Texas Tech vs Virginia: 2019 NCAA Championhship

Vic Mackey

29 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have said, during football season, that I hate how reviews are now turning the game into a frame-by frame review but this looks pretty bad. I submit this just because they reviewed the out of bounds call, frame-by-frame.

Yep missed call, and they didn't show replays for some reason.

I don't know shit about basketball but I though the glaring error was giving up that uncontested 3-pointer to tie the game with 30 seconds left.  There wasn't a Tech player within 10 feet of that guy and the one player that did respond, hesitated giving him an open shot.  If they don't get that 3, VA probably sends a Tech player to the line which probably ices the game for Tech.

32 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

You can point to moments all over the place where Tech might be "waking up as national champs".....Culver taking that dumb 3 at the end of regulation instead of taking the ball to the basket...Guy tripping over Diakite with 2.5 left in OT, with Tech up 3, and Tech getting called for the foul...the issue with the Italian and his pinky, and the the foul that wasn't called beforehand...And even if you give them the 2 in the above assertion there's no guarantee that Tech is going make FTs or some other weird shit isn't going to happen.  Hell, if Culver had simply closed hard on the Hunter's 3 we might have a different result on the shot and then the game.   

You can dissect the game all day and all night long for stuff like this.   

I just wish Francis had seen the ball even more last night.  He was the one guy on Tech that was seizing the moment and taking it by the jugular while his teammates were overwhelmed by it on occasion, early on especially.    

No he shouldn't have even left Hunter and let them have the easy 2. More than likely I believe it was Jerome would have seen they are guarding the 3 point line dribbled past the easy layup and out to the three point line and fired up a contested 3. Especially if no one played help side defense for one possession he would have had to dribble out and toss one up instead of drawing a defender(which is exactly what they wanted) and kick it to a wide open man. 

I highlighted this on the last page not to say it's the reason they lost but how when you play a certain way ALL YEAR and to adjust for one play is hard. There were a collection of plays that add up to why they lost but it went into overtime so i'm not sure why some on here feel the need to blast 2-3 plays. Just dumb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don't know shit about basketball but I though the glaring error was giving up that uncontested 3-pointer to tie the game with 30 seconds left.  There wasn't a Tech player within 10 feet of that guy and the one player that did respond, hesitated giving him an open shot.  If they don't get that 3, VA probably sends a Tech player to the line which probably ices the game for Tech.

He was covered until the ball handler hit the top of the key, the guys covering the wings, and Hunter, collapsed into the paint, contesting Guy's insufficient FG, and leaving Hunter open for the uncontested 3. 

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Hell, I called ballgame when the TT player went to the foul line before the 3 point shot. Should have been over then.  Wrong coaching decision, that's as much as I'll criticize Beard.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have said, during football season, that I hate how reviews are now turning the game into a frame-by frame review but this looks pretty bad. I submit this just because they reviewed the out of bounds call, frame-by-frame.

In real time, I was like wtf?! He tripped over his own fucking player. You can clearly see his teammate also stumble because their legs tangled. The Tech defender didn't even stumble at all. Just another gift these fucking fucks received. The refs the entire night were not calling this game equally on both ends. Spare me the free throw numbers because we all know it's much more than that. Virginia was able to abuse Tech at their end while Tech got called for ticky tack bullshit all night.

This play should have been Tech's ball up 3. But just like the Auburn game, they get a gift that allows them to win. 

• Like 2

Culver being mentioned as a lottery pick seemed off to me in December. I love his game but he has improved a ton in a year and if he gains more production this summer and stays one more year then I will believe this to be true. I’m no expert on the NBA draft, but am I wrong here?

I get it if he goes because of the money. Is there a payoff to wait is what Id be interested in finding out. But if he does stay then that makes him marked all season next year. What do you do?

B Fran was mentioned...dude was THE open option last night and he stepped up. Morretti finally appeared to be human. Odiase was playing his ass off. Like I said earlier, I think the better team won last night. But we were right fucking there to steal it. Sports depressed 

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

In real time, I was like wtf?! He tripped over his own fucking player. You can clearly see his teammate also stumble because their legs tangled. The Tech defender didn't even stumble at all. Just another gift these fucking fucks received. The refs the entire night were not calling this game equally on both ends. Spare me the free throw numbers because we all know it's much more than that. Virginia was able to abuse Tech at their end while Tech got called for ticky tack bullshit all night.

This play should have been Tech's ball up 3. But just like the Auburn game, they get a gift that allows them to win. 

A real smart guy once told me that whining and crying about refs from losers after obviously blown calls that affect championships is hilarious.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:46 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I am. Fuck the Saints and their franchise and fanbase. They put a cash bounty on Favre in 2009. 

Any misery to that fanbase and team is hilarious. Had 2 chances to put the game away after this call. Didn't. Benefitted from a no call on Goff the drive before.

