PSA: IT'S NOT A BREAKFAST TACO UNLESS IT HAS EGGS IN IT.

Beau Vine

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't care for gringo-fied taco places very much.  But when Tacodeli is on the menu, the Otto is my go-to -- yeah, they're black beans, but they're either made with lard (the right way), or the bacon addition gives 'em that perfect pork smoke salt flavor.  Reminds me of a good bean and cheese breffiss taco growing up.  And hell yes add the dona sauce (I just bought a tub of the similar sauce from La Finca on North Lamar -- I re-load every time I get my haircut at Bob's Barber Shop). 

Ever order a full mexican breakfast plate somewhere?  Maybe one that comes with refrieds, bacon, eggs, and tortillas?  Plenty of times, I eat my eggs, and use the bean and bacon to make tacos.  We are the people that decided to put goddamned anything you can imagine on a tortilla.  Mexico should win its own Nobel Prize just for that.

here's the thing. 

a place serving breakfast tacos needs a few things for you to know that they are legitimately good and not some pinche gringo bullshit.

i submit to the thread that without:

• huevos con nopales
  • machacado con huevo
  • lengua has to be on the menu
  • and i don't eat it, but menudo also has to be on the menu
  • posole

without the above, you are not eating at a decent taco place. 

my colleagues recently took me to taco flats. i saw a $7 posole on the menu and ordered that for lunch with an al pastor taco. i got a fucking paper cup with a poor imitation of posole in it. it was fucking terrible. moral of the story: don't go to taco flats. it stands to note that there is no nopales on the menu, also, i'm looking at tacodeli and torchy's as well. if you have to name a taco some clever name so you can hipster that shit up to charge $4 pr taco, you're a fraud.

give me arandinas, arandas, or casa maria any day of the week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

here's the thing. 

a place serving breakfast tacos needs a few things for you to know that they are legitimately good and not some pinche gringo bullshit.

• huevos con nopales
  • machacado con huevo
  •  lengua has to be on the menu
  •  posole

my colleagues recently took me to taco flats. i saw a $7 posole on the menu and ordered that for lunch with an al pastor taco. i got a fucking paper cup with a poor imitation of posole in it. it was fucking terrible. moral of the story: don't go to taco flats. it stands to note that there is no nopales on the menu, also, i'm looking at tacodeli and torchy's as well. if you have to name a taco some clever name so you can hipster that shit up to charge $4 pr taco, you're a fraud.

This is total fucking cracker ass fake authenticity bullshit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

here's the thing. 

• huevos con nopales
  • machacado con huevo
  • posole

Nah...submission denied

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

here's the thing. 

• huevos con nopales
  • machacado con huevo
  • posole

My mom saw Viggo Mortensen at Arandas once.

If Aragorn eats there, you know it's good.

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

As evidence, my first submission is the Tamale House airport menu (peace be upon them).

1625727_1411777365736504_628263588_n.jpg

1743702_1411777295736511_1039443030_n.jp

1622782_1411777362403171_1348055524_n.jp

1011678_1411777312403176_499724919_n.jpg

71463_1411777302403177_481423849_n.jpg?_

1622778_1411777339069840_376796499_n.jpg

1798120_1411777345736506_876017770_n.jpg

1508173_1411777325736508_1585018927_n.jp

<begrudgingly, as there is no cactus or tripas or lengua> okay....

giphy.gif

my disdain is more reserved for the spinach, eggs, and avocado taco places.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

It don’t make a shit who invented what or what you like to call it.

A flour tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs with bacon/sausage/potato & yellow cheese is a breakfast taco. Ken’s tacos at Rundberg & Cameron/Dessau FTW.

Do you remember when they invented the breffis taco?

Saying a migas taco is not redundant is like saying your going to build a bear to get the extras or whatever they have to make a stuffed animal. Migas is a build your own taco. You don't order migas to eat it with your fork. You stuff it into a tortilla and make your taco until you are too full. Only when you are too full to finish the plate by putting it into a tortilla do you pull the fork out and eat it sans taco. You are also allowed to tear strips from your tortillas and make mini tacos to pick the food up with instead of using silverware if you want to be like or actually are a real Mexican.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Saying a migas taco is not redundant is like saying your going to build a bear to get the extras or whatever they have to make a stuffed animal. Migas is a build your own taco. You don't order migas to eat it with your fork. You stuff it into a tortilla and make your taco until you are too full. Only when you are too full to finish the plate by putting it into a tortilla do you pull the fork out and eat it sans taco. You are also allowed to tear strips from your tortillas and make mini tacos to pick the food up with instead of using silverware if you want to be like or actually are a real Mexican.

this reads like the preamble at a klan rally. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had to run an errand on the east side this morning. Grabbed a sack of tacos for the office:

32b9a9a4c3b47bb3761d33e367ae26af.jpg

Chorizo egg and cheese. And a coupla bean and cheese for someone who doesn’t like eggs. Lots of spicy jalapeño salsa. Happiness.

