Texas recruiting notes 2019

On 8/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, Machinator said:

This thread appears to have been Giles'd for the rest of the day. Much like the basketball board occasionally gets Derka'd.

FIFY This thread appears to have been Giles'd for the rest of the day. Much like the basketball board occasionally always gets Derka'd.

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Gbenda reminds me of that LB who came out of Nebraska a few years ago. Lavonte David. I don’t know if he has the speed though. 

Considering he was a 2x All-American and is a Pro Bowl linebacker, that is a very good comp.

44 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

To be fair, Giles doesn't appear to be pushing for anyone.

This one got me. Hahahahaha. 

I offered my thoughts on Carter and what's happening in posts a few pages back and they stand. That said, the level of dark comedy Giles unintentionally brings to the recruiting side of things is off the charts. He's almost like a performance artist.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

EJ: Quick Sunday update on Tufono 

Hide contents

I'm starting to feel like it is going to be USC for Tufono. Still, he hasn't told the Texas staff no, which is a little weird since he has a close relationship with recruiting assistant Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. I wouldn't say Texas has lost optimism, but it looks like there is more confidence on the USC side with 24 hours to go until a decision. I haven't flipped my CB pick because we still haven't gotten a hard no that it won't be Texas. Looks like Tufono is really trying to keep everyone, including the schools, guessing.

Comment

Reveal hidden contents

Bootross said... (original post)

Nothing against u ej- just Fong seems to put in late and only when he gets word. Love for him to be wrong. On another note- the shh surprise or expected?

Like I said, both USC and Texas felt confident. Steve felt more confident in USC's confidence and everything else he was able to gather. He's great at his job and probably the guy I respect the most in this industry. I'm fine taking the L and giving him the W in a recruitment like this.

But Texas did/still feels optimistic about the situation. This isn't like an ordinary recruitment. Usually, the kid will tell the other finalists no — again I'm surprised this hasn't happened because of Langi's relationship with him. And I felt optimistic as well obviously as I put in the CB because of how well Texas recruited the kid, Langi's ties and what I heard out of Hawaii.

I think you can decipher the shhh based on what I've posted lately.

Also it's definitely sounding like the shhh is Gbenda

If Tufono still hasn't told the staff and he has decided to go to USC, then I would like a strong Polynesian why.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

IT

STATE OF RECRUITING

The Longhorns Class of 2019 is currently at 15 pledges in the first few days of August. That could change by the end of the week.

The flyin' Hawaiian LB, Mani Tufono, is announcing today. The 4-star poly stud has long stated how Texas has recruited him the hardest. With recruiting analyst Jake Langi's ties, De'Gabriel Floyd recruiting like it's his job, and Todd Orlando's linebacker friendly sets, UT has put together a quality recruiting pitch. And with their success in Cali thus far, it's not far-fetched to see them gather more west coast prospects like Scipio Tex so eloquently penned.

Unfortunately, don't expect us at Tufono's hat ceremony no matter how bad Eric and I tried to persuade Clendon. But that doesn't mean UT is done in California.

They're still going after Bru McCoy (Mater Dei), Mase Funa (Mater Dei), Daniel Heimuli (Menlo Park), and Lakia Henry (Dodge City CC, Tennessee pledge). You might see a few new LB offers from the Golden State in the coming months. Texas wants four in this class, with two already in the fold - Floyd and Marcus Tillman (Orlando).

One guy to watch closely is Cinco Ranch's David Gbenda. He's visited Austin a couple times this year, with his father tripping last time and absolutely loving the Texas coaching staff and trend line of the program. With his speed and quickness, his versatility would fit nicely in Orlando's schemes. TCU has been pushing hard of late, with A&M keeping him warm, but I like UT's chances with the 4-star from the Katy area.

Another guy to look for is Trinity Catholic's (Cedar Hill) safety, Lewis Cine. Craig Naivar is a big fan of the 6-foot-2, downhill defensive back. With Chris Adimora already in the fold, I feel as if the Horns are looking to finish with Cine and Jalen Catalon, who I'm going to see this week.

It's my belief that Cine is down to Georgia and Texas, with Penn State also in the mix. I'm not positive he's take on Georgia's big board at this moment either.

As for Catalon, watch out for Arkansas. They took one of his teammates, Enoch Jackson, last weekend and will likely grab Taurean Carter too. Hell, Chad Morris would take the Legacy HS band if it helped steal Catalon. I still feel good about Texas here, but Jalen will take his officials and UT has to maintain that advantage. Thankfully, Naivar has absolutely built the best bond with Catalon and his family. The baseball angle helps here as well.

At running back, it looks as if UT is gaining serious ground with Buford (GA) tailback Derrian Brown.

He's looking at a UOV in late August when the dead period and taking an official to Austin on 9/15 when the Horns host USC. The only question here is how many RBs that Herman will take in 2019. Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, both of whom will take officials to Austin, have a committable offer until NSD.

If Texas sticks with one this cycle, look for them to snag two in 2020 with Zach Evans the top priority, and guys like Ty Jordan and Mookie Cooper (Texas likes him everywhere - APB, slot, KR/PR) at the top of the big board.

It will suck if we don't get Tufono, but if we come in second you have to count that as a win. When was the last time we came in second for a national recruit from Hawaii? It shows how hard our staff is working and we should be proud of that even if we don't land the commitment. We're going to win the recruiting olympics with all these silver medals, you just wait and see. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It will suck if we don't get Tufono, but if we come in second you have to count that as a win. When was the last time we came in second for a national recruit from Hawaii? It shows how hard our staff is working and we should be proud of that even if we don't land the commitment. We're going to win the recruiting olympics with all these silver medals, you just wait and see. 

Did you copy and paste this from Texags?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

We already have two ESPN top 300 linebackers and most likely will add another one soon. Why does it feel like our LB haul is average?

No one pays attention to ESPN rankings, and Tillman was so leftfield that no one had time to get hyped about him before he was in the boat.

Floyd is a dang animal, though, no one's got any problem with that take.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Prepare yourself for a strong Polynesian cry.

Am I missing something that indicates his intention to go to USC? I guess we'll find out soon. 

Its a big miss if we can't land him... but I'd have to assume a large part of that would be the distance factor - Austin is a second plane ride away.