Texas recruiting notes 2019

17 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Introduces himself as a safety?

17 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Looks like an old video to me. Pretty cool. 

yeah no shit.  he says he’s 150 lbs  and he looks like he’s 13.  what the hell is wrong with you people 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I like this idea of kids visiting for spring break if they didn't line up a December graduation.

It is clear how much early enrollment helps when competing for spots, so this may become the way to have your second semester senior year and compete in the summer too.

tenor.gif?itemid=4295060

On 3/16/2019 at 2:47 PM, Goodman said:

What could you possibly do to be expelled from Bailey back then? 

Throwing around a horsehoe on the bus, hit the driver.. that was the last straw after a couple fights and apparently wearing a bandanna in my back pocket was frowned upon.  Just a kid doing stupid kid things.

(Chip Brown) Sources: Tate Martell ruling a positive for Texas' Bru McCoy

AUSTIN, Texas — Before filing a waiver with the NCAA on behalf of five-star athlete/receiver Bru McCoy, University of Texas officials were watching and waiting to see if there was anything to be learned in how the NCAA ruled on two, high-profile eligibility waivers: Ohio State transfer quarterback Justin Fields and Miami (Fla.) transfer quarterback Tate Martell. On Tuesday, the NCAA granted the eligibility waiver of Martell after granting the waiver of Fields last month, meaning both won't have to sit out one year under standard NCAA guidelines and will instead be able to take the field for the Hurricanes and Buckeyes this fall. Fields transferred to Ohio State after playing his freshman season at Georgia in 2018. After Fields transferred to Ohio State, Martell transferred from Ohio State to Miami.

A source close to McCoy's situation at Texas told Horns247.com on Tuesday UT officials wanted to wait and see how the NCAA ruled on the waivers of Martell and Fields in case there were any details or deficiencies in those waivers that Texas compliance officials needed to consider before filing McCoy's eligibility waiver. The decision to wait on the Fields and Martell rulings wasn't so much about any similarities in the circumstances surrounding their transfers as much as it was about any tendencies in the way the NCAA was ruling on those cases.

The NCAA doesn't exactly come out and explain itself in these matters. But it's safe to say Texas officials see Martell and Fields being granted immediate eligibility as a good sign for McCoy, a 2019 five-star recruit who initially enrolled early at USC before deciding to pack up days later and enroll early at Texas.

McCoy selected USC over Texas, in part, because former Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury was hired as the Trojans' offensive coordinator on Dec. 4 and helped convince McCoy to pick the Trojans. McCoy then enrolled early at USC. Literally, one day after spring semester classes started for McCoy at USC on Jan. 7, Kingsbury accepted the Arizona Cardinals' head-coaching job on Jan. 8.

According to sources close to the situation, McCoy felt he was deceived by USC in more ways than Kingsbury appearing and then disappearing from the Trojans' coaching staff in the span of roughly one month. McCoy had seen enough. On Thursday, Jan. 24, McCoy entered the new, NCAA transfer portal, packed up his USC dorm room and was on a flight to Austin that weekend, so he could enroll and begin classes at Texas on Monday, Jan. 28.

USC hired North Texas offensive coordinator and former Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell to run its offense on Feb. 4. "You see the Justin Fields waiver ruling, and it puts a smile on your face," one Texas source close to the situation told Horns247 last month. "Now, what the NCAA has done is set precedent in these transfer portal matters."

Horns247 has been reporting since late January  that Texas officials felt confident about the basis for McCoy's eligibility waiver, which will now be filed with the NCAA, sources said. Longhorns' coach Tom Herman addressed McCoy's situation briefly last month. "I think every situation is unique, you know," Herman said. "I applaud Bru and his courageousness to say, hey, this is not where my heart is, and I'm going to do something to change that. But as far as timetable, I have no idea. I would assume before the season starts. Then, my role, very minimal. I mean, this is a student-athlete, their family, along with our compliance department kind of getting all of the ducks in a row as far as the appeals process is concerned."

McCoy’s recruitment was thought to be over when he announced for the Trojans during the All-American Bowl. USC was the childhood favorite for McCoy and where he had been leaning since his recruitment first started as a freshman in high school. He took visits to UCLA and Washington as well but Texas and USC were always at the top of his board. Texas did an incredible job recruiting McCoy and he was consistent in saying he was closer with the UT staff than any other and specifically, Longhorns WR coach Drew Mehringer.

McCoy was rated the No. 9 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite for 2019 and won several post-season awards, including CalHiSports Player of the Year, Maxwell National Offensive Player of the Year and MaxPreps National Player of the Year.

The one thing I don't like about this scenario is that any kid who gets butt hurt over a coach leaving is going to knee jerk react and put their name in the transfer portal. If Herman is smart, he will have some of his analyst staff working as internal recruiters. They can't recruit unsigned players, but the rules say nothing about ones already on your team. On the positive side, it could lead to a little more transparency from coaches during the recruiting process to help lessen the blow of a coaching change. 

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The one thing I don't like about this scenario is that any kid who gets butt hurt over a coach leaving is going to knee jerk react and put their name in the transfer portal. If Herman is smart, he will have some of his analyst staff working as internal recruiters. They can't recruit unsigned players, but the rules say nothing about ones already on your team. On the positive side, it could lead to a little more transparency from coaches during the recruiting process to help lessen the blow of a coaching change. 

To me a coach leaving would be an appropriate time to get butt hurt and look elsewhere.   When we had these discussions pre portal the consensus is usually they should be allowed to leave in that scenario.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The one thing I don't like about this scenario is that any kid who gets butt hurt over a coach leaving is going to knee jerk react and put their name in the transfer portal.

