Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If anyone is interested in actual recruiting news, an FSU mod says that Texas is leading for grad transfer OT Drew Richmond.

This is what he said:

Still pursuing [Richmond], he's got a ton of interest, close to 40 offers. Spoke to someone close to his recruitment yesterday and was told Texas is the favorite to land him right now. Doesn't sound like FSU is gonna be the school, but I know Taggart has been speaking with him.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The premise that Beck is potentially going somewhere in the draft or will even make a practice squad is odd to me. His hands were okay. His speed is okay. His size is okay. His mental approach is okay (he had multiple penalties). His injury history is putrid. Outside of Herman being a big fan of the guy, what is there to motivate a roster spot?

Couldn’t the same or similar have been said about Swaim?

• Like 1

So Richmond (OT), Braun (OG), and Proctor (OC) seem to be our top choices? Any thoughts on who we'd prioritize first, assuming we're only taking 1? 247 has them ranked in the order I listed.

Edit: Perhaps we shouldn't count out Ashley (OT), given the mutual familiarity between him and Hand.

Edited by KYHorn

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We are also engaging Jonah Jackson. Not sure what’s happened on that front but he might be the best out of the group. I think he visited Ohio State recently. 

I think he's staying in the B1G, but National Recruiter of the Year Drew Mehringer used to be his OC so we at least have an in. 

• Like 2

Well, Christian Jones is a former soccer player, so I’d probably move him there first. After that, I bet Wilbon could do a pretty good Refrigerator Perry impersonation. And then we could move Sam to RB and have Thompson take over at QB, if we got really desperate.

What is this shit? Floyd to rb would be terrible but Foster wouldn’t be a bad move if the situation was dire (I doubt it would get to that level).

Foster was technically the top athlete in his class before being re-categorized as a safety when he insisted that’s his position of choice.

57 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

So Richmond (OT), Braun (OG), and Proctor (OC) seem to be our top choices? Any thoughts on who we'd prioritize first, assuming we're only taking 1? 247 has them ranked in the order I listed.

I know Hand was talking to Braun early and often but who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Couldn’t the same or similar have been said about Swaim?

Swaim had one high ceiling tool - his blocking capability. Guys get drafted late in every draft in every sport because they have one easily identified high ceiling tool. Beck has zero high ceiling tools besides "want to" or "moxie", and guys don't get drafted because of an intangible high ceiling tool unless their name is Tim Tebow.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Beck has zero high ceiling tools besides "want to" or "moxie"...

Sure he looked like a jumbo FB running around out there but he made some clutch catches for us last season.  Several clutch catches.  And he has toughness in spades.  What'd he have like 50 surgeries he had to come back from?  Damn tough kid.  Still not sure that translates to the next level but you never know.  I was very happy to have him last year though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Sure he looked like a jumbo FB running around out there but he made some clutch catches for us last season.  Several clutch catches.  And he has toughness in spades.  What'd he have like 50 surgeries he had to come back from?  Damn tough kid.  Still not sure that translates to the next level but you never know.  I was very happy to have him last year though.

I have no debate or qualms about Beck's value as a Longhorn player. I was disputing the premise that he's going to be drafted, and questioning the plausibility of him joining even a practice squad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

guys don't get drafted because of an intangible high ceiling tool unless their name is Tim Tebow.

"Butts in seats" aren't really intangible, though. You can measure them in U.S. Dollars.

Edit: Yes, I know, this doesn't apply in any way, shape, or form to Beck, other than maybe his family.

Edited by Walden Ponderer

28 minutes ago, Scholz said:

You have to think Beck ends up a FB if he makes it, very tough for me to believe he can be an NFL TE.

• Like 2