Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted in the 2020 thread, but his brother is a pretty high rated OL recruit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Joshua-Braun-83391/

I think Josh is better than Damieon George, but Evans wants to play with George. Package deals rarely works out, we'll see what happens. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Georgia Tech grad transfer OL Parker Braun:

Reveal hidden contents

Here's what I've gathered on the recruitment of All-ACC graduate transfer Parker Braun from Georgia Tech:

• Herb Hand called Braun within an hour after seeing Parker's name in the portal. "I'll fly to Atlanta this weekend. Let's get together." Hand wasting no time tells you a lot about how they view Parker.
  • It's been conveyed to Braun that Texas is just a guard away. Just one, huh? That's a good sign.
  • It's pretty much a two-horse race between UT and UF, with Braun's parents seemingly more excited about Texas. Braun's dad, a hard-nosed old school o-line coach, is very impressed with Herman beating OU at U of H and at UT. There is already some familiarity with Herman as the Braun's visited U of H while living in Hallsville. They already like Herman from that meeting. Warehime, from his time as U of H's o-line coach, actually put in a good word for Parker to Hand.
  • The Florida visit this weekend is more of a unofficial visit for Josh, Parker's talented brother in the 2020 class. Florida is pushing P. Braun on the chance to play center. They've told him they need his intelligence and motor. Parker will be paying close attention to their OL coach and S&C coach. Dad knows about the OL coach, John Hevesy, from Parker's and his eldest brother Trey's recruitment by Auburn. He'll likely take a Florida official visit but if Texas blows him away UF likely won't be able to out-maneuver the Horns.
  • Miami has been mentioned in passing but the feeling is if they're going to jump on an airplane it might as well be to Austin.
  • The UT visit is indeed Feb 15th. Josh won't make it due to a scholastic event, the Braun's would have to pay his travel expenses, but if UT lands Parker, expect them to make a run at his highly rated younger brother.
  • Parker's Masters will be in History and Anthropology.

So, this one escalated pretty quickly. Things are shaping up well for Texas to land Parker, though it isn't quite a done deal.

Interesting. Hand must regard the RT spot as settled business. My guess is Kersetter is the starting RT, Okafor is the swing tackle. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ctj has dropped some Feaster hints. That's going to be a tough recruitment. I imagine every SEC school expect for Bama and UGA will be after him, plus most of the southern ACC schools. And then there's the possibility of Dabo talking him out of transferring on the tarmac. He's a darned good player, but a lot would have to go right for him to transfer to Texas. 

I wouldn’t be referencing Feaster as someone that might land here if I thought he was going to be recruited like a high schooler. He may not leave, but if he does, when I type that we’d have one of the best shots, it takes all of the anxieties you’ve posted into account. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn’t be referencing Feaster as someone that might land here if I thought he was going to be recruited like a high schooler. He may not leave, but if he does, when I type that we’d have one of the best shots, it takes all of the anxieties you’ve posted into account. 

Nice....

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT on Georgia Tech grad transfer OL Parker Braun:

Reveal hidden contents

Here's what I've gathered on the recruitment of All-ACC graduate transfer Parker Braun from Georgia Tech:

• Herb Hand called Braun within an hour after seeing Parker's name in the portal. "I'll fly to Atlanta this weekend. Let's get together." Hand wasting no time tells you a lot about how they view Parker.
  • It's been conveyed to Braun that Texas is just a guard away. Just one, huh? That's a good sign.
  • It's pretty much a two-horse race between UT and UF, with Braun's parents seemingly more excited about Texas. Braun's dad, a hard-nosed old school o-line coach, is very impressed with Herman beating OU at U of H and at UT. There is already some familiarity with Herman as the Braun's visited U of H while living in Hallsville. They already like Herman from that meeting. Warehime, from his time as U of H's o-line coach, actually put in a good word for Parker to Hand.
  • The Florida visit this weekend is more of a unofficial visit for Josh, Parker's talented brother in the 2020 class. Florida is pushing P. Braun on the chance to play center. They've told him they need his intelligence and motor. Parker will be paying close attention to their OL coach and S&C coach. Dad knows about the OL coach, John Hevesy, from Parker's and his eldest brother Trey's recruitment by Auburn. He'll likely take a Florida official visit but if Texas blows him away UF likely won't be able to out-maneuver the Horns.
  • Miami has been mentioned in passing but the feeling is if they're going to jump on an airplane it might as well be to Austin.
  • The UT visit is indeed Feb 15th. Josh won't make it due to a scholastic event, the Braun's would have to pay his travel expenses, but if UT lands Parker, expect them to make a run at his highly rated younger brother.
  • Parker's Masters will be in History and Anthropology.

So, this one escalated pretty quickly. Things are shaping up well for Texas to land Parker, though it isn't quite a done deal.

That's some positive news. Freshman all american in 2016 and 2x first team All ACC in 2017 and 2018. There's no highlight tapes of him in college, but I found one from HS and a condensed game from this year against Virginia, who had a pretty stout defense. His HS film actually reminds me a ton of Jake Majors. Hes' got extremely quick feet and great lower body flexibility, so he generates a ton of power out of his stance to make up for being a little bit smaller, and he's also really good at getting to the second level and locating a LB.

