2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I don't think Cole is going to come back. He's going to want a bag and he deserves it. A starting rotation of Verlander Greinke McCullers is salty enough for me. If Sanchez can come back healthy with a year of Strom's teaching he could be back to Cy Young strong again. There are also in house options like Urquidy, Javier, and Whitley. The front office has never given me a reason to question them. In Luhnow I trust. 

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They can eat part of his contract and ask for almost nothing in return.  Any savings is simply a plus if it's not to help facilitate a Cole deal.  The real purpose is to free up right field for Tucker.

Yeah, it'll have to be something like this. And yes, it is imperative to move Reddick before next year for the reason you mention. 

5 minutes ago, thetruth said:

It was my understanding that he would just not be ready for opening day. 

Sanchez said his surgery was nearly identical to one Dodgers lefty Julio Urías underwent in June 2017. Urías had anterior capsule surgery on June 27, 2017 and returned to major league action on Sept. 15, 2018. An estimated rehab timeframe sits anywhere from 12-14 months.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

They are going to have to sign at least one free agent starter in the off season I think. 

I think so, too.  

If not, they'll have to trade pieces to acquire a starter next season if LMJ and/or Whitley are faltering.  Seems easier to lock up an FA for money instead of prospects this offseason.

Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, FA, Prospect TBNL (hopefully Whitley)

They’ll find some guy in the bargain bin a la Morton/Miley and unlock another level to him and count on one of their young guys to step up in the 5th spot. Basically, running back this year’s plan with Greinke subbed for Cole and LMJ back.

That rotation is more than adequate. 

6 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Drayton McLane did two things right as owner. He kept Biggio & Bagwell as career Astros and he got the deal for the new stadium done and kept the team in Houston rather than getting relocated to Northern Virginia. Pretty much everything thing else was either meh or a complete cluster fuck.

That's not giving Drayton his full due.  He also kept Tony Eusebio as a career Astro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Drayton McLane did two things right as owner. He kept Biggio & Bagwell as career Astros and he got the deal for the new stadium done and kept the team in Houston rather than getting relocated to Northern Virginia. Pretty much everything thing else was either meh or a complete cluster fuck.

Hate myself for this, but coughing up the cash for Clemens and Pettite (while having Roy as well) was pretty good at paying for a salty starting rotation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thetruth said:

The front office has never given me a reason to question them. 

While I LOVE the FO, I think it’s a bit revisionist to say that they have never given us a reason to question them.  

Yeah, we all knew about “the process,” but I think the honest fan will admit that they weren’t too sure when the losses really started piling up. Then Appel happened.  And then Brady Aiken happened.  

They’ve earned the trust now, but those middle years had a lot of folks scratching their heads and asking if Luhnow and crew were too smart for their own good.  

Huge kudos to Crane for riding it out.   He’s the real wheelbarrow man in all of this.  

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I guess the club is confident LMJ returns to be LMJ of old.

F that.

He'll be better.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

It don’t make a shit. But I did tell people today only way I’m leaning rays is because they are not a division opponent and don’t know us as good as the A’s.

I want the Rays to win because (1) CFM and (2) being our bros and letting us use their field in 2017.

Also because fuck Oakland, that's why.

Also also, because IDMAS.

Edited by Rimbo

It’ll go 5 games if Rays.
3 or 4 if Oakland

GTFO out of here with “Oakland knows us better”
As if we don’t know anything about a team we’ve played 19 times this year?
This isn’t college football. teams aren’t going to pull new tricks out of their sleeves in game 164-169.
We proved we’re the better team than Oakland in the regular season and would do the same in October.

It’ll go 5 games if Rays.

3 or 4 if Oakland

GTFO out of here with “Oakland knows us better”

As if we don’t know anything about a team we’ve played 19 times this year?

This isn’t college football. teams aren’t going to pull new tricks out of their sleeves in game 164-169.

We proved we’re the better team than Oakland in the regular season and would do the same in October.

It won’t go 5 games against either team. Take that to the bank.

Just now, TexArcher said:

This is what we don't want.  Really want to see Oakland st least scratch out a couple of runs and make Tampa play some high stress innings.

eh, chuck had a rough first and i would assume he's finished after 5.

other than his start against the yanks, morty has been pretty shaky the last 4-6 weeks, and obviously against us.  it's gonna come down to their bullpen, because snell and glasnow, while nasty, are not going to be pitching deep into games.  neither is morty.  i'm fine with that.

what worries me is all their scrappy role players who seem to hit homers in big spots, like certain dodgers and red sox did the last couple years. 

FYI:  Some nice pairs of tickets are available still for face value down low in sections 110, 111,127, 128, 129 and 131 for potential Game 5 of ALDS on astros.com.  I just grabbed 3 in row 4, section 110 for $179 each.

Hopefully won't go 5 games, but if you are so inclined just a heads up.

• Like 1