Another School Shooting

Loco

Gunfire erupted inside a suburban Denver middle school Tuesday, wounding at least eight people before two suspects were taken into custody, authorities said.

Douglas County Undersheriff Holly Nicholson-Kluth said she did not believe there were any other shooters, but tactical teams were still conducting a room-by-room search of the building. She did not know if there were fatalities or offer any details about the wounded.

The shooting occurred at the middle school at STEM School Highlands Ranch, a public charter school with more than 1,850 students in kindergarten through 12th grades. The Highlands Ranch community is about 15 miles south of Denver.

Deputies responded around 1:50 p.m. to the school, which is near a sheriff's department substation, and officers got there almost immediately, Nicholson-Kluth said.

"As officers were arriving at the school, they could still hear gunshots," she said

Rocco DeChalk, who lives near the school, told television station KUSA that he saw so many students running past his house that at first he thought it was a gym class. He went outside and saw a teenage boy who had been shot in the back being helped by a teacher and another student.

They brought the boy into his kitchen and alerted a police officer, who sent for an ambulance.

"He made a comment, 'Oh, I'm starting to feel it now,'" DeChalk said. "I told him that was probably the adrenaline kicking in and he was going into shock."

Lines of firetrucks, ambulances and law enforcement vehicles from multiple agencies were at the school, and medical helicopters landed on a grassy field.

The sheriff's office directed parents to a nearby recreational center to pick up their children. A fleet of school buses arrived and dropped off students, some of whom were crying and holding hands with their classmates as they were helped off. An ambulance also pulled up and let out a half-dozen children, none of whom appeared to be physically injured.

"We know this is a very worrisome situation for parents," Nicholson-Kluth said. "Relatives are worried, and we are trying to get them back together as soon as possible."

Gov. Jared Polis said in a statement that he was making state public-safety resources available to help secure the site and evacuate students.

"The heart of all Colorado is with the victims and their families," he said.

The shooting comes nearly three weeks after neighboring Littleton marked the grim 20th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting that killed 13 people. The two schools are separated by about 7 miles in communities south of Denver.

Democratic Rep. Jason Crow, a gun-control supporter whose congressional district includes STEM, said the gun violence cannot continue.

"It is not enough to send thoughts and prayers. It is empty. It is weak, and it does an injustice to our children who are on the front lines of this violence," he said.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What an asshole 

Plural

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/shots-fired-at-stem-school-highlands-ranch

The Douglas County Sheriff said that shots were fired at STEM School Highlands Ranch. The situation at the school is still considered an active investigation.

"We know that two individuals walked into the STEM School, got deep inside the school and engaged students in two separate locations," said Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spulock. "There were a number of students that were shot and injured, almost immediately after the first gunshots were fired."

Eight students are injured and were transported to area hospitals, Spurlock said. Several are in critical condition.

The suspects, one identified as an adult male, the other as a juvenile male are in custody. No names of suspects or the injured have been released. "Both of the suspects, we believe, are students of the STEM school" and are uninjured, Spurlock said.

Undersheriff Holly Nicholson-Kluth said a school resource officer and other officers responded to a call of shots fired at 1:53 p.m. Two minutes after the report, deputies arrived and moved in. A sheriff's substation is nearby the school and authorities responded quickly and in force.

"As officers were arriving at the school they could still hear gunshots," Nicholson-Kluth said.

She said the situation started in the middle school and was reported by a school admin. STEM is a public K-12 charter school of more than 1,850 students.

The school is now secure and no third suspect — a rumor from earlier — has been found. Spurlock said all suspects were in custody and the interior crime scene will be handled by the FBI. A vehicle belonging to one of the suspects is still at the school and authorities are obtaining warrants to search it and the suspects' homes.

"I have to believe that the quick response of the officers that got inside that school helped save lives," Spurlock said.

One of the suspects, a student, has been identified:

https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/devon-erickson-devin/

devon.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=531

BTW, Twitter has been censoring the hell out of itself this afternoon and evening.  This name was out theere hours ago because people heard it on the police scanner.  It was briefly on Twitter, then for a few hours you couldn't find a single mention when searching te exact name.  Now that a news outlet has published the name, they've backed off.

There were several other pertinent details picked up off the scanners that got scrubbed by the heavily PC Twitter censors that still aren't showing up in a search.