After watching the GT film, he's definitely good at pulling. lulz. There weren't a ton of plays where he was pass blocking or straight up man run blocking, but he did pretty well in the plays where he was, except for one play where he over extended in pass pro and got off balance. He should've been called for a hold on that play. 

I think he'll be fine in pass pro because he has quick feet and usually stays really balanced.  His pass blocking technique was pretty solid, except for that one play. He'll have to focus on it this offseason, but I don't think it'll be a problem. He'll also be fine when drive blocking, even though he's 280, because he's pretty elite at exploding out of his stance and generating a bunch of power. Honestly, I could see him struggling the most on certain zone runs, like outside zone because he won't be firing out of his stance as much and being a little short and underweight could hurt him in making certain reach blocks, but his feet are good enough that he should be able to mitigate that. I see why Herb Hand's all over him. I"d have a pretty hard time seeing him not be one of our 5 best linemen next year. 

GT-VA Game

Spoiler

HS Highlights

Spoiler

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That's some positive news. Freshman all american in 2016 and 2x first team All ACC in 2017 and 2018. There's no highlight tapes of him in college, but I found one from HS and a condensed game from this year against Virginia, who had a pretty stout defense. His HS film actually reminds me a ton of Jake Majors. Hes' got extremely quick feet and great lower body flexibility, so he generates a ton of power out of his stance to make up for being a little bit smaller, and he's also really good at getting to the second level and locating a LB.

After watching the GT film, he's definitely good at pulling. lulz. There weren't a ton of plays where he was pass blocking or straight up man run blocking, but he did pretty well in the plays where he was, except for one play where he over extended in pass pro and got off balance. He should've been called for a hold on that play. 

I think he'll be fine in pass pro because he has quick feet and usually stays really balanced.  His pass blocking technique was pretty solid, except for that one play. He'll have to focus on it this offseason, but I don't think it'll be a problem. He'll also be fine when drive blocking, even though he's 280, because he's pretty elite at exploding out of his stance and generating a bunch of power. Honestly, I could see him struggling the most on certain zone runs, like outside zone because he won't be firing out of his stance as much and being a little short and underweight could hurt him in making certain reach blocks, but his feet are good enough that he should be able to mitigate that. I see why Herb Hand's all over him. I"d have a pretty hard time seeing him not be one of our 5 best linemen next year. 

GT-VA Game

Reveal hidden contents

HS Highlights

Reveal hidden contents

Good stuff. Don't know if you already saw it, but I posted the Clemson game film upthread.

• Like 1

Damn, I can't believe that about Brown. My dad just had a stroke on the 3rd of January. Something I never thought twice about previously seems to be everywhere.

For what it's worth, the number one priority post-stroke is preventing stoke number 2. There is an extremely high rate of recurrence and a high mortality rate as the brain is weakened in the affected area. Most people go on blood thinner/anticoagulant (warfarin, eliquis etc.) for at least 6 months, and possibly for life depending on the situation.

My dad had an underlying heart condition that caused the stroke (atrial fibrillation). That root cause was determinative for his long term treatment plan. He was also a surgeon and had the stroke while operating, so he was treated in record time and only has symptoms of expressive aphasia (think of that feeling where the word is on the tip of your tongue, but with everything). He also has issues with complex tasks like high level math and chess (thinking ahead,  planning moves).

I can't imagine playing D1 RB in the near future if Brown did have a stroke. The risk of a second stroke and death coupled with anticoagulant treatment makes a physical contact sport seem like a distant future. Factor in the cognitive issues and possible motor function issues/rehab, and it's a long - yet doable - road to recovery. That sucks for the kid with his entire future ahead of him, but hopefully he pulls through without any long-lasting side effects. Football should be a distant secondary thought for now.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good stuff. Don't know if you already saw it, but I posted the Clemson game film upthread.

Nice. I should've though to look for that game first. He definitely doesn't look out of place against Clemson's DL, which is good. At :35, he handles 350 lb Dexter Lawrence (with a little help from the LT) on a drive block and shows that his explosion can make up for matchups where he lacks in size. He has a similar play at 1:00 where he owns 305 lb Albert Huggins on a drive block, pushing him back 3-4 yards. He also shows some nice fire at 13:10 after a Clemson player who got locked up by him rips his helmet off. Dude is a no doubt take. Awesome to hear that Hand was on him so fast. It's nice to have a great OL coach finally. Anyways, I was thinking about doing a breakdown of our returning starting offensive linemen, Cosmi and Shack at some point this offseason. If we get Braun, I might add him and Kerstetter (RT film from 2017) to the list. 

• Like 1

First of all, prayers to Brown. This is awful.

Regarding Braun, he's really good in the Ga Tech offense, but he's going to have to relearn a lot of about being an offensive lineman, but he'll likely improve as the season goes on. Assuming we land him. He'd get thrown into the fire against LSU in his new offense, but it'd be downhill from there.

