Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm saying the Cowboys are already considering DLaw's money as money spent against the cap.  

and I’m asking if he sits out like leveon bell does that money come off the cap?  I know it really wouldn’t matter as any decent FAs would already be signed.  but say... dak is just a monumental fucking abortion early in 2019 (obviously) and tank decided to sit on his ass instead of play under the franchise tag again.  so does tank’s franchise tag money come off the cap?  and in turn allow us to sign Romo to save our season?  thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.  

Just now, futureman said:

and I’m asking if he sits out like leveon bell does that money come off the cap?  I know it really wouldn’t matter as any decent FAs would already be signed.  but say... dak is just a monumental fucking abortion early in 2019 (obviously) and tank decided to sit on his ass instead of play under the franchise tag again.  so does tank’s franchise tag money come off the cap?  and in turn allow us to sign Romo to save our season?  thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.  

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that $$ does come off the cap if Tank doesn't sign the tag offer.  

The $$$ doesnt come off the cap...but yes the steelers didnt pay bell 1cent...counted on cap but actual $$$ never changed hands...

Read article on dlaw/cowboys saying shoulder surgery could be a hold up
Sounds like dlaw might want to forgo surgery and cowboys want him to get surgery....mentioned mid april as date to have surgery and be ready for training camp

Love the Quinn move...saw rumored a 6th rounder in 2020?  Even it's a 4th/5th rounder you do that every day.

I do not get why people are even thinking this is about DLaw.  That's a separate issue.  He's not a replacement, he's a compliment.

Get Tank deal done, and now they have no pressing needs that force them to take a player in the draft.  Hell, they could now trade up for a player that drops a bit if he is an impact player instead of feeling like they have to sit there.

• Like 1

The Quinn deal has zero to do with Lawrence. He will be a decent stop-gap starter or rotation guy on the weak side, but with intent to upgrade. Lawrence has found a home at the left end spot, the Cowboys will get a deal done, or he'll do the franchise tag thing for another year.

38 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

this trade wouldn't be necessary if your first round DE pick from a couple of years ago wasn't a complete garbage bust...

Good think Tank was a bust after 2 years too...

I'm just saying he's definitely not lived up to this draft spot so far...but Garbage Bust is probably a bit harsh too.

20 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why even bother reporting on stupid stuff like this? As if that $2.5M/yr difference is what is causing their impasse. The issue of consequence is obviously the difference in guaranteed money. Why not report on that, other than to do the organization's bidding of course. 

You do realize that's Mike Fisher, right? The biggest Jerry Jones mouthpiece who the cowboys got a radio gig on their flagship station to promote himself as long as he serves as their personal stooge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Good think Tank was a bust after 2 years too...

I'm just saying he's definitely not lived up to this draft spot so far...but Garbage Bust is probably a bit harsh too.

What? Tank played a ton as a rookie and got win sealing play over the Lions in the playoffs. He wasn't a bust after 2 years. 

Taco is such a bust they traded for this guy rather than let him play. 

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

What? Tank played a ton as a rookie and got win sealing play over the Lions in the playoffs. He wasn't a bust after 2 years. 

Taco is such a bust they traded for this guy rather than let him play. 

Not to mention Tank had a shitload of hurries and QB hits during his 1st two seasons. Sturm has an old article about how impactful Tank was during his 1st two seasons despite not accruing a whole bunch of sacks. If we had a more opportunistic 2ndary we'd think a lot more highly of Lawrence.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Siap......

The Dallas Cowboys have 6 picks in the 2019 NFL draft

Dallas has officially received a compensatory fourth-round pick (No. 136 overall) in this year's draft.  The Cowboys receive the pick for losing linebackers Anthony Hitchens and Kyle Wilber in free agency last offseason.

Below are the six picks the Cowboys own in the 2019 draft.

2019 NFL draft

When: April 25-27
Round 1: April 25, 7 p.m. CT
Where: Nashville, Tenn.

Dallas' picks

Round 1 -- None (Amari Cooper trade)
Round 2 -- No. 58 overall
Round 3 -- No. 90 overall
Round 4 -- No. 128 overall
Round 4 -- No. 136 overall
Round 5 -- No. 165 overall
Round 6 -- None (Bene Benwikere trade)
Round 7 -- No. 241 overall

The Cowboys and Colts alternate picking 26th and 27th in each round due to the two teams finishing with the same 10-6 record, postseason appearances and strength of schedule.

17 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Probably more about Gregory, but also became necessary because Taco is a fucking bust too. 

It's about both, and the numerous other guys that they drafted and brought in over the last few years hoping they would be productive pass rushers, or at least good depth, but either did not or have not shown enough.

14 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

They’re gonna likely try to move taco inside to the 3-Tech.   

Quite possible. One conundrum is that I think Taco is better suited on the left side, but that's where Lawrence is already a bookend, after they experimented with him on the blind side, and he can play both, but he's just better on the left side, and that's where he needs to stay.

I think Taco can still end up being a good player, but the jury is still out.

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

looks like. maybe they know more about what he got suspended for because all the articles I see say the front office is hopeful he can play in 2019

Mike Fisher has been dropping lots of hints that it was related to alcohol and not informing his accountability partner of his whereabouts for a few days.  Both are conditions set in his reinstatement.  Drinking alcohol would actually be considered a relapse in his case.  

