Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Can someone refresh me on the regional focuses of our position coaches? Here's what I've got:

Beck: Arizona, Dallas(?)

Meekins: Houston

Warehime: East Texas, Oklahoma(?)

Mehringer: ??

Washington: San Antonio, Louisiana, Georgia

Drayton: Missouri

Naivar: ??

Hand: Oklahoma, East Texas(?)

Giles: lol

8 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

So would this work?

Herman - HC, duh

Orlando - DC/LB

Beck - AHC/PGC/QB

Drayton - AHC/RGC/RB

Hand - Co-OC/OL

Beaty - Co-OC/WR

Carrier - WR (do one of those inside outside splits for title maybe? Idk)

Meekins - TE

Washington - CB

Naivar - S

Giles - DL

This would work, but would love to see us add an ace recruiter on the D side.  Maybe Meekins finds a landing spot?

I mentioned Ealy in the update I provided late last week, but he's almost a certainty to go straight to the minors in baseball. He's "Warrick Dunn" on the football field if he does decide to play CFB. I think he's worth reaching out to, in case he comes back from baseball 5-7 years from now and wants to play CFB.

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

This would work, but would love to see us add an ace recruiter on the D side.  Maybe Meekins finds a landing spot?

Why do you need an ace recruiter on the D side? You don't need to be a defensive coach to land elite defensive players. Hell Beaty landed Myles fucking Garrett. Unless you think there's a position group in need of better coaching on D, it's not necessary. It's best recruiters available while ensuring every position group has someone legit coaching them. We have enough to coach every group and from a coaching standpoint everyone seems to be doing pretty damn well.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's been curious to me why we don't dig around more in Denver and Kansas City as well. They're both underrecruited. They're not hot beds, but there's talent to mine in both places with non-blue blood recruiting competition. We've had solid results when digging around Denver in the past, too. There's a dude committed to KSU out of Lawrence or KC somewhere right now that is better take than Catalon or North Shore DB guy, but we're not showing any interest. Irritating.

I'm surprised Herman and the staff haven't done this as well. Even Mack would, in his earlier years, go after Colorado kids every great once in a while (before he REALLY started to mail it in).  I realize that Studdard was a legacy and Nolan Brewster was kind of a layup, but he also took a stab at Lendale White and a couple of others, IIRC, including pulling Michael Houston and Lamarr Houston out of Denver and Colorado Springs, respectively.

The Colorado 2019 list doesn't look like anything spectacular, but maybe the top two kids from 2020, four star OT and four star DT, might be at least worth making inquiries (although I have no idea if they're any good). There's another four star OT in Lawrence next year, as well. Again, I've got no idea if he's any good, but maybe at least evaluate him and see if the kid is worth pursuing.

In any case, while their might be some regional loyalty in Colorado or Kansas City area, I'm sure it's not going to be like trying to pull a University Lab kid away from LSU. Definitely worth at least trying to work the area a little bit, the same way they've done with California and St. Louis. Why should we cede those areas to the PAC-whatever, the B1G, and [shudder] OU without at least putting up a fight?

15 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Move Meekins to analyst role at similar compensation....... probably could later transition to Shipley's spot when Shipley retires.

10 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Why do you need an ace recruiter on the D side? You don't need to be a defensive coach to land elite defensive players. Hell Beaty landed Myles fucking Garrett. Unless you think there's a position group in need of better coaching on D, it's not necessary. It's best recruiters available while ensuring every position group has someone legit coaching them. We have enough to coach every group and from a coaching standpoint everyone seems to be doing pretty damn well.

TE coach should be a plus recruiting position and I'm not sure we have that with Meekins.  I don't think we need to add an ace recruiter on the D side to recruit D players specifically but for staff balance (currently 7 O coaches including Herman and 4 D).

Edited by elguapo

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I don't really care one way or another if Herman is going to call the plays, but he damn sure needs to shake up the staff accordingly if he is going to continue to do it. It's pointless having an OC up in the booth basically just watching the game like some $200 donor.

Astute observation. That's why Beck doesn't sit up there basically just watching the game like some $200 donor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I don't really care one way or another if Herman is going to call the plays, but he damn sure needs to shake up the staff accordingly if he is going to continue to do it. It's pointless having an OC up in the booth basically just watching the game like some $200 donor.

Such a good point. If Herman is going to call plays, then we should have someone who’s a solid QB coach and a great recruiter in that position, like....Tim Beck.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

TE coach should be a plus recruiting position and I'm not sure we have that with Meekins.  I don't necessarily think we need to an ace recruiter on the D side to recruit D players specifically but for staff balance (currently 7 O coaches including Herman and 4 D).

wait, Washington doesn't count as an ace recruiter? dude has been killing it from day 1 here...

