Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Footwork King is steering Shepherd to ATM. Expect them to manufacture drama and then magically sign with ATM on SD2. Not a slam dunk, but this scenario has the strongest odds. Texas wants him, so don’t confuse that part. 

That is the least shocking thing I heard today. 

Wonder how much gas money footwork will get from jimbo. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Ken Starr was their president. What more need be said about those who quote scripture?

9 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

This tweet reads as Blissfully lacking in selfawareness...

The lack of awareness would be astonishing if I weren’t already used to it from Baylor fans.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Footwork King is steering Shepherd to ATM. Expect them to manufacture drama and then magically sign with ATM on SD2. Not a slam dunk, but this scenario has the strongest odds. Texas wants him, so don’t confuse that part. 

This is the natural conclusion, that trainer is all in on aggy. It’s why Hamm ran to him when he thought Demas would decommit 

6 minutes ago, jebusshuttlecock said:
13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When do we Willie Lyles FWK?

...when does the NCAA stop acting like "trainers" are only a problem in basketball?

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but the cuck is going to cause some major recruiting issues over the next 2-3 years, and beyond if Herman doesn’t counter well. 

With any semblance of a secondary,  they would be in a NY6 bowl this year. 

• Fuck You 20

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but the cuck is going to cause some major recruiting issues over the next 2-3 years, and beyond if Herman doesn’t counter well. 

With any semblance of a secondary,  they would be in a NY6 bowl this year. 

You've been pumping up aggy with every other post in the recruiting thread. It's ...suspicious...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

With any semblance of a secondary,  they would be in a NY6 bowl this year

10395692186_63b83dda80_o.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

hasn't everyone on this fucking thread been trying to tell you that for ages now? am I mixing you up with someone else who has been concerned over DT recruiting?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

This is 100% how they are approaching the OL/DL spots and jumbo ATH in general. frame/athleticism/quickness over mass/weight/strength.  

Actually there were a ton of posts about Sweat moving to DT, and several statements about having enough DT’s already, but I don’t recall a single post that specifically talked about a specific strategy by the staff to consistently move DE’s to DT. Maybe I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's unfortunate that Jimbo swooped in with fistfuls of dollars right as Herman was beginning to pry trainers like FWK out of A&M's grasp. But ultimately his efforts should pay dividends, if not now then in 2020.

Those tards don't realize the SEC has a decades old hierarchy.  They can spend money to a point, before the rest turn on them, slap them back down, and keep things BAU (see Ol Miss).  Stay in your lane fucknuckles.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those tards don't realize the SEC has a decades old hierarchy.  They can spend money to a point, before the rest turn on them, slap them back down, and keep things BAU (see Ol Miss).  Stay in your lane fucknuckles.  

Yup but that’s also why the “pay dividends” line is funny. 

This isn’t the ACC. LSU, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, and so on are playing the same games. The talent levels arent much different across the board outside of Alabama. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Actually there were a ton of posts about Sweat moving to DT, and several statements about having enough DT’s already, but I don’t recall a single post that specifically talked about a specific strategy by the staff to consistently move DE’s to DT. Maybe I missed it.

You can never have enough DL's when playing spread teams.  I remember when Leach first implemented his OL splits, Mack commented after the game he rotated 13 guys across the DL because they were getting so worn down and tired trying to get to the QB.  It's not as much a continuity thing as with the OL.  It's often a jailbreak, not a coordinated push.

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s what I’ve assumed all along.

Hyuk hyuk hyuk. They’ll show them durn t-sippers. 

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The SEC don't give a shit if they buy a bunch of Texas kids which is a problem for us.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I asked earlier this year about FWK and was told that he was legitimate, not like the other trainers, that he cared about the kids. I did not know then and still have no direct evidence about his shadiness, but he certainly seems to be missing numerous chances to clarify that he is above board. My gestalt take on him is that he is sliding further into the game. He is putting off vibes of being part of everything we were ludicrously accused of doing with Hookfin.

OB War Room - Signing Day summary, what's left:

The early signing period will come to a close on Friday night. While we wait for Isaiah Hookfin to make a decision, let’s take a quick position-by-position look at where things stand for Texas heading into the dead period and then the push for the NSD2.

Quarterback

Roschon Johnson – This one has been done for a while and Texas landed its top target. A perfect fit for what Texas wants to do offensively, Johnson is as impressive off the field as he is on it, and that’s saying something.

What’s left – Nothing. All wrapped up here.

Running back

Derrian Brown – For all the hand-wringing over the guys that didn’t sign with Texas on Wednesday, the Longhorns actually signed a terrific back in Brown. Too many people have been so focused on the ones that got away that they’re probably not appreciating Brown’s talents. A Rivals250 member, Brown is a home threat that should add some pop to the Texas backfield. Another guy that fits the mold of what you want in a back in today’s game of wide open offenses.

What’s left – Texas still wants one more at this position and after missing on Noah Cain (and Trey Sanders to a lesser degree), the staff will have to look high and low for potential options. The obvious name to watch is Katy’s 
Deondrick Glass, who told OB last week that he’s working on setting up an official visit for Texas in January. Oklahoma State is still heavily involved there and landing Glass, should Texas push, is no slam dunk but I like Texas’ chances if they get him and his family back on campus.

