Grilled Cheese Tasting Night

Macanudo

Just one of those stupid things you decide to do because, well, why not?

I don't make them nearly as often as I used to but I still like a good one every now and then.   I normally make them with Sharp Cheddar.   When the Macanudo-ettes were younger I used Kraft singles but I personally think a good Sharp Cheddar is the way to go. 

The cheeses for tonight:  Sharp Cheddar, regular American Cheese, Kraft singles, Gouda and Butterkase.   Threw that last one in just to try something really mild.    For bread, I went with sourdough.   Spread on some Land O' Lakes and fired up an electric skillet due to the larger surface area than a regular pan. 

Macanudo-ette #1 preferred the regular American over the others.   Macanudo-ette #2 and I remain steadfast in the belief that sharp cheddar is the way to go.   Kraft was, well, Kraft.   The gouda was good but fairly mild.  The butterkase was very mild.   

Yes, this is the way suburban dads spend their President's Day.

• Like 5

We go to a grilled cheese competition every year.  I'll throw in my general formula for a good sammich. 

-I use mayo instead of butter on the outside of the bread.  It creates the perfect crust and is easy to spread and get full coverage.  Can't taste it AT ALL for those who are going to bitch at me for using mayo.

-I toast the inside of each slice before adding the cheese and toasting the outside.

-Typically use 2 cheese for any given year (sometimes three)

-And yes, sourdough FTW.

• Like 2

Grilled cheese is greatness, but I haven't ever noticed much range from one to the next.  They're all about the same.  Just not a complex enough food.

All the little tricks really don't have much impact on the taste.  Mayo rather than butter...just easier to work with, no difference in taste.  Toast the inside...slightly crunchier, not necessarily better.  Different kinds of cheese...totally personal preference.

The worst I've ever had is burnt, usually on one side and it's served with that side down to try to hide the fact.  The best I've ever had is about the same only not burnt.

Lots of foods I could easily score on a 1-10 scale as they have that much range from shitty to great.  Grilled cheese is more like a 1-3 scale.  Worst one a 1, best one a 3.  Most everything else falls to about a 2.

I usually combine some type of cheese with american slices.  Not singles, but the white american cheese (no racist!).  Havarti, sharp cheddar, muenster are all good.  And plus one on the mayo instead of butter, although my wife thinks it will rank up the iron skillet so I use butter when she's around.

i am a fan.  had a grilled cheese at Clark's earlier this week.  i'd never really thought to order that there before because there are so many other great seafood options, but damn, it was next level GC.  big thick slices of sourdough, tons of melted gruyere,  with some warm sofrito served on the side.  

Edited by Jack Straw

1 hour ago, LonghornJones said:

Pics would be great in this thread. 

Yes, I'm having trouble seeing pics.  Must be borked again? 

I can't imagine any dumbass would start a thread about grilled cheeses and not post pics.  Seems stupid. 

18 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

While those look delicious, at some point its not a grilled cheese anymore. I'd say the addition of both a meat and a vegetable is that point. 

This ^

If you want a thread for different warm sandwiches with melted cheese...that’s a different story.   Maybe...maaaaaaybe adding one meat still qualifies (I once had a lobster one that was close), but there’s a line that needs to be drawn here.  I mean, if not, then my favorite “grilled cheese” has meatballs and marinara on it.  Or maybe steak, peppers and onions on it.

While those look delicious, at some point its not a grilled cheese anymore. I'd say the addition of both a meat and a vegetable is that point. 
You don't know how wrong you are. A pair of nice toasted Texas white with mayo on the back combined with some melted sharp cheddar and leftover brisket. Just beautiful
  • Like 1

I did not start this thread...

Only suggested bacon on a grilled cheese and obliged the "need pics" suggestion.

Will post pics of grilled cheese sandwiches tomorrow.

But while I am here I suggest you grill some thin apple slices in the melted butter and then add them to the sandwich with the cheese of your choice before you grill it in the same pan.

12 hours ago, Spur08 said:
15 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

You don't know how wrong you are. A pair of nice toasted Texas white with mayo on the back combined with some melted sharp cheddar and leftover brisket. Just beautiful

That sounds like an awesome sandwich. However, that does not sound like a grilled cheese.

My oldest kid eats a grilled cheese at least once or twice a week. She prefers a mix of shredded cheese piled up on it rather than sliced cheese. I’ve never tried it to see what the difference is. She may just be communist though.

From Reddit, but I feel like it adequately explains my opinion.

A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire subreddit consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this subreddit is called "grilledcheese" is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese. I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled "melts" because that is not a fucking grilled cheese. I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. Shit, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over reddit and it's been driving me insane. The moment i saw this subreddit this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own subreddit just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.[/qoute]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brew said:

That sounds like an awesome sandwich. However, that does not sound like a grilled cheese.

My oldest kid eats a grilled cheese at least once or twice a week. She prefers a mix of shredded cheese piled up on it rather than sliced cheese. I’ve never tried it to see what the difference is. She may just be communist though.

The grated cheese definitely melts better than sliced, IMO. I use it as long as I’m not feeling too lazy. (Grated yourself, of course-the prepackaged stuff doesn’t melt as well.)

Oh and another vote for grilled cheese purists here.

Edited by formermav43

20 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This ^

If you want a thread for different warm sandwiches with melted cheese...that’s a different story.   Maybe...maaaaaaybe adding one meat still qualifies (I once had a lobster one that was close), but there’s a line that needs to be drawn here.  I mean, if not, then my favorite “grilled cheese” has meatballs and marinara on it.  Or maybe steak, peppers and onions on it.

PSA - the lobster grilled cheese and tomato soup at Garbo's is pretty fucking good.

I picked up some ghost pepper laced cheddar at Trader Joe's yesterday that is destined for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Entirely due to this thread, I made a bacon grilled cheese last week. I used extra sharp cheddar and instead of buttering the bread, I drained most, (but not all) of the fat from the bacon, added a pat of butter to the pan and toasted the sandwich in the bacon fat/butter. It worked.

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

I picked up some ghost pepper laced cheddar at Trader Joe's yesterday that is destined for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Entirely due to this thread, I made a bacon grilled cheese last week. I used extra sharp cheddar and instead of buttering the bread, I drained most, (but not all) of the fat from the bacon, added a pat of butter to the pan and toasted the sandwich in the bacon fat/butter. It worked.

Yep, that's my go-to method.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Why didn't you just use the bacon fat, skip the butter?

On 2/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, Deej said:

Grilled cheese made with white bread, American cheese slices, and about a stick of butter, with pickles and original Lays potato chips on the side is my comfort food.

one of mine too.  keepin' it simple sometimes is best in life.  that said, white american cheese slices is even better.