PSA: IT'S NOT A BREAKFAST TACO UNLESS IT HAS EGGS IN IT.

Beau Vine

On 1/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, ztejas said:

This thread needs more lighter fluid. 

Corn vs. Flour? Specifically for the breakfast variety. I'm hoping everyone answers this one right. 

#teamstripbacon

No restaurant is taking the time to cook regular delicious bacon and then dice it. 

Only your mom  

Otherwise You getting scraps and cheap meat. Sell that shit in bags at the depot 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is what really pisses me off about gringo taco shacks.  That's like 4 tacos at gringofied pricing. Tamale house tacos were like 65 cents. Even after they had to increase prices they were $1. This fucking $4 for a breakfast taco shit is out of hand. 

I want to revisit the Real Deal Holyfield for a moment. When I was told an $8 breakfast taco (or whatever it costs now) exists, I got angry on basic principle. 

But damn if that isn't the king of tacos. Holy shit that is amazing. Plus when you consider the price of brisket, a huge slab of perfectly smoked fatty brisket laid on top of those eggs bacon and beans, it's probably priced about right. 

I consider any trip to Austin failed if it doesn't include at least one of those bad boys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

#teamstripbacon

No restaurant is taking the time to cook regular delicious bacon and then dice it. 

Only your mom  

Otherwise You getting scraps and cheap meat. Sell that shit in bags at the depot 

As soon as I'm sure I understand what you're saying here, I think I will be agreeing with you.  Stay tuned, though...

Just for the record, maybe part of this thread should be everyone has to list their GO-TO taco or taco order is (kinda like how Jalopnik writers have to list the cars they own/drive).  For me, it's 2 chorizo/egg/cheese, 1 bean/cheese/chorizo, and 1 chorizo/egg/bean/cheese... and my God, I hope I listed those accurately.  I'm fine with more elaborate inventions from the trucks, etc. but I prefer just the basics. 

I sympathize with the point OP is making and I'm happy it was brought up, but I will also say that if you get a solid bean and cheese or (drool) cheek-meat barbacoa taco any time before noon, you'd be hard pressed to break your overnight fast in any tastier way.

Full disclosure, I live in New York and this all makes me sad that I live in New York.

24 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Just for the record, maybe part of this thread should be everyone has to list their GO-TO taco or taco order is

This is highly dependent on where I'm getting the taco. 

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

New York City??!!  Get a rope.

I like the cut of your jib but the jury is still out on you Bruin. You hold burritos in higher esteem than tacos. May the Council of Elders decide your fate. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trynapigdog said:

The point of cooking in the tortilla chips is to stretch the meal to feed more people. Abuelita ain’t counting carbs. Pendejete.

Maybe abuelita should be. She was a little doughy the last time I piped her out - pendejo. 

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why the hell is a plate of migas "white"?  It's literally a shit ton of great things that go together well, like the 2005 Longhorns, but darker in spots.

I wonder about you people.  Then again, I'm very white.

you can’t read for shit.  migas wrapped in a tortilla is white.  also delicious, but still whiter than your mother’s ass. 

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

you can’t read for shit.  migas wrapped in a tortilla is white.  also delicious, but still whiter than your mother’s ass. 

Your tendency to own your own self is not only legendary, but well earned:

Migas are pretty white to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Chorizo egg and cheese w jalapeño salsa on fresh HEB tortillas. Because cold Saturday.

01453cc143b9738381eae97281f1863d.jpg

Nice.  Got up early this morning and fired up the pit. Once that all got settled, proceeded to make some bacon and egg breakfast tacos for the kids. People are in a good mood in the household this morning. 

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m just digging into this thread, but....

HUEVOS RANCHEROS

I'm A HUEVOS ESTRELLADOS kinda guy myself. Maybe some sliced 'maters on the side, a few chunks of rock salt, and just enough refried beans to plug the coffee up until you get home and let it blow. Eggs must be barely done, I want to play chicken with salmonella or else I don't feel alive.