Completely agree, and I'll take it a step further and say that I also hate that they can do so without ever having talking to the Head Coach or anyone on the coaching staff.  They can also request to have all communication with the coaching staff blocked.  I think this part sends the wrong message to these kids/athletes.  Part of the decision process in transferring should be the athlete having the tough conversation with the coaching staff.  For me, it's a growth and maturity things, as well as responsibility.  You know, the things this next generation of kids is severely lacking, and this just further gives them a platform to tuck tail and run from adversity, as opposed to dealing with it head on and learning to handle the consequences either way.

13 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Completely agree, and I'll take it a step further and say that I also hate that they can do so without ever having talking to the Head Coach or anyone on the coaching staff.  They can also request to have all communication with the coaching staff blocked.  I think this part sends the wrong message to these kids/athletes.  Part of the decision process in transferring should be the athlete having the tough conversation with the coaching staff.  For me, it's a growth and maturity things, as well as responsibility.  You know, the things this next generation of kids is severely lacking, and this just further gives them a platform to tuck tail and run from adversity, as opposed to dealing with it head on and learning to handle the consequences either way.

I think committing to a coach who promised them he'd be around, and then leaves, is precisely the time to evaluate one's options in life. If something similar happened in a professional setting, you'd damn well be looking at getting a new job.

I think needing to sit out a year is fine, or else things get really chaotic, but a way to block the staff badgering you through the process is a nice feature.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Huh? What part of this has to do with maturity or responsibility? This is like giving your two week notice at a job in the real world. If you are a disgruntled employee intent on leaving, you don't have any responsibility to listen to anyone at your company. The only thing these guys aren't learning is that outside of college football they are unlikely to have this sort of leverage in the real world. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh Jesus H. Christ stfu.

You laugh, but he's totally right. As a Millennial, I had to walk to school uphill both ways and really WORK to get ahead in life. Not like these Gen Z kids at all. They probably learned from those lazy Boomers.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

On 3/20/2019 at 12:19 PM, texashorn13 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, texashorn13 said:

For me, it's a growth and maturity things, as well as responsibility.  You know, the things this next generation of kids is severely lacking, and this just further gives them a platform to tuck tail and run from adversity, as opposed to dealing with it head on and learning to handle the consequences either way.

297.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

You laugh, but he's totally right. As a Millennial, I had to walk to school uphill both ways and really WORK to get ahead in life. Not like these Gen Z kids at all. They probably learned from those lazy Boomers.

Damn right. Those fuckin Gen Zers don’t know how good they have it. Bunch of spoiled brats with no people skills or work ethic.  Back in my day, we went outside and played real sports instead of playing x-station all day and paying to watch some blue haired kid named assassin play Fort Legends all day and make millions.

These kids are gonna make today’s perfect society that we’ve built go to shit.

• Like 1

So I checked your posting history, and you have no posts decrying when a coach cuts off communication with his players, takes a new job and leaves without having the tough conversation with all of his players; you know, tucking tail and running from adversity without learning to handle consequences and sending the wrong message.

But you think it’s bad if a player does it.

Got it. 

🙄

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

So I checked your posting history, and you have no posts decrying when a coach cuts off communication with his players, takes a new job and leaves without having the tough conversation with all of his players; you know, tucking tail and running from adversity without learning to handle consequences and sending the wrong message.
Got it. 

He’s right, you know.

58 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Got it. 

🙄

coaches and students are not on the same plane, dickbreath.  sorry that hurts your delicate vagina. 

• Fuck You 1

Decided to look around and see if I could find any Clemson practice reports. Found this one from two weeks ago, just prior to their Spring Break.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Clemson-spring-practice-scrimmage-Derion-Kendrick-cornerback--130043415/

Money quote from our POV: Swinney did sneak in a couple compliments: "Lyn-J Dixon continues to splash. I thought Tavien Feaster ran the ball well. I thought Chase Brice made a couple of nice plays." 

Didn't find too much else...their Spring Game is in two weeks.

Regarding never having to talk to the head coach it's like when some coaching staffs decide they don't like one of their commits anymore and decide the best way is to ghost them until the recruit de-commits 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826911-ranking-the-top-10-freshmen-for-the-2019-college-football-season#slide0

8. Bru McCoy, Texas Wide Receiver

The hype surrounding Texas wide receiver Bru McCoy is immense, especially considering how his first few months of college football played out.

The 5-star athlete committed to the USC Trojans at the All-America Bowl, enrolling in school a short time later. It didn't take long for him to change his mind.

After offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury left for the Arizona Cardinals in January, McCoy transferred to Texas, a school that finished runner-up for his services the first time. 

Now, there's optimism McCoy will get an NCAA hardship waiver to play immediately, much like what happened with Ohio State's Justin Fields and Miami's Tate Martell. If that happens, Texas will get an instant-impact stud.

The Longhorns are integrating McCoy into the offense this spring with hopes he'll be ready. If so, there's a good chance he'll be in the rotation if not a starting weapon for quarterback Sam Ehlinger. With Lil'Jordan Humphrey gone, there are receptions to go around.

Coach Tom Herman can't stop gushing about McCoy.

"You should see the kid in the weight room," Herman told 247Sports' Jeff Howe. "He's grunting and groaning and screaming. He's not afraid to work," also mentioning McCoy is "just a great kid that happens to be a 5-star athlete."

It's not just lip service. McCoy is a physically gifted talent and is ready to be a star. If the NCAA ruling is favorable, he will be.