Wide receiver

Jake Smith – The speedy receiver is just what this offense (or any offense) needs and he’s a guy who should have a chance to contribute right away, even though he won’t enroll until the summer. There was a brief moment after the Maryland game when I thought Texas might have to fight to hang onto Smith’s commitment. Silly me. He stayed locked in and never looked around.

Jordan Whittington – Big-time talent. Big, strong receiver who can play out of the slot and be a match-up nightmare. He’ll enroll in January and plays for a state title this weekend.

Marcus Washington – There were a few nervous moments in this one down the stretch but the Texas staff did a good job of locking Washington in when Missouri came snooping around late. Washington’s not a burner as an outside guy, but he has good size, good body control and is terrific at making contested catches.

Kennedy Lewis – A young man who really, really wanted to be a part of this class and things worked out in the end. Lewis actually silently committed to Texas before UT and Peyton Powell parted ways. Big kid who runs well and is just scratching the surface of his potential.

What’s left – It’s the 
Bru McCoy show. The five-star out of Mater Dei in Cali had been considering signing in the early period and then announcing his decision on January 5, but his dad told OB on Thursday afternoon that McCoy probably would not sign and would just announce his destination at the All-American Bowl. Don’t ask me if it’ll be Texas or USC because I honestly don’t know. I don’t think Bru even knows. USC insiders I talk to remain confident, but I still think this one is much closer than they realize.

Offensive line

Tyler Johnson – Big, physical prospect who will enroll in January to get a head start on his career. Could help out at both guard or tackle.

Javonne Shepherd – He didn’t sign early, and will take a Texas A&M visit in January. You all know the story here … this one will have everyone pulling their hair out all the way up until he signs his letter of intent in February.

What’s left - Isaiah Hookfin will sign his letter of intent on Friday morning. By the time a lot of you have read this, Texas just might have added a key piece to its recruiting class. What looked like a big get for Baylor on Wednesday now looks really good for Texas. Beyond that, the staff will try to find at least one more guy to add to the equation. Who might that be? Got me, but keep an eye on the JUCO ranks and a possible grad transfer. Finding new OL candidates will be a big priority, but hanging on to Javonne Shepherd may be priority number one.

Tight end

Brayden Liebrock and Jared Wiley – I’ll package these two together since their stories are pretty similar. Both committed early, both stayed locked in and both are big guys who move well and have good hands. Wiley will enroll in January so he’ll get a bit of a head start. Love his potential upside as he continues to develop.

What’s left – Nada. Texas has been done here for a while.

Defensive line

Jacoby Jones – Texas needs a couple guys out of this group to come in and be ready to play, so getting Jones to flip his commitment from Oklahoma was huge. Big, physical defensive end who will almost certainly be in the rotation from the time he gets on campus.

Myron Warren – Am I crazy for loving his film as much as I do? He’ll need to adjust to some things and fine-tune his craft, but Warren looks like a guy who has as much upside as just about anyone in this class. Getting him to sign early was a big development for Oscar Giles.

Peter Mpagi – Think Charles Omenihu here. Mpagi will graduate early, he’s young for his class and he’ll probably need a year or two to add some size and strength. But he’s a guy with some athleticism and a nice frame that should develop well. High character guy too, who won’t mind putting in the work and being patient.

T'Vondre Sweat – One of the first commitments of the class, Sweat was listed on UT’s press release at 285 pounds. That’s a grown ass man already. It’ll be interesting to see if his frame leans up once he gets on campus or if he grows and eventually becomes an interior guy.

What’s left – If the right prospect came along, I doubt Texas would turn him away but this group might be finished. Nice job by Giles and the entire staff of addressing their needs.

Linebacker

De'Gabriel Floyd – Everyone’s favorite prospect, Floyd will head to Austin in January and is looking to come in and make an early impact. He’s been a huge supporter for Texas throughout this recruiting season and having him on campus to help host official visitors in January will be big.

Caleb Johnson – Big recruiting win for Texas here, landing the speedy JUCO product. Johnson is still on the men from a labrum injury in his shoulder, but he’ll be counted on to play early.

David Gbenda – He’s flown a bit under the radar because he’s gone pretty quiet in recent months, but he’s a player who flashes really good athleticism at the position who will start out in the middle.

Marcus Tillman – Another early enrollee, Tillman is a good athlete who is still getting used to being a full-time linebacker.

What’s left – Texas is pretty much done here after the late addition of Caleb Johnson.

Defensive backs

Kenyatta Watson – Big get here. How good is Watson? Good enough that programs from all over the country were trying to work their way in down the stretch, but Watson remained firm.

Chris Adimora – Athletic, rangy safety who could help at a few different spots in the defensive backfield. Like Watson, Adimora had some schools out west trying to make a late charge, but he never wavered.