Edited by clapclapclap

One of the suspects, a student, has been identified:
https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/devon-erickson-devin/
devon.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=531

BTW, Twitter has been censoring the hell out of itself this afternoon and evening.  This name was out theere hours ago because people heard it on the police scanner.  It was briefly on Twitter, then for a few hours you couldn't find a single mention when searching te exact name.  Now that a news outlet has published the name, they've backed off.
There were several other pertinent details picked up off the scanners that got scrubbed by the heavily PC Twitter censors that still aren't showing up in a search.

He looks like the kid from Happy Gilmore.
  • Like 8

I know it's early, but I want to go on record praising the police...  they rushed in and saved lives...no doubt. Unlike the Broward Sheriffs who cowered in cars till the shooter left and was at McDonalds...  meanwhile kids bled out

Compare the Colorado response to this inexcusable shit...  http://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/sfl-parkland-school-shooting-critical-moments/#nt=oft12aH-1la1

Well done Douglas County Sheriffs..   well fucking done!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, she’s probably Forrest Gump level retarded. I think she’s one of the mothers against people.

Wow so terrible. A mom who doesn't want their children killed at school due to guns. GASP!

38 minutes ago, tucker said:

Wow so terrible. A mom who doesn't want their children killed at school due to guns. GASP!

Yet takes the time to chastise a little girl, whom was caught up in the moment of a horrific incident, and was praying.  Real winner there.  

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Thoughts and prayers. Blame it on “mental health” but do absolutely nothing to actually try to help mental health. Rinse, repeat. Deja vu.

So what exactly are the mental illness flags in this case that you think could be acted upon?  What intervention measures would you have used before any crime was committed?

The adult killer, Devon Erickson, expressed some anger issues on social media, but it was mostly involving politics, LGBT issues, and perhaps what could be interpreted by some as anti-Christian statements.   One of them has a sticker on their car saying "F society!  If that was enough for authorities to do mental wellness check intervention half the CR posters would be involuntarily institutionalized.  Are you sure that's what you want?

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/adult-suspect-in-stem-school-shooting-expected-in-court-wednesday-3-students-remain-in-hospital 

Spurlock adjusted what he said Tuesday and said the juvenile suspect in the shooting, whose name and age has not been released, was a female. He originally said the suspect was male on Tuesday, but said Wednesday that officials originally thought the suspect was male by their “appearance.”

Sources told Denver7 late Tuesday that the juvenile suspect is in the process of transitioning from female to male.

So until after the shooting, these days it would be highly risky and raise a crap storm to suggest there might be mental illness involved with the juvenile.  The social media and CR mobs could get you fired for simply discussing it, might even get you charged with harassment or a hate crime in some jurisdictions.   No matter what law or regulation you change regarding mental health, good luck overcoming the SJW high hurdles, any real issues would likely be ignored and overwhelmed by charges that your 'concern' is really rooted in bigotry.

And of course any changes to mental illness regulations that involve involuntary confinement are likely to be struck down as unconstitutional based on Supreme Court rulings from decades ago.  Legislators hands are mostly tied until Congress shows the guts to take on those decisions.  It can be done, but it would be very difficult and would require broad bipartisan consensus.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yet takes the time to chastise a little girl, whom was caught up in the moment of a horrific incident, and was praying.  Real winner there.  

That isn't what being said at all.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/denver-stem-shooting-heroes-run-hide-fight/index.html

One of the three other students she mentioned is senior Brendan Bialy. His father told The New York Times that Brendan was in the classroom when two students walked in and one of them pulled a gun out of a guitar case.

Thanks a pantload, Robert Rodriquez.

10 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Also, with this and the UNCC shooting last week, it looks like the kids are the best defense.

Yeah because the adults won't do shit about it...  T&P y'all!

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

So what exactly are the mental illness flags in this case that you think could be acted upon?  What intervention measures would you have used before any crime was committed?

The adult killer, Devon Erickson, expressed some anger issues on social media, but it was mostly involving politics, LGBT issues, and perhaps what could be interpreted by some as anti-Christian statements.   One of them has a sticker on their car saying "F society!  If that was enough for authorities to do mental wellness check intervention half the CR posters would be involuntarily institutionalized.  Are you sure that's what you want?

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/adult-suspect-in-stem-school-shooting-expected-in-court-wednesday-3-students-remain-in-hospital 

Spurlock adjusted what he said Tuesday and said the juvenile suspect in the shooting, whose name and age has not been released, was a female. He originally said the suspect was male on Tuesday, but said Wednesday that officials originally thought the suspect was male by their “appearance.”

