Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

10 hours ago, EastHorn said:

Story is crazy that Bond didn't even wait to talk to DeBoer before bolting.  

24 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Why is it crazy? Bond came out and said his motivation to bounce was 100% business. DeBoer at Bama is a complete unknown and Sarkisian at Texas is ideal for Bond. 

I think it’s as much Ewers vs. Milroe than DeBoer is or isn’t worth staying for. Gotta learn a new system now matter what. Who is the surest bet next year for a WR all things considered? QB room stocked, WR room on its way with room at #1 for you., system is pro style, a team already competing at a high level, in the SEC?  Texas is a huge opportunity for him, way safer than Alabama and Milroe. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Still expecting William Inge to come along to coach LBs.  Gonna be interesting to see if Chuck Morrell is willing to move to the southeast or maybe DeBoer realizes he has to upgrade that coaching position.    

Two more added from Wash staff:

• OL   Scott Huff
  • TE    Nick Sheridan

Still no Inge or Chuck Morrell...

Bama fans frustrated that Saban waited till Jan 10th to announce retirement... 

DeBoer not having many valuable players available from Washington to transfer does hurt a little.  Might still be at least 1 CB and 1 OL from the Huskies that transfers to Bama.  

Arizona roster is now also available for next 30 days if Bama wants to go after a few more transfer players.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

DeBoer not having many valuable players available from Washington to transfer does hurt a little.  Might still be at least 1 CB and 1 OL from the Huskies that transfers to Bama.  

Arizona roster is now also available for next 30 days if Bama wants to go after a few more transfer players.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keef said:

The rules are objectively nonsensical and a huge mess.  Maybe now that it happened to Alabama the NCAA will be spurred into doing something about it.

Rhe rules aren’t nonsense. They are an intentional choice because of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that came from the “won’t somebody please think of the children” crowd that essentially demanded freedom of movement for anyone who lost their coach. This is merely the absolutely foreseeable consequence of that decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Rhe rules aren’t nonsense. They are an intentional choice because of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that came from the “won’t somebody please think of the children” crowd that essentially demanded freedom of movement for anyone who lost their coach. This is merely the absolutely foreseeable consequence of that decision. 

I think the rules committee came up with this at their Christmas White Elephant Party....

On 1/16/2024 at 3:50 AM, LTtxfan said:

Just picked up a DB coach/recruiter...

Report: Alabama adding Buffalo head coach Maurice Linguist to DeBoer’s staff

Story by Nick Alvarez

Alabama football is losing one of the greatest head coaches of all time, Nick Saban. His successor, Kalen DeBoer, sought head coaching experience and SEC ties when building out his staff in Tuscaloosa.

In the last 24 hours, DeBoer has reportedly taken another dip into the Group of 5 schools to find an ideal candidate. Maurice Linguist, the current head coach at the University of Buffalo, is expected to join DeBoer, likely as a defensive backs coach, per ESPN’s Chris Low and Adam Rittenberg.

Linguist, 39, will join defensive coordinator Kane Wommack, who confirmed his hire to AL.com on Tuesday morning and Freddie Roach, who is reportedly staying at UA as defensive line coach.

Linguist, a former safety at Baylor, worked as a graduate assistant with the Bears in 2007. He had stops at James Madison, Valdosta Stata, Iowa State and Minnesota, all leading defensive backs. Linguist has three years of SEC experience (Mississippi State and Texas A&M), in addition to one year with the Dallas Cowboys.

He was temporarily Michigan’s co-defensive coordinator following his season in the pros, but Buffalo came calling in May and Linguist accepted his first head coaching job. In three years with the Bulls, Linguist is 14-23 with a 2022 Camelia Bowl win over Georgia Southern.

Linguist is also known as an adept recruiter, helping A&M compile multiple top-five ranked classes in 2018 and 2019. Per 247Sports, Linguist is credited with multiple four-star commitments and one five-star, safety Jaylon Jones. Many of Linguist’s ties are in his home state of Texas but also throughout the South.

