Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I just came over from the football board and have some questions:

I saw that we have no DT committed and that the top big DL in the nation is from Texas.  What's the deal there?

Why is Marcus Washington rated so low?

What position will Whittington play?  He has the RB skillset but that skillset is also really useful to have in a slot receiver.

Also, what ever happened to that Andrew Fitzgerald guy? He was supppsed to be a stud.

Gbenda looks really good, but is Floyd too stiff to be a B12 LB? Any chance Floyd might spin down to DL?

What's the deal with this Shepphard kid? How solid is he to us? I heard he gave one of his HS coaches a black eye.

My aggy buddy said their QB played really well at the AA game.  Way better than ours.  Should I be worried?

Will Ehlinger be a heisman finalist next year?

Who does Jake Smith remind you of?  Only white players will be accepted as answers.

Who is this Footwork King guy?  He seems to have ties to a lot of A&M players.

Why so many out-of-state guys?

Would you let your daughter date Brayden Liebrock?  How about your mom?  I would.  He has the same hair as I do.

...road to 1000...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

48 minutes ago, Fud said:

If it's not Texas, then hopefully it's Arkansas, so those Walmart meth heads can actually beat A&M every once in awhile going forward 

39 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

And more importantly so we don't have to deal with him at TCU. Catalon is good and I don't want to have to face a well-coached Catalon for three years.

Far be it for me to sound cavalier, but unless this cat is the second coming of The Honey Badger, I assume this dude will be the type that sort of blends into the lineup, does decent work as a starter for few years, and disappears into after-football life and is irrelevant to everyone but the alumni base of the school he chose. I mean, the dude is 5'8" and will play nickel. I realize we just saw a midget dominate the sport of CFB, but he also touched the ball on every offensive snap for his team. I say all of this with the hope the guy commits to Texas. I just assume he'll be Rod Babers, not Tyrann Mathieu. 

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I saw that we have no DT committed and that the top big DL in the nation is from Texas.  What's the deal there? We are fucked.

Why is Marcus Washington rated so low? He sucks ass.

What position will Whittington play?  He has the RB skillset but that skillset is also really useful to have in a slot receiver.  Left out.

Also, what ever happened to that Andrew Fitzgerald guy? He was supppsed to be a stud.  Got a bit role on SNL as Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer and never returned to team.

Gbenda looks really good, but is Floyd too stiff to be a B12 LB? Any chance Floyd might spin down to DL?  Offenses have already found out that if you pull on Floyd's oversized butt towel, it saps his powers (similar to grabbing/pulling on a Saiyan's tail).  Expect him to enter the transfer portal before he arrives to campus.

What's the deal with this Shepphard kid? How solid is he to us? I heard he gave one of his HS coaches a black eye. The only black eye relating to Shepherd is a metaphorical one caused by all the $9.95ers besmirching FWK's sterling reputation.

My aggy buddy said their QB played really well at the AA game.  Way better than ours.  Should I be worried?  Yes.

Will Ehlinger be a heisman finalist next year?  Ehlinger will be so good next year that they will rename the trophy to the Ehlinger Trophy and give it to John Heisman.

Who does Jake Smith remind you of?  Only white players will be accepted as answers.  Justin Bieber.

Who is this Footwork King guy?  He seems to have ties to a lot of A&M players.  Seems like you answered this one yourself.

Why so many out-of-state guys? Why not?

Would you let your daughter date Brayden Liebrock?  How about your mom?  I would.  He has the same hair as I do.  Again, why ask the question if you're just going to answer it yourself?

Pls see above.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I saw that we have no DT committed and that the top big DL in the nation is from Texas.  What's the deal there?

Why is Marcus Washington rated so low?

What position will Whittington play?  He has the RB skillset but that skillset is also really useful to have in a slot receiver.

Also, what ever happened to that Andrew Fitzgerald guy? He was supppsed to be a stud.

Gbenda looks really good, but is Floyd too stiff to be a B12 LB? Any chance Floyd might spin down to DL?

What's the deal with this Shepphard kid? How solid is he to us? I heard he gave one of his HS coaches a black eye.

My aggy buddy said their QB played really well at the AA game.  Way better than ours.  Should I be worried?

Will Ehlinger be a heisman finalist next year?

Who does Jake Smith remind you of?  Only white players will be accepted as answers.

