own eyes that that team last year was extremely lucky with both the schedule and turnover differential and that it was not going to do jack shit in the playoffs despite winning 11 games. This team had a terrible draft and free agency and didn’t fill glaring holes. We are the laughingstock of the NFL with a drunk, moron of an owner who fits the moniker of “Cletus” perfectly. I have never seen this city as pissed off, disinterested and ready to revolt against this garbage team that unfortunately plays in our town. It’s pathetic that what I am hoping for is a midseason firing of buttchin because there is no hope we will do any damage in the playoffs if we are able to squeak in. Houston needs to show what we really think of this franchise by booing the shit out of them when they suck at home, not buying tickets and merch and burning up the phone lines, sports talk, social media, etc tearing Cletus and buttchin a new asshole every day.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Houston is one of the best football cities in the country with a sophisticated fan base. It is a curse that we have had NFL teams that are on par with Detroit in being the least successful team in the league sharing a state with a team up north that is a NFL blue blood with 5 Super Bowl trophies.

We could see with our own eyes that that team last year was extremely lucky with both the schedule and turnover differential and that it was not going to do jack shit in the playoffs despite winning 11 games. This team had a terrible draft and free agency and didn’t fill glaring holes. We are the laughingstock of the NFL with a drunk, moron of an owner who fits the moniker of “Cletus” perfectly. I have never seen this city as pissed off, disinterested and ready to revolt against this garbage team that unfortunately plays in our town. It’s pathetic that what I am hoping for is a midseason firing of buttchin because there is no hope we will do any damage in the playoffs if we are able to squeak in. Houston needs to show what we really think of this franchise by booing the shit out of them when they suck at home, not buying tickets and merch and burning up the phone lines, sports talk, social media, etc tearing Cletus and buttchin a new asshole every day.

The problem is that there is no guarantee that Cal has any idea what the fuck he is doing. He needs to sell the team and a real restart of the organization can maybe begin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My advice:

pay the Adams whatever the fuck they want to get the Oilers name back.  They can keep records.  We get name and uniforms.  

Profit.  

I have a hard time getting into the Texans. Just has never felt like Houston. The Oilers did.  

Or steal the Roughnecks name and logo when the XFL folds, insert Columbia blue jerseys and white helmets. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What a rant.

I'm worried you don't beleive in our Lord and Savior Deshaun Watson.

I’m 42. I grew up on the Oilers.  My earliest memory, and I was two, was the MNF game where Earl had that long run against Miami.  I don’t remember that play.  But I remember my mom telling me that my dad and uncle were at the game we were watching on TV. 

But really the Warren Moon Oilers were my team.  Our family had a suite on the 50 and went to every damn game.  The 93 loss to KC hurt me almost as much as sitting in the Rose Bowl against Alabama.  That 93 team had the defense to go toe to toe with the Cowboys juggernaut. IMO.  

Houston should have the Oilers.  Won’t happen. But should.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I kind of get a lot of the comments in this thread but we still have one of the best QBs in the league. That outweighs a lot of piss poor management (also makes it easier for BoB to keep his job, so there's that).

The cowboys pissed away the tony room years, Texans are doing the same with DW 

Edited by tx 3 putt

52 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My advice:

pay the Adams whatever the fuck they want to get the Oilers name back.  They can keep records.  We get name and uniforms.  

Profit.  

I have a hard time getting into the Texans. Just has never felt like Houston. The Oilers did.  

This, exactly. We are the same age. I find it difficult to get that into a team that didn't exist when I was a kid.

It is admittedly irrational, but if everything was the same except they wore Columbia blue and were called "Oilers," I'd love the team. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

Uh . . . in high school in Texas you're allowed one intersquad scrimmage and 2 against other schools before the regular season.

But none of those scrimmages are full on games. There’s usually a controlled portion & a live portion, and they end up taking about half the time of a real game. NFL could use the same format & people would still tune in.

42 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m 42. I grew up on the Oilers.  My earliest memory, and I was two, was the MNF game where Earl had that long run against Miami.  I don’t remember that play.  But I remember my mom telling me that my dad and uncle were at the game we were watching on TV. 

But really the Warren Moon Oilers were my team.  Our family had a suite on the 50 and went to every damn game.  The 93 loss to KC hurt me almost as much as sitting in the Rose Bowl against Alabama.  That 93 team had the defense to go toe to toe with the Cowboys juggernaut. IMO.  