But now it's whining and crying about refs from them and it's absolutely hilarious.

Also, angry slorch is best slorch.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The foul was a gift from Auburn, not the refs.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I don't remember the exact timing, but it seemed too early to intentionally found and put them on the line. It also was just a complete breakdown defensively to get the guy wide open. It happens, and good teams like UVA find ways to make it happen.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

The foul was a gift from Auburn, not the refs.

I am talking about the egregious missed double dribble the possession before in the Auburn game. Had that been called, the late foul at the end never even comes into play.

The foul Auburn committed was legit.

42 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This along with two times Tech tied up Virginia players with the ball and no jump ball called on either in the last few minutes all had impacts on the final.

4 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Culver being mentioned as a lottery pick seemed off to me in December. I love his game but he has improved a ton in a year and if he gains more production this summer and stays one more year then I will believe this to be true. I’m no expert on the NBA draft, but am I wrong here?

I get it if he goes because of the money. Is there a payoff to wait is what Id be interested in finding out. But if he does stay then that makes him marked all season next year. What do you do?

B Fran was mentioned...dude was THE open option last night and he stepped up. Morretti finally appeared to be human. Odiase was playing his ass off. Like I said earlier, I think the better team won last night. But we were right fucking there to steal it. Sports depressed 

I think Culver would undoubtedly benefit from another year in college; it's only been since February that he's looked like an NBA 1st rounder (he was great in the tournament until the Final 4).  People keep saying lottery pick, though, so how do you pass up that money?  

Also, yes, I was very happy to see Odiase step up and make a real contribution to the team this season, and in the tournament.  He was the one guy from that class with Keenan Evans, Zach Smith, etc., that never seemed to quite fulfill his potential, partly because of injury issues.  I was really hoping his FTs would've clinched the game last night, for Tech but also for him.

3 minutes ago, landman said:

This along with two times Tech tied up Virginia players with the ball and no jump ball called on either in the last few minutes all had impacts on the final.

One of those non-calls was a clear foul on Moretti who yanked Guy's arm when he was trying to get the ball. Can't count that one, although there were still plenty of missed calls (the standard amount for a game).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am talking about the egregious missed double dribble the possession before in the Auburn game. Had that been called, the late foul at the end never even comes into play.

The foul Auburn committed was legit.

Gotcha.  How many people caught that that was a double dribble you think ?  I missed it, which doesn't mean much, but how did the refs miss it ?  Whistle swallowing ?

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Gotcha.  How many people caught that that was a double dribble you think ?  I missed it, which doesn't mean much, but how did the refs miss it ?  Whistle swallowing ?

Lots of people missed it, but it also happened right after he was fouled and it wasn't called (almost exactly like the play where Moretti was fouled last night seconds before the reviewed out of bounds play happened).

9 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I think Culver would undoubtedly benefit from another year in college; it's only been since February that he's looked like an NBA 1st rounder

Um. What?

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Lots of people missed it, but it also happened right after he was fouled and it wasn't called (almost exactly like the play where Moretti was fouled last night seconds before the reviewed out of bounds play happened).

Fouled by Guy from behind as he came up the floor or Hunter who knocked the ball free ?  I don't think Hunter fouled him. His hand was on the ball, not Morettis arm or hand, from what I can see in the replay video.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Guy fouled him, you can see his instinctive reaction of pulling his hands back and up in the classic "I didn't do anything" right after he did something pose. Hunter's play was clean.

I can't find a replay that shows anything before Hunters swat, but yeah the hands up thing is always a red flag.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I don't remember the exact timing, but it seemed too early to intentionally found and put them on the line. It also was just a complete breakdown defensively to get the guy wide open. It happens, and good teams like UVA find ways to make it happen.

There were something like 12.6 seconds left.

I liked the part where Mooney pivoted for 5 seconds in the lane before making a shot and then Guy whined to ref about not calling 3 seconds.  That was great.  It should be included in debates about whether to review calls.  The entire game should be reviewed frame by frame by a 3 person committee of ex-refs who then plug all changed calls into a continuously updated Monte Carlo simulation and the most likely winner is declared.  if that "undoes" the actual game result then so be it.  You can sell bets to the result and have drunk students in the common areas ready to destroy things.  It would be great.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fouled by Guy from behind as he came up the floor or Hunter who knocked the ball free ?  I don't think Hunter fouled him. His hand was on the ball, not Morettis arm or hand, from what I can see in the replay video.

Guy definitely got away with a foul there, 

VA took that particular shot all night. Tech sags in to the middle leaves a guy ungarded on the wing behind 3 line VA passes to open guy, boom guy drains a three.

All night long.

1 hour ago, landman said:

Forgot all about those. Terrible as well. gave Va points that they should not have gotten, too. 

I hate talking about refs but the game was not called the same way on both ends. Virginia benefited in both games of the Final 4. Fuck them.

