Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

10 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

From michigan and am sick of the food here. I was in Austin for a conference and loved the food and town. What are some good dry rubs/salsas/bbq sauce I can order online everyone recommends?

I stand by the rub from this place.  It's just salt, course pepper, and granulated garlic in the right ratio.  It would be a good start for you.  Just call them and they will ship you a couple of bottles.  I use it on burgers, chicken, and whatever I'm throwing on the grill.  https://www.creeksidecookers.com/

I make my own bbq rub for smoking with Diamond Crystal salt and pepper from here:  https://reospice.com/

I haven't tried their other rubs, but the pepper is solid.

30 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Tons of different spices and rubs, but I also use the shit out of several of these: https://www.fiestaspices.com

their fajita spices are great on chicken and I have been known to use it on burgers from time to time as well. 

Agreed!  Can't go wrong with any of their offerings.  Their pinto bean spice and guisada seasonings are great!

Also, get a few cans of Rotel for your pantry.  Great for a quick taco meal with ground beef and taco seasoning.  Many other applications.  It's a pantry staple.

So is this:

https://www.mexgrocer.com/1222.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9yJBhDTARIsABKIcGYEPaNxJnaAMPTVYaA9GiGr574UgK5MOB_-tQXylKOmFp8LG0ApD-QaAmuvEALw_wcB

Amazon has it, too.  Brisket posted a quick green chile pork recipe using that salsa and it is great!  IIRC, cube a pork shoulder, brown the meat in some olive oil and add pepper with a little salt.  Add some diced onions and garlic.  Add 1-2 jars of salsa depending on the pork quantity.  I'd do 2 for anything over 2.5 lbs.  The salsa is really salty, so keep that in mind.  I think he added some cubed potatoes at this point, too.  The salsa is relatively mild, so if you like heat you might float a serrano in there.

Simmer for a couple of hours or pressure cook it for 30-45 minutes.  Let it sit for a minute if you think it is too thin.  Serve it with warm tortillas and lime wedges.  

Edited by tigol
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Super easy. Use your blackened seasoning of choice on both sides. 

Heat a skillet med/med-hot. Set aside 2TBSP of butter. Add 1tbsp to pan and immediately put fish on top of the butter. Let this side cook for aprox 2 mins (look for the edge of the fish to start turning white a bit). As you flip, put second tbsp of butter in the pan and place fish on top. Cook another aprox 2 mins (or until 165 internal). 

During the cooking process, gently shake the pan to prevent sticking and spread the butter around. 

This method works for any flat fish and couldn’t be quicker or easier. For flounder, you do the same, and after the flip, add 1tbsp of soy sauce to pan to mix with butter and fish. The butter and soy pan remnants will make the sauce. 

Adjust the starting heat of your skillet for desired color. If not getting black enough go a little hotter, and as always…. Don’t overcook!

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

It was a penis joke, but thanks all the same.

What's your "blackened seasoning of choice" (not a penis joke).

I'm slow but partial to 

Image result for idris elba

*usually make my own, but this was the HEB Blackened seasoning near the seafood station.  Solid

Edited by ChickenSandwich