Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is correct. It was a weird way to soothe the subs' butthurt.

Which is Kind of funny if you think about it. He is basically saying that Texas, even if not fully bought into a recruit, can flip any of TCU’s recruits at will. I bet we are directly responsible for 30 points of Patterson’s blood pressure.

TFB Open Post, with a good write-up on scholarship numbers and clarity on WR recruiting: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-9th-11th/

2019 Scholarship Numbers and Early Enrollees
– Will Baizer

With the commitment of Peyton Powell, I’ve seen some questions about class size for the 2019 cycle. Texas right now sits with 20 commits.

The NCAA limit for class size in FBS is 25 players. However, up to five early enrollees are allowed to count toward the previous class.

The NCAA allows FBS schools 85 scholarship players on a roster. By my count, Texas currently sits at 77 scholarship players.

19 count toward 2015
18 count toward 2016
20 count toward 2017
21 count toward 2018.

Texas in the 2018 class had 27 enrollees, lost OG Mikey Grandy, and had nine early enrollees (only five count toward 2017). That means the 2018 class takes up 21 spots (as shown above).

Texas will be losing 17 scholarship players due to graduation.

85 scholarships – (77 scholarships – 17 scholarships) = 27 scholarships.

However, you’re only allowed 25 scholarships. So Texas can fill up the 25 scholarship spots and then have four early enrollees to count towards the 2018 class to fill that up to 25 scholarship spots.

Therefore, Texas’ max class size this year would be 29 with four early enrollees. This gives Texas room for nine more commits.

I went through and asked each commit of the 2019 class so far whether or not they will be enrolling early.

– ILB De’Gabriel Floyd
– WR Jordan Whittington
– DE Peter Mpagi
– TE Jared Wiley
– QB Roschon Johnson
– OLB Marcus Tillman Jr.

As stated above, only four of these guys will count towards the 2018 class.

Where does Texas need the most help in this 2019 class?

Based on scholarship numbers, they desperately need numbers at center, linebacker, defensive line, and probably wide receiver. Each of these spots could use one or two more players in the 2019 class to help out.

Taking a closer look at each of these positions…

Defensive Line and Offensive Line

Texas just lost out on one of their four defensive tackle offers as Rodas Johnson recently chose Wisconsin. DeMarvin Leal is a long shot at this point. Faatui Tuitele is also a long shot here, and will likely not end up a Longhorn. This leaves Texas probably evaluating film after the high school football season ends and offering based off of late evaluations or looking for a JUCO/Grad Transfer quick fix.

That is also how offensive line recruiting will likely shake out. We’re already seeing it with the late evaluation of Isaiah Hofkin who picked up an offer last weekend and the offer sent out to JUCO OT Myron Cunningham. It appears that Herb Hand is a fan of the athletic offensive tackle type body that he can shape into an offensive guard.

Wide Receiver

With the addition of Marcus Washington, I think Texas would still be willing to take one more in this class. They would obviously prefer it be Bru McCoy, but Kennedy Lewis would be a take for them as well.

Linebacker

With the departure of Texas’ two starting LBs, Texas will likely move Jeffrey McCulloch back into that spot. They’ll still want some depth in that position as time goes on.

Texas will still pursue ILB Shammond Cooper out of St. Louis, but it looks like this one will come down to one of three options: late cycle evaluations (i.e. second National Signing Day), JUCO, or graduate transfer.

They are already looking at JUCO OLB Caleb Johnson. Johnson did pick up the Oregon offer, which made life difficult for Texas, but they haven’t moved on just yet meaning they still feel confident.

Sanders, Cain, Hookfin, Warren | Notebook
– Super K

I’m currently in the airport in Florida about to head back to Texas. Below are a few quick notes which Ill expand on in the next day or so.

***Checked in with recent 2019 OT offer, Isaiah Hookfin and he tells me that he has cancelled this weekend’s Arizona State official visit. Hookfin has a few different visits that he is looking at potentially taking but he says right now the Texas official visit is the only one he is certain he will take.

For anyone questioning Hookfin’s size, look at him standing next to high 4-star OT, Tyler Johnson who is listed at 6’5.

CBF706A7-A994-4253-8D12-A4C9D3741A3D.jpe

***Yesterday, I stopped by IMG Academy in Bradenton (FL) to see Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. Had a chance to speak to both at length.

