The Knights of Columbus are racist, homophobic bigots, etc

Parliament

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Where did she say she doesn't want them for federal judges? Or that they are racist or homophobic or bigots?

She asked a number of questions regarding how, as a judge, he would approach issues where the Knights of Columbus have expressed a position, particularly in regards to same-sex marriage and reproductive rights, two issues where the Knights of Columbus have taken positions that are contrary to the law.

Which of her questions exactly do you find unreasonable?

All of that is perfectly reasonable, but you're forgetting that she's an uppity black woman and Parliament just can't have that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DanRydell said:

Where did she say she doesn't want them for federal judges? Or that they are racist or homophobic or bigots?

She asked a number of questions regarding how, as a judge, he would approach issues where the Knights of Columbus have expressed a position, particularly in regards to same-sex marriage and reproductive rights, two issues where the Knights of Columbus have taken positions that are contrary to the law.

Which of her questions exactly do you find unreasonable?

I find asking if a prospective judge would resign from the Knights of Columbus if confirmed to be pretty unreasonable.

(That’s not an endorsement of the pointlessly incendiary thread title.)

8 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I find asking if a prospective judge would resign from the Knights of Columbus if confirmed to be pretty unreasonable.

(That’s not an endorsement of the pointlessly incendiary thread title.)

(C) Nondiscriminatory Membership. A judge should not hold membership in any organization that practices invidious discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin

https://www.uscourts.gov/judges-judgeships/code-conduct-united-states-judges

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

And you think it’s unreasonable to ask a nominee who belongs to a group that discriminates on the bases of sex and religion whether he believes membership in that group violates that canon?

I did not say that. I said asking him if he would resign if confirmed is unreasonable.

This editorial pretty much sums it up, in my opinion.

But as Buescher explained to Sen. Hirono, fears that membership in such organizations compromise the independence of a potential judge bely the reality that the Knights of Columbus simply “does not have the authority to take personal political positions on behalf of all of its approximately two million members.” He assured the senators that, if confirmed, his decision-making would be shaped by the Code of Conduct for United States Judges and by his oath of office, not by any “policies or positions” taken by the Knights of Columbus.

This explanation should be sufficient.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/outlook/2019/01/03/senators-shouldnt-be-afraid-knights-columbus/

Edited by formermav43

Lots of rural Texan teens and utes drifted from KC hall to KC hall back in the day.   Every Saturday night, following People's Choice in central TX.  Lots of their fundraising was made off those dances and beer sales.

But yeah, if this guy can't be impartial and set aside his religious beliefs, then he doesn't need to take the bench.

Aside from his affiliation with the knights, Democratic lawmakers questioned Buescher about his unsuccessful bid for Nebraska attorney general. During the campaign he described himself as “an avidly pro-life person” and vowed to resist overreaching federal regulations.

I won a Knights of Columbus free-throw shooting contest in elementary school.  I always wondered what the hell they were. Back then I thought they had something to do with knights and  medieval shit and I wondered why they drove all the way to Austin from Columbus TX to have that contest.   I didn’t learn they were some kind a church organization until about today. 

What’s the difference between K of C, Elks, Masons and all those other weirdos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Lots of rural Texan teens and utes drifted from KC hall to KC hall back in the day.   Every Saturday night, following People's Choice in central TX.  Lots of their fundraising was made off those dances and beer sales.

But yeah, if this guy can't be impartial and set aside his religious beliefs, then he doesn't need to take the bench.

In my day it was Jef and the Kickers (my FIL was in that band) and The Emotions.   Columbus KC hall, Swiss Alp, Silver Wings etc.   

To be fair, the Knights of Columbus are no longer a rampantly racist/bigoted group.  

But yeah, you'd be hard pressed to show me a chapter that isn't vehemently homophobic.  

I won a Knights of Columbus free-throw shooting contest in elementary school.  I always wondered what the hell they were. Back then I thought they had something to do with knights and  medieval shit and I wondered why they drove all the way to Austin from Columbus TX to have that contest.   I didn’t learn they were some kind a church organization until about today. 

I'm really high but this made me laugh really hard
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

A lot of these organizations exist to provide voluntary services for the community. I think that is a really good thing for society and something that should be encouraged. As far as I know each organization has a different mission and tends to focus on a particular set of issues.

Someone once tried to get me to join the Lions Club once but I was turned off by the ease of joining. I'm still waiting for a secret invite to join the illuminati. I prefer exclusivity in my organizations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

A lot of these organizations exist to provide voluntary services for the community. I think that is a really good thing for society and something that should be encouraged. As far as I know each organization has a different mission and tends to focus on a particular set of issues.

Someone once tried to get me to join the Lions Club once but I was turned off by the ease of joining. I'm still waiting for a secret invite to join the illuminati. I prefer exclusivity in my organizations.

they exist solely for guys to have an excuse to be away from their wives and drink beer with their buddies

• Like 1

KoC is just a Catholic fraternal social/service organization. (Both my grandfathers were knights and I know several between 30 and 80 years old, I can’t say definitively if being a practicing Catholic is still a requirement in 2019, but I’d assume so)

Elks, Lions, Woodsman, Sons of Norway, various types of Masons, etc are all similar private fraternal orgs, but I couldn’t tell you their exclusivity or “lodge” requirements.

In North America these lodges all kind of spun off from European craftsman guilds and the original Freemasons, but they took on various different functions not offered by the government or private business at the time. Depending on origin location
and membership make-up joining the right fraternity could mean; Loans and credit unions, Life insurance, burial & widow’s benefits, etc.

Catholics don’t need an excuse to drink. Boozing is a sacrament. At least they'll have a good casserole hookup. 

Asking someone to quit the men’s club of their church seems excessive and reeks of anti-religious bigotry, kind of like those dog whistles we hear so much about. Should we require them to leave religions that hold unpopular opinions or is making the hash browns for the church breakfast the line we’re drawing? The other stuff from his run for office seems like fair game to me.

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

Catholics don’t need an excuse to drink. Boozing is a sacrament. At least they'll have a good casserole hookup. 

Asking someone to quit the men’s club of their church seems excessive and reeks of anti-religious bigotry, kind of like those dog whistles we hear so much about. Should we require them to leave religions that hold unpopular opinions or is making the hash browns for the church breakfast the line we’re drawing? The other stuff from his run for office seems like fair game to me.

Tell that to Obama

• Like 1

Just now, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Unfortunately, there’s also a lot of discussion about raising money to pay settlements for Catholic priests sexing children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine, I'll start my own fraternal, charity, drinking club. With blackjack...and hookers!

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

They may be racists, homophobes, and bigots but their pool in Lake Highlands is pretty kickass.

Old one, or new one, or both.

Never went to the old one (wasn't it close to where the White Rock Dart Station is?  Kids were in swim team at new one.  That place was always so jam packed.