VY still got it.

Goo Punch

I was rewatching Mack's speech in the locker room after the Rose Bowl.  VY obviously lost his way on the last part of it....but damn here are the guys in the locker room with them.  MM of course which seems cool, but beyond that we got Roger Clemens (I don't have serious issue there, some might), Lance Armstrong (doh) and Steve McNair (ouch)

I've long thought the best role for VY at Texas would be as a recruiting assistant.  Fly him with the position coach to capture the elite 4 / 5 stars all over the country.  I have no idea what his part time job at UT entailed, but if not related to recruiting, had no value IMO.  Can you see VY in the house with momma and the recruit? The legend, the charm, the down home attitude... Texas would clean up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

I've long thought the best role for VY at Texas would be as a recruiting assistant.  Fly him with the position coach to capture the elite 4 / 5 stars all over the country.  I have no idea what his part time job at UT entailed, but if not related to recruiting, had no value IMO.  Can you see VY in the house with momma and the recruit? The legend, the charm, the down home attitude... Texas would clean up. 

I think given that it seems pretty obvious VY has a major alcohol problem that sending him regularly out on the road would not have ended well either.

• Like 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I think given that it seems pretty obvious VY has a major alcohol problem that sending him regularly out on the road would not have ended well either.

he'd be with UT coaches, sometimes Herman too i'd imagine.  Always with someone. 

3 minutes ago, NowThis said:

he'd be with UT coaches, sometimes Herman too i'd imagine.  Always with someone. 

Even worse...and not because those guys are bad but they should be able to cut loose a little without having to worry that one of the guys they are with is going to have to be wetnursed and or may potentially end up in a situation that they want no part of.  Exhibit A: Zach Smith (and in no way comparing VY to that lunatic but it's on a different part of the same basic slope of "public" trouble)

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're not allowed to leave campus to recruit unless you're an assistant coach.

this doesn't sound recruiting related - that's VY's dream vocation and he'll excel.  VY needs to lay low, behave, and Herman might give him a shot. Probably need a little of Mack intervention though.  

from 2014 -- The university announced Thursday that it has hired the former Longhorns quarterback to work with the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. His duties will include helping with alumni relations and focusing on programs that support first-generation college students from low-income backgrounds.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Throw on the fact recruits were 4(?) years old when VY owned the rose bowl. Also, he don't talk good. 

neither do recruits, they speak the same language. Wasn't it Deshaun Watson who mentioned VY after winning the title?  

42 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Vince won the Rose Bowl more than a decade ago. I doubt he has any hero status among today’s recruits.

14 minutes ago, housious said:

Vince won the Rose Bowl more than a decade ago. I doubt he has any hero status among today’s recruits.

it's his personality too.  He's cool bro, unmatched by any other.  Who is doing the Cleve Bryant role these days? /no sex jokes plz. 

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

neither do recruits, they speak the same language. Wasn't it Deshaun Watson who mentioned VY after winning the title?  

If you actually looked past their skin color, you'd be able to tell that Watson is far more articulate/smart than VY is. It's pretty naive to think that VY could hit it off with any recruit. I don't think VY could sell the school to recruits by talking to them about it. Watson was old enough to actually remember watching VY play, current & future recruits are not. 

• Like 1

JFC, some of yall never want to hold him accountable, huh? "Well maybe he can just get *this* for money." As if sitting in some office literally doing nothing and getting paid $100k wasn't easy enough, he had to screw that up and not even show up for work or try at all. 

Maybe what he needs is to hit rock bottom for real. Hopefully not like JR Richard as someone compared earlier, but it's looking more and more like that will be what it takes. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Who the fuck agrees to this?

I don’t know the details of the deal. If they paid him $1 million up front before he was even drafted for perpetual naming rights to one steakhouse location, that’s a sweet deal for anyone. More likely in the $100-500k range I’d guess, but if invested properly it may have panned out better than a deal of 1-5% annual royalties. Or if he really needed/wanted cash in the spring of 2006 before getting his first NFL check, that’s a decision he made. At the time, a steakhouse naming deal wasn’t thought to be more than pocket change in his lifetime earnings. 

His job for UT was to call alumni and ask them to donate to university programs/scholarships/research/endowment, and they paid him $100k. From a cost benefit basis, I wondered if Vince would bring in more than $100k more than some coed interns making the same calls, justifying his salary. I’m team VY and was glad that his $100k job might bring him some stability and humility, but that appears to not be the case. 

10 hours ago, NowThis said:

this doesn't sound recruiting related - that's VY's dream vocation and he'll excel.  VY needs to lay low, behave, and Herman might give him a shot. Probably need a little of Mack intervention though.  

from 2014 -- The university announced Thursday that it has hired the former Longhorns quarterback to work with the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. His duties will include helping with alumni relations and focusing on programs that support first-generation college students from low-income backgrounds.