Who is this Footwork King guy?  He seems to have ties to a lot of A&M players.

Why so many out-of-state guys?

Would you let your daughter date Brayden Liebrock?  How about your mom?  I would.  He has the same hair as I do.

...road to 1000...

$9.95 please.. then will milk the answers in riddles over the next few pages to 1000

E.J. Holland: Which recruits will Texas see on recruiting trail this week?

—Tommy Brockermeyer is for real. As a 2021, he still has some growth needed in his frame, but the Longhorn legacy showed off superb feet and technique as he dominated OL/DL drills during the Next Level Athlete combine. Brockermeyer will need to add the additional weight and gain upper body strength., but it’s easy to see why colleges are so excited about his potential as a future left tackle.

—Brockermeyer’s brother James Brockermeyer is also a 2021 prospect, and he more than held his own during the competition portion of camp. James is undersized at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, but if he added weight he could be a guy to look at as an interior prospect.

—Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle will likely be an elite prospect by the time he reaches his senior season. After emerging this year, Earle had a strong effort in Aledo’s state championship win, and he continued at today’s camp. Earle has elite quickness and burst off of the line of scrimmage, and he understands how to use his route running to set defensive backs up before exploding to create separation. Earle has some Tavon Austin in him, and schools are starting to catch onto that.

—Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s very long and explosive, and that showed during his junior season. Johnston was strong in the drill portion of today’s camp, but he did have some difficulties in one-on-ones. Johnston is very raw on the route-running side, and defensive backs were able to use that against him. Still, those skills are teachable, and Johnston should be able to develop into a plus receiver with some work.

—2021 Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis probably induced the most reaction on the day. Texas evaluated him earlier in the season, and the SMU commit won’t be a secret for long. Davis has a physical build with explosive upside and sticky hands. He made the difficult catches look very easy, and he imposed his physical will on any defensive back who lined up against him. His development will be interesting to watch because he has the potential to be one of the elite 2021 prospects in Texas.

—South Grand Prairie is home to 2021 wide receiver Deamikkio Nathan. Nathan visited Texas last year, and he’s seeing attention from a few schools. Nathan is another physical specimen at the receiver position, and he was a stand out among pass catchers at the event. Nathan showed good feet and route running ability to go with his sticky hands and physical play.

—2021 Dallas Kimball DB Ishmael Ibraheem caught the eye of just about everyone in attendance. Ibraheem is long and tall, with fluid movement ability. Although he is raw technically, Ibraheem is the type of prototypical corner that Texas looks for.

—The Colony’s Keith Miller recently decommitted from Texas Tech, and he’s starting to see more attention. Miller had some contact with Texas during the evaluation period, and he fits what they look for as a big receiver. Miller’s speed doesn’t stand out as elite, but his basketball ability translates to the gridiron with his body control, vertical ability, and physical nature.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Far be it for me to sound cavalier, but unless this cat is the second coming of The Honey Badger, I assume this dude will be the type that sort of blends into the lineup, does decent work as a starter for few years, and disappears into after-football life and is irrelevant to everyone but the alumni base of the school he chose. I mean, the dude is 5'8" and will play nickel. I realize we just saw a midget dominate the sport of CFB, but he also touched the ball on every offensive snap for his team. I say all of this with the hope the guy commits to Texas. I just assume he'll be Rod Babers, not Tyrann Mathieu. 

You are about to get eviscerated on the Rod Cast sir. I bet he brings on EJ Holland to his show to talk about that weird dinner episode. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You are about to get eviscerated on the Rod Cast sir. I bet he brings on EJ Holland to his show to talk about that weird dinner episode. 

Man, one time I sat down and had dinner with someone I thought to be ctj. Turned out it was E.J. Holland instead.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

—Tommy Brockermeyer is for real. As a 2021, he still has some growth needed in his frame, but the Longhorn legacy showed off superb feet and technique as he dominated OL/DL drills during the Next Level Athlete combine. Brockermeyer will need to add the additional weight and gain upper body strength., but it’s easy to see why colleges are so excited about his potential as a future left tackle.

—Brockermeyer’s brother James Brockermeyer is also a 2021 prospect, and he more than held his own during the competition portion of camp. James is undersized at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, but if he added weight he could be a guy to look at as an interior prospect.

—Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle will likely be an elite prospect by the time he reaches his senior season. After emerging this year, Earle had a strong effort in Aledo’s state championship win, and he continued at today’s camp. Earle has elite quickness and burst off of the line of scrimmage, and he understands how to use his route running to set defensive backs up before exploding to create separation. Earle has some Tavon Austin in him, and schools are starting to catch onto that.

—Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s very long and explosive, and that showed during his junior season. Johnston was strong in the drill portion of today’s camp, but he did have some difficulties in one-on-ones. Johnston is very raw on the route-running side, and defensive backs were able to use that against him. Still, those skills are teachable, and Johnston should be able to develop into a plus receiver with some work.

—2021 Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis probably induced the most reaction on the day. Texas evaluated him earlier in the season, and the SMU commit won’t be a secret for long. Davis has a physical build with explosive upside and sticky hands. He made the difficult catches look very easy, and he imposed his physical will on any defensive back who lined up against him. His development will be interesting to watch because he has the potential to be one of the elite 2021 prospects in Texas.

—South Grand Prairie is home to 2021 wide receiver Deamikkio Nathan. Nathan visited Texas last year, and he’s seeing attention from a few schools. Nathan is another physical specimen at the receiver position, and he was a stand out among pass catchers at the event. Nathan showed good feet and route running ability to go with his sticky hands and physical play.

—2021 Dallas Kimball DB Ishmael Ibraheem caught the eye of just about everyone in attendance. Ibraheem is long and tall, with fluid movement ability. Although he is raw technically, Ibraheem is the type of prototypical corner that Texas looks for.

—The Colony’s Keith Miller recently decommitted from Texas Tech, and he’s starting to see more attention. Miller had some contact with Texas during the evaluation period, and he fits what they look for as a big receiver. Miller’s speed doesn’t stand out as elite, but his basketball ability translates to the gridiron with his body control, vertical ability, and physical nature.

So a high school sophomore needs to gain weight. Well no shit EJ. The guy is stealing from Burton at this point. 

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is Tfloss an EJ sock? or vice versa?

Edited by Sabalo

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

he’s always seemed low-ceiling to me.  5’8” and runs a 4.7 and has an average vertical at best.  phenomenal high school player but maxed out physically without elite physical traits.  low-ceiling college player.  yes, I’d take him but no, I wouldn’t care if he goes elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s always seemed low-ceiling to me.  5’8” and runs a 4.7 and has an average vertical at best.  phenomenal high school player but maxed out physically without elite physical traits.  low-ceiling college player.  yes, I’d take him but no, I wouldn’t care if he goes elsewhere. 

How healthy is Catalon anyway??

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Did you get this mixed up with the recruiting notes from the camp?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think his football instincts are elite and could make him a plus player in the secondary, although I don't blame anyone for being skeptical due to the ACL tear 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Well if he wins it, you can bet Brando and the other chucklefuck announcers will spend the next four years manufacturing the narrative that we did not want him or that he wanted to go to Texas.

Maybe I’m a little slow, but we didn’t want him and he did want to go to Texas. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nope said:

More like we didn’t want him until we heard “last call”

If Texas wanted Glass, they would have brought him in for an official visit. 

Regarding Catalon, sure he's good but what makes him so valuable is the fit/need. Texas hasn't above average nickel play since Diggs. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s small, but he was a really really good HS football player and carried his team in a way that is really uncommon for a 5A or higher school. it’s just not fresh in people’s minds because he missed most of his senior year with an injury.

Statistically speaking, of course he’s more likely to be Rod Babers because anyone is statistically more likely to be an okay player than a great one, but he definitely has Mathieu potential.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Texas wanted Glass, they would have brought him in for an official visit. 

Still wonder if Glass was an option #3 slowplay that Herman was hoping a Grad Transfer RB (Opt #1) or worst case Juco RB (Opt #2) would fill.  

Not signing Glass may make the path a little easier for Texas to sign North Shore RB Zach Evans.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Still wonder if Glass was an option #3 slowplay that Herman was hoping a Grad Transfer RB (Opt #1) or worst case Juco RB (Opt #2) would fill.  

Not signing Glass may make the path a little easier for Texas to sign North Shore RB Zach Evans.

You think Evans gives a shit about Glass?

• Like 1

This staff’s interest in Glass went poof the second Whittington dropped almost 400 in his championship game. And im grateful. 

