Israel

SmokeyBear1861

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

A professor/director I know at the Schusterman Center at UT indicated that they knew the event would be happening and had no issue with it, provided (of course) that it did not get violent (which it not appear to on the side of the protestors).  But he fully expects to get a call from the Tower or System ordering them to condemn the protests and side with the Governor.  He won't go along with it since he doesn't really care for how Gov. Abbott looked the other way on Nick Fuentes' involvement with Texas politics.  Obviously tempers are running hot right now, but I won't be surprised if there's some resignations/sabbaticals over this after semester ends in a couple of weeks.   

The aggyfication of the University of Texas continues.

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am not conflating anything. I am able to track separate threads and keep the exchanges straight. I know that keeping the beat is something you continually struggle with though, so your post is unsurprising. 

I can find the exact post where Brisket excused of all sorts of things for not supporting funding Ukraine, which seems to match the post I quoted save for Israel/Ukraine mix up. But I don't recall Brisket ever advocating that we absolutely need to fund Israel militarily. To be clear, he has expressed views both supportive of Israelis when they were attacked and condemning Israel for its current military campaign. But I've never seen him say that we need to fund Israel and not doing so is supporting terrorism. If you have that post, please point to it. But my belief is that you're conflating these events because in your mind they are all related to the US MIC that you oppose. 

Edited by Dahobbs

45 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s fucking absurd for public officials and so many in the media to pretend these protests are rife with antisemitism.

They're cynically doing it to animate their supporters and listeners/viewers that aren't curious enough to validate things themselves. It's been happening in the DT thread already and has been a slog to address their lies as they post them. BlackLab almost gave them a leg up in resetting the conversation and deleting the established timelines of what the fuck was happening. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There HAVE been antisemitic acts at these protests over these past few months.  Staging a pro-Palestinian protest directly outside a Jewish museum or place of worship or where Jewish students are known to be gathering is a clear statement of intent.  Acting like there is no antisemitism at all is ignorant at best, gaslighting at worst.

BUT

Lumping any pro-Palestinian protest into the antisemitism category and using this to justify political force is a clear abuse of power, is not what (any level-headed) Jews are wanting, and only serves to escalate the situation, empower the protesters, and actually increase the likelihood of retaliation against Jews.

As I said yesterday, I am really tired of non-Jews using antisemitism as justification for carrying out their authoritarian fantasies. 

You can just say Christians.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There HAVE been antisemitic acts at these protests over these past few months.  Staging a pro-Palestinian protest directly outside a Jewish museum or place of worship or where Jewish students are known to be gathering is a clear statement of intent.  Acting like there is no antisemitism at all is ignorant at best, gaslighting at worst.

BUT

Lumping any pro-Palestinian protest into the antisemitism category and using this to justify political force is a clear abuse of power, is not what (any level-headed) Jews are wanting, and only serves to escalate the situation, empower the protesters, and actually increase the likelihood of retaliation against Jews.

As I said yesterday, I am really tired of non-Jews using antisemitism as justification for carrying out their authoritarian fantasies. 

what if Jews used antisemitism as justification for carrying out their authoritarian fantasies?

agreed that is intimidation and should not happen. Pro-Palestinian groups need to select venues carefully, unless the synagogue is holding a pro-Israel fundraiser then it's fair game.  Also would like to add that nothing that flows from this political conflict is antisemitic at the root; anti-Semitism is something completely different , deeper, pernicious, historical, much more religious than political. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Seriously, these claims of antisemitism and that American Jews are threatened is just complete 100% bullshit. Even the more extreme signs like “End Israel” at, least from the vast majority of Americans, is talking about the country that has gone rogue, not the people. I just can’t anymore with this country. There’s no shared reality among us, only lies and intellectual dishonesty. 

Goes along with the "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU" argument that @henrygandorf and I have discussed for years now regarding the the political bullshit in today's world. Wanting Israel to stop killing innocent Palestinians is not "anti-Semitic". It doesn't mean people want Jews to suffer. It's a completely disingenuous argument but part and parcel in our current society. We have become so selfish and narcissistic that our ability to critically think has completely vanished. 