Not sure how his brother fits in the OL class if we're having to take George, unless we're trying to fit six OL into the class 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

First of all, prayers to Brown. This is awful.

Regarding Braun, he's really good in the Ga Tech offense, but he's going to have to relearn a lot of about being an offensive lineman, but he'll likely improve as the season goes on. Assuming we land him. He'd get thrown into the fire against LSU in his new offense, but it'd be downhill from there.

Not sure how his brother fits in the OL class if we're having to take George, unless we're trying to fit six OL into the class 

I don't think this makes a difference for the brother much of any. They aren't going to be playing together so there isn't that pull

Terrible news for Derrian and the Brown family. Wishing him a complete recovery. Football might not part of his future anymore but he’ll get a medical scholarship to one of the best universities in the world and still has his whole life in front of him.

Back to football...

My guess at the RB depth chart is 

1. Ingram

2. Young

3. Whittington

4. K. Johnson

5+. Walk-ons 

Clearly not an ideal situation so a grad transfer would really help. It’s highly unlikely we can flip a top-tier HS RB this close to signing day. The most important thing at this point is for all these guys to put in the work during the off-season to get stronger and maintain their health during the season.

11 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Terrible news for Derrian and the Brown family. Wishing him a complete recovery. Football might not part of his future anymore but he’ll get a medical scholarship to one of the best universities in the world and still has his whole life in front of him.

Back to football...

1. Ingram

2. Young

3. Whittington

4. K. Johnson

5+. Walk-ons 

Clearly not an ideal situation so a grad transfer would really help. It’s highly unlikely we can flip a top-tier HS RB this close to signing day. The most important thing at this point is for all these guys to put in the work during the off-season to get stronger and maintain their health during the season.

Depending on how good the walkons are, I wonder if we'd see Foster and Smith get carries before them 

I think we could use a grad transfer here since we're one injury from one of the two volume backs (Ingram and Young) and Kirk Johnson from being pretty shallow there 

50 minutes ago, Fud said:

Depending on how good the walkons are, I wonder if we'd see Foster and Smith get carries before them 

I think we could use a grad transfer here since we're one injury from one of the two volume backs (Ingram and Young) and Kirk Johnson from being pretty shallow there 

Have to think that if any decent GT hits the market, we’ll be all over him and have a good chance of landing him base on opportunity alone.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Back to football...

1. Ingram

2. Young

3. Whittington

4. K. Johnson

5+. Walk-ons 

Yeah we need another stop gap. Any Tre Watsons out there this Spring?

IT

STATE OF RECRUITING 

The 2019 cycle comes to an end next week. In preparation the staff will host two official visits. If memory serves, those are the only officials between the first and second signing period.

Official Visits (2019)

Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (TEXAS): Though there was certainly some distortion in the message along the way, this boils down to what we heard earlier in the cycle: Whoever hosts Shepherd last will most likely earn his signature. Last but not least is UT with the visit. Something Texas also has going for it is Tyler Johnson, a player for Shepherd to mirror upon arrival. Johnson is seen as the type of positive influence to help Shepherd transition to college life. We never really thought Shepherd would go far from home and A&M is almost certainly going to come up short. Any report stating Jimbo Fisher backed off is as accurate as saying A&M backed off the SEC West title.

Shepherd was visited by Corby Meekins and Tom Herman on Thursday.

Lakia Henry, Garden City CC: It almost feels like the coaches intentionally played this recruitment similar to Shepherd's by wanting to get him in as late as possible. We always knew the staff liked Henry but they never rushed in, rather they just kept recruiting and ensured they got the final visit. We'll see what happens but we think there's a decent chance Texas defeats Arkansas and Ole Miss (it's certainly no lock, though).

Mikey Henderson, Carrollton Ranchview QB/ATH: Texas has done a tremendous job with Henderson from the get-go, though he was enamored with OU earlier in the season. Derek Warehime has built a good relationship which makes us wonder if the clearest evaluation is for H-back. He could be a linebacker or perhaps even defensive lineman too.

Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal - OL: The potential five-star is one of the top prospects in-state for any class but is a junior-to-be with a ton of upside. He's the 2021 Kenyon Green and we think UT is in as good a position as anyone.

As with most of these visitors lists, more names could surface over the next 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

How much eligibility does Parker Braun have left?

If it's just one year, he wouldn't play with his 2020 brother.

One year, but having him on campus (with good things to say about the program, university, and Austin) would obviously help with recruiting Josh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Feaster from Clemson if he decides to jump. Ty'son Williams from South Carolina looks pretty strong.

Bad pun here: 

Hope it's not "Feast er famine" for Texas picking up another RB for the 2019 FB Season.  

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

No need to rush or reach at this point, if one of the guys fits the scheme and need that's fine but the transfer market will heat up after spring practices. I imagine we will see several more talented RBs hit the portal once depth charts fluctuate and new coaching personalities move in to their roles during spring workouts. (Watson decided on Texas in May of last year). 

• Like 1