Ill definitely give him credit for recognizing he was our backup to our backup plan, having some pride, and telling us to pound sand as well. There is such a thing as both sides telling the other thanks but no thanks. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cafe society said:

So... are we back to wanting Catalon? Or do we really want Stewart from North Shore?  Daaaad, my head hurts!

according to the IT guys they always wanted Catalon which is why they recruited him so long / hard - saw him as a guy who could come in and play NB quickly and had a skillset unlike other folks on their board

TFloss on Juco OL and Lakita Henry OV (from 24/7)

Spoiler

Per 24/7, Coach Hand will be seeing JUCO OL Bamidele Olaseni of Garden City, KS this week.

He has been completely silent with the media, but Texas is still recruiting him and he has three officials left.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bamidele-Olaseni-46053088/

///

On JUCO LB Lakia Henry...24/7 is hearing that he won't be in Austin until January 25th.

It's been reported that he will be in this weekend, but they're hearing no official visitors are scheduled and the staff is going to use this weekend to bring more underclassmen in.

The headliner is 2020 RB Zach Evans.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

Wiltfong on Catalon

Spoiler

I'm still hearing Arkansas for Mansfield (Texas) Legacy Top247 safety Jalen Catalon who announced this afternoon he'd be making his college commitment on Friday.

My 247Sports Crystal Ball has been with the Razorbacks since October and two sources reiterated they think it will be Arkansas when he makes his choice. Texas is also still swinging at Catalon who also strongly considered TCU and Oklahoma among others.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Catalon as the nation's No. 20 safety and No. 225 prospect overall. He is a two-way standout on Friday nights excelling under center and in the secondary. He’s a game-changer with the ball in his hands on offense and he is rangy, smart and a playmaker as a defensive back.

As a junior, Catalon racked up 101 tackles, picked off three passes, forced four fumbles, recovered four more and on offense added 1,145 yards passing and 15 touchdowns with another 1,031 yards rushing and 13 more scores. He ran a punt back for a score and is no question one of the best high school football players in the Lone Star State. He racked up 196 tackles, nine interceptions and three fumbles as a sophomore. Injury cut Catalon's senior campaign short.

Catalon plans to play both football and baseball in college.

Arkansas currently has the nation's No. 20 recruiting class per the 247Sports Composite.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, NoName said:

look man, he is taking full stories and condensing them down to like 2-3 sentences. the reason i put his name on it is because i want people to know 1) this isn't me condensing it and 2) this isn't direct info from the site in question (typically)

it is important that people understand the source and context.

it is the same reason when i share comments from IT that i include the person who said it (Boyd, Cook, Nahlin, Wells) - and when people tell us what is said at 24/7 i 100% want to know if the person doing a prospect eval is EJ or Mike Roach. 

context matters. i spoiler it because i understand some people get worked up about how he does things and put zero value it. this way if you don't want to read it, you don't have to...it's easy, just don't click or put me on ignore. 

That's my entire point, man, you're doing it wrong. Let's take your latest two posts in reverse order as an example.

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

Wiltfong on Catalon

Reveal hidden contents

I'm still hearing Arkansas for Mansfield (Texas) Legacy Top247 safety Jalen Catalon who announced this afternoon he'd be making his college commitment on Friday.

My 247Sports Crystal Ball has been with the Razorbacks since October and two sources reiterated they think it will be Arkansas when he makes his choice. Texas is also still swinging at Catalon who also strongly considered TCU and Oklahoma among others.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Catalon as the nation's No. 20 safety and No. 225 prospect overall. He is a two-way standout on Friday nights excelling under center and in the secondary. He’s a game-changer with the ball in his hands on offense and he is rangy, smart and a playmaker as a defensive back.

As a junior, Catalon racked up 101 tackles, picked off three passes, forced four fumbles, recovered four more and on offense added 1,145 yards passing and 15 touchdowns with another 1,031 yards rushing and 13 more scores. He ran a punt back for a score and is no question one of the best high school football players in the Lone Star State. He racked up 196 tackles, nine interceptions and three fumbles as a sophomore. Injury cut Catalon's senior campaign short.

Catalon plans to play both football and baseball in college.

Arkansas currently has the nation's No. 20 recruiting class per the 247Sports Composite.

This post does have information about Catalon and Wiltfong is indeed the source of the information. This is properly attributed.