• Like 1

Terrible thread. What is it with white people and trying to 1) appropriate other cultures while at the same time outwardly showing disdain for their people, and 2) telling them what's what about their own culture?

Also what is it with white people and eggs? It's a fucking chicken embryo you're eating. That's disgusting

11 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Terrible thread. What is it with white people and trying to 1) appropriate other cultures while at the same time outwardly showing disdain for their people, and 2) telling them what's what about their own culture?

Also what is it with white people and eggs? It's a fucking chicken embryo you're eating. That's disgusting

Hey shit for brains, we're Texans.  Breakfast tacos ARE our fucking culture. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 3:22 PM, ztejas said:

A breakfast burrito is an extraneous foodstuff that never needed to exist. Likewise, anyone calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos should probably be arrested and submitted for questioning, and anyone that feels the need to eat 5 eggs and half a pound of sausage wrapped in an 18 inch tortilla before noon is equally as suspect. 

I have family in west texas and they exclusively have breakfast burritos.  They are in fact burritos, with a bigger tortilla, but they become equally annoyed when I refer to our smaller tortilla breakfast rollups as tacos.  

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Sorry to bother you, sir, but you have peppered your speech with alien French words, bold-faced above. As a person of conquered Saxon heritage, each French word that you chose, however innocently, hurts me like a knife twisting in my guts. Please show more sensitivity in the future.

(Hey, I'm just kidding, I'm a Norman. Have a drink and saddle up, we got some jus primae noctis to take care of down in the village, honi soit qui mal y pense.)

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

We don't eat embryos. They're not fertilized eggs.

Cultural appropriation...lol. Give me a break.

I used to drink a little.

Before that, I used to drink a LOT.

When you have a fresh 80 pack of tortillas and wake up on a Sunday morning with mild to medium hangover, then a "breakfast taco" is anything you can find in the fridge.

Does it need to have refritos in it? Depends. Do you have any leftover beans in your fridge?

On the other hand, if there's leftover Kung Pao, or Popeye's in there, you got yourself a breakfast taco. If you want to throw a scrambled egg on there, help yourself. No objection here. On the other hand, if you want to skip the eggs and spend that time and effort making a Bloody Mary instead...

Been there.

Someone posted upthread about Taco Shack. I haven't been there in 20 years, but they had some great carne guisada.

Rock on you surly bastards.

• Like 2

all tacos are good. 

eggs are good. refried beans good. salsa good. hot sauce good. 

also, anything of chorizo, any slightly burnt animal bits, blackened taters, cados, cheese. 

flour or corn, depends. 

habenero is how you wake up in the morning, asshole willing

12 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I created an embryo inside your mother. 

Granzin's BBQ in NB.... their most popular breakfast taco is "the Granzin" ... it's Carne Guisada, a little queso, a little gravy, and some breakfast potatoes. It's better than any of your nancy boy Austin breakfast tacos and it doesn't have any eggs in it. And yes, Wimberley is nancy ass Austin taco land. 

Great thread.  It’s like that stupid shit people click on Facebook because the premise is so stupid you have to see their justification for it.  

There are simply too many non-egg breakfast tacos for OP to hold true.  The Mexicans I work with looked at me like I was an idiot when I posed this question.  Carne guisada and barbacoa tacos are obviously breakfast, not to mention all of the combos of potatoes, bacon, bean, cheese, chorizo, etc. 

I don’t even understand the debate about taco vs burrito.  Both are awesome and have their place.  That being said, i’ve never had a breakfast taco that can even remotely measure up to a proper New Mexico breakfast burrito smothered in green.  That taco does not exist.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I actually find it amusing that Bill Millers BBQ does several things well....but none of them are BBQ.

A few years back my dad went elk hunting on the Forbes Trinchera Ranch. He said a bunch of guys from Miller’s BBQ (family I assumed) were up there at the same time and brought a bunch of coolers packed full of their BBQ product.   That’s what they ate.  Dad found that extra amusing.