• Like 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Such a good point. If Herman is going to call plays, then we should have someone who’s a solid QB coach and a great recruiter in that position, like....Tim Beck.

throw in that he is comfortable with Beck and Beck appears to be comfortable with not calling plays or wanting to jump to greener pastures and you have a good situation.

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mentioned Ealy in the update I provided late last week, but he's almost a certainty to go straight to the minors in baseball. He's "Warrick Dunn" on the football field if he does decide to play CFB. I think he's worth reaching out to, in case he comes back from baseball 5-7 years from now and wants to play CFB.

Now that’s some fucking Mensa level thinking 

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

throw in that he is comfortable with Beck and Beck appears to be comfortable with not calling plays or wanting to jump to greener pastures and you have a good situation.

Interesting how sports talk shows talking about differences in Clemson staff turnover and Bama staff turnover....... something like 15+ assistants have left Bama in last 5yrs... vs.... possibly only 2 at Clemson..

On Cowturd today..... Joel Klatt called the difference in the staffs is kinda like working for "Family" (Clemson), or working for a "Factory" (Bama).

Saban is said to be BRUTAL to work for.....

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting how sports talk shows talking about differences in Clemson staff turnover and Bama staff turnover....

something like 15+ assistants have left Bama in last 5yrs... vs.... possibly only 2 at Clemson..

On Cowturd today..... Joel Klatt called the difference in the staffs is kinda like working for "Family" (Clemson), or working for a "Factory" (Bama).

Clemson only turning over 2 assistant coaches in the last 4 years with the run they’ve been on is incredible. 

5 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Clemson only turning over 2 assistant coaches in the last 4 years with the run they’ve been on is incredible. 

Saw this on another thread on Clemson staff stability.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/clemson-assistants-arent-jumping-ship-offered-top-coaching-jobs-234001107.html

Article Quote:  "The best advice I’ve been given is, ‘Don’t mess with happy,’ ” Scott said. “That’s the best word to describe what we’ve got going on at Clemson. Everybody’s happy.”

Edited by LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting how sports talk shows talking about differences in Clemson staff turnover and Bama staff turnover....... something like 15+ assistants have left Bama in last 5yrs... vs.... possibly only 2 at Clemson..

Please note saban's headset assault on the sideline of the OU game. That mans crazy. 

I wonder if all the players love him? Because thats important,  right?

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

Please note saban's headset assault on the sideline of the OU game. That mans crazy. 

I wonder if all the players love him? Because thats important,  right?

Odd thing is there was no such outburst last night.  Saban didn't seem to have any energy, nor did his team.

6 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Odd thing is there was no such outburst last night.  Saban didn't seem to have any energy, nor did his team.

Naw.  Saban does that shit for tactical reasons--to fight complacency.  He only does shit like that when his team is winning (usually handily).  When they're not winning, he's an encourager.  When they're winning big time, he's super critical.

• Like 2

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know - a ton of their coaches are Clemson graduates - and Dabo seems like a great guy to work for.  Steve Spurrier-esque in his desire for his coaches to have a life outside football.

I think most coaches aspire to run their own program one day. Not all. But most. It's inherent to the industry. I'm guessing a lot of dudes on that staff will be approached with that opportunity very soon. 

44 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

34 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

It was very noticeable how much calmer he was.

7 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

LJH is going pro - bummer.

full text

Spoiler

Via UT release

Junior wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey announced on Tuesday afternoon that he will forgo his senior season and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft

Statement from Humphrey:
“I would like to first thank God for blessing me with the ability to play the sport that we all love. Next, I would like to thank my family for always having my back and helping me grow as a young man each and every day. I would also like to thank Coach Strong for giving me the chance to attend such a prestigious university. Furthermore, I would like to thank The University of Texas at Austin for giving me an incredible college experience full of support and growth from the students, staff on campus and fans. I would like to give a special thanks to the academic support team, nutrition and equipment staffs for all the time they have invested into the team. Lastly, I would like to thank Coach Herman, Coach McKnight, Coach Mehringer, Coach Meekins and Coach Samples for the time they have spent developing me into the young adult I am now and helping me prepare for my future. It has not been an easy decision, but after a lot of thoughts and prayers, I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft. I’m forever grateful to be a part of a family that was so close together. I loved my time at UT. I’m going to represent UT on and off the field as I move forward in my career to take care of my family and all the communities that I can. Hook ‘Em Horns for life!”

Humphrey finished his junior season with 86 catches for 1,176 yards and nine touchdowns. His 86 catches were fifth-most in school history, his 1,176 yards were third-most and his nine touchdowns were tied for seventh. For his career, he totaled 125 receptions for 1,622 yards and 10 touchdowns. His 125 receptions finish tied for 10th-most in school history, while his 1,622 yards finish just outside the Top 10.

bad decision is bad. 

590239322f6ae426018b4b50-960-719.png

Has anyone heard anything about us going for a JUCO or grad transfer CB? Doesn't make sense why the staff doesn't seem to be going after someone who can at least be depth at that position next year. Our 2019 outside CBs are: Cook, Green, Boyce, and Watson (Caldwell is coming off an injury and raw so won't be ready to play).  Even if both Cook and Green develop like we hope, we really have nothing behind them.  Until I see otherwise, I don't really view Boyce as much of an option. He was terrible whenever he got playing time this year. A single injury to either of them could really kill our whole defense. It'll be OSU game all over again. Maybe we could move Thompson to outside CB if Jamison takes over the Nickel spot, but I'm not sure Jamison can hold up in run support the way Orlando requires the Nickel to in his defense. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Has anyone heard anything about us going for a JUCO or grad transfer CB? Doesn't make sense why the staff doesn't seem to be going after someone who can at least be depth at that position next year. Our 2019 outside CBs are: Cook, Green, Boyce, and Watson (Caldwell is coming off an injury and raw so won't be ready to play).  Even if both Cook and Green develop like we hope, we really have nothing behind them.  Until I see otherwise, I don't really view Boyce as much of an option. He was terrible whenever he got playing time this year. A single injury to either of them could really kill our whole defense. It'll be OSU game all over again. Maybe we could move Thompson to outside CB if Jamison takes over the Nickel spot, but I'm not sure Jamison can hold up in run support the way Orlando requires the Nickel to in his defense. 

Turns out grad transfer CBs that could contribute at Texas are hard to come by.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Obviously, but we didn't even go after a single JUCO CB, either. Just seems like a bit of a hole on our roster next year, and this staff is usually more proactive plugging holes than Vic Mackey at a Weight Watchers meeting.  

They were proactive by signing the best defensive back group in the history of the program last year. 

I would call that pretty proactive. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

full text

Reveal hidden contents

Via UT release

Junior wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey announced on Tuesday afternoon that he will forgo his senior season and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft

Statement from Humphrey:
“I would like to first thank God for blessing me with the ability to play the sport that we all love. Next, I would like to thank my family for always having my back and helping me grow as a young man each and every day. I would also like to thank Coach Strong for giving me the chance to attend such a prestigious university. Furthermore, I would like to thank The University of Texas at Austin for giving me an incredible college experience full of support and growth from the students, staff on campus and fans. I would like to give a special thanks to the academic support team, nutrition and equipment staffs for all the time they have invested into the team. Lastly, I would like to thank Coach Herman, Coach McKnight, Coach Mehringer, Coach Meekins and Coach Samples for the time they have spent developing me into the young adult I am now and helping me prepare for my future. It has not been an easy decision, but after a lot of thoughts and prayers, I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft. I’m forever grateful to be a part of a family that was so close together. I loved my time at UT. I’m going to represent UT on and off the field as I move forward in my career to take care of my family and all the communities that I can. Hook ‘Em Horns for life!”

Humphrey finished his junior season with 86 catches for 1,176 yards and nine touchdowns. His 86 catches were fifth-most in school history, his 1,176 yards were third-most and his nine touchdowns were tied for seventh. For his career, he totaled 125 receptions for 1,622 yards and 10 touchdowns. His 125 receptions finish tied for 10th-most in school history, while his 1,622 yards finish just outside the Top 10.

bad decision is bad. 

590239322f6ae426018b4b50-960-719.png

As has been pointed out before, many players declare early to get to your second contract sooner. Staying another year was not going to make him a first round draft pick. He's never going to run fast enough to make it into the first round. He MIGHT get selected in the second round, but I doubt it. And I doubt he improves on his productivity this year. By your own chart, there is almost zero difference in money in rounds three and beyond. May as well declare and get to that second contract sooner. 

Also, can anyone explain the dramatic dip in guaranteed money 2/3rds of the way through the first round, and the inexplicable increase in signing bonus at the very end of the second round?

• Like 5