Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Machinator said:

No idea. Doesn't seem like Tennessee is in consideration anymore.

I believe @Fud has some insight on this, but Tennessee's official version of events is that they needed a spot for a regional late bloomer high school kid, and they mutually parted ways. But there was some speculation the Vols trap doored him because of the math class. If your conference isn't going to let the kid play, why take him? 

Not sure on Arky. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe @Fud has some insight on this, but Tennessee's official version of events is that they needed a spot for a regional late bloomer high school kid, and they mutually parted ways. But there was some speculation the Vols trap doored him because of the math class. If your conference isn't going to let the kid play, why take him? 

Not sure on Arky. 

Matt Luke has the intelligence of an eggplant but even he's not going to blow an OV on a guy with no chance of getting in.

Dg8Re_nVMAEoUe_.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

would smash...

On 1/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, nycHorn said:

Dude looks like the Six Flags old man got ripped but skipped leg day.

Look at the photo again nycHorn.

He didn't SKIP leg day, he just didn't understand whose legs he was supposed to be working on.

4 hours ago, Modessit said:
8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Believe it or not, yes. It's a SEC Conference rule for JUCO transfers. It's why Gary Johnson played for Texas and not Nick Saban. 

I don't think we had much of a shot of getting Nick Saban to play for Texas anyway.

We did until Mack Brown got involved.

• Like 1

So is the expected close Henry, Proctor and a JUCO OL? It appears to me Proctor is a priority over the UCLA/Belton guy. Is the North Shore DB unlikely? Is the JUCO OL a priority over Shepherd, an either/or, a fallback, or why not both? I tend to think more of an either/or as Herman generally states that he only recruits guys that have the ability to compete for a national championship.

As for the JUCO OL, I am still unclear on who the staff is prioritizing. The board seems to prefer Olaseni as he is the highest rated, but the staff hasn't seemed to tip its hand.

34 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So is the expected close Henry, Proctor and a JUCO OL? It appears to me Proctor is a priority over the UCLA/Belton guy. Is the North Shore DB unlikely? Is the JUCO OL a priority over Shepherd, an either/or, a fallback, or why not both? I tend to think more of an either/or as Herman generally states that he only recruits guys that have the ability to compete for a national championship.

As for the JUCO OL, I am still unclear on who the staff is prioritizing. The board seems to prefer Olaseni as he is the highest rated, but the staff hasn't seemed to tip its hand.

I believe the staff’s ideal finish is: Proctor, Richmond, Henry and save the ships for 2020.

Fud has mentioned previously that Stewart might have qualification issues. 

The staff would probably be after a grad transfer RB, but there’s just not much out there right now. I hope they revisit it in May. 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fud has mentioned previously that Stewart might have qualification issues

Again, that was CTJ on this board who brought that up.

Fud's a great poster but he's not all-knowing. We don't need to make him a TFloss.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Perhaps, probably. The IT guys are pretty convinced Ira is the next man up if Shepherd flips which of course is likely. 

Are they? I haven't really gotten that sense, but I've mostly moved on mentally from 2019

6 hours ago, Modessit said:
9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Believe it or not, yes. It's a SEC Conference rule for JUCO transfers. It's why Gary Johnson played for Texas and not Nick Saban. 

I don't think we had much of a shot of getting Nick Saban to play for Texas anyway.

I love it when I run across someone with the exact same sense of humor as me. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Again, that was CTJ on this board who brought that up.

Fud's a great poster but he's not omniscient. We don't need to make him a TFloss.

Thanks. Also, I didn’t say he would have a qualification issue. I implied he’d have a hard time staying eligible at a good school. Pretty sure he’ll get in wherever. 

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thanks. Now I remember. I would be surprised we would take 2 transfers on the OL over a transfer and a JUCO. And Richmond wasn't great at OT so I would think he would be moved inside. Of course, I would not expect Richmond to go to a school that wanted to move him to guard.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-tuesday-january-22nd/

Updates | OL Grad Transfer RJ Proctor
– CJ Vogel

I caught up with Virginia OL grad transfer RJ Proctor following Coach Herb Hand’s visit with him. Proctor said the visit went well.

Hand and the Texas staff envision Proctor as a plug-and-play at one of the guard positions with the positions left vacant by Patrick Vahe and Elijah Rodriguez’s departures. For Proctor, being able to play immediately is very important.

“[Immediate playing time] does impact my decision,” said Proctor. “A lot of schools blow smoke. I don’t want to go somewhere that wants me, I want to go somewhere that needs me.”

Proctor said he plans on visiting Ohio State and Florida State in the near future.

He will make a decision in March.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe the staff’s ideal finish is: Proctor, Richmond, Henry and save the ships for 2020.

Fud has mentioned previously that Stewart might have qualification issues. 

The staff would probably be after a grad transfer RB, but there’s just not much out there right now. I hope they revisit it in May. 

Questions: 

1) Since Proctor (UVA- OG) is a grad transfer, he won't count against the 2019 recruiting class numbers right??

2) Will Drew Richmond (OT) be a grad transfer if he leaves Tennessee??

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, satyanash said:

247Sports is introducing a separate database and set of rankings for transfers.

They're going to be ranking these guys based on current ability according to Terry. That should be hilarious for the lack of playing time transfers. How are they planning to rate those guys considering they haven't seen them play since high school?

Proctor and Richmond should be extremely competitive recruitments. Think Calvin Anderson, but without proximity working in our favor. 

Based on his Twitter follows, I think Hand is more confident with Proctor. The only interior OL transfer candidates Hand is following are : Proctor, Murphy, and Bland. 

Different story with OTs. Hand is following almost every grad and JUCO transfer candidate in the country. 

49 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They're going to be ranking these guys based on current ability according to Terry. That should be hilarious for the lack of playing time transfers. How are they planning to rate those guys considering they haven't seen them play since high school?

Same way the recruiting industry does everything, pure bullshit

Edited by pacman