Sources told Denver7 late Tuesday that the juvenile suspect is in the process of transitioning from female to male.

So until after the shooting, these days it would be highly risky and raise a crap storm to suggest there might be mental illness involved with the juvenile.  The social media and CR mobs could get you fired for simply discussing it, might even get you charged with harassment or a hate crime in some jurisdictions.   No matter what law or regulation you change regarding mental health, good luck overcoming the SJW high hurdles, any real issues would likely be ignored and overwhelmed by charges that your 'concern' is really rooted in bigotry.

And of course any changes to mental illness regulations that involve involuntary confinement are likely to be struck down as unconstitutional based on Supreme Court rulings from decades ago.  Legislators hands are mostly tied until Congress shows the guts to take on those decisions.  It can be done, but it would be very difficult and would require broad bipartisan consensus.

I guess there’s absolutely nothing to be done and our hands are tied so we should continue to do absolutely nothing about it. Yep. That’s the plan 

That’s 5 or 6 school shootings I can think of off the top of my head where the shooters brought their guns in a guitar case. Most others the shooter either doesn’t try to hide their weapon or hides it on their person. Yet some school districts are mandating clear backpacks for students and doing nothing about guitar cases. 

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah, that's not what she's saying. At all.

I wonder how soon before schools just go totally online? I have one of mine kids in online school and she prefers it. 

It would kill the whole "learn to coexist with others" bit that we all grew up with, that's for sure. But I think the internet has already stunted the social growth of a lot of kids. They don't know how to deal with people in real life. Much easier to just block people you don't like. Not sure how to put the toothpaste back in the tube, though, the internet is here to stay.

Kendrick Castillo

His parents must be proud and absolutely devastated at the same time.

Kendrick Castillo, an 18-year-old student who was into engineering and just days away from his high school graduation, has been identified as the sole victim killed during Tuesday's shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Colorado. Castillo died trying to stop one of the armed suspects from firing, allowing his classmates to escape. He was one of several students whose heroic actions prevented further carnage.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-shooting-kendrick-castillo-stem-school-highlands-ranch/

• Like 1

The second killer has been named and appeared in court.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7008381/Classmates-reveal-second-Denver-gunman-transgender-didnt-support-needed.html

Transgender Denver high school student is identified as 'second gunman who killed one classmate and wounded eight', as friends refer to him as a 'tortured soul' who 'didn't get the support he needed'

Alec McKinney has been accused of killing one classmate, injuring eight others

Allegedly stormed STEM School Highlands Ranch with friend Devon Erickson 

Authorities have been describing McKinney as a female juvenile named Maya

But friends confirmed McKinney identifies as male and prefers to be called 'Alec' 

When McKinney appeared in court, attorney said he preferred the pronoun 'he'

Friends have taken to McKinney's Instagram to reveal he was suffering from mental health issues and 'desperately needed' help 

Excerpts:

Spoiler

Friends of McKinney revealed more details of the teen on social media, fighting back against authorities' decision to identify him as a woman and revealing that he was struggling with mental health issues. 

'Nothing that Alec and Devon did can be condoned, and they can't be defended. Their actions were terrible. But Alec is not a girl,' one friend wrote on her Instagram story. 

He at least deserves that respect. And I am so deeply sorry to anyone affected by their actions. Things like this can be prevented and they aren't. This is not okay.' 

That same friend later took to McKinney's Instagram page and revealed both he and Erickson had been troubled. 

13270842-7008381-image-a-24_155736014851

13270848-7008381-image-a-25_155736015488

13270840-7008381-image-a-26_155736015709

Another friend who took to McKinney's Instagram comments said the teen was 'really sweet and selfless'. 

'It's hard for me to accept that he did this so ofc it's hard for me to see these comments (sic).' 

'You need to understand that there are people that knew him for him before he shot a school. What he did was selfish, but I know that for the longest time he wasn't.' 

A third friend called McKinney a 'loving and selfless individual' who 'wanted nothing but the best for others'. 

'Unfortunately from the lack of help he was given or that he accepted, he reached his breaking point,' they added. 

'The Alec I knew was a genuinely loving person who couldn't have loved his friends any more than he did. No one would have guessed in a million years he was capable of doing this, but he did.' 

'Anyone can do the unthinkable when pushed too far. I am by no means trying to condone his actions, I'm trying to get the point across that this could happen to anyone and that we all need to make sure we help or friends/family personally.'  

