Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Doesn't look like Catalon will happen.

The IT mods say Gary Patterson has been using the Zach Smith stuff to negative recruit against Texas and it's getting through to his parents.

Oh look.. Patterson negative recruiting. I for one am shocked. 

If someone's searching for a reason to pick a school, they're going to pick that school.
I feel for the kid, imagine a high 4*-5* kid that always dreamed of being a Longhorn..got and offer from the Longhorns..but it was from Charlie Strong and the kid was class of '17. Go to your dream school not knowing who your coach/coaches will be and/or how long a rebuild will take, or go to that other blue blood school that offered, seems to be on the rise and has a coach that isn't on the hot seat?

Tough decision, especially with having friends and ex-teammates playing for USC.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

I feel for the kid, imagine a high 4*-5* kid that always dreamed of being a Longhorn..got and offer from the Longhorns..but it was from Charlie Strong and the kid was class of '17. Go to your dream school not knowing who your coach/coaches will be and/or how long a rebuild will take, or go to that other blue blood school that offered, seems to be on the rise and has a coach that isn't on the hot seat?

Tough decision, especially with having friends and ex-teammates playing for USC.

Soooo... Baron Browning and JK Dobbins?

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Adding Cain, Warren, Hookfin, Jacoby Jones, and Caleb Johnson would put us at 275.93 with 25 commits.

Adding Catalon to that puts us at 278.11

Dropping Catalon and adding Bru puts us at 284.51.

Adding both Bru and Catalon would put us at 286.33 with 27 commits.

Im+sorry+anon+_4a936bf54c56026815eb822c2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Didn’t half of TCU football team get busted for dealing drugs on campus a few years back...you can’t deny that, Patterson. 

They also protected their best offensive player, who liked to beat up his girlfriend, this season. Catalon is a nice prospect, but Fatterson has many more skeletons in his closet, and our AD knows them all.

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You know, we basically ended TCU's season and they're imploding now. I can take Patterson getting a final parting shot in. Let's see how he negative recruits next year after he misses and bowl and we're in the preseason top 10 with a QB on heisman watch. 

It would be an unbelievably bad decision on Catalon's part to get in bed with TCU.  On so many levels and for so many reasons a bad decision. We'll be fine, but TCU is in a world of hurt over the next few years.  They've recruited terribly.

EJ CB'ed Jacoby Jones and Cain to Texas. 
He cited Giles' hard work behind the scenes on Jones. Fair enough. Awkwardly staring at recruits in silence works sometimes. 
I'm also guessing that Thibs wasn't willing to take another one for the team. 

Nice Thibs pull. I have a feeling this is Tyrus Thomas’ year.

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Honestly I feel pretty good about NB next year with Thompson and Jamison. However, this year has really shown how important NB is to this defense so you can never have enough guys there.

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Family motto? Because your mom said the same thing.

This is when the username Casual Encounter is so crucial

EJ after dark: Can Texas land a pair of five-star recruits?

— With Mater Dei (Calif.) making a late playoff run and official visits on the horizon, I’m told it’s going to be tough for five-star athlete Bru McCoy to make it back to Austin for another unofficial visit — the family is still trying to work things out. But like I wrote in The Stampede, if McCoy doesn’t make it, those around Texas still feels like it is in a position to land him when he makes his decision in the near future. I would go as far as to say that confidence around the Texas program has never been higher. With USC in a state of turmoil, Texas is taking advantage. I’m remaining cautious as the USC situation continues to play itself out. But I feel better about my Texas CB pick right now than I ever did — visit or no visit.

— Someone that hasn’t been mentioned much during the McCoy recruitment is Texas freshman quarterback Cameron Rising, who is also from the Los Angeles area. Rising hosted McCoy on his official visit in September and keeps in contact with McCoy. In fact, McCoy checks in with Rising about questions he has in regards to the program. Rising flipped his pledge from OU to Texas and was the first big California get for Tom Herman. Rising is someone McCoy can relate to, and he’s certainly helping the Longhorns here.

— While I did put in a Crystal Ball for Noah Cain tonight, I’m nowhere near putting one in for his teammate and five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. I did get some positive quotes from him, but sources indicate that he is still more likely to stay close to home. His Alabama official visit is coming up, and Florida remains a dark horse in his recruitment. Texas is still fighting hard, but it’s going to take some real movement with his family to earn a signature. Texas has done everything it can — very successfully — with Trey himself.

— I spoke to a source close to five-star 2020 George County (MS) defensive lineman McKinnley Jackson, who told me he is interested in Texas and would like to make a visit. Jackson hasn’t had any real contact with the UT staff but if his interest is in fact legitimate, then I’m sure that will change. Jackson holds several major offers, with LSU currently considered the frontrunner.

10 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

He abused all his wives and former GFs, every time he had sex it was like waterboarding them.  

That’s funny and all, but GP lives in a glass house. If he wants to throw rocks, maybe he wouldn’t mind if some of his divorce dirt started creeping out. Maybe he and Zach Smith can start spending time hanging out. Arrogant asshole. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

That is a good quote.  Reads like his head is here and heart at USC.  

Yep, I have to agree.

He's been USC bound for so long that he's having a difficult time letting go, even if he knows that it is a clusterfuck and Austin would be a great experience.

I get the feeling that he knows that his off-seasons and post-NFL life will be spent in SoCal and there isn't a better school to set you up for life in SoCal than USC, especially if you are a BMOC. (Even the BOMC can't compare.)

Hopefully for us, he goes to the better football situation.

18 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

🚨🚨 

Update on 5️ #ATH Bru McCoy (24/7):

Spoiler

“I love the program, primarily the coaches and the environment,” McCoy said. “Austin is a really cool city. The program is on the up and up. You look at Coach (Tom) Herman and what he did at Houston and now transferring that to Texas, you can see where the program is heading.”