If anyone has read a book/article that speaks in more detail about this, please let me know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

BUT

Good post. There will always be bad actors. Having the ability to focus on larger picture instead of a few bad incidents is the right move.

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Goes along with the "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU" argument that @henrygandorf and I have discussed for years now regarding the the political bullshit in today's world. Wanting Israel to stop killing innocent Palestinians is not "anti-Semitic". It doesn't mean people want Jews to suffer. It's a completely disingenuous argument but part and parcel in our current society. We have become so selfish and narcissistic that our ability to critically think has completely vanished. 

If anyone has read a book/article that speaks in more detail about this, please let me know. 

Well, these are the same people that brought you "The schools can't teach the ugly parts of US history because it might hurt little Kayden's feelings", so I'm not sure that we're going to make a whole lot of progress here.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

Well, these are the same people that brought you "The schools can't teach the ugly parts of US history because it might hurt little Kayden's feelings", so I'm not sure that we're going to make a whole lot of progress here.

Oh, we're definitely fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hartzell damn well provide receipts on how UT rules were broken. But, even if he can make a credible case rules were broken, he still has demonstrated he isn’t smart enough to do his job. He called the cops, and not the fire department.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I can find the exact post where Brisket excused of all sorts of things for not supporting funding Ukraine, which seems to match the post I quoted save for Israel/Ukraine mix up. But I don't recall Brisket ever advocating that we absolutely need to fund Israel militarily. To be clear, he has expressed views both supportive of Israelis when they were attacked and condemning Israel for its current military campaign. But I've never seen him say that we need to fund Israel and not doing so is supporting terrorism. If you have that post, please point to it. But my belief is that you're conflating these events because in your mind they are all related to the US MIC that you oppose. 

Go to the search bar, type in "N per 100" or maybe "c130" and see where it takes you. Warning: you are going to have to read multiple posts and follow the thread of discussion. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Go to the search bar, type in "N per 100" or maybe "c130" and see where it takes you. Warning: you are going to have to read multiple posts and follow the thread of discussion. 

Done. At no point does Brisket call you a terrorist for not supporting military aid to Israel. You made up that strawman all on your own. Par for the course for you. 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, Anastasis said:

That's not how this works. If you point out the absolute absurdity and inconsistency in American foreign policy you are basically a terrorist. If you ask for an assessment based on long-run outcomes, you are called aggy with no hint of self reflection. If you consider historical context behind any of this, it is [boogeymen of your choosing] talking point. There are no objective rules. There is no order. And there is only Pax if you squint your eyes. Just punch the fucking ticket. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Done. At no point does Brisket call you a terrorist for not supporting military aid to Israel. You made up that strawman all on your own. Par for the course for you. 

You are really incapable of tracking the beat. Par for the course. Kinda amazing you grabbed that post, and not the ones that preceded it. Brisket don't need you white knighting for him. If he objects to me welcoming his evolution in tone on this topic over the last few months, or any aspect of my characterization otherwise, he is certainly capable of registering it. 

On 12/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, Anastasis said:

FIFY. We can do this all fucking day. We both know that this is a deep and fundamentally broken geopolitical situation. You are just happy to keep on with the status quo sending C130s full of bombs paid for by American taxpayers to one side so that side can do the slow and just-acceptable-enough-to-you genocide thing to the other. This is the decency of the rules based international order and the Pax Americana afterall at stake. 

On 12/13/2023 at 5:59 PM, Brisketexan said:

And you're just happy to push for measures that will please Hamas, Iran, Hezbollah, and the usual crew you somehow always tend to side with.  Invariably.  Every.  Single.  Fucking.  Time.  With zero deviation from the course.  Yeah.  We can indeed do this all fucking day.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You are really incapable of tracking the beat. Par for the course. Kinda amazing you grabbed that post, and not the ones that preceded it. Brisket don't need you white knighting for him. If he objects to me welcoming his evolution in tone on this topic over the last few months, or any aspect of my characterization otherwise, he is certainly capable of registering it. 

