Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I noticed that Carrington was following the Joko Willis kid yesterday that EJ mentioned and checked him out. Good length and athleticism, and does linebacker things. Looks good to me, although I have no idea how he'd fit in regards to linebacker numbers. If we're going to throw numbers at a position group this class, that's the one to do it 

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Leal is gone. Giles’d 

Wasn't Herman running that recruitment himself? I think sometimes you just miss on a kid and there really isn't much you can do about it. I am not sure he wouldn't have gone aggy even if we had a stud DL recruiter. 

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Wasn't Herman running that recruitment himself? I think sometimes you just miss on a kid and there really isn't much you can do about it. I am not sure he wouldn't have gone aggy even if we had a stud DL recruiter. 

He still misread that recruitment, given that he didn't put Jason Washington on the case until after Leal committed.

Whatever. The damage is done. I'm done talking about it for now.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He still misread that recruitment, given that he didn't put Jason Washington on the case until after Leal committed.

Whatever. The damage is done. I'm done talking about it for now.

Isn't his mother keen on Texas? (<--- Edit: that's an honest question, btw. I had seen it mentioned a couple of times a ways back, not sure how much truth there is to that, or if she's also just as keen on A'n 'Em)

I'm like you, not worried about it for now, but moms win out a lot in these decisions, so we're always in it if that's the case. 

Edited by UncleBuck

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Isn't his mother keen on Texas?

I'm like you, not worried about it for now, but moms win out a lot in these decisions, so we're always in it if that's the case. 

His mom loves Texas, and likes A&M. He loves A&M, and likes Texas. 

I waffle on whether to be upset with our lack of recruits (or the missing out on certain recruits, Leal, Wilson, etc.) and having an "all is well" attitude.  Realistically, I know that this class isn't done and what happens to finish out this class is going to define it.  I do like the base and I like where we are being able to take 10-12 more commits.

I just hope the season matters to some of these guys and that if we kick some ass on the field some minds are going to change.  I don't think I can go through another disappointing season regardless of how it affects recruiting so I won't even go there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I waffle on whether to be upset with our lack of recruits (or the missing out on certain recruits, Leal, Wilson, etc.) and having an "all is well" attitude.  Realistically, I know that this class isn't done and what happens to finish out this class is going to define it.  I do like the base and I like where we are being able to take 10-12 more commits.

I just hope the season matters to some of these guys and that if we kick some ass on the field some minds are going to change.  I don't think I can go through another disappointing season regardless of how it affects recruiting so I won't even go there.

What's with this reasoned and logical approach...fucking new guys...

• Fuck You 1

Isn't his mother keen on Texas? (  
Its been a whioe since he committed, pretty sure she's probably resigned to the fact her son wants to tie the family to aggy forever...and has learned to accept it and make the best of things. And I'm also sure plenty of aggy has been filling her head with all sorts of fairy tales about the greatness of joining the largest cult in Texas..

26 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:
Isn't his mother keen on Texas? (  

Its been a whioe since he committed, pretty sure she's probably resigned to the fact her son wants to tie the family to aggy forever...and has learned to accept it and make the best of things. And I'm also sure plenty of aggy has been filling her head with all sorts of fairy tales about the greatness of joining the largest cult in Texas..

Oh, I'm not holding my breath. I just think a 9+ win season for us and a 5-ish win season for them, maybe Mom starts side-eyeing her boy about the Aggys.

Edited by UncleBuck

19 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Oh, I'm not holding my breath. I just think a 9+ win season for us and a 5-ish win season for them, maybe Mom starts side-eyeing her boy about the Aggys.

Fisher is going to get a pass his first year just like Herman did. I don't think either team's record is going to make a difference unless we go on some miraculous run to the playoffs. If A&M loses badly to Clemson and Bama, you just tell the kid "If you were out there playing, we would have won. You're the difference. And you can come in and start next year."