The shooters went into the school through an entrance without metal detectors, according to police.    

They were arrested within minutes after administrators reported the gunfire. 

Sheriff Spurlock said officers engaged the suspects and there was a struggle to bring them down but neither suspect was injured in the confrontation. 

Authorities recovered three handguns and a rifle but said the latter was not used in the shooting. The two students were not old enough to buy or own the handguns. 

Student Nui Giasolli was in her British Literature class when Erickson came in late. 

'He walked to the other side of the classroom where we also had another door and he opened the door,' she told the Today Show. 'He walked back as if he was going to go back to his seat, then he walked back to the door and he closed it. The next thing I know he's pulling a gun and he's telling nobody to move.' 

Giasolli said another student lunged at the shooter, giving his peers time to dive under the desks and flee to safety.

'To be some of the kids that were brave enough to bring him down so that all of us could escape and all of us could be reunited with our families,' she said. 'They were very heroic. I can't thank them enough.' 

Josh Dutton, 18, told The Associated Press that he was close friends with Devon Erickson in middle school but hadn't seen him for four years as he went to a different high school. 

On Sunday, he spotted Erickson at a local light rail station and said he was shocked at how much his friend had changed.

Erickson wore all black, a hat and sunglasses, was significantly skinnier and didn't seem interested in talking. 

'He said he'd just turned 18 and he owned rifles,' Dutton said.

A number of students alleged on the STEM School Highlands Ranch's Google reviews that the school had issues with bullying, including one user who shared the same first name as Erickson. 

The user, who called himself 'NotSoFantasticDevon', said he was 'literally assaulted' on campus and that faculty did nothing about it. 

'The dean of students made us delete the video of the kid attacking me, and they then proceeded to suspend me for half a day,' read the review, which was posted six months ago. 

'Then they told me I was bullying the kid even though I had a list of over 10 people who saw it happen and knew I wasn't bullying the kid. Just do yourself a favor and don't let your kid go here.'  

One student claimed the school does not provide 'any support to students with confirmed mental illnesses'. 

'Additionally, bullying is a huge problem at the school. It often seems that the problem isn't even being addressed by the people who run the school, other than to milk it for money by selling "anti-bullying" fundraiser stuff, while ignoring the problem in their own halls,' they added. 

Another student claimed that '99.9 percent' of all students at  the school are 'depressed/bullied/insecure' but the 'office does nothing'.  

13269566-7008381-image-a-3_1557358133735

The second gunman who allegedly opened fire on classmates at a Denver High School has been identified as Alec McKinney 

13269568-7008381-image-m-4_1557358138080

McKinney has been accused of killing one classmate and injuring eight others alongside his friend Devon Erickson at STEM School Highlands Ranch on Tuesday. They are pictured here together at prom just a month ago 

13265198-7007799-image-m-26_155735087554

Erickson, 18, covered his face with his streaked purple hair when he made his brief court appearance on Wednesday dressed in a red prison jumpsuit and handcuffs

Edited by clapclapclap
Forgot the link and messed up the pictures. But other than that, a stellar job of posting.

21 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

That's a 16 year old?  I would have guessed 45.

That's the other one, the dude. 

How about we punish their parents for raising monsters. I dgaf about their so called "mental illness". It's basically all just boredom and narcissism. They worked themselves up into some made up drama because they don't have to worry about starvation or real existential threats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

The second killer has been named and appeared in court.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7008381/Classmates-reveal-second-Denver-gunman-transgender-didnt-support-needed.html

Transgender Denver high school student is identified as 'second gunman who killed one classmate and wounded eight', as friends refer to him as a 'tortured soul' who 'didn't get the support he needed'

Alec McKinney has been accused of killing one classmate, injuring eight others

Allegedly stormed STEM School Highlands Ranch with friend Devon Erickson 

Authorities have been describing McKinney as a female juvenile named Maya

But friends confirmed McKinney identifies as male and prefers to be called 'Alec' 

When McKinney appeared in court, attorney said he preferred the pronoun 'he'

Friends have taken to McKinney's Instagram to reveal he was suffering from mental health issues and 'desperately needed' help 

Excerpts:

Reveal hidden contents

Friends of McKinney revealed more details of the teen on social media, fighting back against authorities' decision to identify him as a woman and revealing that he was struggling with mental health issues. 

'Nothing that Alec and Devon did can be condoned, and they can't be defended. Their actions were terrible. But Alec is not a girl,' one friend wrote on her Instagram story. 