That post doesn't say or imply what you think it does. Brisket expressly called you out on that during the exchange. Again, you're happy to misrepresent past events, happy to conflate issues, and happy to imply or suggest things, but rarely outright state them. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

yes, but shouldn't take years to figure this out, should be 2 seconds.  I'm poking you in jest, but this is the #1 problem in cultural thinking, same mistake that the Austin City Councilwoman made.  People are seriously oversensitive to Jewish feelings, obviously due to the Holocaust, and Zionists won't stand in the way of correcting that incorrect correlation. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

BUT

This is perfectly stated and I will be borrowing (stealing) it.

It's chickenshit to arrest someone for a particular crime and then charge them for something completely different as is the case with the Fox cameraman. Why do we as a society tolerate the qualified immunity defense? 

• Rage+1 2

I think it's a good time to reflect a moment.

What we witnessed on the 40 Acres yesterday was a profound example of injustice, favoritism, and abuse of state power. If you are motivated to protest, to change things, to resist, that is all part of the human experience. Humans are innately drawn to freedom, and when they are not free, they are drawn to emancipatory forces.

However upset we are about seeing our fellow Longhorns briefly subjected to unprovoked violence by the state, I hope we also reflect on how those valid feelings are and for generations have been elicited by the people of Gaza and the West Bank. They, too, are motivated to protest, to change things, and to resist. Those people are not free and have never known freedom, so they are drawn to emancipatory forces.

I think we should reflect on how it's all too easy for us, living in our "free" (relative to Gaza) countries, to tsk tsk at Palestinians for sympathizing with (and in a few cases, providing material support to) a particular emancipatory force of which we disapprove. We can rightly condemn the killing and kidnapping of civilians. These people have suffered unimaginably, several orders of magnitude greater injustices than the injustice currently responsible boiling our blood. Consider, if you can, how much rage would be within you if DPS had been as brutal to your loved ones on campus as IDF is to people who are forced to drive with green license plates.

You have every right to wish the worst for Abbott, the board of regents, and every other crony who made this possible. All I ask is that we also acknowledge that nothing in Israel happens in a vacuum, and much of the rage in that region depicted in the media is as valid if not more so than the rage we feel towards Abbott. We shouldn't act so surprised or clutch pearls when a few people took the predictable step of seeking emancipation through the only means available to them.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

It's chickenshit to arrest someone for a particular crime and then charge them for something completely different as is the case with the Fox cameraman. Why do we as a society tolerate the qualified immunity defense? 

Because the state has a monopoly on violence and it uses that monopoly to suppress dissent.

Hamas is a terrorist and criminal religious extremist group. It is not an “emancipatory force.” Don’t try to sneak that bullshit in here.

Also your post is complete pseudo-intellectual twaddle that tries to make a stupid point sound smart:

”Since you’re angry at cops for beating up and arresting peaceful protestors, shouldn’t you also be more open to sympathizing with Hamas.” 

No, we shouldn’t. That’s dumb AF. Just type what you mean, leftist communication is the WORST. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Hamas is a terrorist and criminal religious extremist group. It is not an “emancipatory force.” Don’t try to sneak that bullshit in here.

Also your post is complete pseudo-intellectual twaddle that tries to make a stupid point sound smart:

”Since you’re angry at cops for beating up and arresting peaceful protestors, shouldn’t you also be more open to sympathizing with Hamas.” 

No, we shouldn’t. That’s dumb AF. Just type what you mean, leftist communication is the WORST. 

who are you quoting?  Also the correlation in the bold doesn't make sense. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

It makes zero sense which is why I am calling out the prattle you have to wade through in Chainsaw’s post:

However upset we are about seeing our fellow Longhorns briefly subjected to unprovoked violence by the state, I hope we also reflect on how those valid feelings are and for generations have been elicited by the people of Gaza and the West Bank. They, too, are motivated to protest, to change things, and to resist. Those people are not free and have never known freedom, so they are drawn to emancipatory forces.

