PSA: IT'S NOT A BREAKFAST TACO UNLESS IT HAS EGGS IN IT.

Beau Vine

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

NSIAP, one of my favorite breakfast tacos is the Otto from tacodeli.  It’s mashed black beans, avocado, and bacon.  I put a schtickle of Dona on there.  There are no eggs on it and if you don’t consider that a breakfast taco, you live in a part of Texas with access to shitty restaurants.  

Sorry some of us live near the original tacodeli where many of their breakfast tacos, including the frontera fundido, don’t feature eggs.  

I don't care for gringo-fied taco places very much.  But when Tacodeli is on the menu, the Otto is my go-to -- yeah, they're black beans, but they're either made with lard (the right way), or the bacon addition gives 'em that perfect pork smoke salt flavor.  Reminds me of a good bean and cheese breffiss taco growing up.  And hell yes add the dona sauce (I just bought a tub of the similar sauce from La Finca on North Lamar -- I re-load every time I get my haircut at Bob's Barber Shop). 

Ever order a full mexican breakfast plate somewhere?  Maybe one that comes with refrieds, bacon, eggs, and tortillas?  Plenty of times, I eat my eggs, and use the bean and bacon to make tacos.  We are the people that decided to put goddamned anything you can imagine on a tortilla.  Mexico should win its own Nobel Prize just for that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And hell yes add the dona sauce (I just bought a tub of the similar sauce from La Finca on North Lamar -- I re-load every time I get my haircut at Bob's Barber Shop). 

I'm sure that's legit, but it's an easy sauce to roll on your own.  A pound of jalapenos (boiled), a head of garlic, some olive oil to texture and salt to taste . . . voila.  

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nobody here is anti egg or saying that’s bad - it’s awesome, actually.

We just like ALL the breffis tacos. Y’all are arguing that only blondes are suitable for morning loving. We’re noting that like hell, brunettes and redheads are appropriate, too. We love em all.

I'm going to escalate this because that's what Beau Vine wants. Fuck eggs on breakfast tacos.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure that's legit, but it's an easy sauce to roll on your own.  A pound of jalapenos (boiled), a head of garlic, some olive oil to texture and salt to taste . . . voila.  

Agree....but I'm the only one in the house who likes it.  So, making a huge batch is a waste.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you're just not eating enough of it.

And that's a fair criticism.

The other day, I had some leftover Doritos -- you know, the broken pieces at the bottom of the bag.  I poured them into a paper boat.  I poured some of La Finca's dona sauce on 'em.  I ate 'em with a spoon.  I thought of submitting my masterpiece to the Smithsonian, but then, I couldn't have eaten it, too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DaysOff said:

If it was socially acceptable to have eggs at every meal I would.

It's not?

22 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The answer to that question has to be no.  Otherwise the Real Deal Holyfield from Valentina's TexMex BBQ wouldn't be a breakfast taco.271877_original.jpg

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I recently discovered this little gem of a spot in San Pedro.  The Chori Man, where almost everything on the menu has their homemade chorizo in it.  The breakfast burrito (made with over easy eggs instead of scrambled) was one of the best I've ever eaten.

choriman_san_pedro_raygoza.jpg

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I just hope that this "breffis" slang doesn't really become a thing. 

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

We should all be able to agree on that. Like people who refer to sandwiches as sammies. Shove cute lingo up your fucking ass. 

It's actually not uncommon in tex-mex english.  As is "sangwich," which drives a friend of mine muy crazy.  Her husband and three boys all say it, and she hollers "goddamit that's not how you say it!"  But what does she know, she's Puerto Rican.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's actually not uncommon in tex-mex english.  As is "sangwich," which drives a friend of mine muy crazy.  Her husband and three boys all say it, and she hollers "goddamit that's not how you say it!"  But what does she know, she's Puerto Rican.

My college buddies and I always use "sangwich" as used at the end of the prison cooking scene in Goodfellas.  Thought that was an Italian thing.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

My college buddies and I always use "sangwich" as used at the end of the prison cooking scene in Goodfellas.  Thought that was an Italian thing.

It may just be a generic linguistic laziness of recent immigrant cultures.  I dunno.  I just know that almost all the folks I know who say "sangwich" are tex-mex.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It's actually not uncommon in tex-mex english.  As is "sangwich," which drives a friend of mine muy crazy.

OK, now that's going too far.  Let the first man who has worked on a construction crew and not vocalized a desire for a nice roast beef sangwich and a couple of Meelers Lites cast the first stone.

• Haha 1

If you want to really split hairs, you can debate the unofficial nomenclature of ordering breakfast tacos.

For example, you would never order a cheese and bean taco. That's just wrong. It's always bean and cheese.

Also, it's always ______ and egg (e.g., potato and egg, bacon and egg, chorizo and egg, wiener and egg, etc.) and then any extras (cheese, guac, or god forbid sour cream, etc). The correct usage is: "Give me a potato and egg with cheese and guacamole." Don't fucking say, "Give a taco with cheese, guacamole, eggs and potato."

If you have a taco with eggs, beans and cheese, it's always a bean and egg with cheese. It's not a bean and cheese with eggs. Why? I have no fucking clue but that's the way it is. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If you want to really split hairs, you can debate the unofficial nomenclature of ordering breakfast tacos.

For example, you would never order a cheese and bean taco. That's just wrong. It's always bean and cheese.

Correct.  "Cheese and bean" is almost as bad as "the OU-Texas game" (and I feel dirty for just typing it out).