Getting old sucks

Hate

I've had what I hope is tendinitis in my shoulder for a few weeks now, but it's not getting any better. It actually hurts more when I'm not moving it and it's just resting. I've put off going to the doctor, but not sure I can last much longer. Just hoping it's not a rotator cuff. 

I've had what I hope is tendinitis in my shoulder for a few weeks now, but it's not getting any better. It actually hurts more when I'm not moving it and it's just resting. I've put off going to the doctor, but not sure I can last much longer. Just hoping it's not a rotator cuff. 
I'm dealing with bicept tendinitis. Got a shot about 9 mths ago. Better then it got worse. My buddy who is my ortho sent me to get a sonagram injection right into the tendon. That doc commented that my tendon was "out of its track". Said we can try this but probably won't work as a permanent solution. 3 months later pain is returning. Fuck. Sounds like surgery is in my near future
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm dealing with bicept tendinitis. Got a shot about 9 mths ago. Better then it got worse. My buddy who is my ortho sent me to get a sonagram injection right into the tendon. That doc commented that my tendon was "out of its track". Said we can try this but probably won't work as a permanent solution. 3 months later pain is returning. Fuck. Sounds like surgery is in my near future

Is it at the shoulder end or the elbow end? If it's at the upper end you can try draping your arm over a Smith machine bar and roll it around, kind of like rolling it on a lax ball. It's been effective for me in the past, but it does hurt a bit. 

Yep.  I'm still playing soccer after all these years.  Metallic knees and all.  I can't walk away just yet.  First game this past Sunday.  I hadn't done a ton of preparation/exercise over the past 3 months, so I was worried about how my body would react.  Turns out, it wasn't an issue.  I pinched a nerve in my neck the morning of, picking up my soccer bag.  On the IR before getting into the car.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  I'm still playing soccer after all these years.  Metallic knees and all.  I can't walk away just yet.  First game this past Sunday.  I hadn't done a ton of preparation/exercise over the past 3 months, so I was worried about how my body would react.  Turns out, it wasn't an issue.  I pinched a nerve in my neck the morning of, picking up my soccer bag.  On the IR before getting into the car.

You're a better man than I am. I'd love to participate in some form of athletic competition,  but just going to the grocery store and having to take several breaks due to pain kind of dims my hopes of it ever happening. 

Yeah, I'm jealous...

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You're a better man than I am. I'd love to participate in some form of athletic competition,  but just going to the grocery store and having to take several breaks due to pain kind of dims my hopes of it ever happening. 

Yeah, I'm jealous...

My wife and my work wives (the teachers at school) have been bitching at me to quit for years.  I play on Sundays, then limp until about Thursday.  Just as I'm feeling good again, next game up.  Problem is I don't like to exercise.  I just like to compete.  If I quit soccer, it's not like I'll take up jogging, yoga, or some other form of healthy activity.  I'll just get fat.  Luckily for me, teaching requires me to be on my feet for 12,000+ steps a day, which helps.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Nobody needs more golf in their life

Troof! Faggety leisure activity, not a sport.

Golf was ruined for me in my childhood...

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

So, a few weeks ago I busted my ass after stepping on one of my nephew’s toy cars in the middle of the night.  Majority of the damage was to the foot and ankle.  I was once a pretty competitive basketball player, so I’ve dealt with my fair share of sprained ankles over the years.  This one hasn’t healed like I was expecting it to.  Still not feeling great.  I can walk fine, but something is clearly not right with my foot.  Heading to the bone cracker this morning expecting the worst.  On a positive note, I met my deductible in January, so whatever happens should have minimal financial pain.  On a negative note, I met my not small deductible in the first month of the year.

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Troof! Faggety leisure activity, not a sport.

Golf was ruined for me in my childhood...

I can understand not liking golf, but I’m not sure I get why it needs to be expressed with that  term in this day and age. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been too afraid to try and play competitively with both knees rep!aced, even running makes me uneasy.  I just don't trust them to handle sudden stops, starts and pivots for basketball and such. 

8 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

I can understand not liking golf, but I’m not sure I get why it needs to be expressed with that  term in this day and age. 