I spoke with them both separately and it was interesting that both put a big emphasis on Stan Drayton being a really key part of their interest in Texas. Both responses were very much unprompted…

On Sanders, one of the things that really caught my attention in our discussion is that he only has one official that he knows he will take which is the visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl. He’s already taken the official visit to Texas. The fact that those are the two visits he is/was certain about was telling to me.

With Cain, despite the loss this past weekend, he’s impressed with the direction Texas is going. One of the things with him that caught my attention is that despite having an OV set to Ohio State, he admitted that their current situation with all the issues surrounding Urban Meyer is very much a concern.

Both are announcing on ESPN in December. Again, more on this later.

***Texas needs defensive linemen in a big way. They have an excellent target in 2019 DE, Myron Warren (Many, LA). As I mentioned last week, Warren will visit Texas for the Iowa State game.

The thing we were watching, however, was whether LSU would offer. He was at the LSU vs. Alabama game this past weekend. I checked with him after the visit and he said that LSU did not offer nor did they discuss an offer with him.

As long as LSU doesn’t offer, Texas has a good shot. Though, as I previously noted, his family is originally from the Austin area. So, while LSU would likely be the favorite if they offered, I’m not sure it would be a foregone conclusion.

Wide Receivers Coming in & Going out | Lewis, Lil Jordan & More 
– Super K

As Charlie mentioned yesterday, 2019 wide receiver, Kennedy Lewis (Melissa, TX) is scheduled to announce his commitment tomorrow and if Texas is in a position to take Lewis, we expect Texas to be the choice.

But can Texas take him?

That’s a question I have yet to received a definitive answer on but it’s sounding like there are some real numbers issues they are contending with that could put Texas in a position to need to delay things.

***First, based on conversations with folks around Lil Jordan Humphrey, I had always believed he would leave after this season. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to him and it sounds like that is no longer a foregone conclusion. I was told very simply that it will depend on his draft grade. I was also told that the family and people around LJ will sit down and discuss things after the season but that the decision has not been made.

If I’m hearing that then surely the Texas staff also knows that there is still a possibility he will return and if that happens, it will affect their numbers.

***Secondly, there is still uncertainty about whether Collin Johnson will stay or go. Between LJ and Collin, Collin was the one I would’ve assumed would stay. From what I gather the staff doesn’t know what he’s going to do and surmise Collin himself hasn’t made that decision. So again, you have another factor to consider when looking at the wide receiver numbers.

***Bru McCoy. You have to take Bru McCoy regardless. And Texas’ primary competition in this one is a team whose OC was recently stripped of his play calling duties. Things are not stable there at the moment. In other words, Texas has to account for the real possibility that Bru McCoy could occupy a scholarship spot next season.

***And, you still have Elijah Higgins on the board. As Charlie mentioned, we get the sense that Texas probably feels Elijah is headed to Stanford if he gets in. But, an announcement hasn’t happened yet. Also, the latest we heard from Elijah was that he had not gotten word from Stanford yet.

***I do believe that Texas very much likes Kennedy Lewis but I’m really curious to see how this plays out tomorrow (updated below by Charlie) because there are a ton of variables at the moment with both recruits that Texas has been recruiting for much longer than Lewis and players currently on campus. Best case scenario for Texas would have probably been for Lewis to have delayed his commitment timeline a bit so that they can see where things stand with Collin and LJ.

*** While it’s still early, there is a particular wide receiver grad transfer that Texas could be looking at as well. I know the player is interested in Texas and he fits the mold of the kind of guys Texas typically likes. Again, way too early to mention any names but just another piece for the Texas staff to have to work out as they try to ensure they maximize the weapons around Ehlinger for a big run next year.

Kennedy Lewis Will Not Be Announcing Today
– Charlie S

…that about answers the question as to whether Texas felt they had room for him as we have been saying previously based on very credible information that Texas was going to be the choice.

Expect Texas to focus on Bru McCoy as the final potential wide receiver target in this class (unless Higgins does not get into Stanford) and should he not choose Texas, the wide receiver class very well could already be complete.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post, with a good write-up on scholarship numbers and clarity on WR recruiting: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-9th-11th/

Reveal hidden contents

– Will Baizer

With the commitment of Peyton Powell, I’ve seen some questions about class size for the 2019 cycle. Texas right now sits with 20 commits.