Culver, according to what I've seen,  is going to be a sure fire top 10 pick in the draft, probably top 7 and may go as high as 4.  He's not coming back to school unless he is the world's biggest idiot. I don't understand how anybody in this day and age could even suggest that he needs to or should go back to school for another year.

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Forgot all about those. Terrible as well. gave Va points that they should not have gotten, too. 

I hate talking about refs but the game was not called the same way on both ends. Virginia benefited in both games of the Final 4. Fuck them.

Virginia's colors are orange and white - the precise combination of the new Orange Vanilla Coke. 

It's not a coincidence. 

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He was covered until the ball handler hit the top of the key, the guys covering the wings, and Hunter, collapsed into the paint, contesting Guy's insufficient FG, and leaving Hunter open for the uncontested 3. 

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hell, I called ballgame when the TT player went to the foul line before the 3 point shot. Should have been over then.  Wrong coaching decision, that's as much as I'll criticize Beard.

I asked this question earlier.I am completely stupid about basketball, but...

Looking back, I think that there was about 22 seconds left in regulation when Tech shot free throws to go up by 3. I know that is a good bit of time. I wondered why not immediately foul and let Virginia take two free throws rather than potentially give up a game-tying three-pointer.

At worst tech makes one, misses the second and puts up 2 more to tie. At that point Tech has 15-20 seconds to go score/get fouled by Virginia. If Virginia does not tie, they are forced to foul Tech to prevent Tech from running the clock. Play the back and forth fouling game in the waning seconds, best free-shooters deserve to win at that point.

Please tell me what's wrong with this strategery?

1 minute ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Looking back, I think that there was about 22 seconds left in regulation when Tech shot free throws to go up by 3. I know that is a good bit of time. I wondered why not immediately foul and let Virginia take two free throws rather than potentially give up a game-tying three-pointer.

At worst tech makes one, misses the second and puts up 2 more to tie. At that point Tech has 15-20 seconds to go score/get fouled by Virginia. If Virginia does not tie, they are forced to foul Tech to prevent Tech from running the clock. Play the back and forth fouling game in the waning seconds, best free-shooters deserve to win at that point.

Despite the open looks UVA was getting last night, Beard's built the team around defense.  Dude's headstrong and probably felt with the momentum and a chance to ice the game  that his guys were good for a stop on that final possession. 

Jerome and Hunter said otherwise, the former just made an outstanding dish on the play. 

I"m guessing someone asked Beard about this in the presser but I've not seen / heard anything. 

UVa has to be one of the more fortunate champions in a while during this tournament.  What?  Twice they should have lost but got the fortuitous bounce go their way?  Mad scramble and last second shot to send to OT v Purdue, missed DD v. Auburn and fouled shooter.  But they made the plays when it mattered, props to them and congrats to Tech on an outstanding season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

UVa has to be one of the more fortunate champions in a while during this tournament.  What?  Twice they should have lost but got the fortuitous bounce go their way?  Mad scramble and last second shot to send to OT v Purdue, missed DD v. Auburn and fouled shooter.  But they made the plays when it mattered, props to them and congrats to Tech on an outstanding season. 

Three times, really. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Nothing, it's the smart play.  I'd say just wait as long as you can, before they get over the half court line to foul.   Use the clock. Clock management is equivalent to points for the leader once you get it under 3 minutes in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Three times, really. 

That finish with Purdue...  I mean, a lot of things had to happen for them to pull that off and they did, heads up play from the freshman pg to not just sling one up from halfcourt in hail mary style but instead finding the big man who hit a tough shot. 

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

That finish with Purdue...  I mean, a lot of things had to happen for them to pull that off and they did, heads up play from the freshman pg to not just sling one up from halfcourt in hail mary style but instead finding the big man who hit a tough shot. 

They were on a mission..... from Gaaad

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Despite the open looks UVA was getting last night, Beard's built the team around defense.  Dude's headstrong and probably felt with the momentum and a chance to ice the game  that his guys were good for a stop on that final possession. 

Jerome and Hunter said otherwise, the former just made an outstanding dish on the play. 

I"m guessing someone asked Beard about this in the presser but I've not seen / heard anything. 

The order was no 3’s in the .22 timeout by Tech coaches. Specifically Coach Adams. 

So in that sequence when the ball penetrates (because Tech is spread to cover the perimeter) Culver collapses behind it as is SOP on Techs d scheme....and they all do this without a thought, but keep in mind that no 3’s is not the base scheme. So when it’s kicked to Hunter (on a brilliant kick out/dish by UVA). Culver is unable to close. 

I bet that was planned, doesn’t matter...it was clutch execution. Bottom line is you make a stop .....Playing the base scheme D there is probably best option in hindsight. Sometimes you just have to tip over the chess board and put teams to the test for the win.