How Fox News works

retread

Imagine using The Simpsons as an exhibit to prove your client's innocence:

https://www.nbcnews.com/media/live-blog/-fox-news-dominion-trial-live-updates-rcna79492#rcrd12554

Fox's lengthy list of trial exhibits includes four clips from "The Simpsons," a cornerstone of the Fox broadcasting network's prime-time lineup for more than 30 years.

The clips in question each include scenes in which Homer Simpson votes in a presidential election:

— Season 20's "Treehouse of Horror XIX" shows him attempting to cast a ballot for Barack Obama.

— The promotional short "Homer Votes 2012" shows him voting for Mitt Romney.

— The YouTube short "Homer Votes 2016" features Russian President Vladimir Putin disguising himself as an American voter and trying to convince Homer to vote for Trump.

— Season 32's "Treehouse of Horror XXXI" finds Homer unsure whether to vote for Trump or Biden.

It was not immediately clear why the clips were included in Fox's list of exhibits. The half-hour prime-time version of "The Simpsons" has aired on Fox since 1989, although the series is now technically produced by Disney, which acquired Murdoch's entertainment assets in 2019.

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Settled?! lol Fox didn’t even allow for opening statements. I wonder how much they paid

Boo. Given the content of what Fox "allegedly" lied about, this was an important case to play out in public. 

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is there any possibility the settlement is for anything more than just money? 

It almost certainly includes an on-air apology by Fox.  It SHOULD include at least 1,000 hours of on-air apologies, but it probably won't.

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is probably true, but in I’m also willing to bet they’ve been working towards a deal since at least Friday- especially in light of yesterday’s delay. I think the timing of waiting until just before opening statements means Fox was scared of just those being blasted worldwide 

• Hook 'Em 1

Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis praised both sides after they abruptly settled the defamation case between Fox News and Dominion Voting Systems at the last second. 

He said, “I have been on the bench since 2010… I think this is the best lawyering I’ve had, ever.” 

What the actual fuck?

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/fox-news-dominion-trial-04-18-23/h_de2844f463a6d16f5e1f59a7f2d968b3

Just in case any of you think this is over for Fox News:

Smartmatic pledges to 'expose the rest' of Fox's 'disinformation campaign' in its own lawsuit

Lillian Rizzo, CNBC and Daniel Arkin

Dominion wasn't the only voting machine company suing Fox. Smartmatic, a multinational firm that makes electronic voting systems, is pursuing a $2.7 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox in New York Supreme Court.

Smartmatic released a statement after the Dominion settlement was announced, and it makes clear the company is not backing down:

"Dominion’s litigation exposed some of the misconduct and damage caused by Fox’s disinformation campaign. Smartmatic will expose the rest. Smartmatic remains committed to clearing its name, recouping the significant damage done to the company, and holding Fox accountable for undermining democracy."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"degree of accountability" lol this will be forgotten by the weekend

Right. In the same way that a fart in a tornado makes up a "degree" of the wind speed.

The only way this could potentially move the needle for people lost in the FNC sauce of bullshit was to see their nightly entertainers on the stand being grilled about purposeful lies. And that probably wouldn't even have done anything.

Fuck everything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Newsmax/OANN put on notice.

They’re hoping to pick up viewers from the Fox audience who just wants to be told what they want to hear. Just don’t lie about anyone who can afford to sue. That’s the only lesson here.

Anyone who gets their “news” from any of these networks, and that includes America’s Voice, is a moron.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wouldn't a settlement have to come with a pretty massive apology, directed at Fox viewers? Dominion would be cooked moving forward without it (and probably is anyway). 

I think Dominion has 787 million reasons to not give a wet fart fuck about moving forward at all. Which is a bummer man.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1