Golden Age of TV Mount Rushmore

DCA_HORN

Not sure if there is already a thread on this but didn’t find one.  What about the Mount Rushmore of comedy TV shows.  If there is already a thread disregard this.

1) Seinfeld

2) Cheers

3) The Simpsons (based on the first 10 years only)

4) Curb Your Enthusiasm (really not sure on this one as there are another 5-10 series just as good)

13 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Mad Men

Only acceptable answer.

13 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Mad Men

And I would replace Game of Thrones with The Americans.

The fuck?

13 hours ago, cdain3 said:

Fuck off

This right here.

46 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Comedy Mount Rushmore:

• I Love Lucy
  • All in the Family
  • MASH
  • Seinfeld

I debated replacing MASH with Happy Days.

I'd put Cheers in there instead of Happy Days, and I was a loyal fan.

MASH, the first 3-4 seasons for damn sure, after Radar left,  it started to suck and got all friggin preachy kumba ya.

And while I wouldn't say Rushmore, the Newhart Show bedroom scene is the best ending of any show of all time.

14 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Mad Men

And I would replace Game of Thrones with The Americans.

wow, just wow

38 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

anyone who ranks game of thrones ahead of mad men is not a very smart person.

maybe but it means they have good taste

here is my top five:

1) Rome

2) Game of Thrones

3) Sopranos

4) Breaking Bad

5) Curb Your Enthusiasm

4 hours ago, irockalltherocks said:

Not advocating for it, and it was before most of these shows, but Lost used to get mentioned quite a bit as on of the all-time best TV shows. I suppose the ending torpedoed that notion.

Letdown ending or no, I still say Lost is up there with the best shows ever produced by the old school broadcast TV networks.  At its worst it was merely entertaining, at its best it could hold its own with any show listed here.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, RPM said:

There are 2 MASHs. With Henry and without Henry. Kinda like Andy Griffith without Barney. Everything changed.

The first year or so with Col.Potter was fine. Once Radar left, and they tried to make Klinger a major player (he got really lame) it started going downhill. Then Alda got all fucking preachy with his BS, and the humor went away.  The last episode was goodish, but not great.

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

anyone who ranks game of thrones ahead of mad men is not a very smart person.

I'd say the opposite.  Both shows are great, but GoT is more water cooler and group watch worthy.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

wow, just wow

here is my top five:

1) Rome

2) Game of Thrones

3) Sopranos

4) Breaking Bad

5) Curb Your Enthusiasm

Good list.  Forgot about Rome.

For me its GOT and nothing else is particularly close.  The Wire was great, especially how they changed up the show's perspective and main storyline each season while still maintaining threads to previous seasons.  I thought Mad Men while very good, could have been a better show without the Don Draper war history stolen identity shit.  I thought his past was boring compared to his modern corporate and home life story lines. Also there was not nearly enough Roger Sterling or Joan.  Oh and Pete Campbell did not get assaulted enough.  That guy is perhaps the single most unlikable character I can think of off that top of my head.

Breaking Bad also great.  The crazy part of that show is who thinks of that shit?  I mean when I read what the show was about...it sounds ridiculous but they nailed it and the Walter White character arc was incredibly well done.

I think Sopranos is by far the weakest of the shows in the OP.  I stopped watching that after 3-4 seasons or so and never cared to pick it back up.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

wow, just wow

here is my top five:

1) Rome

2) Game of Thrones

3) Sopranos

4) Breaking Bad

5) Curb Your Enthusiasm

1) Rome has a "Deadwood" problem, there's just not a big enough body of work to compete; but, what's there is fucking amazing television.

• Like 1