“I understand there needs to be some SEC ties, some southeast ties that can help bridge the gap of maybe my experiences here. There are experiences, having been West Coast and Indiana and some of the recruiting,” DeBoer told reporters on Saturday after his introduction. “But it’s not, I don’t want to lead you on that there’s not every coach’s phone number in my phone right now. Just gotta put myself where the right people are around me.

“I will say this, I wasn’t a West Coast guy, either. I’d never been to the West Coast until just a few years ago and coached at two universities out there. I think there’s an ability to adapt that I feel confident into where we’re at. I understand what the SEC is all about.”

His arrival not only gives a point of contact for star freshman safety Caleb Downs — who has yet to publicly comment on his future with the program — but a crucial start to rebuilding Alabama’s secondary.

Kool-Aid McKinstry and Terrion Arnold are set to be NFL Draft picks. Trey Amos, Kristian Story, Jake Pope, Antonio Kite, Dezz Ricks and Earl Little Jr. all entered the transfer portal. The exodus was followed by Travaris Robinson, who multiple outlets reported nearly returned to UA after an interview with DeBoer last weekend.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, BHMCruiser said:

I don't even know what tech is

It is short for technology. Technology is the application of science and knowledge to create tools to make specific jobs easier. Damned uneducated Ala...er, football fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/15/2024 at 7:56 AM, troph said:

I think it’s as much Ewers vs. Milroe than DeBoer is or isn’t worth staying for. Gotta learn a new system now matter what. Who is the surest bet next year for a WR all things considered? QB room stocked, WR room on its way with room at #1 for you., system is pro style, a team already competing at a high level, in the SEC?  Texas is a huge opportunity for him, way safer than Alabama and Milroe. 

I agree. I've seen Milroe a few times, he's not good if there is even a little bit of pocket pressure. If I can see that as an idiot arm chair fan, a top WR sure as shit can too. Not only that but he saw Ewers first hand himself. Granted, I think Ewers has some of the same issues Milroe has regarding pressure, but the variance between them is extremely clear. Easy choice for a motivated young man. Known issue, unknown coach vs a broadly accepted great offensive HC and a known QB with a lot fewer issues. Don't think that Mitchell's transfer and draft status uptick didn't factor in as I promise you it did.

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I agree. I've seen Milroe a few times, he's not good if there is even a little bit of pocket pressure. If I can see that as an idiot arm chair fan, a top WR sure as shit can too. Not only that but he saw Ewers first hand himself. Granted, I think Ewers has some of the same issues Milroe has regarding pressure, but the variance between them is extremely clear. Easy choice for a motivated young man. Known issue, unknown coach vs a broadly accepted great offensive HC and a known QB with a lot fewer issues. Don't think that Mitchell's transfer and draft status uptick didn't factor in as I promise you it did.

I think the fact that they couldn't/can't pull a decent portal QB because of lack of NIL and being stuck with Milroe for another year really convinced Nick to retire. That and the 4th down play call. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think the fact that they couldn't/can't pull a decent portal QB because of lack of NIL and being stuck with Milroe for another year really convinced Nick to retire. That and the 4th down play call. 

I don't think it was just the NIL issue on Milroe. Sure it played a factor but Saban knows the shenanigans game and beyond Milroe he knew the dark future of not being able to out spend everyone else and steam roll competition. So, he saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good. It was a smart move by him really.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

yeah AD's experience mattered for sure, heck I wouldn't be surprised if they talked dirctly about it.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 5:59 AM, LTtxfan said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

fuck em, they actually may be the worst fan base in america, you wouldn't know it until they start losing though. 348 SEC championships, 189 runner ups, 87 titles in 17 years, they can fuck off and eat dicks and lick rancid asshole. fuck em.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, troph said:

fuck em, they actually may be the worst fan base in america, you wouldn't know it until they start losing though. 348 SEC championships, 189 runner ups, 87 titles in 17 years, they can fuck off and eat dicks and lick rancid asshole. fuck em.

