Texas Tech vs Virginia: 2019 NCAA Championhship

Vic Mackey

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Culver sucking hurts but the real killer is Owens not being able to go effectively. He was crucial to our defense this year. That injury was a real killer.

Not a difference maker, they told us...

There's lots of foolishness in this thread but I must admit that March Madness has been greatly diminished to me, personally, once Prepuce had a doomlet and caught a real life and could no longer dissect commercials. What can we do to bring that back? I'm all in. 

At least y’all made the FF. As a Poke, our fall from competitive significance has been abrupt once Eddie drunkenly crashed and I believe we’ve won a single tournament game in like a decade. I recall when getting tickets to games was about impossible, the student package was split to accommodate demand, and you left GIA with your ears ringing.

Also don’t have kids...I have a 5yo and 2yo, last night was the only complete game of the tourney I watched and that’s because I was watching while working late.

6 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

There's lots of foolishness in this thread but I must admit that March Madness has been greatly diminished to me, personally, once Prepuce had a doomlet and caught a real life and could no longer dissect commercials. What can we do to bring that back? I'm all in. 

It's going take a drastic change in circumstances - lottery win, etc. I was busy enough this year that most of what I watched was DVR'ed, so I fast forwarded through virtually all commercials. I'm certain that's why the "AT&T clueless announcer guy" series doesn't really bother me - I simply haven't seen enough of it... 

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

The call reversal on replay with Tech down 2 and Moretti with the ball was pure BS.  Not to mention the missed foul call from behind.  There was not undisputed evidence to justify overturning the call on the court.  

Yeah there was. That's been pretty much agreed to by a majority of people. You can see his finger on the ball, and as for the foul are you saying Guy fouled him from behind ?

24 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

The call reversal on replay with Tech down 2 and Moretti with the ball was pure BS.  Not to mention the missed foul call from behind.  There was not undisputed evidence to justify overturning the call on the court.  

You might want to watch that replay again.

It was clearly off of Tech.

How the fuck is Culver a lotto pick? Dude is so fucking slow, couldn't shake my dead grandma. 
This is my take away..especially for this years draft class. Even the prize has questions about out muscling grown men vs college kids. I'd be most comfortable taking morant

And DeAndre hunter made mincemeat out of Culver in crunch time. Wouldnt mind him in a wolves uni. Hunter, not culver.

i've always thought culver was good, but never understood why mock drafts have him as a safe top 10 pick.  who is he in the nba?  what one elite nba skill does he have?

hunter definitely played like an nba player last night.  i could see him going as high as #4.

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You might want to watch that replay again.

It was clearly off of Tech.

Just watched it, there was no reach in. He hit all ball.  It did require slo mo replay to clarify, so if they'd not over turned it nobody could really get that upset. You can't see it in real time.  

You could make the case that TT touched the ball on the earlier out of bounds call, but again you just can't get that upset by the no reversal. Even with the slo mo it's not 100% clear if his hand brushed it or not.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, looks like a blown call there.

And here is what I don't get.  For 48 hours all we heard from the national media was about the call against Auburn that sent Virginia to the line for 3 free throws...WHICH WAS A COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE CALL.

But Virginia trips on their own guy, we get called for the foul, and they get sent to FT line for game-altering shots...and all we get are crickets from the media.

WTF??  How the fuck is that call not scrutinized at all, and a legit call is made out to be the biggest controversy in the tournament?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Just watched it, there was no reach in. He hit all ball.  It did require slo mo replay to clarify, so if they'd not over turned it nobody could really get that upset. You can't see it in real time.  

You could make the case that TT touched the ball on the earlier out of bounds call, but again you just can't get that upset by the no reversal. Even with the slo mo it's not 100% clear if his hand brushed it or not.

You made my point.  Even with the slo mo it’s not 100% clear if his hand brushed it or not.  That call should not have been reversed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

And here is what I don't get.  For 48 hours all we heard from the national media was about the call against Auburn that sent Virginia to the line for 3 free throws...WHICH WAS A COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE CALL.

But Virginia trips on their own guy, we get called for the foul, and they get sent to FT line for game-altering shots...and all we get are crickets from the media.

WTF??  How the fuck is that call not scrutinized at all, and a legit call is made out to be the biggest controversy in the tournament?  

Yeah,  Shooting foul in the last second, that was isolated and pretty in everybody's face is gonna get the scrutiny.  Sucks to be sure, but we all know calls are missed through out games. How much time was left then ?

I remember the play, and thought he just tripped on his own or slipped, but could't see where he hit Diakites foot. Sucks to potentially lose a game on a missed call.

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

You made my point.  Even with the slo mo it’s not 100% clear if his hand brushed it or not.  That call should not have been reversed.

No I didn't, it is clear.  That's been supported by countless people. You can see it hit his pinky.  My point is that slo mo was needed to catch it. The Kyle Guy non trip was worse IMO.

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah,  Shooting foul in the last second, that was isolated and pretty in everybody's face is gonna get the scrutiny.  Sucks to be sure, but we all know calls are missed through out games. How much time was left then ?

I remember the play, and thought he just tripped on his own or slipped, but could't see where he hit Diakites foot. Sucks to potentially lose a game on a missed call.

If they had bothered to show a single replay it would have been a big deal. 2 mins and down two, Tech ball —> to tie game! 