Marques Caldwell – Caldwell missed most of his senior season so he’ll have to shake off some rust, but he’s a corner with size and athleticism. Fits the mold of the type of player Jason Washington has had success with in the past.

Tyler Owens – Freakish athlete who blew the staff away with his showing at a camp this summer. Great find by the staff and a guy whose athleticism and size will make him an interesting component for the defense.

What’s left – Texas hosted Jalen Catalon on an official visit before the dead period began, and he’s looking to decide in January. There’s still work to do there with Arkansas and TCU sitting in a favorable position, but Texas will try to keep chipping away there. I don’t necessarily expect any other prospects to emerge, but there could be room for a wildcard or two at DB or really any other position.

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I asked earlier this year about FWK and was told that he was legitimate, not like the other trainers, that he cared about the kids. I did not know then and still have no direct evidence about his shadiness, but he certainly seems to be missing numerous chances to clarify that he is above board. My gestalt take on him is that he is sliding further into the game. He is putting off vibes of being part of everything we were ludicrously accused of doing with Hookfin.

Some bought that narrative because we had a guy on team,  one committed, and demas favoring us.  He's not as obvious as Ro Simon with the shananigans. But he's always strangely driving guys around on his own dime "for the kids" and because he cares so much about them. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm beyond tired of the trainer bullshit

None of the mods on the recruiting sites will call them out either when it’s obvious they all know what we know. 

I guess TFB was fairly direct after Wright committed to A&M but that wasn’t trainer specific. 

The IT guys and Anwar at OB all know FWK is in the bag. It’s fairly obvious if you read between the lines. I will say Anwar is one that might eventually say something. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Does anyone here actually think Shepherd was going to be a good mental evaluation and contribute even if he signed at Texas? His entire value is nothing more than recruiting perception. 

Contribute? Yah, sure as shit had some hope he'd contribute if he signed, that's why a lot of us have talked about him on this here recruiting message board. I'd take a chance on that.

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm beyond tired of the trainer bullshit

You have to decide if you want to have kids who are easily influenced by the likes of trainers on your team.  Herman has implied in the past that he does not.  "Great families", "OKG's", etc. Maybe there are exceptions for generational talents.  But if ,in general, you do want them then you have to play the game.  There are more than enough alumni connections and resources to get the necessary system in place to compete.   It doesn't have to be as simple as a coach handing him an envelope.

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Does anyone here actually think Shepherd was going to be a good mental evaluation and contribute even if he signed at Texas? His entire value is nothing more than recruiting perception. 

Have you done a professional mental evaluation of the kid? Sure, something smells in his recruitment, but I don’t know if it’s him, his trainer, grades, culture fit or whatever. I hope the best for the guy, whichever he chooses. He’s got a lot of potential.

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This right here.  It’s a damn shame because he has the body of future NFL guy, but mentally he will not grow into a great player.  I hate to say it, but where he goes may seal the destination of Demas, and that man will be great.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

And he still has to qualify 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The SEC don't give a shit if they buy a bunch of Texas kids which is a problem for us.

Have you done a professional mental evaluation of the kid? Sure, something smells in his recruitment, but I don’t know if it’s him, his trainer, grades, culture fit or whatever. I hope the best for the guy, whichever he chooses. He’s got a lot of potential.

Appears we have a couple of people on here who have done a mental evaluation on him. Impressive.

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Contribute? Yah, sure as shit had some hope he'd contribute if he signed, that's why a lot of us have talked about him on this here recruiting message board. I'd take a chance on that.

A lot of us have been pretty consistent in saying that you cannot even count Shepherd as a commit because of the high likelihood that he either a) will not qualify b) decommit or c) flame out even if he does qualify. 

Linemen are the hardest to project because they need someone to dedicate themselves to their craft for 2-3 years sometimes before they can really contribute and that requires humility, discipline and determination and those traits tend to be absent in guys like Shepherd. His need for constant gratification and attention are directly at odds with what is required mentally for him to develop into a tackle. 

Yeah, it's time someone does something about FWK.  That guy is blatantly trolling Texas at this point.  He doesn't even try to hide the fact that he's in bed with Jimbo.  People think he's a legit trainer.  Legit NFL trainers don't fucking hang out with Taylor Hamm.  This dude is using inner city kids with bad support systems to his benefit.  He could care less about what is best for them.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

A lot of us have been pretty consistent in saying that you cannot even count Shepherd as a commit because of the high likelihood that he either a) will not qualify b) decommit or c) flame out even if he does qualify. 

Linemen are the hardest to project because they need someone to dedicate themselves to their craft for 2-3 years sometimes before they can really contribute and that requires humility, discipline and determination and those traits tend to be absent in guys like Shepherd. His need for constant gratification and attention are directly at odds with what is required mentally for him to develop into a tackle. 

The guy I most trust in OL evaluations doesn't want him. I'd take him for depth chart considerations, but he has enough red flags and his growth curve is far enough away to for someone to be justified in being ok with him not making it into the class, even if the staff clearly wants him. The optics would be annoying from having to listen to aggies if you're on messageboards or social media, but functionally it might not be much of a loss.