The NCAA limit for class size in FBS is 25 players. However, up to five early enrollees are allowed to count toward the previous class.

The NCAA allows FBS schools 85 scholarship players on a roster. By my count, Texas currently sits at 77 scholarship players.

19 count toward 2015
18 count toward 2016
20 count toward 2017
21 count toward 2018.

Texas in the 2018 class had 27 enrollees, lost OG Mikey Grandy, and had nine early enrollees (only five count toward 2017). That means the 2018 class takes up 21 spots (as shown above).

However, you’re only allowed 25 scholarships. So Texas can fill up the 25 scholarship spots and then have four early enrollees to count towards the 2018 class to fill that up to 25 scholarship spots.

Therefore, Texas’ max class size this year would be 29 with four early enrollees. This gives Texas room for nine more commits.

I went through and asked each commit of the 2019 class so far whether or not they will be enrolling early.

– ILB De’Gabriel Floyd
– WR Jordan Whittington
– DE Peter Mpagi
– TE Jared Wiley
– QB Roschon Johnson
– OLB Marcus Tillman Jr.

Based on scholarship numbers, they desperately need numbers at center, linebacker, defensive line, and probably wide receiver. Each of these spots could use one or two more players in the 2019 class to help out.

Texas just lost out on one of their four defensive tackle offers as Rodas Johnson recently chose Wisconsin. DeMarvin Leal is a long shot at this point. Faatui Tuitele is also a long shot here, and will likely not end up a Longhorn. This leaves Texas probably evaluating film after the high school football season ends and offering based off of late evaluations or looking for a JUCO/Grad Transfer quick fix.

That is also how offensive line recruiting will likely shake out. We’re already seeing it with the late evaluation of Isaiah Hofkin who picked up an offer last weekend and the offer sent out to JUCO OT Myron Cunningham. It appears that Herb Hand is a fan of the athletic offensive tackle type body that he can shape into an offensive guard.

Wide Receiver

With the addition of Marcus Washington, I think Texas would still be willing to take one more in this class. They would obviously prefer it be Bru McCoy, but Kennedy Lewis would be a take for them as well.

Linebacker

With the departure of Texas’ two starting LBs, Texas will likely move Jeffrey McCulloch back into that spot. They’ll still want some depth in that position as time goes on.

Texas will still pursue ILB Shammond Cooper out of St. Louis, but it looks like this one will come down to one of three options: late cycle evaluations (i.e. second National Signing Day), JUCO, or graduate transfer.

They are already looking at JUCO OLB Caleb Johnson. Johnson did pick up the Oregon offer, which made life difficult for Texas, but they haven’t moved on just yet meaning they still feel confident.

– Super K

I’m currently in the airport in Florida about to head back to Texas. Below are a few quick notes which Ill expand on in the next day or so.

***Checked in with recent 2019 OT offer, Isaiah Hookfin and he tells me that he has cancelled this weekend’s Arizona State official visit. Hookfin has a few different visits that he is looking at potentially taking but he says right now the Texas official visit is the only one he is certain he will take.

For anyone questioning Hookfin’s size, look at him standing next to high 4-star OT, Tyler Johnson who is listed at 6’5.

***Yesterday, I stopped by IMG Academy in Bradenton (FL) to see Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. Had a chance to speak to both at length.

I spoke with them both separately and it was interesting that both put a big emphasis on Stan Drayton being a really key part of their interest in Texas. Both responses were very much unprompted…

On Sanders, one of the things that really caught my attention in our discussion is that he only has one official that he knows he will take which is the visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl. He’s already taken the official visit to Texas. The fact that those are the two visits he is/was certain about was telling to me.

With Cain, despite the loss this past weekend, he’s impressed with the direction Texas is going. One of the things with him that caught my attention is that despite having an OV set to Ohio State, he admitted that their current situation with all the issues surrounding Urban Meyer is very much a concern.

***Texas needs defensive linemen in a big way. They have an excellent target in 2019 DE, Myron Warren (Many, LA). As I mentioned last week, Warren will visit Texas for the Iowa State game.

The thing we were watching, however, was whether LSU would offer. He was at the LSU vs. Alabama game this past weekend. I checked with him after the visit and he said that LSU did not offer nor did they discuss an offer with him.