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

TFloss on Juco OL and Lakita Henry OV (from 24/7)

Reveal hidden contents

Per 24/7, Coach Hand will be seeing JUCO OL Bamidele Olaseni of Garden City, KS this week.

He has been completely silent with the media, but Texas is still recruiting him and he has three officials left.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bamidele-Olaseni-46053088/

///

On JUCO LB Lakia Henry...24/7 is hearing that he won't be in Austin until January 25th.

It's been reported that he will be in this weekend, but they're hearing no official visitors are scheduled and the staff is going to use this weekend to bring more underclassmen in.

The headliner is 2020 RB Zach Evans.

This is incorrectly attributed. This is actually 24/7 on Juco OL and Lakia Henry (via TFloss). TFloss is not the source of the information, he is a conduit through which the information got from 24/7 to us, the wonderful surly readers.

Now to be clear, this doesn't actually bother me that much, just pointing out that you're doing it wrong. As plenty of people around here will confirm, I am perfectly willing to neg people for mundane and trivial shit if it bothers me. Hell, I think I've negged kopp0e multiple times for his ridiculous post formatting. If you're as concerned about proper attribution as your post above implies, then you should want to do it correctly, but I doubt the fact you're not doing so will ever motivate me enough to click twice.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

That's my entire point, man, you're doing it wrong. Let's take your latest two posts in reverse order as an example.

This post does have information about Catalon and Wiltfong is indeed the source of the information. This is properly attributed.

This is incorrectly attributed. This is actually 24/7 on Juco OL and Lakia Henry (via TFloss). TFloss is not the source of the information, he is a conduit through which the information got from 24/7 to us, the wonderful surly readers.

Now to be clear, this doesn't actually bother me that much, just pointing out that you're doing it wrong. As plenty of people around here will confirm, I am perfectly willing to neg people for mundane and trivial shit if it bothers me. Hell, I think I've negged kopp0e multiple times for his ridiculous post formatting. If you're as concerned about proper attribution as your post above implies, then you should want to do it correctly, but I doubt the fact you're not doing so will ever motivate me enough to click twice.

That OU cunt’s formatting is low on his list of sins. Let us not invoke his name lest we summon his inane, worthless ass back to the recruiting board.  

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

looks like i should have consulted the Chicago Manual of Style before copy and pasting stuff here...lol that said, i get what you are saying re: attribution.

the point of putting his name there was so that people didn't think it was me saying it or condensing it. then i decided to who it was about or where it was from (new today actually) to try and make it easier for people who didn't want to click it/open it based on the topic or the source. 

at this point, i am going to go back to just saying "TFloss" and spoiler-ing what it says - people can open it to see who it is about moving forward. that makes it easier on me and is honestly as close as i am going to get to doing some kind of attribution in the future. 

• Like 3

Always suspected Catalon was headed to Arky for two reasons:  1) Parents have more comfort with Traylor & Morris;  2) Many believe better hitting coaching at Arky Baseball than TCU and Texas.

We'll find out later this week.....

( Fong:  "I'm still hearing Arkansas for Mansfield (Texas) Legacy Top247 safety Jalen Catalon who announced this afternoon he'd be making his college commitment on Friday.  My 247Sports Crystal Ball has been with the Razorbacks since October and two sources reiterated they think it will be Arkansas when he makes his choice...... Catalon plans to play both football and baseball in college.")

Rivals Final 100

Texas Rankings
10) DeMarvin Leal
11) Theo Wease
18) Marcel Brooks
21) Trejan Bridges
22) Kenyon Green
30) Erick Young (got the last 5*)
32) Garrett Wilson
33) Jordan Whittington
53) Marcus Banks
54) Lewis Cine
62) Tyler Owens
84) Brian Williams
88) Dylan Wright
97) Tyler Johnson

Out of State Texas Commits
48) Jake Smith
77) Brayden Liebrock

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/2019

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I am 100% in agreement with Huck.  But to make sure we're doing this right, we need to know the preferred citation manual of the Recruiting Board. 

Depends on who's doing the posting. Data-heavy posters like Huck need to use APA, since they are closer to scientific in perspective. Those who are simply spinning yarns belong in the humanities department, and should be using MLA.

I, of course, will continue to never attribute anything. I've never met a joke I wouldn't steal and overuse to death.

OK? Cool
Hook'em.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1