Houston should have the Oilers.  Won’t happen. But should.  

Great post. Feel exactly the same as you and am around your age, The Oilers were my first love growing up. Our season tickets were good but not as good as y’all’s suite on the 50. I miss the Oilers so much. Like the Astros, they embodied Htown.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

it's a testament to how shitty the AFC South is that the Texans are now the favorite to win the division.

So rinse and repeat... win a crappy division and promptly get bounced from the playoffs. So much winning. 

I think Jax will win it

Sucks that we have Hopkins and Watson and pretty good talent wasting away because of the oline. This is the prime window to be winning and we are wasting it with Bob in charge. Somehow they will do just enough to keep me somewhat onboard though.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:58 PM, Johnny Sack said:

My advice:

Profit.  

The marketing people say a bull sells... They gonna keep having this shitty team name, basic bitch corches and ruin a bunch of would-be hall of famers like Andre Johnson. Patriots lite? Lulz just because you hire a couple of dipshits that carried Bellichecks clipboard doesn't mean you will become the Patriots. JJ Watt and Hopkins are the next Andre Johnson's, could've been great, but played for the most poorly managed team. Seriously, the Jags, Titans, and Colts are in the division, what the fuck.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, Updawg said:

I think Jax will win it

Sucks that we have Hopkins and Watson and pretty good talent wasting away because of the oline. This is the prime window to be winning and we are wasting it with Bob in charge. Somehow they will do just enough to keep me somewhat onboard though.

I probably should care.  But I don’t.  My nfl Houston passion died when KC beat the Oilers in 1993 and Bud disassembled the team.   That 93 team had a decent chance to beat the Cowboys.   

• Like 2

Look, I grew up in SA where I could be both a fan of the Cowboys and Oilers. I always cheered for the Oilers unless they were playing the Cowboys. I was broken hearted in both 92 and 93 when the Oilers didn’t make it to the SB because I would love nothing more than to see an all Texas SB. Those Oilers weren’t beating the Cowboys.

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Look, I grew up in SA where I could be both a fan of the Cowboys and Oilers. I always cheered for the Oilers unless they were playing the Cowboys. I was broken hearted in both 92 and 93 when the Oilers didn’t make it to the SB because I would love nothing more than to see an all Texas SB. Those Oilers weren’t beating the Cowboys.

That 93 team with Buddy Ryan’s defense had more than a puncher’s chance at taking down the Cowboys.   They were damn, damn good.  Forcing turnovers and shutting down offenses.  I’d still bet on Cowboys, but that wasn’t some sure thing in a one game for the marbles.  The Oilers matched up really well with Dallas that year.  

• Like 1

And yet somehow lost to the Chiefs at home. I loved the Oilers. My first NFL game was as a 9 year old during Earl’s rookie season against the Bengals. I walked I got the Astrodome and was in awe for the next 4 hours. I bought the Houston Oilers #1 45 so I could play it on my record player when I got home. I loved the Oilers, but there was no chance they were beating the Cowboys of those years. Like it or not, the Cowboys of 92 and 93 are amongst the greatest teams of all time. The Oilers would not have beaten them....now back to the Texans and why they can’t pull off trades line the Patriots did today to shore up their OL.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

I could be incorrect, but I don’t believe the issue of what happens after an unsigned franchise tags was ever adjudicated. When a player gets tagged, they get one year guaranteed at the average of the top 5 current salaries at their permission. If a team tags them again the next year, it goes up X%, and then Y% the third year (see Kirk Cousins). When Leveon Bell refused to sign his 2nd franchise tag last year, there was a lot of argument between the NFLPA saying that if Pittsburgh franchised him again, it would progress to the next year’s franchise level even though he never signed or played on the Year 2 franchise tag. NFL people (and logic) said if he never signed and honored the Year 2 franchise (and the large pay bump it included), he is still on Year 2 whenever he finally decides to sign. Bell’s camp was going to push for a Year 3 level salary if the Steelers did it. In the end, Pittsburgh either decided to part ways due to the drama/bad feelings, or felt happy with the value Connor gave them at RB and thought Bell wasn’t worth the money to them regardless if it was Year 2 or Year 3 price. Bell got his new contract with NYJ.

