Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

48 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Feaster would be a good addition. Still think Whittington finds his way into the backfield as well

Whittington is going to start the season in the backfield.

He might even be ahead of Young on the depth chart, especially because he's already on campus. He could be 210 lbs to 215 lbs by the start of fall practice if he focuses on being ready to be an RB, and at this point, I would think that the coaches are going to strongly suggest that that is his fastest way to get on the field, because we're fucked it he doesn't see significant touches from the RB position.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Whittington is going to start the season in the backfield.

He might even be ahead of Young on the depth chart, especially because he's already on campus. He could be 210 lbs to 215 lbs by the start of fall practice if he focuses on being ready to be an RB, and at this point, I would think that the coaches are going to strongly suggest that that is his fastest way to get on the field, because we're fucked it he doesn't see significant touches from the RB position.

The fact that Whittington is wearing #21 tells you all you need to know. He’s a RB all the way.

13 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The fact that Whittington is wearing #21 tells you all you need to know. He’s a RB all the way.

Right. We’ll use him out of the backfield the same way aggy used Daylon Mack. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Our RB depth scares me to death.

I just want to get into a situation where Sam has to be the #1 option to run the ball when Ingram subs out

It is annoying how we seem to get bit by the injury bug so often. Why can't we expect Ingram to have 250+ carries like Williams did at aggy? Their next RB had 61 carries. Obviously, some depth would be great, but if Ingram holds up we might just need Whittington as a change of pace and Young/Johnson can handle end-of-game clean up.

12 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

It is annoying how we seem to get bit by the injury bug so often. Why can't we expect Ingram to have 250+ carries like Williams did at aggy? Their next RB had 61 carries. Obviously, some depth would be great, but if Ingram holds up we might just need Whittington as a change of pace and Young/Johnson can handle end-of-game clean up.

RBs get hurt more often than not. Just part of the game. 

Drayton doesn't like leaning on one RB either, he keeps a rotation. Sam runs so much for us between the tackles that it makes sense not to have a featured back unless he's Ezekiel Elliott-level god.

15 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The next person who posts about posting is going to be posting about posting to themselves, because they're going to be taking some time off from posting about posting.

So Katfid54 by posting this^^^^

Are you, to use your words  "going to be taking some time off from posting about posting"?

15 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Best situation is Young returns to freshman form. Doubtful obviously. 

I still can’t figure out what happened to him. He looked really promising in the last four or so games of 2017 and then played like one of the monstars stole his ability for all of 2018.

I guess, thankfully, Lebron will be getting Young’s skills back soon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Part of it is that he was a true freshman in heavy rotation. Same nagging injury bug hit Sterns. They're just not as durable as the full-grown men yet.

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So Katfid54 by posting this^^^^

Are you, to use your words  "going to be taking some time off from posting about posting"?

I wasn't the next person. I was the last person.  You were the next person.

Enjoy the dirt nap, fuckswatch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Apologies for veering from the shit posts, but was wondering from those who watched him beyond the highlights: did Whittington ever get many carries as a true RB, or was it almost always as a Wildcat runner? 

Whittington ran the ball as a Wildcat QB, shotgun RB, jet action as a motion slot and reverses from a traditional slot set.  He also got a bunch of receptions that were technically passes but really extensions of the running game: screens, swing passes and checkdowns.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

RBs get hurt more often than not. Just part of the game. 

Drayton doesn't like leaning on one RB either, he keeps a rotation. Sam runs so much for us between the tackles that it makes sense not to have a featured back unless he's Ezekiel Elliott-level god.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Part of it is that he was a true freshman in heavy rotation. Same nagging injury bug hit Sterns. They're just not as durable as the full-grown men yet.

It was more just a complaint about us not being able to pencil anyone in for an injury-free season. Williams also split carries as a frosh/sophomore at aggy, but he got through both seasons without missing any games before toting it 270 times last season. We probably don't even need Ingram to run it that many times even without anyone better than Young/Johnson as a back up, but our expectation is that he will get injured. Frustrating that our guys always seem to be injured while other teams seem to avoid having to go far into their depth chart, especially when they only have bread on the back end. Would probably help if we had 2 G5 patsies and an FCS team on the schedule.

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

The actual 2019 recruiting info is we’re waiting until after spring practices around the country to try and nab a GT RB. That’s all that’s left.

Is it possible to import the 200 or so pages of Shaggy recruiting thread that is left over so people can stop with the neurosis? I suppose it would be maybe 50 pages without the scat, but it would do the trick.