There are isoglosses that divide Texas into three sectors. This place is in the farthest eastern one, where it's Beto's Mexican Restaurant. Farther south and west, it will be Beto's Restaurant. Keep going, and right before you need a passport, it's Restaurante Beto. They may all serve the same recipe. Use of fluorescent poster board for wall menus will also increase heading southwest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

There are isoglosses that divide Texas into three sectors. This place is in the farthest eastern one, where it's Beto's Mexican Restaurant. Farther south and west, it will be Beto's Restaurant. Keep going, and right before you need a passport, it's Restaurante Beto. They may all serve the same recipe. Use of fluorescent poster board for wall menus will also increase heading southwest.

I find no fault in this hypothesis.

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

A good start, but we left out rising before dawn, walking through the bamboo grove to light a candle at the hidden shrine of Tlaloc, then gathering our own eggs warm from under the chicken's ass before we cook our own breakfast taco, then take a machete, chop nopal, and ride the horse down the mountain on the road made from river stones so we can trade them for pulque behind that restaurant where the fresas who pretend to be French women eat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

False.  

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah. I only went here once (it's in Monterrey), so I don't know if it's just the owner who's from Tampico, or if a whole mafia of Tampiqueno expats hang out there. I bet they do.

Took my kids to Taqueria las Chivas a couple of weeks ago.  Was driving by, saw the name, and said "let's go there for lunch, looks like they serve goat."

Fucking dumbass.  I laughed my ass off when I got inside and it was covered with this sort of stuff:

banderas-premium-chivas-guadalajara-150x

It's a damned Chivas sports bar and taqueria.

It was damned good, though. 

14 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I have never felt the need for additional empty carbs while eating Migas. Isn't that the point of cooking in the tortilla chips?

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I have never felt the need for additional empty carbs while eating Migas. Isn't that the point of cooking in the tortilla chips?

Yes but it is badass in a taco. Same as my favorite mexico city food Chilaquiles Torta. Do you need the carbs that the bread brings? Probably not but it is so damn good

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, it's always ______ and egg (e.g., potato and egg, bacon and egg, chorizo and egg, wiener and egg, etc.) and then any extras (cheese, guac, or god forbid sour cream, etc). The correct usage is: "Give me a potato and egg with cheese and guacamole." Don't fucking say, "Give a taco with cheese, guacamole, eggs and potato."

Except if it's just egg and cheese. Then it's ... egg and cheese. Covered in the second rule, except cheese is not a fucking 'extra,' got dammit.

9 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Except if it's just egg and cheese. Then it's ... egg and cheese. Covered in the second rule, except cheese is not a fucking 'extra,' got dammit.

I don't like cheese in my breffis tacos.

Fight me.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:11 PM, Brew said:

I eat breakfast tacos a couple of mornings a week. I eat tacos for lunch and supper some days as well. The main difference is eggs which in turn makes it a breakfast taco otherwise I’m just eating a taco at breakfast.

Exactly right! There's nothing wrong with eating a bean and cheese taco at breakfast. And if you're a Surly man who tells his family it's a breakfast taco, I have no issue with that. However, to touch on the point I believe the OP is making, don't advertise it as a breakfast taco if it ain't got no fucking eggs! (I'm really referring to some form of restaurant or food truck here -- and if you have a quick description of all menu items with all relevant ingredients, I ain't gonna get stabby on you if you call it a breakfast taco and describe it clearly without eggs). And shit I wish I was close to Valentina's around breakfast time...

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It was an $18 move.

This is what really pisses me off about gringo taco shacks.  That's like 4 tacos at gringofied pricing. Tamale house tacos were like 65 cents. Even after they had to increase prices they were $1. This fucking $4 for a breakfast taco shit is out of hand. 

• Like 1

This is what really pisses me off about gringo taco shacks.  That's like 4 tacos at gringofied pricing. Tamale house tacos were like 65 cents. Even after they had to increase prices they were $1. This fucking $4 for a breakfast taco shit is out of hand. 

Preach. Mine were $2 each. Actually, $3.50 for three of the same, plus extra for the cheese add-on. I loaded up on 10 for $15 (tipped $3).