I think we should reflect on how it's all too easy for us, living in our "free" (relative to Gaza) countries, to tsk tsk at Palestinians for sympathizing with (and in a few cases, providing material support to) a particular emancipatory force of which we disapprove. 

“A particular emancipatory force of which we disapprove,” LOL.  That’s Hamas. Just type Hamas. 

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

He's responding to chainsaw. And while that should certainly be done because chainsaw says some crazy stuff, he's also dealing with internal conflict right now because right before his eyes he is seeing that the work done by him and others to convince the world that any anti-Israel sentiment after Hamas's disgusting attack is inherently anti-semitic has enabled and encouraged fascist government violence. Exactly like many here told him it would and he refused to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It makes zero sense which is why I am calling out the prattle you have to wade through in Chainsaw’s post:

“A particular emancipatory force of which we disapprove,” LOL.  That’s Hamas. Just type Hamas. 

most people here are against the cop abuse =/= they support Hamas.  Good grief. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He's responding to chainsaw. And while that should certainly be done because chainsaw says some crazy stuff, he's also dealing with internal conflict right now because right before his eyes he is seeing that the work done by him and others to convince the world that any anti-Israel sentiment after Hamas's disgusting attack is inherently anti-semitic has enabled and encouraged fascist government violence. Exactly like many here told him it would and he refused to believe. 

I basically agree with @Chuckie Finster’s post word for word.  Plenty of room for self-reflection to go around, I’d say. 

59 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Dude, the only thing I asked was for reflection and it's clear from your mechanical pushback and accusations that some people aren't ready to accept that Palestinians are human beings worthy of human rights or capable of experiencing the same kind of anger we're feeling. If you think there existed any emancipatory alternatives to Hamas in 2023, by all means, enlighten us.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Dude, the only thing I asked was for reflection and it's clear from your mechanical pushback and accusations that some people aren't ready to accept that Palestinians are human beings worthy of human rights or capable of experiencing the same kind of anger we're feeling. If you think there existed any emancipatory alternatives to Hamas in 2023, by all means, enlighten us.

There were and remain a world of options open to Palestinians and people who support Palestinians other than “join Hamas or support Hamas.”  Trying to sneak that sort of binary in here is, ironically, the same binary that Abbott and Co. are pushing. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There were and remain a world of options open to Palestinians and people who support Palestinians other than “join Hamas or support Hamas.”  Trying to sneak that sort of binary in here is, ironically, the same binary that Abbott and Co. are pushing. 

the choice is violence against the Israeli army, settlers, or Jewish civilians within Israel - the other binary option is non violence which is also just as fruitless because Israel will do whatever it feels like doing.  Either way, the Arabs cannot do anything at all against Jewish power. 

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Brush up on your critical thinking a bit. There's a reason why Hamas is the only available option for people seeking emancipation. That is one of many reasons why I made sure to remind readers that nothing in the Middle East happens in a vacuum.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure if pic will load.  Very both sides but respectful.  UTPD have everything shut down around the tower and south/west malls.  Lots of chanting and banners but everybody is being cool.  Officers are continuing to set up more barricades but no DPS presence yet.  Only got into tower using a pass admin gave me.   Again; cordial but very much a palpable undertaste of tension.  But UTPD being obvious but chill.  I’m wondering where DPS In all this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Not sure if pic will load.  Very both sides but respectful.  UTPD have everything shut down around the tower and south/west malls.  Lots of chanting and banners but everybody is being cool.  Officers are continuing to set up more barricades but no DPS presence yet.  Only got into tower using a pass admin gave me.   Again; cordial but very much a palpable undertaste of tension.  But UTPD being obvious but chill.  I’m wondering where DPS In all this.  

It's almost if DPS had never showed up yesterday, the same thing would have happened.

• Hook 'Em 7

Good! Most cases from yesterday dropped: https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/25/ut-austin-palestinian-arrests-criminal-cases/?utm_source=Texas+Tribune+Newsletters&utm_campaign=b8818d6c40-trib-newsletters-breaking-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d9a68d8efc-b8818d6c40-102902408&mc_cid=b8818d6c40

You don't say? "A spokesperson for Travis County Attorney Delia Garza said law enforcement lacked probable cause in the 46 cases she dismissed. Probable cause is the reason law enforcement provides to justify arrests."