As long as LSU doesn’t offer, Texas has a good shot. Though, as I previously noted, his family is originally from the Austin area. So, while LSU would likely be the favorite if they offered, I’m not sure it would be a foregone conclusion.

– Super K

As Charlie mentioned yesterday, 2019 wide receiver, Kennedy Lewis (Melissa, TX) is scheduled to announce his commitment tomorrow and if Texas is in a position to take Lewis, we expect Texas to be the choice.

But can Texas take him?

That’s a question I have yet to received a definitive answer on but it’s sounding like there are some real numbers issues they are contending with that could put Texas in a position to need to delay things.

***First, based on conversations with folks around Lil Jordan Humphrey, I had always believed he would leave after this season. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to him and it sounds like that is no longer a foregone conclusion. I was told very simply that it will depend on his draft grade. I was also told that the family and people around LJ will sit down and discuss things after the season but that the decision has not been made.

If I’m hearing that then surely the Texas staff also knows that there is still a possibility he will return and if that happens, it will affect their numbers.

***Secondly, there is still uncertainty about whether Collin Johnson will stay or go. Between LJ and Collin, Collin was the one I would’ve assumed would stay. From what I gather the staff doesn’t know what he’s going to do and surmise Collin himself hasn’t made that decision. So again, you have another factor to consider when looking at the wide receiver numbers.

***Bru McCoy. You have to take Bru McCoy regardless. And Texas’ primary competition in this one is a team whose OC was recently stripped of his play calling duties. Things are not stable there at the moment. In other words, Texas has to account for the real possibility that Bru McCoy could occupy a scholarship spot next season.

***And, you still have Elijah Higgins on the board. As Charlie mentioned, we get the sense that Texas probably feels Elijah is headed to Stanford if he gets in. But, an announcement hasn’t happened yet. Also, the latest we heard from Elijah was that he had not gotten word from Stanford yet.

***I do believe that Texas very much likes Kennedy Lewis but I’m really curious to see how this plays out tomorrow (updated below by Charlie) because there are a ton of variables at the moment with both recruits that Texas has been recruiting for much longer than Lewis and players currently on campus. Best case scenario for Texas would have probably been for Lewis to have delayed his commitment timeline a bit so that they can see where things stand with Collin and LJ.

*** While it’s still early, there is a particular wide receiver grad transfer that Texas could be looking at as well. I know the player is interested in Texas and he fits the mold of the kind of guys Texas typically likes. Again, way too early to mention any names but just another piece for the Texas staff to have to work out as they try to ensure they maximize the weapons around Ehlinger for a big run next year.

– Charlie S

…that about answers the question as to whether Texas felt they had room for him as we have been saying previously based on very credible information that Texas was going to be the choice.

Expect Texas to focus on Bru McCoy as the final potential wide receiver target in this class (unless Higgins does not get into Stanford) and should he not choose Texas, the wide receiver class very well could already be complete.

Thanks for posting that. I had not seen that before. It's great!

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

– Will Baizer

19 count toward 2015
18 count toward 2016
20 count toward 2017
21 count toward 2018.

– ILB De’Gabriel Floyd
– WR Jordan Whittington
– DE Peter Mpagi
– TE Jared Wiley
– QB Roschon Johnson
– OLB Marcus Tillman Jr.

Wide Receiver

Linebacker

– Super K

– Super K

But can Texas take him?

– Charlie S

Thanks Machinator.  Solid stuff on Class numbers.  Was not aware that current Roster only has 77 players on Scholarship.....

– Will Baizer

With the commitment of Peyton Powell, I’ve seen some questions about class size for the 2019 cycle. Texas right now sits with 20 commits.

19 count toward 2015
18 count toward 2016
20 count toward 2017
21 count toward 2018.

Texas in the 2018 class had 27 enrollees, lost OG Mikey Grandy, and had nine early enrollees (only five count toward 2017). That means the 2018 class takes up 21 spots (as shown above).

– ILB De’Gabriel Floyd
– WR Jordan Whittington
– DE Peter Mpagi
– TE Jared Wiley
– QB Roschon Johnson
– OLB Marcus Tillman Jr.