And golf is really pretty good exercise, but also low impact for the most part.

Developed pain in my upper right ass cheek.
wtf?
This was me a few months back and it's from a compression fracture on my T12. Nerves and shit run down through the ass and it hurts like a MOFO to stand up at times.

Doc gave me some gabapentin and that helps a lot.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 6:50 AM, Frank The Tank said:

I assumed he was referring to that lead singer of CCR. 

golf’s alright. Let’s be honest, it’s minimal exercise the way I see most of yall play it though. 

Edited by troph

Heel pain rounding 12 months of pissing me off. I could be almost out of the woods. Rolled on to the tennis court like a country club gangsta Monday and tweaked my back within 5 mins. Kept playing but couldn’t move very well after that. 

it’s all piss and vinegar boys. 

21 minutes ago, troph said:

I assumed he was referring to that lead singer of CCR. 

golf’s alright. Let’s be honest, it’s minimal exercise the way I see most of yall play it though. 

I quit playing golf more than 25 years ago.  The only part of it I ever really enjoyed was the drinking and giving each other shit part.  The game itself bores me.  And any exercise that was done was more than offset by copious amounts of drinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Forgive me. ut has become my only "safe space" to express acceptance of death shit Im going thru'

It real and it scared me this weekend

The stroke itself would've sucked, Occuring Ap. 20 made a shit a runny one, from a sooner. My first phys therapy didn't happen until 23. Family sold house out from underneath me, haven't spoken with a family member since 21.. and the economy,, cost of living Tay Tay at the Suberb Owl...

I think that would kill just about anybody,, and I feel my body quitting.. very slowly  but this has been stuck in this gear for a while

Anyhew...I do enjoy ,,the stopping and smelling the roses moments,,its really nice to ..let go of anger

But Im scared...and for some reason I am sharing this

hey at least let me live long enough for HORNS  to win a Natty again

fuck Willie Nelson might outlive me

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Forgive me. ut has become my only "safe space" to express acceptance of death shit Im going thru'

It real and it scared me this weekend

The stroke itself would've sucked, Occuring Ap. 20 made a shit a runny one, from a sooner. My first phys therapy didn't happen until 23. Family sold house out from underneath me, haven't spoken with a family member since 21.. and the economy,, cost of living Tay Tay at the Suberb Owl...

I think that would kill just about anybody,, and I feel my body quitting.. very slowly  but this has been stuck in this gear for a while

Anyhew...I do enjoy ,,the stopping and smelling the roses moments,,its really nice to ..let go of anger

But Im scared...and for some reason I am sharing this

hey at least let me live long enough for HORNS  to win a Natty again

fuck Willie Nelson might outlive me

The only way that I know how to respond is to let you know that I wish you comfort and love while you are on this journey.

• Like 7

On 3/5/2024 at 6:50 AM, Frank The Tank said:

On 3/5/2024 at 9:40 PM, Ignatius said:

Don’t be a fucking homo…

Full disclosure,  as a kid I had a perverted uncle who wanted to teach me the game of golf. The balls he was interested in weren't dimpled...fucking bastard. 

• Rage+1 2

14 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The only way that I know how to respond is to let you know that I wish you comfort and love while you are on this journey.

Thank you,, Im sorry,, I guess thats a lot   

sharing out loud when I  should be sleeping

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Full disclosure,  as a kid I had a perverted uncle who wanted to teach me the game of golf. The balls he was interested in weren't dimpled...fucking bastard. 

Man, that’s rough. Sorry Shooter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Thank you,, Im sorry,, I guess thats a lot   

sharing out loud when I  should be sleeping

Fuck that shit. You be awake whenever, however, and whyever you want. 

Making a small assumption, I'll be 81 in a few weeks, and I guarantee you I have the same feelings as you - at least similar, anyway.

Sometimes I get scared about dying, even though I am 99.999999999 percent certain that the "I" who is typing these words is NOT part of my body, and that in fact the reverse is true, the body is a part of the "I". Then I meditate about it, and I find out that it's not the death of my body that really bothers me, it's that I'm not done yet... there are things I feel I need to do, people I need to say "I love you" to, just one more time.