He at least deserves that respect. And I am so deeply sorry to anyone affected by their actions. Things like this can be prevented and they aren't. This is not okay.' 

That same friend later took to McKinney's Instagram page and revealed both he and Erickson had been troubled. 

13270842-7008381-image-a-24_155736014851

13270848-7008381-image-a-25_155736015488

13270840-7008381-image-a-26_155736015709

Another friend who took to McKinney's Instagram comments said the teen was 'really sweet and selfless'. 

'It's hard for me to accept that he did this so ofc it's hard for me to see these comments (sic).' 

'You need to understand that there are people that knew him for him before he shot a school. What he did was selfish, but I know that for the longest time he wasn't.' 

A third friend called McKinney a 'loving and selfless individual' who 'wanted nothing but the best for others'. 

'Unfortunately from the lack of help he was given or that he accepted, he reached his breaking point,' they added. 

'The Alec I knew was a genuinely loving person who couldn't have loved his friends any more than he did. No one would have guessed in a million years he was capable of doing this, but he did.' 

'Anyone can do the unthinkable when pushed too far. I am by no means trying to condone his actions, I'm trying to get the point across that this could happen to anyone and that we all need to make sure we help or friends/family personally.'  

The shooters went into the school through an entrance without metal detectors, according to police.    

They were arrested within minutes after administrators reported the gunfire. 

Sheriff Spurlock said officers engaged the suspects and there was a struggle to bring them down but neither suspect was injured in the confrontation. 

Authorities recovered three handguns and a rifle but said the latter was not used in the shooting. The two students were not old enough to buy or own the handguns. 

Student Nui Giasolli was in her British Literature class when Erickson came in late. 

'He walked to the other side of the classroom where we also had another door and he opened the door,' she told the Today Show. 'He walked back as if he was going to go back to his seat, then he walked back to the door and he closed it. The next thing I know he's pulling a gun and he's telling nobody to move.' 

Giasolli said another student lunged at the shooter, giving his peers time to dive under the desks and flee to safety.

'To be some of the kids that were brave enough to bring him down so that all of us could escape and all of us could be reunited with our families,' she said. 'They were very heroic. I can't thank them enough.' 

Josh Dutton, 18, told The Associated Press that he was close friends with Devon Erickson in middle school but hadn't seen him for four years as he went to a different high school. 

On Sunday, he spotted Erickson at a local light rail station and said he was shocked at how much his friend had changed.

Erickson wore all black, a hat and sunglasses, was significantly skinnier and didn't seem interested in talking. 

'He said he'd just turned 18 and he owned rifles,' Dutton said.

A number of students alleged on the STEM School Highlands Ranch's Google reviews that the school had issues with bullying, including one user who shared the same first name as Erickson. 

The user, who called himself 'NotSoFantasticDevon', said he was 'literally assaulted' on campus and that faculty did nothing about it. 

'The dean of students made us delete the video of the kid attacking me, and they then proceeded to suspend me for half a day,' read the review, which was posted six months ago. 

'Then they told me I was bullying the kid even though I had a list of over 10 people who saw it happen and knew I wasn't bullying the kid. Just do yourself a favor and don't let your kid go here.'  

One student claimed the school does not provide 'any support to students with confirmed mental illnesses'. 

'Additionally, bullying is a huge problem at the school. It often seems that the problem isn't even being addressed by the people who run the school, other than to milk it for money by selling "anti-bullying" fundraiser stuff, while ignoring the problem in their own halls,' they added. 

Another student claimed that '99.9 percent' of all students at  the school are 'depressed/bullied/insecure' but the 'office does nothing'.  

13269566-7008381-image-a-3_1557358133735

The second gunman who allegedly opened fire on classmates at a Denver High School has been identified as Alec McKinney 

13269568-7008381-image-m-4_1557358138080

McKinney has been accused of killing one classmate and injuring eight others alongside his friend Devon Erickson at STEM School Highlands Ranch on Tuesday. They are pictured here together at prom just a month ago 

13265198-7007799-image-m-26_155735087554

Erickson, 18, covered his face with his streaked purple hair when he made his brief court appearance on Wednesday dressed in a red prison jumpsuit and handcuffs

Kids shooting up schools. Part of the problem is right there in the kids responses. Praising and apologizing for murderous assholes. Of course it wasn’t their fault, they just lost their way and everyone else is to blame. Fuck both of these mentally  sick fucking murderers. Rot in hell

Wrong kid died

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2