Edited by YChang

7 minutes ago, YChang said:

Good! Most cases from yesterday dropped: https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/25/ut-austin-palestinian-arrests-criminal-cases/?utm_source=Texas+Tribune+Newsletters&utm_campaign=b8818d6c40-trib-newsletters-breaking-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d9a68d8efc-b8818d6c40-102902408&mc_cid=b8818d6c40

You don't say? "A spokesperson for Travis County Attorney Delia Garza said law enforcement lacked probable cause in the 46 cases she dismissed. Probable cause is the reason law enforcement provides to justify arrests."

how many remain active? Isn't there a website for that?

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

It's almost if DPS had never showed up yesterday, the same thing would have happened.

Ding ding ding.

DPS was not dispatched like a fucking military force to KEEP the peace.  They were dispatched for the express purpose of "cracking skulls."  So...like....the exact opposite of "keeping the peace."

If you show up somewhere geared up to fight, and hollering "you fuckers wanna fight me?  You want some?  LET'S GO!".....then the chances of there being a fight are 1000X times higher than if you don't show up at all, or show up and are chill.

I remember when UT advanced to the Elite Eight in 1990.  Students spontaneously gathered on the drag and the W. Mall, cheering and celebrating.  We even crowded the street, blocking traffic on Guadalupe.  APD dispatched some cops, pretty much in regular uniform.  They gently cleared us to the sidewalks, opening up the street.  I think they arrested a coupla dudes who were jumping up and down on a bus.  But once the crowd got in order, they functionally withdrew, sending a solid unspoken message of "have your fun, but behave."  And that's exactly what happened.  Instead of showing up and spoiling for a fight, they showed up, made sure that shit didn't get out of hand, and then backed off.  It was a perfect exercise in how to keep the peace.

Our current State leadership isn't interested in that.  Not in the least.  They are too busy enjoying their "Johnny's First Fascist Regime" playset.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Brush up on your critical thinking a bit. There's a reason why Hamas is the only available option for people seeking emancipation. That is one of many reasons why I made sure to remind readers that nothing in the Middle East happens in a vacuum.

Ok. Abbot says that the everyone protesting for Palestinian emancipation is supporting Hamas. You say that people seeking Palestinian emancipation have no choice but to support Hamas. 

Lean into that, I guess?  Good luck. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ding ding ding.

DPS was not dispatched like a fucking military force to KEEP the peace.  They were dispatched for the express purpose of "cracking skulls."  So...like....the exact opposite of "keeping the peace."

If you show up somewhere geared up to fight, and hollering "you fuckers wanna fight me?  You want some?  LET'S GO!".....then the chances of there being a fight are 1000X times higher than if you don't show up at all, or show up and are chill.

I remember when UT advanced to the Elite Eight in 1990.  Students spontaneously gathered on the drag and the W. Mall, cheering and celebrating.  We even crowded the street, blocking traffic on Guadalupe.  APD dispatched some cops, pretty much in regular uniform.  They gently cleared us to the sidewalks, opening up the street.  I think they arrested a coupla dudes who were jumping up and down on a bus.  But once the crowd got in order, they functionally withdrew, sending a solid unspoken message of "have your fun, but behave."  And that's exactly what happened.  Instead of showing up and spoiling for a fight, they showed up, made sure that shit didn't get out of hand, and then backed off.  It was a perfect exercise in how to keep the peace.

Our current State leadership isn't interested in that.  Not in the least.  They are too busy enjoying their "Johnny's First Fascist Regime" playset.

I have a public information request into the University to try and find this out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ok. Abbot says that the everyone protesting for Palestinian emancipation is supporting Hamas. You say that people seeking Palestinian emancipation have no choice but to support Hamas. 

Lean into that, I guess?  Good luck. 

meaning you support free speech restrictions on Palestinian protestors. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Fuck You 1