Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Harvey was waiting on GoT. Also, time for a new couch and maybe not quite leather with three large dogs. Those black spots are places where their claws have gouged the leather.92dbc57d20350ce841cf2f05f087b6fd.jpg

Do not buy a fabric couch. The smell it will hold is way worse than scratching leather. 

Had a micro suede. After 5 months and three professional cleanings it went to the curb. Won’t make that mistake again. 

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. Leather is the only way to go. Make sure you buy good, thick, quality leather, too. My three dogs have yet to put a hole in my couch with their nails in the two years I've had it, and they live on that thing. 

No holes.  Just scratches and gouges.  Will get a distressed leather couch next time.  They seem to like this one, and I have covers for when company comes.  :D

On 4/15/2019 at 11:56 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No holes.  Just scratches and gouges.  Will get a distressed leather couch next time.  They seem to like this one, and I have covers for when company comes.  :D

I have had three on my leather sofa for two years. I keep the nails trimmed and regularly clean and condition the leather. Still looks like new.

Just found out my nine-year-old golden has kidney stones. They want three grand operate, and the stones could always come back.

Cant stand the thought that this may be the end, but don’t know if moving forward with surgery makes sense.

I’d appreciate some rational thought on this without all the sanctimonious bullshit.

Shop the surgery around to other vets. 

The first vet I was referred to for Blue's liver quoted me $4500 for liver surgery, stone removal, and spaying, with the bulk of that being the liver work, so I think you could find a better price than $3k. 

Edited by Deej

Not sure if this has been posted on here or not but I will give the warning on Orbit Sugarless Gum.  My 11 yr old Brittany Spaniel Lucy, got in my daughters purse and ate a pack of Orbit sugarless gum.  I didn't think anything of it until I looked it up on line.  Any sugarless food containing Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs.  I called my Vet and took her immediately, She spent two days at the vet and will be on meds for a month.  The vet said I was extremely lucky that I looked it up and called, Xylitol is very hard on a dogs liver.  She also gave me the warning that she has seen many dogs with liver failure after their owners gave them peanut butter, unaware that some contain Xylitol.

Lucy is on the mend and her blood levels are back to normal.

• Like 4

This is Kiara, our new cat.

97acc6f219253d52417e6563db4cd06e.jpg

She is 11 months old. She was a rescue that we rescued from her rescuer who could not keep her because she got too big. My wife found her on the internet as needing to be rehomed. She gets along great with our poodle Maggie Mae and the other cats. Kiara is a lab mix and takes over my chair whenever I leave the room.

Maggie and Kiki.

68e25de5ed8cd734c820e64249c019db.jpg

Maggie is 9 and is the boss.

• Like 2

Yeah, we were very lucky. We didn't think she was going to get past 16, so my folks got a black lab, Lady, and it completely revitalized the Khakster. No way was she gonna let that little shit head get all the attention. I had not lived with her for 13 years, and only got to see her twice a year or so, but she always greeted you with the waggiest of tails. Even the last two years, when she was half blind and deaf, if she got a wiff of you, it was a gallup to see you for ear scratches.

goddamnit

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 3

Got lucky with our 9+ year old bulldog over the weekend.  She’s always been in good health and we got her in London, where they do breed a slightly healthier standard than here.  Anyways, my wife and I had been in Big Bend/Santa Fe for 11 days so she was staying with my folks.  They have a bit of space and she loves to go up there and run around, chase balls, sun bathe.  We brought her home Saturday afternoon and she was fine all day.  Took her out to some of her favorite bars in Rice Village and all was still normal.  About 11pm she started shivering, then lost control of some bodily functions and ultimately her gums turned completely white.  At that point we rushed her off to the emergency vet.  A quick ultrasound later found a cantaloupe size mass attached to the spleen that had ruptured and some concerns about her heart.  Lots of stuff happened over the coming hours thru Sunday afternoon but ultimately gave the OK to cut on her this morning.  All went great and they got the spleen and mass out much better than expected.  Hopefully on the road to recovery and we will know in about a week if it’s malignant or not.

My wife and I are well aware of all the challenges and issues with the bulldog breed.  We’ve always been willing to accept that risk (and cost) if necessary.  But what we weren’t prepared for was the shock of maybe losing her to a health issue in a span of about 24 hours.  She may not have a lot of time left, but hopefully after a recovery from surgery we can wind it down on our own terms over the coming months or (god willing with no cancer) a longer time frame.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

64f396175d7f5271cb7219a3aa32e087.jpgcbb9cdd546c01193632d44226d300cf0.jpgd6f3961cf02a5d393adc975984fc6a35.jpg

Here’s a few pics of her. The first one was about 4 hours before she began to crater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there, y’all. I’m the wife in this scenario and this is my baby. 

I went to USC and flew the plane to get Clay Helton fired. Fighting for my dog (which we had to do because we were being pushed to put her down without complete information) yesterday was light work. She has lived to fight another day. Fight On, baby girl. (Neg at will. Only God can judge me.)

• Like 2

I went to USC and flew the plane to get Clay Helton fired. Fighting for my dog (which we had to do because we were being pushed to put her down without complete information) yesterday was light work. She has lived to fight another day. Fight On, baby girl. (Neg at will. Only God can judge me.)

Gf’s son has a bulldog that sits in chairs like that.

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

She is basically a way more charming human...at least in her own mind. (And mine too.) She behaves accordingly.

That particular photo makes me so sad though, because now that I look at it again I can tell she’s sick. But it’s 10:15 and we haven’t gotten a call. No news, good news, etc....

Btw, I do want to give a word of warning about Gulf Coast Veterinary. While in some ways they have done an awesome job (I have heard the surgical team in particular is one of the best-if not the best-in Texas) in other ways they have totally sucked. They really oversold the worst case scenario and actually pushed us to put her down before it was really necessary. I sort of get it, but I’m not going to fucking sue you and I’ll sign something to that effect. Just take my credit card number and save my fucking dog if you can, please. Her regular vet said, “Yeah they tend to be a bit doomsday over there.” We learned that the hard way yesterday. 

This has been the first time in my life I have thanked God I have a dad with significant, chronic health issues where I have had to make life or death decisions on his behalf because, unlike a lot of people, I know doctors aren’t gods who have all of the answers and it’s OK to push back on them. I asked the exact right question at the exact right moment yesterday and that’s the only reason our girl is still alive. 

Point being, by all means go to Gulf Coast, but don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions and demand second (and third, and fourth) opinions, even on Easter Sunday....

(Btw, her regular vet-Ashley Woods at Mercy in West U-is AMAZING. I don’t blame her for any of this. In fact, if anything, we were going to find out about the likely cancer tomorrow anyway because she identified an abnormality on x-ray and the sad irony is Lulu had an appointment with the Gulf Coast cardiologists tomorrow that we waited over a month for because Dr. Woods insisted, even though other vets/radiologists thought she was wrong. Also, fun fact-one of the scariest moments of my life happened a few hours ago when they called to confirm that appointment. They told us they’d only call us if something really bad was happening, and when I was that number come up on my caller ID...oh man. Glad I was drinking....)

Please tell me you named her after Hank Hill's dog.

Congrats, she's gorgeous.

I can’t claim that. The wife liked Birdie and I wanted to stick to our Texas themed dog names. I suggested Lady Bird as a compromise.

I had honestly forgotten that Hank named their dog that.