2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

i miss el oso blanco so much right now

This.  At least he fucking tried.

Could catch in a pinch...

White does ZERO.  He brings jack shit to the table.

Turnip the beet, motherfucker.

Re: the McHugh talk, this is the quote from the other day.
Release point normally matters, but not with how McHugh is throwning his slider right now

What’s so amazing about the pitch is hitters know it’s coming and they still can’t hit it. McHugh throws his slider with a release point three to seven inches lower than his other pitches. When he drops down, it’s always a slider.

“What we’ve found is that hitters don’t differentiate if the release points are within three or four inches,” Houston pitching coach Brent Strom said. “But what really matters is what the hitters tell you. And right now the hitters are having a hard time with it.”

And I also remember what seemed to be about this time last year everyone was calling for Gattis to be cut.

White will pick up the pace soon and be fine as a ho hum regular season DH.
However, this squad/organization can definitely do better and I want no part of White being a regular DH in the postseason

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And I also remember what seemed to be about this time last year everyone was calling for Gattis to be cut.

White will pick up the pace soon and be fine as a ho hum regular season DH.
However, this squad/organization can definitely do better and I want no part of White being a regular DH in the postseason

Pick up the pace...

how bout out finding a got dam pulse?

Pick up the pace...

how bout out finding a got dam pulse?

Meh
91 ABs into the 2018 season (May 7) Gattis was hitting .187 with 1 HR and 30 Ks (33%) and he carried our ass in June.

White: 33 ABs, .212, 0 HRs, 13 Ks (39%)
Yeah he sucks right now, yes we know his ceiling, no that isn’t high enough for what any of us want out of a playoff DH, but he has the ability to carry the bottom part of the order for a month.

What's wrong with Yordan Alvarez at DH?

No way you lose a year of control of Álvarez by calling him up anytime before mid-June.Not with where this team is now and it’s division/prospects of making the playoffs. They can afford to field 8 quality hitters and still be on a 11 out of 12 game streak because the West is so awful

Plus they still have hopes that Yordan can be a plus LF’er and /or a serviceable 1B and he makes no progress on those fronts sitting on the bench in Houston or waiting for his turn everything 2-3 innings to get in the batter’s box.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

No way you lose a year of control of Álvarez by calling him up anytime before mid-June.

Of course.  But there was a comment about White being a serviceable regular season DH.  He doesn't have to be the answer all year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Meh
91 ABs into the 2018 season (May 7) Gattis was hitting .187 with 1 HR and 30 Ks (33%) and he carried our ass in June.

Yeah he sucks right now, yes we know his ceiling, no that isn’t high enough for what any of us want out of a playoff DH, but he has the ability to carry the bottom part of the order for a month.

Mr. Alex Bregman had a decent June last year as well.  Player of the Month and stuff...

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Meh

I don’t believe you, and it ain’t personal.  He hasn’t shown jack shit.  No clutch hits, no power,no emotional lift.

Just pure dead weight.

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Fuck it, I'll DH.  At least I can go 0-4 without being fat the whole time.

Are you afraid to swing at strikes?  Do you half ass swing at other pitches?

If you’re tentative and shitty, they might make room for ya...

They can afford to field 8 quality hitters and still be on a 11 out of 12 game streak because the West is so awful 

I think it is time to re-examine this narrative. The AL West had the best winning % in baseball last year and is blowing that away so far this year. It is far from an awful division.

You have to think White is on the clock at this point because his only value is as a hitter...and he isn't hitting, obviously. He's slow and doesn't add any defensive value. 

Alvarez isn't likely to be up in the next month, and he's only had a handful of ABs in AAA at this point. Tucker has seems lost this spring. Fisher has power and speed, so he's not as one-dimensional, but he is kind of redundant on the roster since we have Jake and Kemp.

I know Myles Straw, who has great speed and at least makes contact, is trying out SS this spring...if he could handle a utility IF/OF role, maybe he replaces White at some point. But he probably isn't ready to play IF at the major league level yet, and given his lack of power, he'd have to get on base really well to get regular playing time (but could be a great roster piece - can play around the diamond, run, allow other guys to DH every now and then, etc). 

So there isn't really any obvious internal option right now, as far as I can tell. White as a DH seemed iffy going into the season, but his performance in about 90 games over the last two years was enough to make you think he could be OK. I do think he's better than he's shown so far, but since 100% of his value is tied to his bat, he really needs to start hitting. 

I’d rather enjoy winning 11/12 and let the front office resolve this “problem” over the next 3 months than fill a whole thread bitching about the whipping boy du jour.

Its going to work itself out.

And then there will be complaints about something else. (God forbid this team hit a 2-5 stretch again. And they will.)

Rinse/repeat.

• Like 2