I agree first of all - but damn tell me how you really feel 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

16 hours ago, troph said:

Love you too troph

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Love you too troph

Muah. Nothing personal. Misery loves company and we were miserable for nearly 15 years. Sadly for us sadists DeBoer is a great coach and if he can recruit y'all will be fine.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

Misery loves company and we were miserable for nearly 15 years.

I wouldn't tie up that much of your emotional well being in teenagers chasing a ball around a field my friend. I lived through the wilderness for many, many years with Alabama, it was never really a thing. Just an annual "ah well, nevertheless."

I wouldn't say I was happy Saban retired, but it definitely makes it more interesting. I didn't even watch the last two Alabama championship appearances, it honestly got to the point where it was just oppressive.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

I wouldn't tie up that much of your emotional well being in teenagers chasing a ball around a field my friend. I lived through the wilderness for many, many years with Alabama, it was never really a thing. Just an annual "ah well, nevertheless."

I wouldn't say I was happy Saban retired, but it definitely makes it more interesting. I didn't even watch the last two Alabama championship appearances, it honestly got to the point where it was just oppressive.

I agree 100%. I actually enjoyed our desert time. I learned how to fly fish, scuba dive, and sail. I have half way found myself frustrated with winning because I felt compelled to pay attention. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 2

Just now, G650 said:

Damn right

I honestly don’t care who wins though I’d like Texas to win so I can share those travel experiences with my sons. The rest is message board nonsense - I mean I can’t really tell anyone to lick a rancid asshole IRL. So it all works out you see.

Does Alabama have a tax exempt NIL collective? I know Texas has one because we got non-profit status before the IRS stopped granting them to NIL collectives. Michigan does not have one because non-profit status was not approved before this. 

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Could you expand details a bit on this for idiots like me? 

I went to the IRS website to read about this issue. I’m hoping one of the lawyer types on this site chime in because that is a fucking complicated document. 
I understand the 501(c)3 angle, but there is no federal legislation, it is very confusing for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I went to the IRS website to read about this issue. I’m hoping one of the lawyer types on this site chime in because that is a fucking complicated document. 
I understand the 501(c)3 angle, but there is no federal legislation, it is very confusing for me.

Probably a new thread but thanks! I'd really like to understand it better.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:50 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

It wasn't "think of the children," it was the fact that these are adults whose freedom of movement was being illegally and nonsensically restricted. That was at roughly the same time everyone realized these are adults whose freedom to earn income was being illegally and nonsensically restricted.

Are you a coach who makes money? You can move somewhere else as often as you like. Are you a regular student? You can, too. Oh you play sports? No, you're stuck.

The system used to treat them like children. Now they have the same freedoms as other adults. Sucks to suck if you're not a very desirable destination.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It wasn't "think of the children," it was the fact that these are adults whose freedom of movement was being illegally and nonsensically restricted. That was at roughly the same time everyone realized these are adults whose freedom to earn income was being illegally and nonsensically restricted.

Are you a coach who makes money? You can move somewhere else as often as you like. Are you a regular student? You can, too. Oh you play sports? No, you're stuck.

The system used to treat them like children. Now they have the same freedoms as other adults. Sucks to suck if you're not a very desirable destination.

Sure. But it was framed as “think of the children” as all such things are constantly framed by the dumbest amongst us. 
and yes- sucks to suck indeed. Those guys want a problem solved that nobody (but them) views as a problem and it was built into the system to do what it’s doing, and everyone knew it would happen. 

During the Charlie strong years I fking went shopping with my wife during games and just checked final score to see how much we lost by……..DARK TIMES. I think I watched crazy rich Asians during a game once. TERRRRIBLE 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

Muah. Nothing personal. Misery loves company and we were miserable for nearly 15 years. Sadly for us sadists DeBoer is a great coach and if he can recruit y'all will be fine.

ambassadord-june-2013-big-if.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3