I bring it up because Clowney seems like the lazy punk type that would sit out this year without ever signing a tag and then think he’s entitled to Year 2 franchise money (that he knows Houston wouldn’t/couldn’t pay, making him a free agent). The NFL and NFLPA created the franchise tag to protect teams from having their superstars jump ship, and protected the players by giving them a guaranteed salary as the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player at their position. To me it is bullshit for players to think they can sit on the couch and get a significant raise. If you don’t sign, you are still on the previous year, buddy. That’s like if a player on contract isn’t happy with his pay, and decides to sit out or “retire” for a year and comes back thinking they are a year deeper into their contract. Nope, you resume on your contract right where you were when you quit. I don’t see why the franchise tag should be different. 

22 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I bring it up because Clowney seems like the lazy punk type 

This is hardly unique to you, but where does this idea come from?  He plays with a very high motor and his only off-the-field controversy in 5 years was getting bit by DJ Swearinger's dog.  He's never come into camp out of shape, never complains to the media, and hasn't missed more than 3 games since his rookie year.  Can't remember another player whose public perception is further from reality.

• Like 3

Clowney is a hell of a player who takes some plays off. That being said, he's easily a pro bowl player and BOB and Cal completely screwed up the situation. Now the team has no leverage and they won't get anything near value for a player of Clowney's caliber. Not only that, but his absence will expose the mediocrity of the DL, regardless of what the team calls him, he's a lineman. Teams will double or triple JJ and the rest of the line will do nothing to pressure the QB. He's a real loss and while the OL is trash, DW's career will be cut short or he'll be ineffective and fans will blame him. A total cluster by the team, and I find it hard to believe they're the favorites for the South. I think the Jags win the division easily.

• Like 1

Clowney is one of the best run defenders in the game, no he isn't the pass rusher everyone had hoped but he is worth the money. This franchise as a whole is just very meh, meh uniforms, meh coaches/ownership, meh fanbase, meh team name. They are the corn flakes of the NFL, no they aren't terrible, but nothing about them is exactly exciting, except for the bit of sugar poured on them (Watt, Nuk, Deshaun).

• Like 1

Dude isn't going to sit out the season and miss out on $15M.  He is going to sign, and then he is going to either play his ass off for the Texans in effort to get a payday/get a contender willing to trade for him or he will immediately be traded at the Texans discretion. Clowney has zero leverage in the situation, unless he is willing to forgo $15M, which I do not believe he is.  That is the reason he fired his agent.

29 minutes ago, Fico said:

Dude isn't going to sit out the season and miss out on $15M.  He is going to sign, and then he is going to either play his ass off for the Texans in effort to get a payday/get a contender willing to trade for him or he will immediately be traded at the Texans discretion. Clowney has zero leverage in the situation, unless he is willing to forgo $15M, which I do not believe he is.  That is the reason he fired his agent.

That's why this is a lose-lose for everyone. JC might miss a couple of games but probably won't be in aerobic football shape for a few weeks and the team won't get anything of near value for him. I put the onus squarely on the team management.

16 minutes ago, msbesq said:

That's why this is a lose-lose for everyone. JC might miss a couple of games but probably won't be in aerobic football shape for a few weeks and the team won't get anything of near value for him. I put the onus squarely on the team management.

I mean that is part of the NFL these days. A hold out is a hold out.  If he hasn't been keeping himself in shape then he is costing himself millions of dollars with regards to a new contract from us or anyone else.

I would have liked it to be solved prior to the season as well, but it is a tough situation.  You have a player who thinks he should be compensated as top DL in the league, a team that doesn't agree and league that is well aware and likely doesn't agree, except for some teams that Clowney does not want to play for.

If we do not get OL help or draft picks out of the any deal, then that is a major fail.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is hardly unique to you, but where does this idea come from?  He plays with a very high motor and his only off-the-field controversy in 5 years was getting bit by DJ Swearinger's dog.  He's never come into camp out of shape, never complains to the media, and hasn't missed more than 3 games since his rookie year.  Can't remember another player whose public perception is further from reality.