I guess we'll see.    

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

looks like. maybe they know more about what he got suspended for because all the articles I see say the front office is hopeful he can play in 2019

Dallas probably sees the conversion of $310k of the 2019 contract to a signing bonus as worth the gamble for locking Gregory up for next 2 years while hoping he can still play in 2019 & 2020.

Based on what I found:

2019.... Contract $645k + incentives + $310k signing bonus

2020.... Contract $735k + incentives

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Se we're basically paying very little to retain him on the off-chance he gets his shit together?

Yep, god this team sucks so bad and has no clue what it's doing!!!

-read on twitter after the reporting of this.

Basically it's a "if he ever puts it together it'll be for Us, not them" deal.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Yep, god this team sucks so bad and has no clue what it's doing!!!

-read on twitter after the reporting of this.

Basically it's a "if he ever puts it together it'll be for Us, not them" deal.

Lol. Keep on hanging on to the hope these types of players ever get it together. The Dallas Cowboys, the kings of "next year is our year and will be different!". He has shown not one ounce of hope that he will contribute full time since we drafted him in the 2nd round. But hey, let's extend him! Great logic.

Edited by Vic Mackey

NFL "looking into" the extension Dallas gave Gregory. 

FRISCO - According to NFL Network, the Dallas Cowboys forged a new contract extension with Randy Gregory over a week ago. And yet, here we are, with no official announcement. Why? Because from what we can gather, the NFL's eyeballs aren't yet satisfied enough with it to make it official.

The deal itself is in part offering up a grand show of support for the future of presently-suspended defensive end Gregory (though it does not come in the form of piles and piles of cash). This is another thing. And I can come up with three reasons to justify this "another thing.'' But first, to the concept of a delay, first discussed by Bryan Broaddus with "Ben & Skin'' on Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan: The story is that the unusual nature of the contract, and maybe the unusual timing, too, is causing the league to take a hard look at it before rubber-stamping it in to approval.

We're not being "alarmist'' about it; the "Three Reasons For Doing It'' as we outline below likely still stand. But there's just enough of a red flag for the NFL to put it on hold, at least momentarily, so there's just enough reason for us to write about it. Now to the details of the proposed deal:

The Cowboys are planning to extend the contract of the oft-troubled 26-year-old pass-rusher, per NFL Network, the team converting $310,000 of Gregory’s 2019 salary to a signing bonus and tacking onto his existing deal another year, for 2020, worth $735,000.

It can be assumed there are incentives to be earned there, too, largely based on not only Gregory's productivity (he had six sacks in 2018) but also on his availability (he has, since coming out of Nebraska as a second-round pick, spend most of his career under the suspension thumb of the NFL.) But ...

No. 1, the $735,000 is a wildly affordable way to keep contractual control of a player Dallas believes has all-star abilities as a pass-rusher. There has been some debate, due to the series of extensions, as to whether Gregory was to be restricted or unrestricted after this season. I'm still checking on the Cowboys' official word there. But in either event, he's clearly under contract for 2020 now -- and on the cheap.

No. 2, the Cowboys also believe in Gregory as a person, and that is part of this, too. Additionally, it is the position of the Gregory camp that his 2018 campaign was one of great behavioral success but included one stumble that has placed him back on the commissioner's "suspended indefinitely'' list. There is actually some hope among Gregory supporters that this latest suspension may not cut into his game availability at all in 2019 as the NFL increases its awareness of the use of marijuana by those with mental health issues.

And while the Cowboys recently chased some insurance against another Gregory failure -- the trade last week with the Miami Dolphins for defensive end Robert Quinn likely puts Quinn at the top of the depth chart at right end, with Gregory behind him -- this contract move gives Dallas more insurance of a different sort.

No. 3, and to a very fine point of dollars and sense: I believe that Gregory, who hasn't been able to pocket all of the money that was a part of his original $4 million contract, is working to keep his financial life afloat. That $310,000 signing bonus presumably goes straight to his pocket, straight to his bank, and maybe straight to some waiting debtors. Meanwhile, that $735,000 in 2020? Maybe there is a way Jerry Jones can hand that to Gregory even in the event he stumbles again, the owner wishing to grant support to a struggling person who he cares about.

This is presently Gregory's fourth suspension for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. The Cowboys have pledged their belief in him and their support of him as, to quote coach Jason Garrett, “get his issues under control.”

Randy Gregory's issues are not yet under control. But assuming this deal is approved by the league, he will nowbe  under contractual control of the Cowboys for another year ... with cash in his pocket ... meaning maybe both sides are showing some faith in each other.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/NFL-examining-Cowboys-contract-extension-agreement-with-Gregory-130831557/

22 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lol. Keep on hanging on to the hope these types of players ever get it together. The Dallas Cowboys, the kings of "next year is our year and will be different!". He has shown not one ounce of hope that he will contribute full time since we drafted him in the 2nd round. But hey, let's extend him! Great logic.

Who's hanging hopes on anything?  This is purely a "if he can play we want him playing for us" deal.  Jesus Christ man, you have got to be better.

Edited by Drew