“Coach Herman brings this up-tempo energy about himself, and he’s very charismatic,” McCoy said. “Coach Mehringer is a really genuine and nice guy. He cares a lot about his players, specifically the receivers, in all facets of life. The relationship between me and Coach Herman, Coach Mehringer and Coach Beck is strong.”

“The message they’ve conveyed to me is the best way to grow as a person is to make yourself uncomfortable,” McCoy said. “They think I can stay at home and be comfortable. But if you want to grow as a man, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Texas offers a great place to grow, and Austin is a great city.”

“Austin is different. The culture is very football based. They are all in football fans. Going to the game and watching 103,000 people scream chants, I’ve never experienced that, and you don’t get that experience in California given the number of teams. Texas is the football school that represents Texas, in my opinion."

“Austin has a lot of different aspects to it music wise, and you have the lakes. It’s gorgeous. And you have the city. It’s a cool place.”

“He’s (De'Gabriel Floyd) recruiting me as hard as anyone has ever recruited me,” McCoy said. “Gabe is one of my friends. I know he has my best interest in mind but also, I know he wants me to be his teammate. Me and him did get to play a little in 7-on-7 in the offseason. He’s a freak of a player. He tells me why he’s going there and why he’s so confident. He told me I shouldn’t be worried because we have each other’s backs. He’s done a great job of making me comfortable if that were the decision I were to make.”

“It’s a tough comparison,” McCoy said. “They are both different and the same. They are very rich tradition programs that go way back. People look at the Vince Young run to the end zone to beat USC. Obviously, they blew USC out this year. But the programs are comparable in the sense that they are highly competitive and strive to be the best.”

This part of the story feels like something that would be in a commit article...

Spoiler

“I love the program, primarily the coaches and the environment,” McCoy said. “Austin is a really cool city. The program is on the up and up. You look at Coach (Tom) Herman and what he did at Houston and now transferring that to Texas, you can see where the program is heading.”

“Coach Herman brings this up-tempo energy about himself, and he’s very charismatic,” McCoy said. “Coach Mehringer is a really genuine and nice guy. He cares a lot about his players, specifically the receivers, in all facets of life. The relationship between me and Coach Herman, Coach Mehringer and Coach Beck is strong.”

“The message they’ve conveyed to me is the best way to grow as a person is to make yourself uncomfortable,” McCoy said. “They think I can stay at home and be comfortable. But if you want to grow as a man, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Texas offers a great place to grow, and Austin is a great city.”

“Austin is different. The culture is very football based. They are all in football fans. Going to the game and watching 103,000 people scream chants, I’ve never experienced that, and you don’t get that experience in California given the number of teams. Texas is the football school that represents Texas, in my opinion."

“Austin has a lot of different aspects to it music wise, and you have the lakes. It’s gorgeous. And you have the city. It’s a cool place.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In regards to Myron Warren, a poster on tigerdroppings posted that Shea Dixon ( LSU 247 mod ) is saying the rest of the LSU DL targets are Sopsher and JUCO/grad transfers.

woah you weren't kidding re: LSU (this is a great addition to the 247 site)

jPepCs.png

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It would be an unbelievably bad decision on Catalon's part to get in bed with TCU.  On so many levels and for so many reasons a bad decision. We'll be fine, but TCU is in a world of hurt over the next few years.  They've recruited terribly.

i am really interested to see what happens there / what all CDC was making appear to be solid when it wasn't.

we know how much of a trickle down impact a bad hire at AD can do (or if someone is just not aligned with the programs)

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am really interested to see what happens there / what all CDC was making appear to be solid when it wasn't.

we know how much of a trickle down impact a bad hire at AD can do (or if someone is just not aligned with the programs)

Didn’t they promote CDC’s protege to AD?

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Didn’t they promote CDC’s protege to AD?

yup

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article217787860.html

Spoiler

In fact, Del Conte is a big brother-like figure for Donati. Del Conte lived in a children’s home where Donati’s father, Richard, served as a house parent.

The bond between the two families goes back decades.

“Outside of me getting married and my kids being born, the greatest day for me was when I was named the AD at Texas and Jeremiah was named the AD at TCU a couple hours later,” Del Conte said. “When his father was passing, he told me, ‘Take care of my boy, Jeremiah.’ I said, ‘I got it chief.’ That day, when we both became ADs, was a surreal moment for me just because of all the things we’ve been through.

“TCU is in great hands. He’s a great leader. He’s an unbelievable person.”

LSU doesn't have a single SR in their 3 deep on the DL. I don't follow mock drafts close enough but I haven't seen guys like Fehoko, Alexander and Lawrence projected to be high draft picks. 
LSU is likely taking a small DL class because almost everyone is probably going to return. 
Scary thing about playing LSU next year is they are going to return a lot. Almost their entire offense and a lot of production on defense. 

And Texas loses a lot. Next years game will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Much as I'd love it to be recruit related - I don't think they'd announce a recruit visit like this.

That's fair, but I don't think he'd use the Shhh emoji if it wasn't recruiting related in some fashion. I can certainly see a world where he announced something like that if there was a slam dunk flip and/or the kid was OK with it. Or it could be someone like the Footwork King...who knows.

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

I have friends in fort Worth with saved texts from that prick

For the rest of us who have had little desire to ever, EVER, get up into the the sweaty, salt encrusted business of one Garance A. Patterson, care to enlighten us on the alleged shit surrounding this guys divorce and why anyone would save chubby willy wonka's texts?

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Georgia just got a committment from 4 star RB Kenny McIntosh - how many RB's is Georgia planning to take, and does this push Cain to Texas?

We'll see whether he cancels his OV for Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate (what a rivalry name), but practically that should do it for Cain and UGA.