Huge momentum swing and a bail out to the struggling Vir offesene. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The real travesty of a call was the tripping call that sent Guy to the FT line. He clearly tripped over his own man. If we had gotten a stop there we probably win the game.

Force Virginia to take a 2 instead of a game tying 3 (and make your FTs) and tech is waking up as national champs. All the BS throughout the game, that was the one boneheaded easily avoidable play for Tech that will haunt them for a while

• Like 1

For me being an ex coach I usually watch games with the understanding that kids make decisions in the moment that are not drawn up by the coach so I always love how every detail of a "Inbounds play poor execution" is on the coach, when we draw up plays and they come out and show a defense that would take away that play design the kids have to improvise in the moment and not everything will always play out the way it is on a white board. What I saw was they had one second to get a shot off that was well defended and probably wasn't the exact play beard drew up and Culver took it on himself. It wasn't the play of the game or why they lost.

For me the play of the game was Tech defense with 12 seconds left and up 3 to leave a shooter in the corner open, the greatest part of the tech defense is the backside help and that is what bit them in the ass at the end. If anything Tech should have said and probably did to leave the drive lanes open and deny the perimeter and DO NOT help off your man and i'm not sure who did but holy fuck give them the layup and be up 1 with the ball and go to the free throw line. It wasn't really a "breakdown" as that is how they have played all year and it's just instinct to slide over and help. It sucks but that is basketball.

• Like 3

But did Kyle foul Moretti before the ball was knocked out? Looks like he slapped him on the arm and tried to grab him around the waist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Force Virginia to take a 2 instead of a game tying 3 (and make your FTs) and tech is waking up as national champs. All the BS throughout the game, that was the one boneheaded easily avoidable play for Tech that will haunt them for a while

This right here ^^^^ Why didn't they foul, and put them on the line for a potential 2 instead of allowing a game tying 3 ?

the out of bounds reversal was terrible.  it's a fundamental play in basketball.  guy reaches in makes a good swipe and the ball goes out of bounds.  Ball stays with the offense.  going in and nitpicking on if it was grazed or not is bush league.  Reminds me of a guy stealing 2nd base, beating the throw and the getting called out because his body lifts off the bag for a millisecond. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

the out of bounds reversal was terrible.  it's a fundamental play in basketball.  guy reaches in makes a good swipe and the ball goes out of bounds.  Ball stays with the offense.  going in and nitpicking on if it was grazed or not is bush league.  Reminds me of a guy stealing 2nd base, beating the throw and the getting called out because his body lifts off the bag for a millisecond. 

Who the ball is off of isn't not not picking. It determines possession.

How much can you really hedge when you can't get anything remotely close to to 200:1 odds?

In a tweet, it said he did hedge. But they didn't specify how much. Could he do a bet of $125k on Virginia to win? Meaning he's going to win about$125k in either situation.

Then again, if he did that, why not just sell the ticket for $125k like they offered?

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

In a tweet, it said he did hedge. But they didn't specify how much. Could he do a bet of $125k on Virginia to win? Meaning he's going to win about$125k in either situation.

Then again, if he did that, why not just sell the ticket for $125k like they offered?

Exactly.  I guess you lock in a lower payout in any case.

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This right here ^^^^ Why didn't they foul, and put them on the line for a potential 2 instead of allowing a game tying 3 ?

I'll never understand this.  You're up 3 with time running out and you allow the other team to take a 3.  PUT HIM ON THE LINE.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills every time I see this.  Barnes always insisted on this stupid strategy, citing "well they might get a rebound".  Makes me stabby.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I'm with you on this. It's not even about the play or the game, but the replay system in general. For 38 minutes, if you knock the ball out of someone's hands out of bounds, they keep the ball (unless it bounces off a knee or something). It's automatic and it's understood, even if the ball probably grazes the offensive player's pinky or thumb last 25% of the time. It's impossible to call in real-time, so the "tie" goes to the offensive player...but not during the last 2 minutes. It's inconsistent.

• Like 1

No beef here. Virginia beat us. I’ve watched every game our team played this season. We had our shots to win. We played to win. We got beat by the better team. No shame in it. Team sports is the tits. 

I appreciate the Surly fans on here. It’s been fun cutting it up this season. 

Apologies if I pooped on someone’s taco plate last night on this thread. 

pax

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You can point to moments all over the place where Tech might be "waking up as national champs".....Culver taking that dumb 3 at the end of regulation instead of taking the ball to the basket...Guy tripping over Diakite with 2.5 left in OT, with Tech up 3, and Tech getting called for the foul...the issue with the Italian and his pinky, and the the foul that wasn't called beforehand...And even if you give them the 2 in the above assertion there's no guarantee that Tech is going make FTs or some other weird shit isn't going to happen.  Hell, if Culver had simply closed hard on the Hunter's 3 we might have a different result on the shot and then the game.   

You can dissect the game all day and all night long for stuff like this.   

I just wish Francis had seen the ball even more last night.  He was the one guy on Tech that was seizing the moment and taking it by the jugular while his teammates were overwhelmed by it on occasion, early on especially.    

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 3

Duke is the most hated program in the country and people tune in hoping to watch them lose.

Other than that you have programs with big followings (Indiana) or alumni bases (Illinois) or both (North Carolina) who hadn't been there in a while when you see a spike. And Villanova has a dozen fans, apparently.