Edited by LTtxfan

Where's sidis to tell us that taking a good WR GT is still a dumb idea because reasons

By my count, if Johnson and LHJ leave, we will have three receivers on the roster that aren’t freshmen. Duvernay, Pouncy, and Eagles. Yeah, a grad transfer there wouldn’t be the worst idea.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

By my count, if Johnson and LHJ leave, we will have three receivers on the roster that aren’t freshmen. Duvernay, Pouncy, and Eagles. Yeah, a grad transfer there wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Moore and Woodard(RS) and maybe Jamison unless they move him back to nickel

Edited by RGBIII

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Would someone please remind me why Burt hasn't been seeing much PT this season? Was he a bit dinged up or still had the yips?

Burt has been battling a foot injury he suffered during camp.  He missed the Maryland game because of it.  He wasn't able to go against Tulsa and USC so I think that is when Herman decided to think about a red shirt for him.

Blazier's numbers are off.

There are 80 current scholarship players.

19 seniors, including Allsup and Durst. However, Chisholm and Burt could be RS'ing, so Texas is losing 17, if he wasn't including Allsup and Durst, then the number is 15 seniors leaving.

15 juniors, will be interesting to see if there are any from this class that take part in SR. day next Saturday like we saw last year.

14 sophomores, including Boyd, who is likely done at Texas due to his the off the field criminal assault.

17 freshmen

15 freshmen currently RS'ing.

• Like 1

IT

STATE OF RECRUITING 

With the first National Signing Day for 2019 just over a month away, Texas still has some rather large holes to fill.

Linebacker, defensive line, and offensive line come to mind. Maybe another running back. Let's take a look at the remaining top targets on UT's big board.

WR Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (CA) -- Good news, bad news. Five-star athlete Bru McCoy is a Texas kid in the same sense that Tyler Johnson is. The bad news is he lives in Los Angeles.

When I say he's a Texas kid, I mean the school appeals to his personality in all the important ways. He fits in culturally and academically, and understands the long-term benefits of the Texas network and all it has to offer. The problem is, the family understands USC is the Texas version of that in California, including the network.

I've messaged and talked to many people in the last day and to a man they all believe Texas leads at this point. USC has significant issues to address that probably aren't wise to air, but will also be difficult to overcome.

McCoy still has his official visit to USC to take on December 1st. That's a concern of course. We can't lose sight of reality: this is a Southern Californian five-star at a USC pipeline school. But they're the underdog as of right now. I feel incredibly confident writing that.

I haven't heard that an unofficial visit return to Texas if off the table. It could come down to having enough time, though.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt for Texas to get back to winning and finishing the season strong.

If this came down to in-home visits, I think Texas would happily take that. Even with the proximity advantage I don't think USC has struck up the relationship the Texas staff has.

I have him at 60% to sign with Texas. If he were choosing today, I'd have it significantly higher.

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) -- UT's top two remaining prospects that carry the rock - Noah Cain and Trey Sanders - both come from the same private school. Funny how that happens. Texas has done remarkably well in this recruitment, mainly because of running back coach Stan Drayton. He can get the attention of any tailback in the nation with his personality, demeanor, and resume. As a sophomore at Denton Guyer, Cain burst on the scene like he does through inside zone; quickly. The usual suspects came through, but LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas slowly separated themselves. At this stage, the Horns have positioned themselves to land one of Cain or Sanders. Of the two, Texas has the best shot with Cain. Georgia looks less likely. So does Ohio State. It's a numbers thing at LSU, even though they still might make room.

His official visit last weekend in Austin couldn't have gone better. As importantly as winning over Cain is the staff has made significant in-roads with his mother.

This recruitment is back on the trend-line it was in the spring.

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) -- The other running back at IMG, Texas began the relationship with Sanders at the Red River Shootout in 2017, where the five-star actually met his girlfriend. Then he trekked to Austin last summer for a weekend with Jordan Whittington. Fast forward to September when USC arrived. He was in attendance for the Longhorns win, along with fellow stud Bru McCoy. This will likely come down to if he wants or doesn't want to play at Alabama (Florida has renewed its push as of late). But his relationship with Drayton and fellow Texas commits have led us to believe the Horns have a good shot. We've also heard some happy hour type stuff that would offer hope. The more likely outcome is Texas lands Cain, though.

WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa (TX) -- The 6-foot-3, 190-pound pass-catcher and former TCU pledge was set to announce his commitment today. That was put on pause. With wide receiver numbers in Austin filling up, we believe the Horns are being judicious with its last few spots. Lewis loves the Longhorns, and might still make it in this class, but with others looking good (Bru McCoy) and the numbers already thin for 2020 (looks to be around 18 right now), the #SaveTheShip mantra might be the route here. Said one collegiate source on Lewis' ability, "If we hadn't seen him in person numerous times this summer we wouldn't have been as high on him -- his film this year isn't overwhelming." That sort of sums up the sentiments of many. The upside is noticeable but numbers being tight is a wrench.

OT Isaiah Hookfin, Sugarland Dulles (TX) -- We were able to take a look at the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder in Sugar Land on Thursday night. We see what Texas sees - untapped potential, great feet and balance, and really solid technique in pass protection. Not much punch and could play angrier in the run game. He's a late bloomer that would tuck neatly into this class. More schools are catching on as well - Auburn, Mississippi State, and Arizona State want him now too. He took an unofficial visit last weekend to Austin, bonded Wild Hogs-style with Tyler Johnson, and will likely take an official to the 40 Acres in December. I like where this is trending.

OL Myron Cunningham, Iowa Central CC (IA) -- His recruitment and Hookfin's could be tied together. Both are tackles who offer athleticism, they're just on different plots of the eligibility spectrum. Cunningham, like Hookfin, will likely visit in December. Taking both isn't out of the question but Texas may defer to the grad transfer market if it doesn't go with a Juco option.

OL Andrew Coker, Katy Taylor (TX) (TCU) -- This one continues to be somewhat of a mystery. While we feel he's a guard at the next level, Coker has done well to begin transforming his body. His game has improved as well, but again, we feel like he's a guard due to lack of foot quickness. The key here is how much mutual interest there is. The offer was big for him, and Herb Hand loves his potential. We have him as one to watch because we know they'd like one more interior lineman if they find one good enough.

LB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College (CA) -- If Oregon hadn't offered, there would be little intrigue where he'd be signing. But they did and he's visiting Eugene next weekend. Still, there's some confidence here with Texas thanks to the staff prioritizing him. He's made it clear he loves the Horns and the opportunity for immediate playing time. The fact UT isn't openly pursuing another inside linebacker is a notable data point on their confidence level. The staff will know its fate in the next few weeks so there would still be time to throw a Hail Mary at the position.

DE Myron Warren, Many (LA) -- Another former TCU commit, Warren and Texas started out with a conversation between Myron and coach Oscar Giles, then bloomed into an offer, and now he'll visit Austin next weekend vs Iowa State. Don't get it twisted; if LSU offers, he'll be a Tiger. But after his visit to Baton Rouge last weekend, he left without an offer or even the discussion of one. So far, so good for Texas. With Sweat and Mpagi as the only defensive line takes so far in 2019, Warren is a priority. With Orgeron's numbers tighter than his belt, this could be the third talented defensive linemen Texas lands from Louisiana thanks to lack of in-state push.

DB Jalen Catalon, Mansfield Legacy (TX): The multi-sport star is heavy on Arkansas, light on Texas...today. But he’ll be back for an OV in December and we’ll see how Naivar/Texas combat the Hogs’ negative ways. This isn’t over, it’s just not trending well...today. Catalon could see the light. 

Similar to last cycle, there could and most likely will be a few new names popping up. Herman always has contingencies. We'll have notes and quotes from some of these remaining targets in the next Scoop. Stay tuned.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So between Kennedy Lewis postponing his commitment and Nahlin's cryptic comments... what's the situation here?

edit: MGM, didn't read further

Sounds like we have a numbers crunch: We like our committed receivers and don't want to push anyone out and Bru McCoy is a true possibility.

OB War Room: N.Cain, I.Hookfin, C.Johnson, M.Warren, M.Lee

(Suchomel)

I had about a 30-minute conversation with the father of Rivals100 RB 
Noah Cain shortly after he touched down on Monday in returning home from Noah’s Texas official visit. In talking to Mr. Cain, and to Noah himself, I’m not sure Texas could have done much better of a job with this one.

Noah still has three visits left, starting with Penn State this week, then LSU and then Ohio State. This one’s not settled, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say the Longhorns may be the team to beat coming out of last weekend’s official visit.