Was it my imagination, or were there fewer flips last year because of the early signing period? We obviously don't have a big enough sample size to draw conclusions, but I think we are going to see fewer flips going forward. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This may be true.  Is the aggy d-line supposed to be the strength of their defense though?

On a separate note, I am interested in watching the overall development physically between the Moore twins.  It will be a good case study in the difference strength training programs between the two schools.  This should be a powerful selling point between us and aggy.  Hopefully, it works in our favor (I think it will) and is exploited to its fullest potential.

1 hour ago, UTEX90 said:

I waffle on whether to be upset with our lack of recruits (or the missing out on certain recruits, Leal, Wilson, etc.) and having an "all is well" attitude. 

We don't have a lack of recruits, but we have certainly missed out on some key recruits. I make no excuses for us missing on key recruits because it absolutely should not happen at Texas. That said, we would be foolish to have our class full or 90% full right now. That allows no flexibility in taking late bloomers or backing off of guys who obviously won't pan out.

There are certain aggie commits that I wish would come here, but they have bread in the bunch and little margin for error with few remaining spots open. I know, a bird in the hand and all that, but that bit us a lot with Mack, especially at the end.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

This may be true.  Is the aggy d-line supposed to be the strength of their defense though?

On a separate note, I am interested in watching the overall development physically between the Moore twins.  It will be a good case study in the difference strength training programs between the two schools.  This should be a powerful selling point between us and aggy.  Hopefully, it works in our favor (I think it will) and is exploited to its fullest potential.

I saw the Moore boys a couple times in person -though I'm sure we all have access to Hudl so my opinion really doesn't mean more- but in person Agmoore (Jordan) always had the better build, more physical than Ourmoore (Breaking news, I know). But I'm already seeing and reading that Ourmoore is beefing up. Ourmoore has a lot of room to grow compared to his bro, though his bro should do just fine.

Edited by UncleBuck

33 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Fisher is going to get a pass his first year just like Herman did. I don't think either team's record is going to make a difference unless we go on some miraculous run to the playoffs. If A&M loses badly to Clemson and Bama, you just tell the kid "If you were out there playing, we would have won. You're the difference. And you can come in and start next year."

Was it my imagination, or were there fewer flips last year because of the early signing period? We obviously don't have a big enough sample size to draw conclusions, but I think we are going to see fewer flips going forward. 

Don't think it has to be a playoff run. I think if we beat USC and OU, win 10 regular season games (not what I'm predicting though) and play in a high profile bowl game, we end up flipping a few guys we were in on, or getting a few high profile kids that we weren't in on before. Even then, I don't see how we end up any higher than 5. Georgia and Bama are all guaranteed to end up with higher ranked classes. Clemson, Ohio State, Aggy and OU are also likely to end up with higher-ranked classes assuming Urban doesn't get canned. Even with a 10/11-win kind of season. And still, if we only win 6 or 7 regular season games, I can see this class falling apart. People taking a definitive stance on where the class will rank don't know shit. If I were betting on where we end up today, I'd say somewhere between 9-12.  

And yes, I agree that it seems like there were fewer flips last year.

25 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

And still, if we only win 6 or 7 regular season games, I can see this class falling apart.

21 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That worries the shit out of me. The staff too, probably.

I thought we weren't going there.

Edited by UTEX90

47 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We don't have a lack of recruits, but we have certainly missed out on some key recruits. I make no excuses for us missing on key recruits because it absolutely should not happen at Texas. That said, we would be foolish to have our class full or 90% full right now. That allows no flexibility in taking late bloomers or backing off of guys who obviously won't pan out.

There are certain aggie commits that I wish would come here, but they have bread in the bunch and little margin for error with few remaining spots open. I know, a bird in the hand and all that, but that bit us a lot with Mack, especially at the end.  