Herman's (and the school) not going to touch him at this point until he makes clear steps to kick the bottle and be an accountable human. And that's good.

Don't see this as UT trying to smear Vince's name - - UT probably would prefer that this termination was private.  Details of the firing were uncovered by a reporter through an open record request.....

"Young’s March 1 firing letter says he was dismissed “for not demonstrating significant and sustained improvement in the performance of (his) job responsibilities and failing to maintain standards of conduct suitable and acceptable to the university.” He has been given job warnings dating back to 2017.  The Associated Press obtained the letter and Young’s personnel file through an open records request."

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Herman's (and the school) not going to touch him at this point until he makes clear steps to kick the bottle and be an accountable human. And that's good.

Correct.

Do not rescue him from  consequences, or as they say in AA, don't rob him of pain & experience.

• Like 2

Why would anyone hire Vince Young to call old rich white fucks to beg for money? He isn't Mack Brown(noser). He's a semi-literate former athlete who was one of the greatest college football players of all time. You hire him to hang out and party with the rich old white guys to make them feel cool and liquored up so then they give the money. 

Rich old football obsessed whitey doesn't want a phone call from someone they consider intellectually inferior. They do want to party with the guy they remember being the ultimate football badass though. 

14 hours ago, NowThis said:

Vince couldn't handle a part-time job with few responsibilities and you think he's going to excel at something like a coordinator?

I truly wish him the best and hope he gets his shit together, but like others have said in this thread he needs to hit rock bottom and sober up if he's going to succeed again.  Giving the guy handouts isn't going to help him in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Correct.

Do not rescue him from  consequences, or as they say in AA, don't rob him of pain & experience.

Right. The sooner he hits the ground in a way that's profoundly painful, the sooner he can start recovering. As long as he bounces, he'll tell himself he can still beat gravity.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Cautionary tale from the north....

Well Marcus was the greatest that never was.  Likely among the 5-6 most talented backs in the past 50 years. 

Vince very much was.  Ask USC.  

But yes, definitely many a cautionary tale for Vince to check out but he still seems to think it’s the world doing him wrong.  

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well Marcus was the greatest that never was.  Likely among the 5-6 most talented backs in the past 50 years. 

Vince very much was.  Ask USC.  

But yes, definitely many a cautionary tale for Vince to check out but he still seems to think it’s the world doing him wrong.  

Yea not so much college was more angling for the present where Dupree pissed away all the talent and goodwill, drives a truck and lives in a shitty house in bumfuck Mississippi that has more leaks than the Trump admin.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea not so much college was more angling for the present where Dupree pissed away all the talent and goodwill, drives a truck and lives in a shitty house in bumfuck Mississippi that has more leaks than the Trump admin.  

Lol.  Got it.  

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

His job for UT was to call alumni and ask them to donate to university programs/scholarships/research/endowment, and they paid him $100k. From a cost benefit basis, I wondered if Vince would bring in more than $100k more than some coed interns making the same calls, justifying his salary. I’m team VY and was glad that his $100k job might bring him some stability and humility, but that appears to not be the case. 

I read in the paper this morning, that he was only being paid $50K.  So, for what's that's worth.  Still got fired, and will need to find a job, I'm guessing.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Why would anyone hire Vince Young to call old rich white fucks to beg for money? He isn't Mack Brown(noser). He's a semi-literate former athlete who was one of the greatest college football players of all time. You hire him to hang out and party with the rich old white guys to make them feel cool and liquored up so then they give the money. 

Rich old football obsessed whitey doesn't want a phone call from someone they consider intellectually inferior. They do want to party with the guy they remember being the ultimate football badass though. 

I was right with you, until I wasn’t. 

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

that was his momma's house Switzer paid for, I don't think he or anyone was living there anymore.

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

In all fairness, Marcus is living among the top 25% of his peers in Mississippi.  Earning above min wage likely secured that.

I guess Vince found out that telling your academic boss to "just let Vince be Vince" does not work out nearly as well as it does with your coach especially when you can't cover up your fuck ups

still love the guy and wish him the best, but I am kind of pissed off about the academic job and how he pissed that away.....that was basically the annual tuition of two students or a decent chunk of a full professors pay (probably 1/2 to 1/3 depending on the degree program)

Texas took a pretty big reach hiring him, but you hear "diversity and inclusion" and bullshit like that and figure for $100,000 (or was it $50,000) that if Texas manages to land some kids that have a bright future that might have gone elsewhere it could be worth it.....but I doubt Vince got that done

as for the restaurant I think it just shows that when things are fucked around you even decisions that seem sound end up fucking you......restaurants fail at a alarming rate especially ones named for athletes and other big time people so the advisers for Vince were probably telling him fuck the % get your money now because in 5 years you will not be getting shit and that restaurant will be long gone and you will have the rights to your name on a restaurant back and can do it again.....well apparently the managing partner or owner are much better business people than Vince or any of his shitty advisers