Some comments from my conversation with Terence Cain …

On the visit overall: 

“The visit went extremely well. The entire family left feeling good. We got answers to a lot of questions we wanted to find out, of course in reference to the actual backfield presently, how they’re going to use Noah. All of that was identified and of course, Noah would be one of their every-down backs coming in. We’re not trying to beat him up early, but he would have significant impact in the gameplan right away.

“I tell you, we left there feeling comfortable. All of his mom’s questions were answered - the academic piece, the entire structure of the program outside of football at UT. The culture is really in place. The student athletes have bought in. It’s really working and you’re seeing the fruits early (under this staff).”

On the game: 

“The game environment was awesome. It was a tough loss. But at the same time, the offense put points on the board. The defense wasn’t not able to stop West Virginia. But a lot of points about the program, they were very honest as to the weaknesses of the program, what they need to do to get better. It wasn’t like they were trying to hide. You watch a ton of football, I’ve been in this for a long time, getting Texas back up to that high caliber team, when you’re building a team it takes time. They’re doing well with recruiting the recruiting class but they may still be about two years away, which is fine.”

On what weaknesses were discussed: 

“They knew the defense wasn’t there. They don’t really have that run game yet, or said the quarterback has been their running back as well. They said ‘We want him to run sometimes, but don’t want him to run as much as he runs.’ With a solid run game, this kid wouldn’t be running as much as he has. It’s not ideal. They did redshirt all their freshman linemen. Those guys, looking at where they were coming out of high school to now, they’ve each added about 15 pounds, so they’re looking really good.”

On the progress he sees in the Texas program: 

“We saw tremendous improvement, tremendous improvement. I’m not going to say they’re all the way there, but they had some guys who are banged up. But for the spring, you’re going to see those Longhorns - these guys are getting very, very close. If these guys can stay healthy through spring and the season, have a chance to be special.

“They’re progressing even though they’re a work in progress. Another thing, they’re finally getting to a point where they’re getting that depth chart back. You have to have that as well. If you plan on continuing to beat the Oklahomas for years to come, you have to continue with the depth chart.”

On the recruiting message from the UT staff: 

“With Noah, he’s a Metroplex guy, played for Denton Guyer before transferring to IMG. So returning back home, to be that featured back for the program. Coach (Stan) Drayton is a very, very good running backs coach in developing young running backs to reach their goals to get to the NFL. He has done extremely well, has had numerous backs over his 26-plus years have success not only at the collegiate level, but pro level as well. Like Ezekiel Elliott, when he came in, he wasn’t ready. It was a process along with him buying into the vision (Drayton) had for him. He said look, this guy was able to do some remarkable things when I had him back at Ohio State. Noah’s relationship, how they communicate, feeling comfortable with coach Drayton is very good, but the overall environment too. Coach Herman had a slip of paper, he’d been keeping in my pocket. It had at least 7 or 8 guys they want to sign for this class. It wasn’t just a piece of paper he had just printed and folded up. You could tell it had been in his pocket for probably 30 days or more. It had Noah Cain’s name, as a top priority, with 7 other names on there. He was very transparent, very honest in answering questions that mom had about the program. We Spent at least a couple hours with him, not just the dining and eating part, but spent at least two hours in his office talking.”

On Texas’ biggest selling point that’s different than other schools: 

“Of course, the academic piece is very strong. Noah wanting to be a business major, with their school of business, it’s one of the top one in the entire United States. The McCombs School is critical. The direction of the program too. The timing is excellent if Noah was to choose Texas, where they are right now, to get in, they’re going to do some unique things. The actual alumni is giving Herman and his staff what they need to get Texas back to the Texas we know. That’s very important.

“I laughed with coach Herman and Drayton. When we went to Texas a year-and-a half ago, that was my first time going to UT. When I went there, I was like ‘This can’t be The University of Texas. This is the flagship school.’ Certain things, they had to get rid of some of the things to get this program up with other big time schools – the facilities, just the culture of student athletes, the way of doing things with a championship mentality. That’s awesome. … It doesn’t win a game, but it sure is nice to have.”