Agreed. Our class isn’t bad. We’ve brought in some outstanding out-of-state talent and we have room to grow with late quality. It’s frustrating because we’re getting beaten in-state at possitions of need, which should NEVER happen. FCB. But I like it better than the days when Mack jumped all over Trey Hopkins and Dom Espinosa in May and then never offered Luke Joeckel. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That said, we would be foolish to have our class full or 90% full right now. That allows no flexibility in taking late bloomers or backing off of guys who obviously won't pan out.

Agree with all of this

58 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We don't have a lack of recruits, but we have certainly missed out on some key recruits. I make no excuses for us missing on key recruits because it absolutely should not happen at Texas.

Agree AND disagree. Agree because really there is no excuse, it shouldn't have come to this. Disagree because unfortunately "this is Texas" isn't working by itself today.

Excited to see it turn around, but freaking nervous they'll lose it.

ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING LEAL AND ERRYBODY

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Completely agree.  I think TH and staff were caught off-guard how quickly A&M was able to gather momentum and it likely cost us some recruits we'd love to have.  It also seems pretty obvious they're willing to roll the dice on a very good season this year and the momentum that will ensue if we do.  I think it's at least 9 regular season wins to move the meter with this years recruits.  8 wins is expected, 7 under-performing.  It'll take at least 9 to get the attention of those on the fence and waiting to see how things play out.

40 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Completely agree.  I think TH and staff were caught off-guard how quickly A&M was able to gather momentum and it likely cost us some recruits we'd love to have.  It also seems pretty obvious they're willing to roll the dice on a very good season this year and the momentum that will ensue if we do.  I think it's at least 9 regular season wins to move the meter with this years recruits.  8 wins is expected, 7 under-performing.  It'll take at least 9 to get the attention of those on the fence and waiting to see how things play out.

Why did Carter choose A&M over OU? What did OU coaches have to say about it?

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Why did Carter choose A&M over OU? What did OU coaches have to say about it?

He likes living off campus, taking all online classes, smoking weed all day long, eating Kroger crab legs on free crab leg day and spending the Fed Ex cash on hookers and blow.  The OU coaches tweeted that he was a lowlife liar with shitty tires.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick in for elite 2021 Parish Episcopal quarterback Preston Stone. Of course, it’s very early in this recruitment and a lot will depend on how UT performs this season and beyond, but I really like where the Longhorns stand right now. Stone loves offensive coordinator Tim Beck and has built a strong bond with him early on. Texas doesn’t offer underclassmen this early, so that should tell you how high the staff is on him as a prospect. Stone is looking to visit Texas when the Longhorns take on USC on Sept. 15.
— We reported earlier today that four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown might commit before the end of the month. Nothing is for certain, but if he does move up his timeline, I can’t imagine it won’t be Texas. The Longhorns have made him a priority and are recruiting him harder than any other program at this time. His recruiter Jason Washington actually exchanged some messages with Brown today, and I feel very confident in my Crystal Ball pick. Penn State is the other school to watch.
— Texas is starting to recruit Georgia more and more, and it’s obvious that linebacker is still a need this cycle. So it’s no surprise that the Longhorns are carefully evaluating three-star 2019 Trap County (GA) inside linebacker Joko Willis. He holds offers from Arkansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Syracuse, Texas A&M and a handful of others. He is one to watch.
— Four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive lineman Prince Dorbah has Texas in his top group early on. That list also includes Arkansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Dorbah has remained in frequent contact with Oscar Giles and Bryan Carrington and will see Texas in action twice this season — against USC on Sept. 15 and against Oklahoma in Dallas on Oct. 6.

I’m not sure how I feel about having a QB named “Preston”. That’s dangerously close to “Spaulding”.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m not sure how I feel about having a QB named “Preston”. That’s dangerously close to “Spaulding”.

Considering we've been run by some uberdoosh named Baker, I'm not going to fret over it just yet. Not saying I wouldn't draw the line at Winthorpe. 

23 minutes ago, futureman said:

literally fuck your own face

Not really sure what your problem is. Thought his approach was rational and then made a joke about a long time community member with a low post count because of the forum change that apparently didn't land. Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit.