How Fox News works

retread

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Confessions of what? Apparently non criminal activity to overthrow our democracy? Fuck, we can't even disbar Powell for lying because we """don't have enough evidence"""

First of all, as reported elsewhere, the Bar is resuming the disbarment fight, so saying we can't even disbar Powell is premature, if not false.

Second, the problems with the Bar case were manifold.  One of them seems to be that the Bar didn't do a very good job of either a) developing or b) presenting evidence that Powell lied, not on Fox or elsewhere, but in her lawsuits.

And, you clearly wouldn't know courtroom evidence if it bit you on the ass, or how to evaluate statements in pleadings.  When you get to that level of details, your facile "we all know Powell lied because we saw it on TV" or "because we saw the email she sent to Tucker" or "I saw it on tWiTteR" just doesn't hold up.

I never said we "don't" have enough evidence.  I have said repeatedly that it's harder than it appears to generate that evidence for use in a courtroom proceeding.  And, whether it is actually difficult or not, for whatever various reasons, the Bar didn't seem to do a very good job of making their case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

No argument from me.
But Dominion’s lawyers represent and owe a duty to Dominion, not to you and me.
I wish someone was fighting for our democracy. Doesn’t really seem to be.

I think Jack Smith is.

I think the 600 plus convictions of 1/6 people is a blow, with another 400 to come.

I think Fani Willis is.

Alvin Bragg has pissed on a spark plug.

In the end, though, I'm not sure the legal system can get it done, no matter what it does.  This Fox case is just a demo of just how immune to truth Trumpkins and the GQP are, really.

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Dominion's annual revenue is ~$15-20 million.

Fox News Channel's is $14 BILLION.

David took down Goliath today. 

Yep, and that's why it was going to be hard for Dominion to get to 1.6B.  That's 80 fucking years of current revenue.

I wonder, though, if there's something kinky creative like Fox will run Dominion ads for free for 10 years or something.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Dominion is not Google, or Ford, or Amazon with billions in revenue. They have 125 employees on LinkedIn, and probably a few of those don't even work there anymore. So lets say ~150 people total and give them $200K per employee in revenue and that gets them to order of magnitude ~$30 million annually. Its not their job to save democracy. Its their job to stay in business and keep their employees fed. I don't blame them for taking $787 million now vs. waiting possibly 5+ years for some unknown payoff while their business is in limbo. Anyone actually paying attention to what went down knows the score. The hordes of maga fucktards weren't going to change their minds anyway. A trial verdict 100% in favor of Dominion would simply be written off as the swamp/deep state fucking over MAGA yet again. If fat Donnie doesn't say it, they don't fucking care. 

There's plenty about the realities of America today that  pisses me off, but I ain't gonna pin that on Dominion. I'll save my outrage for Biden, Garland, and the dems in Congress standing around jacking each other off about their sick George Santos burns on twitter. Who has more resources for saving democracy, Dominion Voting and their mighty 150 employees, or the DOJ and its 9200 attorneys?  Failure to hold Trump/GQP/Fox etc... accountable will lie at the feet of the democratic buffoons we elected, not some tiny company nobody had ever heard of until last fall. 

I do have a question for the lawyers on this board however. I assume Fox wouldnt agree to any settlement if Dominion mandated that Fox personalities admit/apologize for their fuckery on air. So Dominion takes the money now and Fox clears the first hurdle. But there's plenty of more hurdles for Fox to clear. Could the principals at Dominion and Smartmatic have an undisclosed agreement where they agree to work in tandem (discovery process, sharing intel, trial preparation, etc...)? And more importantly could that agreement also include a split of legal damages?

In other words, Dominion gets their money (a fuck ton of  money) now, not in 5-7 years after who knows how many appeals. So Dominion agrees to give half of that to Smartmatic, and Smartmatic in turn agrees to  share any awards they receive in their suit against Fox. But now with 3/4 of a billion already "booked," team Dominion/Smartmatic can play some fucking hardball. Smartmatic may still agree to a settlement and no trial in round two, but they mandate Fox and their personalities explicitly admit to lying on air. If Fox won't agree to that...." see you in court" and Tucker, Hannity, and Murdoch can admit to it under oath anyway. 

I can see some strategic advantages to an agreement like that, but that seems like it might run afoul of some legal ethics. Would you have to disclose that type of arrangement? Also, I realize that sounds pretty far out there, but ........edibles. 

My guess might be no, because I'm not sure corporate boards and officers can really get on board with things like that.

You plaintiffs types and those that employ litigation finance do that kinky shit all the time, for better or worse (probably better), but there's usually no officers answering to a board, answering to shareholders that tend to get all conservative about litigation matters.

That said, I'm sure Dominion is more than willing to cooperate with Smartmatic and is probably doing so already.  Apparently not a whole lot of protective orders covering discovery product in that case, judging by the summary judgment motion.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Now that I think about it- You’re right. I’m sure there’s an issue that would let SCOTUS grant cert based on a first amendment issue. It’s *just* like this case you learned about in law school 

Happy to help. U.S. Supreme Court reviews of State Supreme Court decisions are rare but they happen.

Acceptable I guess, but I would be a lot happier to see FOX totally out of business and all their lying talking heads kissing Biden's ass on the Whitehouse steps because they will certainly be back to doing the S.O.S. tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

Its their job to stay in business and keep their employees fed

My assumption is that the company is dead and the ownership will pocket this money and the 125 employees will get maybe a little severance. I can’t imagine they’d just run at a loss year after year using this money. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My assumption is that the company is dead and the ownership will pocket this money and the 125 employees will get maybe a little severance. I can’t imagine they’d just run at a loss year after year using this money. 

Yeah for real. What sort of company wouldn't just pocket that money and tell their employees to not go to "pity city" over a little thing like getting bupkis while execs and shareholders take fat paydays.

Dominion is gone, they took a check because they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to take a payoff from the fascists. Fox is not going to stop. They're going to find a fuckweasel way to wriggle out of paying for shit, and they're gonna keep on lying unabated. 

All the hyuking about OANN and newsmax don't make a shit, they're not even on cable anymore. Fox is still actively poisoning every person over 70 that I know. And all those old fucks are CERTAIN that fox is telling them the truth. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

Happy to help. U.S. Supreme Court reviews of State Supreme Court decisions are rare but they happen.

Interesting issue.  This article addresses that. https://harvardlawreview.org/forum/vol-131/the-certiorari-process-and-state-court-decisions/

First,

On average, state court petitions represented about 22% of the certiorari petitions filed during the period 
(21.8% to be precise). Yet state court opinions made up 14.4% of the 
Court’s merits docket in that period.

The article also notes that there is a distinct trend away from reviewing cases from state courts over the period 2002 to 2014.

I might guess that that isn't a trend resulting so much from the court's preferences, but the fact that state legislation is increasingly challenged directly in federal court (e.g. Dobbs and related bortion decisions) rather than waiting for a case to wend its way through the state courts (e.g. Roe).  

And those "strategic" federal court cases of which we see so many are designed to tee up constitutional questions cleanly, which often doesn't happen with state court decisions.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interesting issue.  This article addresses that. https://harvardlawreview.org/forum/vol-131/the-certiorari-process-and-state-court-decisions/

First,

On average, state court petitions represented about 22% of the certiorari petitions filed during the period 
(21.8% to be precise). Yet state court opinions made up 14.4% of the 
Court’s merits docket in that period.

The article also notes that there is a distinct trend away from reviewing cases from state courts over the period 2002 to 2014.

I might guess that that isn't a trend resulting so much from the court's preferences, but the fact that state legislation is increasingly challenged directly in federal court (e.g. Dobbs and related bortion decisions) rather than waiting for a case to wend its way through the state courts (e.g. Roe).  

And those "strategic" federal court cases of which we see so many are designed to tee up constitutional questions cleanly, which often doesn't happen with state court decisions.

Yes and off the top of my head I would think that, had the jury made a factual finding that Fox had acted with malice, the U.S. Supreme Court would not be able to review the sufficiency of that determination. It's a moot point now with the settlement, but it would have been something Fox should have considered before going to trial.

Also an interesting point raised by BamaChick and CaptainAnt regarding private entities vindicating public interests via civil litigation.

It's actually a notion that exists in certain contexts, specifically civil rights actions under 42 USC 1983, where attorneys fees are awarded to prevailing plaintiff based on a "private attorney general" rationale.

Class actions basically exist to permit groups of individual plaintiffs to vindicate interests of much larger groups that start to resemble the public.

Still, by and large, you can't "trust" private litigants pursuing their own private interests to reliably vindicate public interests, for better or worse.

But what this really points out is that as a general proposition, lying to the public is not actionable, either criminally or civilly, in this country.  And it is actually easier for a private party to bring a civil case when damaged by lies than for the government to do so to vindicate a public interest.

And it's not unique to the US, either; it's true of any country with notions of free speech, even if less robust than the First Amendment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They have contracts on existing machines that are good for years to come, with a few at 10 years or so.  I can't imagine that all states/counties/cities are going to just eat the costs and find a new voting machine.

Plus there aren't a lot of choices that would make MAGA happy - Election Systems & Software is the largest vendor with around 60% market share (and just to show how small these companies are personnel wise - ES&S has around 500 or so employees), but they've got their own problems with software, problematic elections going back a few cycles (although the Trump era did a number on them) and claims of fraud, even though 70 million+ people vote on them.  Hart InterCivic and Dominion round out the top three, and Republicans in Texas were going after Hart in 2018, claiming that votes were being flipped, etc.

Oh, and Smartmatic has manufactured machines for ES&S.

So yeah, if you look at those four companies, all four of them have MAGA foaming at the mouth.

It's going to be shitty the next few election cycles, particularly next year, because in years past, not many people actually looked at whose logo was on the machines they were using, but these days, every serious MAGA motherfucker is going to scrutinize what machines are being used, and then bitch loudly if their guy doesn't win.  And even if a voting jurisdiction is using a voting machine other than those companies, Trump's Trumpanzees will scream and fling shit if they don't get a victory.

Dominion has plenty of cash now and can weather this for a few cycles.  Smartmatic will get their payday.  Fox News will have to dance around allowing either of those to be dragged through the mud by future guests, and they don't want to get ES&S or Hart suing them, but you can bet social media will be full of idiots claiming Italian satellites controlled by Venezuela changed their votes.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they start doing that, it's going to get really fucking dicey for them because they will run afoul of various laws/compliance requirements that require communications be archived in a  format that can't be erased, etc.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

who will prosecute them? The Dems?

they get a boogie man to scream fed gov is coming after us, censorship etc

The legal problems still overshadowing Fox News after its Dominion settlement

tl;dr:

Smartmatic

A global election technology company headquartered in London, Smartmatic, lodged a defamation suit against Fox in February 2021. The complaint’s striking opening sentence read: “The Earth is round. Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election … ”

Abby Grossberg

In March, the former Fox News producer Abby Grossberg filed a pair of lawsuits claiming that the network’s lawyers “coached” and “intimidated” her into giving misleading testimony in the Dominion lawsuit.

Crikey

In August 2022, the Fox Corp chief executive, Lachlan Murdoch, launched defamation proceedings against the Australian independent news site Crikey. The claim related to an article published in June 2022 that referred to the Murdoch family as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the US Capitol attack.

Fox investors

This week, Reuters reported that Fox Corp shareholders were demanding company records in an effort to ascertain whether directors and executives properly oversaw Fox News coverage of Trump’s election-rigging claims. Reuters said it could be a prelude to lawsuits seeking to make directors liable for costs.

Crikey is actually being sued by Fox and they are using the evidence from the Dominion trial as part of their defense.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Yeah for real. What sort of company wouldn't just pocket that money and tell their employees to not go to "pity city" over a little thing like getting bupkis while execs and shareholders take fat paydays.

Dominion is gone, they took a check because they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to take a payoff from the fascists. Fox is not going to stop. They're going to find a fuckweasel way to wriggle out of paying for shit, and they're gonna keep on lying unabated. 

All the hyuking about OANN and newsmax don't make a shit, they're not even on cable anymore. Fox is still actively poisoning every person over 70 that I know. And all those old fucks are CERTAIN that fox is telling them the truth. 

And Dominion stakeholders (employees, non-equity management) might not even see a dime due to their ownership structure.

Staple Street may be the biggest winner. The private equity firm, which currently manages some $900 million, bought a majority stake in the company for just $38.3 million in 2018.

It’s unclear how big Staple Street’s cut of the settlement will be, but it will almost certainly lead to a home-run return for the firm and its limited partners. “We are very pleased with the outcome and think that Staple Street has handled the situation very well on behalf of their investors,” one of those investors told Reuters.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They do have a bunch of Fox News emails and text messages from the evening personalities in the public record, that would show they were fucking around and openly pushing insane shit that led to the lawsuit.

Fox News didn’t have to issue any sort of on-air apology, and avoided having its top hosts and Murdoch testify in court. Yesterday, the network devoted just six minutes to covering the settlement.

6 whole minutes!

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Fox News didn’t have to issue any sort of on-air apology, and avoided having its top hosts and Murdoch testify in court. Yesterday, the network devoted just six minutes to covering the settlement.

6 whole minutes!

I don't think Dominion could ask for much more than what they got and a jury couldn't make them do it either - all they had to consider was the financial penalties/settlement. 

Even if they could Fox would never agree to it considering all of the pending litigation they are facing.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

Saw some speculation that we ought to expect a bunch of shareholder suits against Fox over this whole imbroglio and loss of $800 million.

Will heads roll, and when? Given that there are more legal fights ahead, Fox may not drop the ax on anyone yet. (Some media watchers have wondered about the fate of Suzanne Scott, Fox News’s C.E.O.) But if the company faces another enormous settlement, it could feel pressure to have someone take the fall.

Murdoch himself probably won’t suffer any big blowback, according to no less than Barry Diller. Speaking to Semafor before yesterday’s news, the media mogul said of any settlement, “What is it going to do? Is it going to worsen Rupert Murdoch’s reputation? I mean, good luck to you.”

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They have contracts on existing machines that are good for years to come, with a few at 10 years or so.  I can't imagine that all states/counties/cities are going to just eat the costs and find a new voting machine.

Plus there aren't a lot of choices that would make MAGA happy - Election Systems & Software is the largest vendor with around 60% market share (and just to show how small these companies are personnel wise - ES&S has around 500 or so employees), but they've got their own problems with software, problematic elections going back a few cycles (although the Trump era did a number on them) and claims of fraud, even though 70 million+ people vote on them.  Hart InterCivic and Dominion round out the top three, and Republicans in Texas were going after Hart in 2018, claiming that votes were being flipped, etc.

So yeah, if you look at those four companies, all four of them have MAGA foaming at the mouth.

It's going to be shitty the next few election cycles, particularly next year, because in years past, not many people actually looked at whose logo was on the machines they were using, but these days, every serious MAGA motherfucker is going to scrutinize what machines are being used, and then bitch loudly if their guy doesn't win.  And even if a voting jurisdiction is using a voting machine other than those companies, Trump's Trumpanzees will scream and fling shit if they don't get a victory.

Dominion has plenty of cash now and can weather this for a few cycles.  Smartmatic will get their payday.  Fox News will have to dance around allowing either of those to be dragged through the mud by future guests, and they don't want to get ES&S or Hart suing them, but you can bet social media will be full of idiots claiming Italian satellites controlled by Venezuela changed their votes.

Im curious if the Texas lege banned dominion and smartmatic ? I know they passed a law that voting machines that don’t exist must be used in the very near future 

It’s really at the point we need a rogue fox employee to go nuts on air or have a sign behind Tucker during his show.  You know like what the Russians have to do to get the truth out on RussianTV.  30% of the country wants to live in that banana republic bubble.  Of course that tactic wouldn’t change a single mind but it’s all anyone has.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fox News fucked everyone on this list ….

What they are asking from each:

Newsmax: $1.6 billion 

OAN: $1.6 billion

Rudy and Sidney: $1.3 billion

Lindell: $1.3 billion

Byrne: $1.73 billion

They gonna wreck these fuckers. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 2

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

One way or another they'll all end up totally broke.  Only question is the path they take to being brokedick motherfuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Who isn’t on that list? Donald J. Trump. 

It would be nice for him to get wrecked, but on another level— I like to picture Sidney Powell being hounded to the grave, maybe living in some shitty nursing home as DJT is eating his well done hamberders at MAL. All that shit they did for him and he’ll be fine while they get done dry. LOL. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It would be nice for him to get wrecked, but on another level— I like to picture Sidney Powell being hounded to the grave, maybe living in some shitty nursing home as DJT is eating his well done hamberders at MAL. All that shit they did for him and he’ll be fine while they get done dry. LOL. 

He's a prisoner of his own mind.  He will never be happy no matter what.  Take solace.  Also, his family will end up totally fucked where it counts in their warped minds - they're all social pariahs now and that really matters to them.  That's a win too.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don't think Trump ever mentioned Dominion or Smartmatic by name in any interview. It was all Powell and their gang and Fox/Newsmax/OAN amplifying it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't think Trump ever mentioned Dominion or Smartmatic by name in any interview. It was all Powell and their gang and Fox/Newsmax/OAN amplifying it. 

I was going to say the same thing.  His babble is quite devoid of specifics.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/media/fox-dominion-how-it-happened/index.html

The voice on the other end asked Roscoe if he would serve as an eleventh-hour mediator in the massive defamation lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News. The start of the trial was hours away, and Dominion planned to force Rupert Murdoch and Tucker Carlson onto the witness stand soon after opening statements, according to people familiar with the matter.

Last week, Dominion had notified Fox News that one of its first witnesses would be Rupert Murdoch, the 92-year-old Fox Corporation chairman, a person familiar with the matter told CNN. Tucker Carlson, the extremist who hosts Fox News’ 8 p.m. hour, was one of the first people that Dominion planned to put on the witness stand in Wilmington, Delaware.

image.gif.86fb17e94e7e6997a1fc9b033e9c5c03.gif

• Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was going to say the same thing.  His babble is quite devoid of specifics.

28 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Probably because he is a fucking idiot.

Yeah, he walks a really fine line.  In all his inane ramblings in business, on the campaign trail, and in the Oval...he doesn't really ever terribly specific about people or companies.  He mentions them by name and makes vague accusations, but nothing that could ever be construed as defamatory, slanderous, or libel.  I think it's a very potent cocktail-esque gift of ignorance, deftness, and self-preservation.  It's like his brain is capable of making specific allegations but it halts itself and just lets the idiotic majority of his cerebrum take over and do the talking every single time.  He's done it for decades and that's not to be discounted.  It's one of the traits of truly masterful Confidence Man.  Be just specific enough so your mark(s) will fall for the arrangement.  "If you give me x/y/z, I'll give you the specifics/the prize/the asset/the country back."  

You gotta give credit to the man.  He saw in America something none of us did.  

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, he walks a really fine line.  In all his inane ramblings in business, on the campaign trail, and in the Oval...he doesn't really ever terribly specific about people or companies.  He mentions them by name and makes vague accusations, but nothing that could ever be construed as defamatory, slanderous, or libel.  I think it's a very potent cocktail-esque gift of ignorance, deftness, and self-preservation.  It's like his brain is capable of making specific allegations but it halts itself and just lets the idiotic majority of his cerebrum take over and do the talking every single time.  He's done it for decades and that's not to be discounted.  It's one of the traits of truly masterful Confidence Man.  Be just specific enough so your mark(s) will fall for the arrangement.  "If you give me x/y/z, I'll give you the specifics/the prize/the asset/the country back."  

You gotta give credit to the man.  He saw in America something none of us did.  

It's also pretty evergreen - makes it easy for him to trot out the same complaints months later.

• Hook 'Em 1

she nailed the ultimate truth of corporate litigation: never submit your C-suite to deposition for any thing, by any one, at any time

also, she said they had to settle because the idea of tucker carlson under oath for a week televised globally was unpossible

and so will any of other lawsuits refuse to settle and take the murdochs to the mat?

• Hook 'Em 1

jeff sonnefeld, yale:

this is the largest settlement ever in a libel malice case, a jury would have never awarded anything close to 800m, appeals court would have knocked it down 10x

this entire case is now available for all of the other lawsuits to use

and 60% of fox is not owned by the murdochs - that 60% is open season for the shareholders

tl/dr: fox be fucked

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Interesting point.  It's any voting machine manufacturer that is subject to magat attack, not just Dominion and Smartmatic, so they're all laboring under essentially the same disability.

It would be interesting to find out at some point why Dominion and Smartmatic were the subject of big conspiracy theories and the others were not.

53 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

anderson cooper interviewing gretchen carlson

If you had told me many years ago that the gay heir to the Vanderbilt Jeans empire would discuss with a far-right scientology troll accusations by the host of "The Apprentice" about American voting machines hacked by Generalissimo Hugo Chavez.  I may have been slightly skeptical.  Now, it's just a Wednesday in the Simulation.  

What the fuck do you lunatics have cooked up for 4/20?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you had told me many years ago that the gay heir to the Vanderbilt Jeans empire would discuss with a far-right scientology troll accusations by the host of "The Apprentice" about American voting machines hacked by Generalissimo Hugo Chavez.  I may have been slightly skeptical.  Now, it's just a Wednesday in the Simulation.  

What the fuck do you lunatics have cooked up for 4/20?  

fuck my life fml GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It would be interesting to find out at some point why Dominion and Smartmatic were the subject of big conspiracy theories and the others were not.

They were the machines used in Georgia and Arizona - which are the states the Trumpers are most upset about losing.

• Hook 'Em 2