Houston Texans Alleged to be a bit Racist

Patrick Bateman

Allegations of Brian Gaine, the Houston GM as of last week, targeting African-Americans to be moved out.  This is a really interesting story as there is a timing issue here which doesn't make it look good for Gaine or the Texans, who suddenly cut ties with him after 1 year.  

Yahoo and SI have it:

Explanation of their suit:

Pope’s attorney N. Lucy Chukwurah explained why the decision was made to file the lawsuit.

“My client was terminated; we are alleging it was clearly on the basis of race by Mr. Gaine, who was recently terminated by the Texans,” Chukwurah said. “My client was offered a severance. He came to me about negotiating and asked if he should sign it. I found there was more there. I wondered why he was being offered a severance.

“We discussed what his options were and filed the EEOC discrimination complaint. Prior to doing so, we got in contact with the Texans about negotiating and at least giving him a severance package that's fair. They declined to engage in that process.

“I was going to handle this the way I handle most of my claims: quietly. When the Texans terminated Mr. Gaine, that caught my attention. They terminated him a few days after they spoke with their counsel. I found that to be unusual.”

Looks like a lot of darker complexioned folks were ushered out:

In his lawsuit, Pope listed eight other black employees whom Gaine fired during his 17 months as general manager.

“It appeared, and I believe, that he was targeting all minorities in leadership positions and was set to replace them with non-African Americans. Which he did,” Pope wrote in the complaint.

The 2017 Texans’ media guide lists several black men in upper-level personnel positions: Rick Smith, executive vice president of football operations and general manager; Jimmy Raye III, vice president of player personnel and assistant GM; Jon Carr, director of college scouting; Larry Wright, assistant director of pro personnel; Mike Martin, assistant director of college scouting; and Frantzy Jourdain, national scout. Baylor, the vice president of security, also had a high-level position.

None of those men are with the Texans today.

Currently, the highest-ranking African American in the Texans’ front office is C.J. Leak, who is the assistant director of pro personnel.

“In short, every African American in the building understood that not too many of us could congregate or be seen interacting with each other even during lunch because it did not look good to the powers that be,” Pope alleged.”I believe I was discriminated against and terminated on the basis of my race and color.”

I have no idea if this gentleman's allegations grounded in reality but it's a horrible look.  How did the Texans react to Gaine's dismissal and their search for a new GM?  Allegedly by tampering!  lol.  My lord.  

If Bob McNair was alive today, would he be wondering if the inmates were running the prison?  Hmmm...

the first question that comes to mind:  Why?

Would love to see comments/ documentation on those terminations...

Edited by slorch

I love to laugh at the Texans as much as anyone, and these sure are salacious headlines, but this whole story is absurd.  If there was any merit to these allegations, the Texans would be broadcasting "WE FIRED A RACIST!!" as loud as they can.  They still owe the dude like 4 years, certainly "firing all the black people" would be some sort of breach of contract and would get the Texans some money back.

It's pretty simple: The Texans got word, most likely illegally, that Casario would come on board.  They fired Gaine to get the wheels in motion, and this hail mary lawsuit is jumping on the convenient timing with a media push.

Side note: listing the guy Gaine replaced and his assistant as two of the black folks fired by Gaine is enough to disregard that whole article.

29 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

If I have fired a total of 17 employees and 5 of them were black, then 3 of the 5 immediately hired a lawyer and tried to say it was because of their skin color, am I a racist?

3/5 of them hired a lawyer?

Did you try to compromise?

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Going to take report at face value. In this day you need alot of documents to terminate a employee. Have to show incompetence or lack of job performance. If true Texans are now the Ole Miss of the NFL

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I love to laugh at the Texans as much as anyone, and these sure are salacious headlines, but this whole story is absurd.  If there was any merit to these allegations, the Texans would be broadcasting "WE FIRED A RACIST!!" as loud as they can. 

That would in effect be broadcasting "WE FIRED A BLACK GUY TO HIRE A RACIST!!" but we feel bad about it now.

The termination for lack of experience in law enforcement smells fishy. With the background they described in the article, I understand why they would want to go another route for Security Coordinator in the first place. But to hire him on as an intern, think highly enough to promote him to Security Coordinator, then fire him after two years of experience with the org in addition to his CJ degree... For lack of experience in law enforcement? Which, by the way, is not the job? I am not privy to enough information to conclude it's a racial issue, but he was obviously lied to in regards to the reason for his termination. Which is pretty odd given the nature of employment in TX.

• Like 1