Mom always said "You in-box won't be empty the day you die, so don't worry about it."

Like these other guys hereabouts, I'm there for you if you need to talk - or type, or whatever. PM me of you want.

Oh, and by the way, the results of Quantum Physics are correct about the fact: everything in Universe is connected to everthing else. Always has been, is now, always will be. Feel alone? You're not.

• Like 7

On 3/6/2024 at 7:27 AM, troph said:

Heel pain rounding 12 months of pissing me off. I could be almost out of the woods. Rolled on to the tennis court like a country club gangsta Monday and tweaked my back within 5 mins. Kept playing but couldn’t move very well after that. 

it’s all piss and vinegar boys. 

Bone spur in heel?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Bone spur in heel?

Two rounds of X-rays say no. I think it’s getting better slowly doctor says just bad plantar fasciitis. But it’s the third time in 15 years. So who knows.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Two rounds of X-rays say no. I think it’s getting better slowly doctor says just bad plantar fasciitis. But it’s the third time in 15 years. So who knows.

Stretching your calf correctly is the key to fixing heel issues.  Trigger point therapy does wonders. 

An easy stretch is the place your calf onto of your other knee.  Push down and move your foot up and down and around in circles.  Move a couple inches and do it again.  Work the calf from top to bottom until you've covered the whole calf.  

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stretching your calf correctly is the key to fixing heel issues.  Trigger point therapy does wonders. 

An easy stretch is the place your calf onto of your other knee.  Push down and move your foot up and down and around in circles.  Move a couple inches and do it again.  Work the calf from top to bottom until you've covered the whole calf.  

Yeah I don’t totally follow your instructions but I’ve been using these…

image.jpg

foam roller on my calf to work out knots. The band to stretch my calf. 

I get a sports massage 2x a month and stretch the fuck out of my legs from my hips all the way down to my big toe. She hits all the pressure points. It’s not a resort style massage at all. 

I’m getting there. 

* to be fair, my heel is now like 95% okay for ordinary life, it’s playing singles tennis like I’m 30 that’s hard. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Yeah I don’t totally follow your instructions but I’ve been using these…

Yeah.  It's difficult to explain.  Cross your legs with the injured leg on top.  Center the top calf on the other kneecap.

I used to get Achilles tendinitis and PF when running.  Deep stretching of the calf made all the difference.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Two weeks out from knee replacement surgery, Doctor says it's looking great. I guess I'd hate to see one that's not looking great. 

Hide contents

You sure? It's not pretty 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20240309-155050_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c8f099b19081c3ffb0400a92db809c02.jpg

Looks a lot like both of mine did in 2005. I played golf or something similar 8 weeks after they were replaced. That looks pretty good. I’m sitting in a holiday inn express as I type this and it looks good to me. 

14 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Two weeks out from knee replacement surgery, Doctor says it's looking great. I guess I'd hate to see one that's not looking great. 

Reveal hidden contents

You sure? It's not pretty 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20240309-155050_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c8f099b19081c3ffb0400a92db809c02.jpg

Here’s mine +2.5 years. Do yourself a favor and don’t Google pictures of bad outcomes.  I see you didn’t go for the monogram option. 

IMG_5849.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Looks a lot like both of mine did in 2005. I played golf or something similar 8 weeks after they were replaced. That looks pretty good. I’m sitting in a holiday inn express as I type this and it looks good to me. 

A client of my brother (who owns a gym) had a knee replacement called a "Jiffy Knee". Avoids cutting through a lot of the muscles and tendons of a "traditional" replacement (the pic attached is him, you can see the incision is more to the side than the ones I'm used to seeing). He was walking with a cane and almost no apparent pain the day after the surgery. Played golf two weeks later. 

He was a former CEO for an insurance company you've heard of, so I tend to think this wasn't some fly-by-night experimental surgery.

If I ever need a knee replaced, I know I'll at least look into it.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 6.14.12 PM.png

Well to be clear the normal method doesn't cut through any tendons or muscles either.  They move the patella and associated quads and tendons out of the way.  All that movement creates stress in the joint and accompanying swelling and pain. Be interested to see what’s different in this method.