I think I was biased when he took off his entire junior year at USC with the assumption he would go #1 after physically dominating the NC State’s and James Madison’s of the world for two seasons. He was supposed to be a better version of Julius Peppers and Bruce Smith. He came in rough and got hurt early, which created a perception he is always injured. That said, I’ve never seen him impact a meaningful game by destroying a QB or at least staying in the QB’s personal space during the 4th quarter of tight games. He plays good run defense on a D-line with Watt and Mercilus, but takes plays off. He gets below average to average pass rush stats, mostly in junk time or against shit teams. How about you rip off Brady, Alex Smith, or Andrew Luck’s fucking arms a couple times and make a game winning play or two before demanding to be the highest paid DE (LB?) in the league. 

^^Clowney is a good player no doubt.  There is a series of plays in our game against the Eagles last year were he single handily kicked the ass of their entire offense.  I believe he is also 3rd in TFL over the last 3 years.  He can be a game wrecker, he just doesn't do it conventionally which causes problems when contract negotiations come up.

Add to that, he has had micro-fracture surgery and probably only has a set number of plays left before his knee is bone on bone.

Edited by Fico
  • Like 2

I could be incorrect, but I don’t believe the issue of what happens after an unsigned franchise tags was ever adjudicated. When a player gets tagged, they get one year guaranteed at the average of the top 5 current salaries at their permission. If a team tags them again the next year, it goes up X%, and then Y% the third year (see Kirk Cousins). When Leveon Bell refused to sign his 2nd franchise tag last year, there was a lot of argument between the NFLPA saying that if Pittsburgh franchised him again, it would progress to the next year’s franchise level even though he never signed or played on the Year 2 franchise tag. NFL people (and logic) said if he never signed and honored the Year 2 franchise (and the large pay bump it included), he is still on Year 2 whenever he finally decides to sign. Bell’s camp was going to push for a Year 3 level salary if the Steelers did it. In the end, Pittsburgh either decided to part ways due to the drama/bad feelings, or felt happy with the value Connor gave them at RB and thought Bell wasn’t worth the money to them regardless if it was Year 2 or Year 3 price. Bell got his new contract with NYJ.
I bring it up because Clowney seems like the lazy punk type that would sit out this year without ever signing a tag and then think he’s entitled to Year 2 franchise money (that he knows Houston wouldn’t/couldn’t pay, making him a free agent). The NFL and NFLPA created the franchise tag to protect teams from having their superstars jump ship, and protected the players by giving them a guaranteed salary as the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player at their position. To me it is bullshit for players to think they can sit on the couch and get a significant raise. If you don’t sign, you are still on the previous year, buddy. That’s like if a player on contract isn’t happy with his pay, and decides to sit out or “retire” for a year and comes back thinking they are a year deeper into their contract. Nope, you resume on your contract right where you were when you quit. I don’t see why the franchise tag should be different. 

He's a lazy punk for trying to get a meaningful contract extension with lots of guaranteed money so he can solidify his personal financial future and insure himself in the event he gets a career ending injury? Hahaha, go fuck yourself.

The only selfish person here is you for wanting a guy to play on a 1 year contract that was forced upon him so he can entertain you. Neither JC nor Bell need a 1 year deal, they have already proven their worth, just like every other player that gets tagged. The players know they are worth max money and many aren't willing to risk that to play for one season on a team that isn't negotiating in good faith. These guys would be jeopardizing nearly 9 figure deals for that one season.

No player should ever sign the tag deal, they should all hold out and force a change in the next CBA. The F tag needs to go, it only benefits the team owner and is the most anti-capitalist rule in sports. These guys put in 4 years of work to become free agents, capitalize on their accomplishments and choose where they want to play, then they get hit with a contract worth 1/5 of what they would get otherwise and have to stay with a team/city they may hate. Bad teams need to fail, they shouldn't be protected like this. If their stars constantly jump ship, then they need to change their culture, business or ownership.
  • Like 1

I never get the anger from sports fans because a player wants to get paid what they’re worth on the open market. It actually says more about the person that gets angry over it.

31 NFL teams would pay Clowney more than 16m to play for them. But instead he’s “forced” to play for the one team that policy dictates they can pay less.  Add the fact that contracts are not guaranteed, I don’t understand why nfl players haven’t walked out. 

The players only need 100 of their own to agree to strike the day of the super bowl. Or actually only enough players to shut down 1 of the 2 teams. The owners would be pissed but they can’t allow anything to mess with the SB. It would impact future SB revenue as well.

Of course the nfl and football in general strongly pushback on individual thought or anything labeled as anti team. And the team not being the players but the coaches, owners and mgmt. players that would lead strike efforts strangely get cut along the way.