On his overall impression of what stood out about Texas: 

“The program overall, even with coach Yancy (McKnight). We met with him. All the key people, the questions we had, everyone was very thorough with what they had to share with us. What we wanted to find out, how Noah would be instrumental in their system athletically and academically was answered. Even coach Herman’s support, Rashaad (Samples), Dr. (Ryan) Sutton, (Derek) Chang, (Bryan) Carrington, Jordyn (Fields) … shout out to all those guys. Don’t forget those guys. The support staff was very, very awesome.”

(Suchomel)

Offensive lineman 
Isaiah Hookfin attended the West Virginia came on an unofficial visit and was hopeful a UT offer would come his way. Hookfin got his wish after the game was over.

“We went in the lounge area. Coach (Herb) Hand had come and talked to me and my family and presented the offer to me,” Hookfin said. “I kind of saw it coming, but didn’t really see it at that moment. It was just joy, happiness of course.

“It was the same with my family. My mom was excited as always, my dad was happy for me. My little sister was just there. She was proud of me didn’t want to show it.”

Texas is in a good spot here and has made a really good impression over the past few weeks, but Hookfin has maintained that he wants to take his time and not rush into a decision.

“I’m still taking it slow. I’m not going to rush anything. I still want to evaluate all my options, look at what fits me, what can help me the best,” Hookfin said.

The 6-5, 273-pound Hookfin said he and the UT staff talked about an official visit, but no dates has been set up. He did say it’s “likely” that he’ll return for an OV though. Auburn is another that will get a visit and Mississippi State is a possibility that was mentioned.

When it comes time to decide, Hookfin said getting on the field early will be a key factor.

“Right now it’s playing time,” he said when asked what factors will be important in his decision. I want to set myself up to start or play a lot as a freshman. Just to get some experience, if possible, get those years and then be able to go to the next level.”

I asked Hookfin what he knew of UT’s depth chart …

“They have a good amount of depth as far as o-linemen. I know coach Hand is looking for more
lean tackles like Cosmi, that type of build at tackle,” Hookfin said. “I know he’s looking more of that in the last couple years. So I’m really trying to set myself up to be that guy for these schools.”

(Suchomel)

A quick update on JUCO linebacker 
Caleb Johnson …

When Johnson visited Texas in mid-October, he told me Texas was the team to beat and he had a hard time envisioning a scenario where anyone would be able to overtake the Longhorns. He did mention to other recruits behind the scenes that he’d likely wind up at Texas or Oregon.

Johnson told me earlier this week that he had locked in his Oregon official visit for November 17. Needless to say, we’ll be watching that one closely. The good news … Texas still holds the edge heading into his last visit.

“It’s still Texas but it’s still going to be a hard decision,” Johnson said.

(Suchomel)

Many (LA) defensive end 
Myron Warren visited LSU last weekend. The good news for Texas is that Warren did not receive an offer. The not-so-good news is that it sounds like Warren is still being considered for an offer by the in-state Tigers.

I communicated with someone on the LSU side of things who put it at a 50/50 chance that LSU would offer. I’m told it’s not so much a numbers thing as it simply is LSU wanting to do more evaluation on the 6-4, 230-pounder who recently picked up a UT offer and subsequently decommitted from TCU.

Warren tells me he’ll be in Austin next weekend for the Iowa State game, so Texas will have its first real chance to blow him away. I expect Warren to also take a UT official visit (he currently does not have any official visits set up). The Longhorns’ chances are very good here, but the LSU situation is certainly worth monitoring.

(Suchomel)

Questions about JUCO defensive line recruiting seem to come up every week. Here’s a bit of good news for you all.

Iowa Western Community College defensive end 
Malcolm Lee tells me not only has he been in touch with Oscar Giles (a lot), he’ll probably be taking a Texas visit in December.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Even coach Herman’s support, Rashaad (Samples), Dr. (Ryan) Sutton, (Derek) Chang, (Bryan) Carrington, Jordyn (Fields) … shout out to all those guys.

Ryan Sutton is not a name I've heard before. Looked him up...

http://diversity.utexas.edu/academiccenter/dr-ryan-sutton/ - "Dr. Ryan Sutton is a Director with the Longhorn Center for Academic Excellence (LCAE), which is based in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement at the University of Texas at Austin.  He directs two initiatives and spearheads mental health support for students within the center, while overseeing the personal development suite of the center." Perhaps more relevant, he's the Director of the African American Male Research Initiative.

• Like 2